Objectively, what Knicks package is fair for Lillard's value?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,397

Re: Objectively, what Knicks package is fair for Lillard's value? 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Sun May 2, 2021 2:12 am

kuclas wrote:If lillard demands a trade, Portland will have to trade him regardless of how many years left in contract. Just the way the nba works with their star players. The star players have all the leverage. Of course Portland would try to get as much as they can. Knicks Will off load any of their players plus future draft picks outside of Barrett and Randle. Everyone else is tradeable. Is is fair? No. No amount of trade is ever fair with a true top 7-10 consistent nba star like lillard.

Now the Paul George trade to Clippers is interesting value (coming off 3rd in nba mvp voting). 5 first round picks plus pick swaps plus SGA. That’s a haul. But it was really a 2 for 1 deal since K Leonard came with the package. So we can’t compare that trade either.

Thank goodness he hasn’t asked for trade.

If he does, no hard feelings. We can send him to a team with quality youth and picks.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 2, 2021 2:47 am

That's the problem with these hypothetical trades for any team trading for Lillard would need to retain
enough of their core to be really competitive for Dame's core in Portland would like be better than the
leftover core in NY.

Zimpy might be correct in approx value for a Lillard trade to the Knicks for it would allow the Knicks
to pair Randle with an elite PG while Portland would finally solve their problems at SF, leaving a big
hole at PG that CJ would be challenged to fill. I might consider this type of deal if Lillard wanted out.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#23 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sun May 2, 2021 6:28 am

There isn't a package the Knicks could assemble that beats sending him to Philly for Simmons-plus (e.g., Maxey, maybe picks), which I expect would be on the table if trading Dame really became a thing.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#24 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun May 2, 2021 8:25 am

Blazers
In: Ingram / Quickley / Toppin / Robinson / Knicks 21/23

NOP
In: CJ / Covington /Dallas 23

Knicks
In: Adams / Lillard / Bledsoe
1+1=11
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#25 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun May 2, 2021 8:58 am

The question is, what would other teams offer? And would Lillard even want to go somewhere else besides to a certain team? He could reduce his value, if he says he would only go to 2-3 teams.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,597

Post#26 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 12:02 pm

Fair value for Lillard is more than the Knicks would give.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#27 » by Slim Tubby » Sun May 2, 2021 4:35 pm

JRoy wrote:
kuclas wrote:If lillard demands a trade, Portland will have to trade him regardless of how many years left in contract. Just the way the nba works with their star players. The star players have all the leverage. Of course Portland would try to get as much as they can. Knicks Will off load any of their players plus future draft picks outside of Barrett and Randle. Everyone else is tradeable. Is is fair? No. No amount of trade is ever fair with a true top 7-10 consistent nba star like lillard.

Now the Paul George trade to Clippers is interesting value (coming off 3rd in nba mvp voting). 5 first round picks plus pick swaps plus SGA. That’s a haul. But it was really a 2 for 1 deal since K Leonard came with the package. So we can’t compare that trade either.

If he does, no hard feelings. We can send him to a team with quality youth and picks.

Perfect response. There is literally no rebuttal for this. POR would have significantly better options than what NYK can offer and I don’t see Lilliard ever trying to force his way out.

If it was POR that decided it was time to move on from Lilliard, there would no shortage of offers from teams with better prospects and picks to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
NYG
RealGM

Post#28 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 5:56 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Perfect response. There is literally no rebuttal for this. POR would have significantly better options than what NYK can offer and I don’t see Lilliard ever trying to force his way out.

If it was POR that decided it was time to move on from Lilliard, there would no shortage of offers from teams with better prospects and picks to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly... what the Knicks would be willing to give for Lillard is lower than his fair value.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,071

Post#29 » by Laimbeer » Sun May 2, 2021 6:42 pm

Dame's value is getting overrated. His teams don't do much in the playoffs. He's not on the tier of players who get serious MVP consideration. He's 30 and his contract is huge - he'll be making 52.4M when he's 34.
JRoy
RealGM

Post#30 » by JRoy » Sun May 2, 2021 6:52 pm

He’s about the 10th best player in the league.

