ImageImageImageImageImage

Paschall's future with the team

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Paschall's future with the team 

Post#1 » by GSWFan1994 » Sun May 2, 2021 11:03 pm

Needless to say, Paschall didn't perform well this season. Missed a ton of games, was somewhat left without a clear role in the mess.

What do you foreshadow for him moving forward?

Was his rookie season his fluke season due to a huge number of minutes in a bad team?

Is his current performance level a clearer predictive of what we can expect from him from now on?

Would he benefit from being our small ball center coming from the bench? Would there be any greater role from him, potentially-wise?

Discuss.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Re: Paschall's future with the team 

Post#2 » by clyde21 » Mon May 3, 2021 12:11 am

should've sold high when we could've...but I don't think he's terrible, i think he's fine as maybe the 4th or 5th big on a team overall, he has his match ups where he does well, but in a expanded role yea, all of his flaws become more and more apparent.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,407

Post#3 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 3, 2021 3:38 am

I put him the category of inefficient player that the league has figured out.
He can't shoot from range (that 3 point hiccup jumper will not be fixed - he doesn't square up and shoots it on the way down).
The mid range shot is not worth his minutes on the floor.
He's getting roofed more and more by the bigger players in the league.
His game relies on powering through and over people. That means he is LIKELY to get more injured than others.
He's not very good defensively. Sure he shuffles his feet etc...but you can tell he just doesn't have the defensive instincts.
All this and he's just undersized for the position he could possibly play.

So...undersized, can't shoot the three, poor defensively....

I don't see him on any Warrior team that's good.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,800

Post#4 » by floppymoose » Mon May 3, 2021 3:53 am

When EP is on the court, he turns the 28th ranked rebounding team in the league (47.8%) into the worst rebounding team of all time (45.5%).

He is the Earl Boykins of Power Forwards.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#5 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 3, 2021 1:21 pm

floppymoose wrote:When EP is on the court, he turns the 28th ranked rebounding team in the league (47.8%) into the worst rebounding team of all time (45.5%).

One thing EP had learned to do is consistently box out the centers he's been matched against and that might actually be a big help if you listen to Kerr. Let's hope someone reminds him how needed that is because while it's not something he does instinctively, it is proof that (gasp) people can learn and change.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#6 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 3, 2021 3:18 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
floppymoose wrote:When EP is on the court, he turns the 28th ranked rebounding team in the league (47.8%) into the worst rebounding team of all time (45.5%).

One thing EP had learned to do is consistently box out the centers he's been matched against and that might actually be a big help if you listen to Kerr. Let's hope someone reminds him how needed that is because while it's not something he does instinctively, it is proof that (gasp) people can learn and change.

If EP was good at boxing out, the team wouldnt be as bad as they are at rebounding the ball. Looney and wiggs don't get alot of individual rebounds, but they box out, tip, etc.. so their teammates get the rebound. Team rebounds better when they are on the court than off.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#7 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 3, 2021 4:02 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

If EP was good at boxing out, the team wouldnt be as bad as they are at rebounding the ball. Looney and wiggs don't get alot of individual rebounds, but they box out, tip, etc.. so their teammates get the rebound. Team rebounds better when they are on the court than off.

EP was boxing out well prior to him getting hurt and I'm not the only one who noticed. If you watch the games, you'll notice things before they show up in the stats.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#8 » by TB » Mon May 3, 2021 5:15 pm

EP does box out alot, more-so than most of our team. However, when he boxes out we don't get the boards. The ratio of getting a defensive board when he is the one boxing out the area is lowest on our team.

My guess is that boxing out is actually a tad overrated for the elite rebounders. Sure, you can't let your guy get better position, but alot of it is just being in good position and then going and getting the ball. Boxing out is much more important for guards/wings, to make sure your guy doesn't swoop in and steal one.

So with Paschall, he's boxing out, but he's also playing the position that is expected to GET the ball. And he doesn't have the size and skill to do that.

As for a guy like Wiseman, he just doesn't have the 1) awareness to be in the right spots and 2) strength to get to or hold those spots (yes that means box outs on many occasions, but alot is also doing the work early and getting to those spots as the shots are going up). He's got the size and athleticism to then go get the ball, we've seen him do that just fine in high school and college. I'm not worried about him being a great rebounder as he gets older.

I've said it many times, but Paschall is very unlikely to just learn how to be a good rebounder when he's literally never been a good rebounder. It's not in his skillset, especially when he's playing small ball center alot.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#9 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 3, 2021 5:27 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

EP was boxing out well prior to him getting hurt and I'm not the only one who noticed. If you watch the games, you'll notice things before they show up in the stats.

