ImageImageImageImageImage

Jalen Harris Discussion

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

srotpaR
Freshman
And1: 49

Re: Thoughts on Jalen Harris? 

Post#21 » by srotpaR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:34 pm

He's a beast on 2k. leave him in the g league for a season and he becomes a 25ppg scorer the following season :lol:
Dominater wrote:
Smithers wrote:Umm...Lebron James plays for the Miami Heat...

You tryin to give everybody new sigs?
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#22 » by ItsDanger » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:20 pm

ANother 2nd rnd pick that has been injured for most of his rookie season. Hmmm.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,545

Post#23 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm

ItsDanger wrote:ANother 2nd rnd pick that has been injured for most of his rookie season. Hmmm.

He's getting secret enhancements in the lab. Also keeping his next contract cheap.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,134

Post#24 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm

When we drafted him I thought about how Steve Alford, Norm's old coach compared his work ethic to Powell. And, seeing his size and wingspan you kind of see a bit of Powell.

However, in the extended burn he got in the G-League, you can tell he is a scorer, but he doesn't really use his athleticism too well. He can make finishes at the rim and has hops but he just doesn't look like he has a high elevator like Powell did coming out of college.

Spoiler:
;ab_channel=nbagleague

I think he was fine to develop when we had Powell as a mainstay and Paul Watson Jr. as an unknown. Now that Gary Trent Jr. is likely in the future two-spot and Watson a back-up, I just don't see Harris' fit because he is not likely to be better than either of them.

He would have to prove himself as a PG and compete with Flynn because the team doesn't really need an average two guard. He is on a two-way so I could see them giving that to one of the future seconds Toronto will get in the next draft.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,527

Post#25 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:44 pm

Dalek wrote:When we drafted him I thought about how Steve Alford, Norm's old coach compared his work ethic to Powell. And, seeing his size and wingspan you kind of see a bit of Powell.

However, in the extended burn he got in the G-League, you can tell he is a scorer, but he doesn't really use his athleticism too well. He can make finishes at the rim and has hops but he just doesn't look like he has a high elevator like Powell did coming out of college.

Spoiler:
;ab_channel=nbagleague

I think he was fine to develop when we had Powell as a mainstay and Paul Watson Jr. as an unknown. Now that Gary Trent Jr. is likely in the future two-spot and Watson a back-up, I just don't see Harris' fit because he is not likely to be better than either of them.

He would have to prove himself as a PG and compete with Flynn because the team doesn't really need an average two guard. He is on a two-way so I could see them giving that to one of the future seconds Toronto will get in the next draft.

Why would be okay to have when we had powell n watson but not okay when we have Trent n Watson. I don't get that part. In your eyes he started the year as a 3rd SG and he's now a 3rd SG, what's change other than that position getting younger.

Also why can't he be better than watson ? He has way more offensive feel than watson

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Dalek
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:42 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Dalek wrote:When we drafted him I thought about how Steve Alford, Norm's old coach compared his work ethic to Powell. And, seeing his size and wingspan you kind of see a bit of Powell.

Spoiler:
;ab_channel=nbagleague

Why would be okay to have when we had powell n watson but not okay when we have Trent n Watson. I don't get that part. In your eyes he started the year as a 3rd SG and he's now a 3rd SG, what's change other than that position getting younger.

Also why can't he be better than watson ? He has way more offensive feel than watson

It is just an age and roster construct thing. Powell is in his prime and would likely get a 3 year deal to max out his production. At the tail end of that next contract you would hope that Harris would be ready to go for some minutes.

Trent and Harris are at the same age but Trent is already a much better player because he is already an NBA level scorer. Assuming Toronto signs Trent, you likely are signing a player who will only begin his prime at the end of his next deal and is likely in Toronto for the long-haul. Harris is not going to find his way into minutes because he doesn't really fit any need on defense as he is not a stopper nor on offense as he is a pretty limited to being a scorer.

With Harris you will need another year to develop him because he is quite behind developmentally being injured and missing a lot of G-League time. I don't think Watson is in need of development, he just needs minutes and he will be productive as a bench player. He also has decent defensive upside to slide into guarding threes. Basically, all he needs to be is healthy and he will play well in his role.