Pretty sure it would be Simmons plus to get him if he asked out.
Edrees wrote:

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,087

Post#31 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 2, 2021 6:54 pm

JRoy wrote:He’s about the 10th best player in the league.

That’s my favorite idea for both teams involved. Dame and Embiid is about as good a two player tandem as there is.
NYG
RealGM

Post#32 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 6:56 pm

Taking the Philly offer off the table what would you say are the top 3 or so Lillard offers that work cap wise?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#33 » by JRoy » Sun May 2, 2021 7:00 pm

NYG wrote:

Taking the Philly offer off the table what would you say are the top 3 or so Lillard offers that work cap wise?

Nothing off the top of my head.

I’m a big Jonathan Isaac fan but POR fans get twitches about talented to injury prone big guys.
Edrees wrote:

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,846

Post#34 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 2, 2021 7:06 pm

If Philly flames out in the playoffs, it would be interesting to say the least if they offered Simmons + for
Lillard. It would free Portland up to re-sign Powell and Simmons would play up front with Roco and Nurkic.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#35 » by yellowknifer » Sun May 2, 2021 7:09 pm

JRoy wrote:There is no combination of NYK assets that gets Lillard.

I agree. The only realistic way would be if Lillard asked out. Then maybe they would have a chance.
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 7:15 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:The question is, what would other teams offer? And would Lillard even want to go somewhere else besides to a certain team? He could reduce his value, if he says he would only go to 2-3 teams.

Honestly with the amount of picks that have already been traded, a Knicks offer would be one of the best out there, but there just isn’t many teams (including the Knicks) that would be able to offer enough value to get Portland to deal Lillard even if he requested a trade.
NYG
RealGM

Post#37 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 9:13 pm

Aside from Philly, I do wonder who could top Quickley, Toppin, ‘21 Mavs 1st, ‘21 Knicks 1st, ‘22 Knicks 1st, ‘23 Mavs Conditional 1st, ‘23 Swap, ‘24 Knicks 1st, ‘25 swap, ‘26 1st, ‘27 swap and ‘28 1st

That’s (including the 2020 draft) 9 1sts and 3 swaps... which teams aside Philly beat that?
JRoy
RealGM

Post#38 » by JRoy » Sun May 2, 2021 9:36 pm

NYG wrote:Aside from Philly, I do wonder who could top Quickley, Toppin, ‘21 Mavs 1st, ‘21 Knicks 1st, ‘22 Knicks 1st, ‘23 Mavs Conditional 1st, ‘23 Swap, ‘24 Knicks 1st, ‘25 swap, ‘26 1st, ‘27 swap and ‘28 1st

That’s (including the 2020 draft) 9 1sts and 3 swaps... which teams aside Philly beat that?

Classic example of a handful of mediocre assets.

What team is trading/trading for picks 7 years out?
Edrees wrote:

SuperflyKnick
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#39 » by SuperflyKnick » Sun May 2, 2021 10:24 pm

NYG wrote:Aside from Philly, I do wonder who could top Quickley, Toppin, ‘21 Mavs 1st, ‘21 Knicks 1st, ‘22 Knicks 1st, ‘23 Mavs Conditional 1st, ‘23 Swap, ‘24 Knicks 1st, ‘25 swap, ‘26 1st, ‘27 swap and ‘28 1st

New York passes ... they are finally building a team from ground up and should do it the right way.... wait for 22 off-season to sign a star without giving up decAde of draft picks along with paying aging lilliard 55 mil a year
NYG
RealGM

Post#40 » by NYG » Sun May 2, 2021 11:16 pm

JRoy wrote:

Classic example of a handful of mediocre assets.

What team is trading/trading for picks 7 years out?

The Knicks wouldn't even do that for Lillard, but I'm just saying tell me a non-Philly offer that is realistic and better that works cap wise?

Return to Trades and Transactions