ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#701 » by JediMasterRevan » Mon May 3, 2021 9:57 am

Certainly make tge fournier trade look worse.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#702 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 3, 2021 10:07 am

JediMasterRevan wrote:Certainly make tge fournier trade look worse.

Not greatly.

When everybody is healthy, we do have an excess of talent.

The other 90% of the time, our roster doesn't seem overstuffed at all.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#703 » by ParticleMan » Mon May 3, 2021 10:09 am

playa-hater wrote:I am still so sick of Stevens NOT giving Nesmith a LEGIT chance all year long. All year long no one understood the value of playing time = (experience + in game reps) = confidence = better PRODUCTION.

This disaster of a coach gave minutes to players like Edwards-Semi-J Green -blah blah blah, when it was so obvious that they weren't anything more than end of bench/G-league level talents.

And no one can say Nesmith developed due to the many practices and game minutes. He only played due to a ton of losing with non productive scrubs and injuries. Damn if it were not for injuries and missed time Nesmith would not even had this chance.

The more quality games I see Nesmith play, the more I despise Brad Stevens.

he SUCKED earlier in the year when he got minutes. people were openly wondering whether he was a bust. that wasn't brad's fault. he was a 3 and D guy who couldn't hit the 3 and couldn't defend.

it wasn't brad stevens who suddenly wised up. it was nesmith who actually got better. shockingly, that happens with young players. giving guys undeserved minutes is not only a terrible way to develop players, it is terrible for team morale. now that nesmith is playing well, he's getting minutes. funny how that works.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#704 » by cloverleaf » Mon May 3, 2021 10:40 am

ParticleMan wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I am still so sick of Stevens NOT giving Nesmith a LEGIT chance all year long. All year long no one understood the value of playing time = (experience + in game reps) = confidence = better PRODUCTION.

This disaster of a coach gave minutes to players like Edwards-Semi-J Green -blah blah blah, when it was so obvious that they weren't anything more than end of bench/G-league level talents.

And no one can say Nesmith developed due to the many practices and game minutes. He only played due to a ton of losing with non productive scrubs and injuries. Damn if it were not for injuries and missed time Nesmith would not even had this chance.

he SUCKED earlier in the year when he got minutes. people were openly wondering whether he was a bust. that wasn't brad's fault. he was a 3 and D guy who couldn't hit the 3 and couldn't defend.

it wasn't brad stevens who suddenly wised up. it was nesmith who actually got better. shockingly, that happens with young players. giving guys undeserved minutes is not only a terrible way to develop players, it is terrible for team morale. now that nesmith is playing well, he's getting minutes. funny how that works.

Sure, he had a couple of atrocious games early on, but then he was coming along well with high energy games while the rest of the team was lethargic and the starters were selfish. It was Brad stuffing him to the back of the bench after those games that I thought was unfair to him and bad for the team. At least Nesmith still gets these remaining ways to really cement his play. Then it is too bad he'll have to wait so long to get out there on the NBA court again next season.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#705 » by BillessuR6 » Mon May 3, 2021 1:50 pm

He was not atrocious and did not suck.You could clearly see that he has high BBIQ, great length, great motor in every game he played...him being terrible was just a narrative based on lazy media and some fans who got carried away by a couple of big blunders he made...

If you watched him closely he was never terrible...
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#706 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 2:13 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:Certainly make tge fournier trade look worse.

I disagree here. I think Nesmith actually COMPLEMENTS the Fournier trade. Having 2 good wing shooters around Tatum like those two make this team better. And what's great is that Nesmith has shown himself to be a decent defender.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#707 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 3:54 pm

ParticleMan wrote:

And how do you suppose he got better? his non practices?? his watching from the sidelines? It really amazes me that you would rather believe everything Stevens does is Right, even when the evidence is insurmountable in my opinion.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#708 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 3:55 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:

Sure, he had a couple of atrocious games early on, but then he was coming along well with high energy games while the rest of the team was lethargic and the starters were selfish. It was Brad stuffing him to the back of the bench after those games that I thought was unfair to him and bad for the team. At least Nesmith still gets these remaining ways to really cement his play. Then it is too bad he'll have to wait so long to get out there on the NBA court again next season.

so much this ^
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#709 » by JHTruth » Mon May 3, 2021 4:02 pm

I think Nesmith was always a decent defender honestly. The shots just weren't falling and he was lost on offense.

I think he could have played earlier but as long as he gets mins from here on out it's fine. This is a lost year anyway so might as well play the youth
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#710 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 4:10 pm

JHTruth wrote:I think Nesmith was always a decent defender honestly. The shots just weren't falling and he was lost on offense.

I think he could have played earlier but as long as he gets mins from here on out it's fine. This is a lost year anyway so might as well play the youth

but here is why I disagree a bit. If Nesmith played earlier, got comfortable earlier and played like this earlier, and Boston won just a few of their games to bad teams, look where Boston might be in the standings right now.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#711 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 4:15 pm

I may have to take the L on defending Brad in regard to Nesmith in light of what I've seen. I have been of the belief that Brad had been searching for a combination that works. Early on Nesmith didn't know what he was doing on defense and obviously his shot wasn't falling. But certainly from about the midpoint of the season on you could see that the kid was always giving effort. And considering that we've had so many guys go out on the floor and give shi**y effort this season, Brad would've been well within his right to take some guys out immediately and put the kid in regardless of his shot not falling because effort matters. The minutes he's getting now, he earned a while ago. Brad has let guys skate for bad effort too often this season I think.

