ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Randle is different

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Re: PG: Randle is different 

Post#201 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon May 3, 2021 3:32 pm

less elf is so the way. i think the rose/quickley bench is reeeeally effective and i don't think thibs is in a rush to break that up. wondering if a rose/burks or quickley/burks could be just as effective if elf is phased out.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,373

Post#202 » by god shammgod » Mon May 3, 2021 3:32 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I could see us being down in a playoff series and then Thibs making a change to the starting lineup. By that time it may be too late.

if we play miami they have a trap approach vs us because they don't trust Payton's ability to shoot...so they just trap every screen to get it out of our hands and then scramble on defense and usually don't get beat because they don't have to worry about recovering to payton.

that is when we will need to make a quick adjustment.

well played
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#203 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 3:36 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:I could see us being down in a playoff series and then Thibs making a change to the starting lineup. By that time it may be too late.

if we play miami they have a trap approach vs us because they don't trust Payton's ability to shoot...so they just trap every screen to get it out of our hands and then scramble on defense and usually don't get beat because they don't have to worry about recovering to payton.

Miami for sure...Every team will probably play us that way in a playoff series with Payton on the floor. Its more difficult to hide liabilities in a playoff series. Teams are gonna be game planning for it
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#204 » by Capn'O » Mon May 3, 2021 3:36 pm

god shammgod wrote:
It has become a routine phrase lately from announcer Mike Breen on Knicks broadcasts, indicative of a rookie with not only the chutzpah to launch from several feet behind the 3-point line, but also the ability to convert.

Quickley, 21, connected on at least one extra distanced shot in each of the last four games heading into Sunday against the Rockets, with the blessing of coach Tom Thibodeau.

“We have a lot of confidence in his shooting,” the coach said. “That’s his gift.”

Indeed, Quickley led all rookies in 3-pointers made per 36 minutes heading into Sunday,
and he seems to have incorporated this outer space attempt into his profile a la Steph Curry and Dame Lillard.

Quickley also practices the shot. The Knicks training facility in Tarrytown is equipped with a four-point line, and Quickley “shoots just as effectively from that area,” according to Thibodeau.

The setup has added incentive.

“That’s definitely one thing I work on, even when I was at Kentucky in college, but I focus on it now just because we have that four-point line,” Quickley said. “I think it opens up driving lanes because people have to close out to me really far and that just creates opportunities for myself and creates opportunities for teammates.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/ny-knicks-immanuel-quickley-20210502-xfeykuamoreh7fuqwiuj2zxuqm-story.html

Delicious

Cue Jeff Hornacek "and they just keep getting farther and farther out"
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,204

Post#205 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:38 pm

god shammgod wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

if we play miami they have a trade approach vs us because they don't trust Payton's ability to shoot...so they just trap every screen to get it out of our hands and then scramble on defense and usually don't get beat because they don't have to worry about recovering to payton.

well played

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
snadler
Head Coach
And1: 7,943

Post#206 » by snadler » Mon May 3, 2021 3:39 pm

Obviously I'm on the dump Elf train, but I pointed this out a few weeks ago on Thibs thinking, and it's infuriating watching any minutes with Payton, but I'll try to justify it, even though I disagree, Thibs knows you can't play Rose more than 30 minutes, so he has to find 18 minutes elsewhere, plus he loves bringing Rose in for a few minutes with the starters and then dominates the opponents backups, especially when he brings in IQ, so he rather lose the minutes with Elf on the floor to start the game and start the 3rd and yet destroy the opponent with Rose when he's on the floor, and as infuriating as it is, keeping the consistency with this rotation, as much as we hate it, is working as they have now on 11 of 12..
Oscirus
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#207 » by Oscirus » Mon May 3, 2021 3:40 pm

8-) Elf's career appears to be on the clock, I predict an elf resurgence at which time thibs will be all
Jimmit79 wrote:At this point I want RJ to get paid
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#208 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:41 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:less elf is so the way. i think the rose/quickley bench is reeeeally effective and i don't think thibs is in a rush to break that up. wondering if a rose/burks or quickley/burks could be just as effective if elf is phased out.

at this point the only logical explanation of elf staying in the starting lineup is thibs just loves our bench to the point he hopes Randle and RJ can carry the starters enough at least to tie. Then our bench is so good that is where we expand the lead.

Its a crazy strategy but its been working. I think with Burks back he should have a bit more confidence that we have that punch off the bench with IQ and Burks and Rose can get the starts...because Rose with RJ and Randle has been dominant this year. The numbers back it up too.