Don't mean to be harsh....but rebounders GET the ball. If you are a PF or small center and you can't GET the rebound because of your size....WTF are you doing on the floor?

Bottom line for me...Warriors have to quite trying to push players with severe limitations into positions where they don't have an advantage. Why have to ensure the entire team is doing everything extra just so EP isn't exploited on the defensive side?
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 363

Post#10 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon May 3, 2021 5:42 pm

i laugh at the faces of those who said paschall was a keeper. wanted to trade him way back when his value was high from last season. he's a bonafide tweener, can play bully basketball and take the midrange js, but can't play defense, has no range, doesn't have the instincts to create for others.. nothing else. he is who is he is coming into the league.

and to think people were saying he could mold into draymond.. give me a freakin' break.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#11 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 3, 2021 6:39 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:and to think people were saying he could mold into draymond.. give me a freakin' break.

literally no one said that
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#12 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon May 3, 2021 7:03 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

EP averages 1.3 box outs a game.
The only big that averages less boxouts per game is Smiley. Looney leads the team with 2.8 and wiggs leads the perimeter players with 0.6.

So when EP is the only big for the dubbs on the court, he doesnt box out nor get the rebound.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,374

Post#13 » by GSWFan1994 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:04 pm

Who could realistically be trade targets in an eventual trade for Paschall?
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#14 » by WarriorGM » Mon May 3, 2021 7:29 pm

Paschall for some reason reminds me of Marreese Speights. Not for their skill set but their potential level of usefulness. Paschall does have more upside. I think it would be incorrect to say Paschall cannot be an asset but it seems he needs to be employed judiciously.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#15 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 3, 2021 8:55 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

EP averages 1.3 box outs a game.
The only big that averages less boxouts per game is Smiley. Looney leads the team with 2.8 and wiggs leads the perimeter players with 0.6.

So when EP is the only big for the dubbs on the court, he doesnt box out nor get the rebound.

3/15/21 vs. LAL 1 rebound, 3 box outs, 18:36 min
3/14/21 vs. Utah 3 rebounds, 3 box outs, 11:38 min

Then he was either not used or injured except for 8:38 min on 3/26/21 and 4/2/21 when he played 22:37 and grabbed 6 boards. He's been hurt ever since.

He also had a good rebounding streak earlier in a span of 8 games from 2/8/21-2/20/21 when he averaged 5 rpg in 18.5 mpg.

Which is to say while it's not realistic to expect him to save us on the glass, he has shown himself able to help in that regard.
The hottest of takes...
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#16 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon May 3, 2021 8:59 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:

Don't mean to be harsh....but rebounders GET the ball. If you are a PF or small center and you can't GET the rebound because of your size....WTF are you doing on the floor?

Bottom line for me...Warriors have to quite trying to push players with severe limitations into positions where they don't have an advantage. Why have to ensure the entire team is doing everything extra just so EP isn't exploited on the defensive side?

Going forward, sure I agree. But at this point, in the situation we're in with injuries, EP coming back will without a doubt help in the front court and with rebounding.
The hottest of takes...
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#17 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 3, 2021 9:18 pm

This all reminds me of the very very VERY Bad Warriors days....
Antawn Jamison is too small to be a PF but horrible defensively and can't defend SFs...
Jason Richardson had horrible handles for his position...
Jason Caffey was undersized and constantly roofed by real power forwards.
Larry Hughes was a super athlete with horrible fundamentals.

Please....can we STOP with putting guys in positions because they don't fit anywhere else????
EP is too small for PF or Center...can't defend...can't shoot beyond the mid range and too small to finish around the rim. BYE BYE!

If you start the game knowing the player is not going to give the Warriors the advantage at his position...BYE BYE!
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#18 » by TB » Mon May 3, 2021 10:20 pm

Paschall was so good as a rookie, and even during stretches this year that we forget that he's a 2nd rounder. I still think he can end up being a good bench piece in the rotation (6-9th man). Right now I think he's a good end of bench guy (10th-15th man). And thats a solid spot for a 2nd year 2nd rounder.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#19 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon May 3, 2021 10:47 pm

WarriorGM wrote:Paschall for some reason reminds me of Marreese Speights. Not for their skill set but their potential level of usefulness. Paschall does have more upside. I think it would be incorrect to say Paschall cannot be an asset but it seems he needs to be employed judiciously.

Good comp. Total rhythm players that can change the outcome of a game but complete liabilities if they're not on.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,800

Post#20 » by floppymoose » Mon May 3, 2021 11:57 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Who could realistically be trade targets in an eventual trade for Paschall?

To me he's a trade piece, like Poole. He's not the entire trade. He adds some amount of value to a trade package, likely has a lot less than Poole does now.

Return to Golden State Warriors