2020-21 NBA Season Discussion

Moderators: PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier, penbeast0, trex_8063

MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Re: 2020-21 NBA Season Discussion 

Post#1721 » by MO12msu » Sun May 2, 2021 8:53 pm

falcolombardi wrote:is just a quarter but i am thinking that brook lopez is gonna sinl any chance bucks have against nets in the playoffs if bud plays him

even more so if harden plays, imo bucks should ride giannis/tucker at 5 against nets if they face

I agree, it’s pretty noticeable how Lopez struggled out there in the first half on D.

When the bucks go with Giannis at the five I really like how they matchup defensively against the Nets. Will be a question of if they can score enough if this becomes a playoff series.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#1722 » by Goudelock » Mon May 3, 2021 2:38 am

So I decided to watch the Knicks vs Rockets game to watch some KPJ, and it looks like he's just winging it out there and doesn't really know what he's doing on a possession-by-possession basis. They pretty much just give him the ball at the top of the key and let him go into his dribble exhibition or run a simple high PnR. Not sure how good he would be in a more structured attack with actual sets and stuff.

He's undeniably talented though and is a borderline-freak athlete. His first step is crazy quick and he's strong enough to get through contact.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,237

Post#1723 » by Outside » Mon May 3, 2021 6:31 am

Goudelock wrote:So I decided to watch the Knicks vs Rockets game to watch some KPJ, and it looks like he's just winging it out there and doesn't really know what he's doing on a possession-by-possession basis. They pretty much just give him the ball at the top of the key and let him go into his dribble exhibition or run a simple high PnR. Not sure how good he would be in a more structured attack with actual sets and stuff.

He's undeniably talented though and is a borderline-freak athlete. His first step is crazy quick and he's strong enough to get through contact.

One thing to consider is that since John Wall went out for the year, they're asking him to play point guard when he's not a point guard. Avery Bradley came back after missing four of the previous five games, but he only played 20 minutes. What you're describing is a guy who is being asked to be the primary creator and distributor and isn't comfortable or appropriate for that role.

Houston already wasn't a good team, but their injury situation is ridiculous.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2021.html#all_injuries
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,505

Post#1724 » by 70sFan » Mon May 3, 2021 7:37 am

I finally found time to watch Brooklyn and Milwaukee yesterday, I have to say that Jordan is terrible at this point. I haven't seen someone defending Giannis this bad in a while.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,739

Post#1725 » by eminence » Mon May 3, 2021 12:38 pm

Who's a fan/not a fan of the play-in?
I bought a boat.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,459

Post#1726 » by Doctor MJ » Mon May 3, 2021 1:26 pm

eminence wrote:Who's a fan/not a fan of the play-in?

Fan. Like how they’ve designed it too with double elimination for 7/8 and single for 9/10.

I’d prefer if the 1st round went back to Best of 5 - I get the “even longer?” - but adding some March Madness into the NBA Playoffs just makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#1727 » by MisterHibachi » Mon May 3, 2021 1:49 pm

Fan. Without the play-in, maybe the Warriors shut Steph down earlier and New Orleans packs it in even earlier, and we miss out on these late season performances by Steph and Zion. It's unfair to the 7th and 8th seeds yes, but overall good for the product to reduce the number of teams outright tanking late in the season.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#1728 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 3, 2021 2:55 pm

Not a fan. It's yet another Adam Silver gimmick that doesn't solve any actual problems with the current NBA.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#1729 » by MisterHibachi » Mon May 3, 2021 3:23 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:

Not a fan. It's yet another Adam Silver gimmick that doesn't solve any actual problems with the current NBA.

One of the major problems was tanking and the last few weeks of the season being boring as hell. No one is talking about tanking anymore, it's all arguments about the play-in. It did its job as intended, I would say.
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,783

Post#1730 » by Fadeaway_J » Mon May 3, 2021 3:24 pm

Not a fan in principle, although I see some of the benefits from an entertainment standpoint. I just think your results over 72 games should be sufficient to determine whether you make the playoffs or not. My feelings apply to other sports where I've seen a similar system used.
MisterHibachi
RealGM

Post#1731 » by MisterHibachi » Mon May 3, 2021 3:29 pm

Read on Twitter
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1732 » by bondom34 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:47 pm

Fan, it just keeps a few more interesting teams involved and gives extra meaningful games. There are already a few teams and matchups that interest me that are potentially happening, and it adds some drama (not off court, just like on court drama/meaning).

Edit: And its not really tanking related. That's just the only way smaller market teams can realistically build a contender, but it just adds some fun to the games for teams who are in on it. I don't really see tanking as an issue either, or this.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,179

Post#1733 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 3, 2021 5:24 pm

MisterHibachi wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

One of the major problems was tanking and the last few weeks of the season being boring as hell. No one is talking about tanking anymore, it's all arguments about the play-in. It did its job as intended, I would say.

Tanking in and of itself isn't a problem. The fact that it's the only option for most teams to get a franchise player (outside of pure luck) is the problem. So is the insane concentration of talent in a tiny handful of franchises, which ends up increasing the number of talent-starved teams in the league that suck regardless of whether or not they're trying to tank. That's not even getting into the problems that aren't related to competitive balance, like the awful state of officiating in today's league, or how ugly the current "chuck threes and flop" meta is.