Randle/RJ/Payton is -0.1 NET rating (essentially neutral)

Randle/RJ/Rose is a +9.0 NET rating (basically elite level)

ROSTER

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,942

Post#209 » by TheGreenArrow » Mon May 3, 2021 3:46 pm

He isn’t a shooter.....

Read on Twitter

This kids rapid development is insane!!!!

I’m just going to say it....

He’s going to be an all-time great when it’s all said and done if his rapid development continues!!!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#210 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon May 3, 2021 3:51 pm

Burks coming back could be its own thread. :lol: It should be the Elf appreciation thread!!
:beer: RIP mags
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#211 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:52 pm

This road trip is probably our last chance to move Payton out of the rotation for the rest of this season. Like if it looks like we’re about to lose the rest of this road trip or something. There has to be something going on behind the scenes that keeps Payton from being bench cuz Thibs clearly sees that he’s hurting the team by his reduction of minutes. Maybe Payton is a malcontent and they worry about him messing up the lock room chemistry? Not even Thibs is stubborn enough to keep playing someone that’s hurting winning to be proven right about something if there wasn’t some sort of extenuating circumstances.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#212 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:56 pm

Read on Twitter

thats a break for us

ROSTER

Oscirus
RealGM

Post#213 » by Oscirus » Mon May 3, 2021 3:57 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:This road trip is probably our last chance to move Payton out of the rotation for the rest of this season. Like if it looks like we’re about to lose the rest of this road trip or something. There has to be something going on behind the scenes that keeps Payton from being bench cuz Thibs clearly sees that he’s hurting the team by his reduction of minutes. Maybe Payton is a malcontent and they worry about him messing up the lock room chemistry? Not even Thibs is stubborn enough to keep playing someone that’s hurting winning to be proven right about something if there wasn’t some sort of extenuating circumstances.

Cant really say he's hurting winning or chemistry when we've been 12 and 1. Only way he drops out is if we actually start losing games
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#214 » by mpharris36 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:59 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:This road trip is probably our last chance to move Payton out of the rotation for the rest of this season. Like if it looks like we’re about to lose the rest of this road trip or something. There has to be something going on behind the scenes that keeps Payton from being bench cuz Thibs clearly sees that he’s hurting the team by his reduction of minutes. Maybe Payton is a malcontent and they worry about him messing up the lock room chemistry? Not even Thibs is stubborn enough to keep playing someone that’s hurting winning to be proven right about something if there wasn’t some sort of extenuating circumstances.

Yeah I just think its been timing. Rose went out with COVID so they wanted to ease him back (because when Payton went down Rose and the starters were playing great).

Then Burks went out and kinda forced Thibs again to stick with Payton.

We also are 11-1 in our last 12 and while payton hasn't done anything to help us in that stretch. I think Thibs just likes consistency of rotations.

The think like you said that will be interesting...if we do falter at all during this west coast trip and Burks is back playing minutes...it will be hard to continue to start Payton especially if we start losing games to good teams and he continues to prove he is our weak link.

ROSTER

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,776

Post#215 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:59 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:He isn’t a shooter.....

Read on Twitter

He’s going to be an all-time great when it’s all said and done if his rapid development continues!!!!!!!

Probably my favorite shot he’s hit in the past month. That’s the next step in his development. I think like 98 or 99% of his threes are on catch and shoot. If he’s starts hitting threes off the dribble, it really raises the ceiling on his potential. Especially if he’s going to be able to keep up these percentages. Off the dribble three point shooter at 40% are stuff that superstars do.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#216 » by Oscirus » Mon May 3, 2021 4:00 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Read on Twitter

thats a break for us

Maybe if that game wasnt a must win for them, Id feel a bit more relieved :-?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#217 » by Capn'O » Mon May 3, 2021 4:03 pm

Thibs is so insane for playing RJ 40 yesterday.

The Elf question will be resolved by next year, infuriating as it is.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
snadler
Head Coach
And1: 7,943

Post#218 » by snadler » Mon May 3, 2021 4:06 pm

2-4 road trip, won't bury the knicks, they should still at least be 5-6 seed..lose the next 5, they will probably be 7
Oscirus
RealGM

Post#219 » by Oscirus » Mon May 3, 2021 4:09 pm

snadler wrote:2-4 road trip, won't bury the knicks, they should still at least be 5-6 seed..lose the next 5, they will probably be 7

1 game at a time, lets call tomorrow another must win.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#220 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon May 3, 2021 4:10 pm

TheGreenArrow wrote:He isn’t a shooter.....

Read on Twitter

always believed in the mamba mentality!
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.

Return to New York Knicks