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#712 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 3, 2021 5:11 pm

Are you guys serious? A week ago he was shooting 32 pct from 3 and he's barely played organized basketball in 18 months. Energy is great but when you're running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not doing anything on offense, why should the coach be playing you more? Now he's showing he can do something useful with that energy, the shot is falling. So he plays.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#713 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 5:27 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Are you guys serious? A week ago he was shooting 32 pct from 3 and he's barely played organized basketball in 18 months. Energy is great but when you're running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not doing anything on offense, why should the coach be playing you more? Now he's showing he can do something useful with that energy, the shot is falling. So he plays.

Not sure if this was directed at me or the other post. If it's not ignore me. I'll say this: I wouldn't have minded seeing him get a few more minutes especially when our main guys were putting forth crappy efforts out there. It's one thing to not execute. It's entirely another to come out listless and flat time and time again and I don't have a problem with sending messages to your better players that they are not above accountability for that by taking them out and playing guys that bring energy even if it means they get beat up from an execution standpoint. That's all.

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 3, 2021 5:32 pm

I guess, but do we really need to micromanage down to a handful of minutes when none of us has any clue whatsoever what the plan is? Maybe this is the plan all along. Dude is raw, coming off a college season that ended in injury, then he has no summer league, no preseason, no team practices. He plays a little, does absolutely nothing, lost on both ends, can't hit a shot. Where is the need to play a ton more minutes there? By the end of the season he's going to be at ~800 minutes if this recent surge continues and potentially be an important rotation player in the playoffs. And he's the second-youngest player on the roster. Isn't this what you want? The young player establishing a role as the team enters the playoffs, he's taken all of Semi's minutes, all of Grant's, all of Langford's.

He's already played more minutes than he did in his last college season. With none of the typical preseason and practice a rookie normally gets.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#715 » by Homerclease » Mon May 3, 2021 6:01 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Are you guys serious? A week ago he was shooting 32 pct from 3 and he's barely played organized basketball in 18 months. Energy is great but when you're running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not doing anything on offense, why should the coach be playing you more? Now he's showing he can do something useful with that energy, the shot is falling. So he plays.

If doing something on offense was a prerequisite, half the team shouldn’t have been playing
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#716 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 3, 2021 6:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:

If doing something on offense was a prerequisite, half the team shouldn’t have been playing

I genuinely don't get who Nesmith should have been playing over up until a few weeks ago. He's going to be pushing 1000 minutes by the end of the playoffs, maybe more if the Celtics get their **** together. For a young player who is coming off an injured college season where he played 14 games, and with all this past year has thrown at sports teams and how they are able to practice, it's kind of insane to really be as upset as some posters here are. There are no practices and **** so teams play players who are more acclimated if they wish to win.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#717 » by soxfan2003 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:17 pm

Around 3 weeks ago in this thread when people were really questioning the Nesmith pick, I had fairly neutral to cautiously optimistic comments about Nesmith in my post. I wanted him to continue to get 10 minutes per game even if he continued to struggle since sooner or later, the NBA game could slow down for him a bit and he may be a little more comfortable/confident taking those 3's in NBA games. I didn't even rule him out as a positive contributor by this years playoffs since he has size and 3 point shooting ability.

Playoffs is a different story. In playoffs, in fairness to players on the team/coaches/fans, you need to play whoever the heck you think gives the team the best chance to win that particular game/series while a particular playoff game is competitive at least. Maybe it is Nesmith, maybe not. The rest of regular season and how Nesmith looks in post season will help determine how much he plays then.

But Ainge was my favorite Celtics player growing up and he struggled shooting early on in his career but like Nesmith he had a reputation/history as a very good shooter. In Ainge's case, he was not just transitioning from college basketball but from having concentrated on minor/MLB for a while.

I know that this is the era of not even having to go to the video store to rent a movie -- albeit 4K Blu-ray movies look and sound better -- but I totally believe in giving certain young players developmental minutes. I don't think it has to be a ton in the regular season until/unless the player really earns them. Nesmith is earning his minutes right now.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#718 » by Homerclease » Mon May 3, 2021 6:29 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

I genuinely don't get who Nesmith should have been playing over up until a few weeks ago. He's going to be pushing 1000 minutes by the end of the playoffs, maybe more if the Celtics get their **** together. For a young player who is coming off an injured college season where he played 14 games, and with all this past year has thrown at sports teams and how they are able to practice, it's kind of insane to really be as upset as some posters here are. There are no practices and **** so teams play players who are more acclimated if they wish to win.

Is he a bust yet? The only one who seems upset is you.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#719 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 6:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I guess, but do we really need to micromanage down to a handful of minutes when none of us has any clue whatsoever what the plan is? Maybe this is the plan all along. Dude is raw, coming off a college season that ended in injury, then he has no summer league, no preseason, no team practices. He plays a little, does absolutely nothing, lost on both ends, can't hit a shot. Where is the need to play a ton more minutes there? By the end of the season he's going to be at ~800 minutes if this recent surge continues and potentially be an important rotation player in the playoffs. And he's the second-youngest player on the roster. Isn't this what you want? The young player establishing a role as the team enters the playoffs, he's taken all of Semi's minutes, all of Grant's, all of Langford's.

He's already played more minutes than he did in his last college season. With none of the typical preseason and practice a rookie normally gets.

It's a good counter BG. In the end it is what it is. As far as how Nesmith has been treated by Brad, certainly not a hill that I'm gonna die on in terms of whether he should've played more earlier. I think in my case I was using Nesmith to make a commentary on Brad by proxy but we're here now as you stated. He's playing now and playing confidently so good for him.

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#720 » by Bleeding Green » Mon May 3, 2021 6:48 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Homerclease wrote:If doing something on offense was a prerequisite, half the team shouldn’t have been playing

Is he a bust yet? The only one who seems upset is you.

Is he a bust yet? He's 500 minutes into his NBA career. No.

Return to Boston Celtics