I guess if you think Toronto needs to carry three SGs it makes sense to keep Harris, but I don't see him getting any minutes and with two upcoming second round picks, I would assume Toronto needs a two-way for at least one pick with the other going to Gillespie who seems destined to grab the two-way after they converted Yuta -- the Gillespie decision will need to be made soon.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#27 » by Psubs » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:

Spoiler:
;ab_channel=nbagleague

Harris has good handles and smooth finishing at the rim. Watson is more like Snell and could play some backup SF with Yuta. Harris could be like the 3rd PG (a al Bembry) and 3rd SG (could be 2nd SG in a year or 2 depending on the draft).
Dalek
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dalek » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Psubs wrote:Harris has good handles and smooth finishing at the rim. Watson is more like Snell and could play some backup SF with Yuta. Harris could be like the 3rd PG (a al Bembry) and 3rd SG (could be 2nd SG in a year or 2 depending on the draft).

I agree that Harris has good handles and knows how to score but I don't think he can play the Bembry role. He isn't nearly good enough as a playmaker and he has never been a good defender even in college. Bembry isn't even that good, but you can use him as a role player.

As you mentioned, Watson can play multiple roles for Toronto which is what they strive for. I am not sure if Harris will be anything more than a two guard both from O and D perspective.

Harris is a late bloomer so I guess anything is possible, but his lack of overall visibility with the team, and how rarely he even dressed for the team even when he was healthy (and they were down bodies), makes me think they are pivoting away from him. I honestly thought it was weird that he wasn't even there for the rooking hazing sign along. Hip injury or not, he should have been there or acknowledged in some way.
PRESTIGE
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,132
Location: The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

Post#29 » by PRESTIGE » Sun May 2, 2021 3:01 am

He finally showed up today. He looks alright. Moves well and is a pesky and aware defender. Worth developing a bit more.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#30 » by Psubs » Sun May 2, 2021 4:48 am

PRESTIGE wrote:He finally showed up today. He looks alright. Moves well and is a pesky and aware defender. Worth developing a bit more.

I don't know why he got such little PT while hitting his only shot attempt.
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,474

Post#31 » by Spida888 » Sun May 2, 2021 4:55 am

Someone had to play the Watson role today ~ hit a 3 pointer and hen leave the game lol.
DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Post#32 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Sun May 2, 2021 10:31 am

How can we tell he never plays .. all I know is Raptors are high on him from some report.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,523

Post#33 » by bluerap23 » Sun May 2, 2021 5:51 pm

I mean 3 fouls in 4 minutes is not exactly good d.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#34 » by Psubs » Sun May 2, 2021 5:59 pm

RapsFan008 wrote:Someone had to play the Watson role today ~ hit a 3 pointer and hen leave the game lol.

Keeping them humble and hungry and cheap 2nd contract. :nod:
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,048

Post#35 » by Indeed » Sun May 2, 2021 6:05 pm

bluerap23 wrote:I mean 3 fouls in 4 minutes is not exactly good d.

Can't blame all of them on him, but he is still learning. His defensive awareness (in off ball defense) is lacking for sure, but on ball defense was alright.
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#36 » by Kevin Willis » Sun May 2, 2021 7:41 pm

Indeed wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:I mean 3 fouls in 4 minutes is not exactly good d.

Can't blame all of them on him, but he is still learning. His defensive awareness (in off ball defense) is lacking for sure, but on ball defense was alright.

Yeah, he's not exactly known for his D. If his D is decent he becomes a rotational player because he's a scorer with athleticism.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,403

Post#37 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun May 2, 2021 7:55 pm

Let's play him forty eight and see what we have

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,333

Post#38 » by tdotrep2 » Sun May 2, 2021 8:05 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:Let's play him forty eight and see what we have

:lol: i like it
aligator
Assistant Coach
And1: 432

Post#39 » by aligator » Sun May 2, 2021 9:42 pm

A number of current bench players will be moved out. There should be room for all of Harris, Gillespie and 2 second rounders. I
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,755

Post#40 » by ItsDanger » Sun May 2, 2021 10:47 pm

I was impressed by his aggressiveness on defense. I say give him another chance next season.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors