PORTLAND/MILWAUKEE TRADE ROBINS

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

PORTLAND/MILWAUKEE TRADE ROBINS 

Post#1 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 3:58 pm

This would happen if both teams flame out. Bucks are again exposed as not having enough outside shooting around Giannis.

Bucks get:

CJ McCollum
DJJ
2023 1st round pick (protected)

Blazers get:

Khris Middleton
Pat Connaughton

Both teams solve their issues. Bucks get a fantastic 2nd option who can go for 40 on any given night and provide excellent ball handling and distribution whenever needed. His lack of defense won't be a killer playing w/ Jrue, Giannis and Lopez. They also get an extra 1st rounder (in a year they have none) since CJ is kinda gimpy. DJJ provides someone who can be athletic and play D at that SF spot.

Blazers get a much better option at the 3 than they had before. CJ and Dame are too small a combo to do anything. This way they can mix it up before Dame starts to get annoyed. Middleton provides high-quality defense and the ability to put up 20ish points a game. He's also much more dependable than CJ as far as injuries are concerned. That gap is what leads to them giving up a 1st rd pick. They trade nets them Pat C as well, who should do fine starting next to Dame. He can finish and do his job.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,498

Re: PORTLAND/MILWAUKEE TRADE ROBINS 

Post#2 » by HornetJail » Mon May 3, 2021 4:14 pm

I was so confused why Robin Lopez wasn't included in this and then remembered he wasn't even with the Bucks anymore.... it really is Monday.

I'd rather have Middleton than CJ for the Bucks and I think it's more than a 1st rounder apart.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 1,997

Post#3 » by Village Idiot » Mon May 3, 2021 4:27 pm

Portland would probably do this
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Mon May 3, 2021 4:31 pm

It's not terrible, but Milwaukee just has no compelling reason to do it. Midds is such a good fit for the Bucks - not just for his offense, but he's got that switchable size that allows him to switch onto any type of player other than a center. Replacing him with a 6'5 forward who can't shoot isn't gonna work. And then there's McCollum's D. The 2023 pick helps, but the protection doesn't, and the Bucks are playing for now. It's a No from Milw.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#5 » by mademan » Mon May 3, 2021 4:47 pm

Middleton is just better than McCollum, imo. And i dont think CJ is a considerably better fit, even if he offers better shot creation skills.

You'd have to even it out to a point where im not sure it makes sense for Portland anymore. Like CJ/Covington for Midds/Pat
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#6 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 4:48 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:I was so confused why Robin Lopez wasn't included in this and then remembered he wasn't even with the Bucks anymore.... it really is Monday.

I'd rather have Middleton than CJ for the Bucks and I think it's more than a 1st rounder apart.

This would be based off a collapse in the playoffs by the Bucks where their inability to hit from range and provide the needed perimeter scoring kills them (again).

CJ provides that in spades. He is a weakish defender, but like I said MIL is filled w/ 1st team all defense guys. They can afford to add someone like CJ. He'd automatically become their best perimeter player they've had in the last 10 years. You add that to the inside force of Giannis and they can challenge the Nets imo.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#7 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 4:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:It's not terrible, but Milwaukee just has no compelling reason to do it. Midds is such a good fit for the Bucks - not just for his offense, but he's got that switchable size that allows him to switch onto any type of player other than a center. Replacing him with a 6'5 forward who can't shoot isn't gonna work. And then there's McCollum's D. The 2023 pick helps, but the protection doesn't, and the Bucks are playing for now. It's a No from Milw.

There's a gap between the 2 players and that's why there's an xt pick. The protection can be adjusted. I was gonna say lottery but maybe that can be taken down to top 10. CJ isn't some bum BTW, he would fit the weakness of MIL like a glove. Defense is a little off but it's not like you guys don't have a team full of guys who've made the 1/2 all defense team.. You'll be fine there still.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Mon May 3, 2021 5:00 pm

I think CJ + Roco for Middleton makes more sense for bucks
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,379

Post#9 » by Myth » Mon May 3, 2021 5:02 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:I think CJ + Roco for Middleton makes more sense for bucks

That is tougher for Portland to swallow, which I think is a sign that it is much closer.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#10 » by LuessiT » Mon May 3, 2021 5:06 pm

I'm not super opposed to something like that but the premise would have to be both teams doing poorly in post season, the Bucks needing another ball handler and some general value tinkering.
The Bucks would also need a solution at either forward spot, wether that is in this trade ( RoCo), finding some ring chaser via FA or another trade.
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#11 » by Slim Charless » Mon May 3, 2021 5:13 pm

Myth wrote:

That is tougher for Portland to swallow, which I think is a sign that it is much closer.