Point is, the play-in games don't address any of these problems. They're a distraction that Silver can use to pretend he's improving the product without actually doing it.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#1734 » by falcolombardi » Mon May 3, 2021 5:42 pm

i honestly would consider going even further with the anti tanking component of the play in

make play in teams (7 and 8 too) part of the lottery, every team in the lottery except the first 6 seeds im each comference

and take the lottery balls from the bottom 5 teams

hell i honestly think flattened lottery odds for all loterry teams is fine but that is less popular
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#1735 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon May 3, 2021 11:49 pm

I disagree, if the Play-In had been a staple in the NBA since like the 70s or 80s or whatever, people would look forward to it every year.
MO12msu
Bench Warmer
And1: 655

Post#1736 » by MO12msu » Tue May 4, 2021 12:15 am

The NBA was already letting over 50% of its participants into the playoffs, much more than the MLB or NFL. I don't think it's a big deal or "unfair" to the 7 and 8 seeds that they have to not lose 2 games in a row in order to hold their spots.

It's hard to buy any argument that this change hasn't done exactly what the NBA wanted. This Pelicans-Warroirs game on ESPN actually has some playoff implications now and the Wizards are being rewarded with a playoff chance for making a late season run instead of mailing it in. You have 4-12 East and 5-11 in the West all having to worry about the play in some way.

I like Zach Lowe's idea that the #1 seed should get to pick their matchup out of the 2 teams that make it out of the play-in. Would reward the 1 seed so they don't end up stuck with a randomly bad matchup and gives a little more incentive for actually trying during the regular season.
falcolombardi
General Manager
And1: 5,986

Post#1737 » by falcolombardi » Tue May 4, 2021 12:23 am

MO12msu wrote:The NBA was already letting over 50% of its participants into the playoffs, much more than the MLB or NFL. I don't think it's a big deal or "unfair" to the 7 and 8 seeds that they have to not lose 2 games in a row in order to hold their spots.

It's hard to buy any argument that this change hasn't done exactly what the NBA wanted. This Pelicans-Warroirs game on ESPN actually has some playoff implications now and the Wizards are being rewarded with a playoff chance for making a late season run instead of mailing it in. You have 4-12 East and 5-11 in the West all having to worry about the play in some way.

I like Zach Lowe's idea that the #1 seed should get to pick their matchup out of the 2 teams that make it out of the play-in. Would reward the 1 seed so they don't end up stuck with a randomly bad matchup and gives a little more incentive for actually trying during the regular season.

the 1st seed is usually mainly rewarded by avoiding top 2-3 seeds until the conference finals, like the east 1st seed race this year

getting the 7th seed instead of 8th in first rounds shouldnt be a huge deal most years, specially because they can also get a even easier 9th or 10th seed instead too

somethingh i would add is including 7th and 8th seeds in the lottery, dissuades tanking even more as 4-6 seeds are not gonna tank into the play in for slim lottery odds and 7-11 seed teams will have a bit less of a incentive to tank
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1738 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue May 4, 2021 1:37 am

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

The broadcast, "Marvel’s Arena of Heroes," will be driven by a Marvel storyline in which the Avengers look to recruit Warriors and Pelicans players to fight alongside them against an invading alien army. Using 3D virtual characters, custom graphics and animation packages, the telecast will include characters such as Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Black Widow and Doctor Strange.

"Recognizing the superior physical abilities, agility, and tenacity of Earth’s greatest athletes, the Avengers will hold a series of contests where the winners earn the right to train and fight alongside them as Marvel’s Champions," ESPN said in a news release. "The Avengers will begin their recruitment with the NBA elite and observe the battle between the Warriors and the Pelicans, focusing on three star players from each team."

The players the Avengers will "scout" Curry, Williamson, Draymond Green, Andrew Wiggins, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. Players will gain "Marvel Hero" points for every point, rebound, assist, steal and block, losing points for missed field goals, free throws and turnovers. The player with the most "Marvel Hero" points on the winning team will be crowned Marvel Champion.

IDK if this even belongs in this thread but it's sort of about this season and what the heck.

It's even dumber in practice than it was in theory. :banghead:
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#1739 » by bondom34 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:45 am

Fadeaway_J wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

The broadcast, "Marvel’s Arena of Heroes," will be driven by a Marvel storyline in which the Avengers look to recruit Warriors and Pelicans players to fight alongside them against an invading alien army. Using 3D virtual characters, custom graphics and animation packages, the telecast will include characters such as Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Captain America, Black Widow and Doctor Strange.

"Recognizing the superior physical abilities, agility, and tenacity of Earth’s greatest athletes, the Avengers will hold a series of contests where the winners earn the right to train and fight alongside them as Marvel’s Champions," ESPN said in a news release. "The Avengers will begin their recruitment with the NBA elite and observe the battle between the Warriors and the Pelicans, focusing on three star players from each team."

The players the Avengers will "scout" Curry, Williamson, Draymond Green, Andrew Wiggins, Brandon Ingram and Lonzo Ball. Players will gain "Marvel Hero" points for every point, rebound, assist, steal and block, losing points for missed field goals, free throws and turnovers. The player with the most "Marvel Hero" points on the winning team will be crowned Marvel Champion.

IDK if this even belongs in this thread but it's sort of about this season and what the heck.

Oh no I haven't been watching lol. Just seeing stuff on twitter, it sounds strange.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1740 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue May 4, 2021 1:51 am

bondom34 wrote:
Fadeaway_J wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Oh no I haven't been watching lol. Just seeing stuff on twitter, it sounds strange.

Whoever came up with this should be tried at The Hague

Return to Player Comparisons