ImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA, 2020/21 Edition

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Re: Around the NBA, 2019/20 Edition 

Post#1881 » by MoMM » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:13 am

pepe1991 wrote:Am i only one who find guys like Kevin Love execlly reason why nba should not have guaranteed contracts? This dude is sitting home , not giving a flying f*** about basketball and makes $31M a year and when he finally decides to play, like 20 times a year, he is biggest prima-donna since Madonna.

What a prick...

Not having guaranteed contracts and all of 14 teams in the lottery having the same odds would stop all of this tanking that exists in the NBA.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,119

Post#1882 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:32 am

MoMM wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Am i only one who find guys like Kevin Love execlly reason why nba should not have guaranteed contracts? This dude is sitting home , not giving a flying f*** about basketball and makes $31M a year and when he finally decides to play, like 20 times a year, he is biggest prima-donna since Madonna.

What a prick...

Not having guaranteed contracts and all of 14 teams in the lottery having the same odds would stop all of this tanking that exists in the NBA.

Love gets under my skin so much latley, you look him last night and you can see he doesn't give a bleep.
10 of 11 shots he took were threes. Against Raptors, 9 shots, 4 threes, against Bulls 12 shots- 10 threes.
He casually walks up and down, does nothing, passes few assists and just walks to defense.

It's like watching Ryan Anderson, but with both broken legs, in wheelchairs. But he has $31 000 000 guaranteed.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,484

Post#1883 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 am

pepe1991 wrote:
MoMM wrote:

What a prick...

Love gets under my skin so much latley, you look him last night and you can see he doesn't give a bleep.
10 of 11 shots he took were threes. Against Raptors, 9 shots, 4 threes, against Bulls 12 shots- 10 threes.
He casually walks up and down, does nothing, passes few assists and just walks to defense.

It's like watching Ryan Anderson, but with both broken legs, in wheelchairs. But he has $31 000 000 guaranteed.

I would add that when people become comfortable with apologizing publicly-it gets easier to behave badly (again). Watch when he gets his buyout next year and feels a lot better. I feel like GM's have been way soft on buyouts, like it's expected and teams are too afraid to be difficult with the agents and get a bad rep for being player-friendly just because they won't give away guys for nothing. If you want to leave, I respect that but leave half...the JJ thing was really disappointing as he pointed to Covid, family, etc but not to his own unwillingness to sacrifice. (not saying Griff wasn't dishonest, just not a doormat)
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#1884 » by drsd » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 am

MoMM wrote:

What a prick...

There is a 0.00% chance the next CBA will eliminate guaranteed contract. Indeed it is more likely to strengthen them (less years on team options and more on player options).

Rookie contracts are so nice for teams as current players do not negotiate for future employees; indeed they are seen as a threat. This will drive a system that continues to underpay young players and over pay vets. And shortening rookie contracts is neither in the players' nor in the league's interests.

So: status quo is the likely outcome of CBA negotiations.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#1885 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 1:43 am

Haliburton just went down on a non contact injury. Just watching the game.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#1886 » by J the Drafter » Mon May 3, 2021 2:19 am

basketballRob wrote:Haliburton just went down on a non contact injury. Just watching the game.

This season, man...

Maybe the NBA will be less sanguine about skimping out on training camp the next time there’s a longterm interruption in play.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1887 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 2:23 am

J the Drafter wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Haliburton just went down on a non contact injury. Just watching the game.

This season, man...

Maybe the NBA will be less sanguine about skimping out on training camp the next time there’s a longterm interruption in play.
He ended up walking off, but they say he won't be back with a knee injury. It could still be something with his ACL.

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#1888 » by MoMM » Wed May 5, 2021 8:18 pm

Too much greed, no way it should have this amount of games this season.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#1889 » by RookieStar » Wed May 5, 2021 8:45 pm

MoMM wrote:Too much greed, no way it should have this amount of games this season.

TBF to the league, they let the players decide after all.

1.) You only play X amount of games and your salary for the year would be Y
2.) You play A amount of games, your salary would be B.

You gotta honor your contracts after all. Players wanted that dough.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,816

Post#1890 » by drsd » Wed May 5, 2021 9:06 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MoMM wrote:Too much greed, no way it should have this amount of games this season.

Again: no CBA would ever be negotiated as such.

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#1891 » by RookieStar » Wed May 5, 2021 10:40 pm

drsd wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Again: no CBA would ever be negotiated as such.

It's the ESPN/TV deal no? If they hit the 72 game clause the deal will pay the league ( and by extension the teams and players ) that hundreds of millions or whatever and thus trigger their contracts to receive a higher amount.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,491

Post#1892 » by Bergmaniac » Thu May 6, 2021 1:02 pm

Even after all the injuries of key players in Denver AG is barely being used on offense there, he's averaging only 8 shots per game since Murray went down and every time I watch Denver he is the player who touches the ball the least, even PJ Dozier have a larger role in their offense. Just goes to show how much we misused him by trying to make him an offensive star when he clearly doesn't have it in him.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1893 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 6, 2021 1:06 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Even after all the injuries of key players in Denver AG is barely being used on offense there, he's averaging only 8 shots per game since Murray went down and every time I watch Denver he is the player who touches the ball the least, even PJ Dozier have a larger role in their offense. Just goes to show how much we misused him by trying to make him an offensive star when he clearly doesn't have it in him.

I've tried to tell execlly same thing to fans here for 5 years straight. Just because you force fed guy into 14 shots a game and 23% usage rate and he puts up 13-18 points a game that doesn't mean he should be getting that amount of shots.
Everybody can average 15 ppg in nba if you give them green light to shoot enough times. Hell, MCW and Jah Okafor had streaches where they averaged 20 ppg during rock bottom of 76ers.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,408

Post#1894 » by Rainwater » Sat May 8, 2021 2:18 am

Bergmaniac wrote:Even after all the injuries of key players in Denver AG is barely being used on offense there, he's averaging only 8 shots per game since Murray went down and every time I watch Denver he is the player who touches the ball the least, even PJ Dozier have a larger role in their offense. Just goes to show how much we misused him by trying to make him an offensive star when he clearly doesn't have it in him.

I want to say he is still very new in Denver and still trying to get used to his teammates but he was just misused over here. However, I really can't judge the magic they really wanted a star and they thought it was AG. I feel like he is the new Ariza or Darko, guys who had a lot of hype while playing for the magic but were just role players.

And as predicted his three point shooting percentage has fallen and is shooting new his career average.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1895 » by Rainwater » Sat May 8, 2021 2:22 am

Although I have said I wouldn't build a team around Vuc and LaVine, if the bulls get a decent point guard like Lonzo and a few other additions they will be ok next year.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 298

Post#1896 » by J the Drafter » Sat May 8, 2021 2:27 am

Rainwater wrote:

I want to say he is still very new in Denver and still trying to get used to his teammates but he was just misused in here. However, I really can't judge the magic they really wanted a star and they thought it was AG. I feel like he is the new Ariza or Darko, guys who had a lot of hype while playing for the magic but were just role players.

:-? That’s discounting the times AG has scored well. I’d guess a combination of the strange season and a new episode offensive playbook have a lot to do with AG’s low offensive output.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1897 » by basketballRob » Sat May 8, 2021 2:32 am

AG hasn't been the same since that high ankle sprain.

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,269

Post#1898 » by Bensational » Sat May 8, 2021 2:48 am

Yeah, AG has really taken a back seat in Denver. I read somewhere that the team wanted him to be more aggressive but he’s just not. Maybe he’s settled into role player life and focusing on his extra curricular interests instead?

Or maybe he just recognises that he’s finally surrounded by a lot of other, better options now?
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1899 » by Rainwater » Sat May 8, 2021 3:54 am

J the Drafter wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I want to say he is still very new in Denver and still trying to get used to his teammates but he was just misused in here. However, I really can't judge the magic they really wanted a star and they thought it was AG. I feel like he is the new Ariza or Darko, guys who had a lot of hype while playing for the magic but were just role players.

:-? That’s discounting the times AG has scored well. I’d guess a combination of the strange season and a new episode offensive playbook have a lot to do with AG’s low offensive output.

I don't know what you mean by scored well. AG has only scored over 20 points once while in Denver while only avg 10 points per game. He has become much more of an opportunitistic scorer than the playermarker he was when he was in Orlando. Even if he were better accustomed to his teammates I doubt he gets away with half the things he did in here to score; getting 13, 14 shots a game, playing point forward, taking those midrange jumpers and random 3 point shots. Those things won't happen playing beside Joker, Murray, and Porter Jr. especially if they are winning.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1900 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 8, 2021 8:23 am

Gordon just is't advanced offensive player. Never was, never will be. Watching Bojan scoring 48 and Gordon looking like expesnsive version of Michael Kid Gilchrist reminded me how we shipped Harris to waste 4 years of life for "development" of Gordon.
Said it years ago, will say again, Tobias Harris was always better player

Return to Orlando Magic