What if you keep RoCo and remove all the protection from the 2023 pick-or give up a pick this year. Better or worse...? Bucks gave up picks into the next decade so that's my reasoning for getting them one in this trade.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,082

Post#12 » by mademan » Mon May 3, 2021 5:37 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Myth wrote:

What if you keep RoCo and remove all the protection from the 2023 pick-or give up a pick this year. Better or worse...? Bucks gave up picks into the next decade so that's my reasoning for getting them one in this trade.

Unless that pick is being re-routed in a 3 team deal to get the Bucks a starting worthy SF, i dont see it. McCollum solves some problems for the Bucks but at the cost of creating a huge hole at the 3.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#13 » by JasonStern » Mon May 3, 2021 6:03 pm

I view Jones at $9M/season as negative value, so OP's trade should be DOA from Milwaukee's standpoint.

Something built around CJ+Covington makes more sense for Milwaukee, but the Blazers just traded two 1sts for Covington. Middleton isn't three 1st round picks better than CJ, so that future 1st would definitely need to be taken out.

Then there's the filler. CJ+Covington = $41M, Middleton = $33M. The Bucks don't have great options for filler contracts to make the accountants happy.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,379

Post#14 » by Myth » Mon May 3, 2021 8:05 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Myth wrote:

Tempting for Portland. I'd love to have a starting lineup of Lillard/Powell/Middleton/Roco/Nurkic. I'd push for a top 3 protection in case **** hits the fan, but it would not be a deal breaker if it gives Portland that starting lineup. Much improved on defense without losing the offense. Convincing Bucks would be a different story.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,251

Post#15 » by JRoy » Mon May 3, 2021 9:05 pm

CJ and RC for KM looks pretty fair to me talent wise
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#16 » by JayMKE » Tue May 4, 2021 11:08 am

Khris is just a better all around player than McCollum and there zero reason to downgrade to a smaller, less efficient, poorer defender. Someone like Lillard would move the needle for the Bucks but CJ would be shuffling deckchairs at best in exchange for Khris. Don’t think Portland can or will offer any secondary assets that make it worth it, premise DOA.
FREE GIANNIS
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Tue May 4, 2021 11:15 am

That does make more sense.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,490

Post#18 » by JayMKE » Tue May 4, 2021 11:23 am

JasonStern wrote:I view Jones at $9M/season as negative value, so OP's trade should be DOA from Milwaukee's standpoint.

Something built around CJ+Covington makes more sense for Milwaukee, but the Blazers just traded two 1sts for Covington. Middleton isn't three 1st round picks better than CJ, so that future 1st would definitely need to be taken out.

Think you got it backwards, Khris is more than twice the player Covington is so you’d owe some more picks and few swaps if any of the deals last year were a clue, we don’t care about your sunk cost that’s not our problem. Portland is the one upgrading here and would be the ones paying a premium for it, the Bucks are already contenders.

Furthermore, the Bucks have been stymied more in the playoffs by being torched from distance while failing to switch or losing their man cheating off than anything else and that has been our issue all year. A combination of Lopez/CJ would be deadly exploitable for any coach with half a brain.
FREE GIANNIS
slos
Starter
And1: 1,191

Post#19 » by slos » Tue May 4, 2021 3:59 pm

Bucks won’t trade Middleton to downgrade to McCollum even if RoCo is added to balance the trade.

Bucks would (should) be interested in CJ without touching their Big 3 but there is nothing appealing for Portland then.

Lillard for Jrue and Middleton is the only interesting thing between those teams in case Dame asks out. He is the best fit for Giannis and Portland would still compete with Jrue/CJ/Midds/RoCo/Nurkic and Powell as 6th.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#20 » by JasonStern » Tue May 4, 2021 5:46 pm

JayMKE wrote:
JasonStern wrote:I view Jones at $9M/season as negative value, so OP's trade should be DOA from Milwaukee's standpoint.

Think you got it backwards, Khris is more than twice the player Covington is so you’d owe some more picks and few swaps if any of the deals last year were a clue, we don’t care about your sunk cost that’s not our problem. Portland is the one upgrading here and would be the ones paying a premium for it, the Bucks are already contenders.

No. I get it. Middleton is worth more than CJ. CJ+Covington is an overpay. The Bucks really have no reason to move Middleton, so any trade would likely need to be an overpay. But the Blazers shouldn't be trading two starters, as Covington is one of the only Blazers that at least pretends to play defense. Maybe an overpay would make sense if Little got more minutes, but we all know Stotts would just play Melo more.

And Covington isn't a sunk cost. He has played better than what the Blazers likely would have gotten out of two late 1sts. Jones, cashing in $9M to rack up DNP-CDs, is a sunk cost.

slos wrote:Lillard for Jrue and Middleton is the only interesting thing between those teams in case Dame asks out. He is the best fit for Giannis and Portland would still compete with Jrue/CJ/Midds/RoCo/Nurkic and Powell as 6th.

Don't derail the thread with lowball offers for Lillard, and Blazers fans won't derail the thread with lowball offers for Giannis.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Trades and Transactions