ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,483

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1101 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 6:18 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
The only way I think you get better by trading him is if Beal or Towns come available. Under either of those circumstances you move him with Romeo and 1st if necessary and make the deal. I'm rooting for Washington to just miss the tournament or get knocked out in the first game and hopefully send Beal over the edge.

Beal is an obvious get for me, but there might be other options out there besides Beal -Towns. Just using a hypothetical, maybe we send J Brown to OKC for 3 firsts (as they start to cash in their chips) and we trade the 3 firsts + Romeo (filler) for Sabonis + Brogdan ..If Indiana wants to start a rebuild.

Interesting idea. My only pushback would be, would Indy be looking to rebuild? Sabonis/Brogdon,Warren/Levert/Holiday make a pretty interesting core if they can all get healthy and play together. They do lack the top end talent but if we were able to get a pick from OKC that could facilitate acquiring such a talent, why would we not keep it for ourselves? Furthermore, why would OKC give up said pick being so early in their own rebuild?

All good and proper questions just stating it as a hypothetical because you never know
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
KingofTheClay
Junior
And1: 200

Post#1102 » by KingofTheClay » Mon May 3, 2021 6:57 pm

A bad defender with 0 passing ability, 0 instinct, and is a complete black hole on offense.

He’s basically a homeless man’s Rudy Gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1103 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 4, 2021 1:39 pm

Little breakdown of his game, and his improvements this season.

Spoiler:
Jaylen has made a pretty big leap this year, obviously. 24.7/6/3.4 on a 59% TS in his age 24 season is sweet as hell. I still don’t really see the Butler comparisons, just because their styles of are so different. He’s a hard guy to find a great comp for, even the Klay one I’ve used in the past isn’t great, because Klay runs around off of picks, where as Jaylen is more of a standstill shooter as of now.

First off, the good. He’s a legitimately elite three point shooter at this point, though clearly at his best off the catch. I don’t think Brad takes advantage of this enough, and our ball movement isn’t nearly good enough to get him enough open looks from deep. This summer Jaylen should practice running around off of picks and shooting off of them. Not only would it benefit him, but the offense would be much harder to defend as well.

He’s made a good jump as a playmaker, which was a necessity as it wasn’t really even a part of his game until this year. He gets himself into trouble trying to do too much, and setting others up just doesn’t come naturally to him, but he’s shown that he can hit guys when a second defender collapses on him on the drive. His assist rate has jumped from 9.7 last year to 16.6% this year, while his turnover rate has only jumped from 11.2% to 11.5%. The assist rate has fallen off the last month or two, but it’s been for the good of the offense. His usage has been down a bit the last two months, and they’ve been using him as more of a play finisher than initiator. His assists per game in March was 3, and in April it was down to 2.2.

He’s been really good as a scorer out of the PnR, is in the 87th percentile. He’s pretty explosive, so it makes sense as the PnR is about throwing the other teams defense out of whack for a moment. This seems to be something they can capitalize on more, and I hope they do.

This one is both good and bad. He is just a bad ISO scorer, but he recognizes this and does it even less than last year, as opposed to Tatum who does it more than last year, despite being far worse at it than last year lol. Last season Jaylen was in the 43rd percentile as an iso scorer, but only did it 7.4% of the time. This year he is in the 38th percentile, but only goes does it 7.1% of the time. He has a few go to moves, but he doesn’t really have the repertoire in a halfcourt offense to be a real threat in ISO.

One thing that surprised me was that he’s not as good in transition as I expected, is in the 57th percentile, but he does get out on the break a TON. 22.7% of his scoring opportunities are on the break, just for perspective, Westbrook is at 22.2%. He finished at a much better rate than Westbrook as well, but for a guy with his combo of size, speed, and strength, he should absolutely be in the top 20% percentile. He shoots 70% in the paint, which is really good, though somehow behind last year, does it much less frequently too. One thing that’s nice is he has dramatically cut down on his deep two’s since that start early in the season. Even if he was hitting them at a high rate, was a bad habit to get into. I have no issues with them at the end of the shot clock, but that should be more of a last option as opposed to taking them consistently.

Now the one real bad, his defense. I’ve never thought he was a great defender, but he’s much better than he’s shown this season. His team defense will never be a strength, but he needs to get back to being a very good on ball defender. In his defense, I think the shortened off season combined with him having to do so much more offensively than he’s ever done has played a big part in it. I mean you see superstars throughout the league take plays off defensively, it’s impossible to go all out on both ends all game. He’s just not great enough offensively where he can suck on defense and still be a positive impact player. I think next season he will get back to being better on that end, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Overall he’s had a really good season, and shown at the very least, he can be a great championship number 3. I have real concerns about if he can be the second guy, but that’s more a reflection of the super team era than Jaylen himself. I know I get on him at times, but it’s because if he can be that second guy, that makes everything infinitely easier for this team going forward. He puts in a ton of work, as everyone knows, so I’m not going to bet against him. Now we just need to get him healthy for the playoffs, and he needs to stop ending up on his ass so much.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,828

Post#1104 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:45 pm

.397 from the three is not elite this year due to how well the league as a whole is shooting. Jaylen's 3 pt avg is 51st in the league and something like 20th among players with 300 or more 3 pt attempts.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1105 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue May 4, 2021 1:49 pm

Jaylen should be shut down for the remainder. He needs to be completely rested and healthy so his energy is way up. If we’re to have any chance he needs to bring it on the defensive end
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,828

Post#1106 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:50 pm

Jaylen's problem on the defensive end is in his head, not energy.
Or, maybe it's better to phrase it as what's not in his head.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#1107 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue May 4, 2021 5:21 pm

The Comedian wrote:Little breakdown of his game, and his improvements this season.

Spoiler:
Jaylen has made a pretty big leap this year, obviously. 24.7/6/3.4 on a 59% TS in his age 24 season is sweet as hell. I still don’t really see the Butler comparisons, just because their styles of are so different. He’s a hard guy to find a great comp for, even the Klay one I’ve used in the past isn’t great, because Klay runs around off of picks, where as Jaylen is more of a standstill shooter as of now.

First off, the good. He’s a legitimately elite three point shooter at this point, though clearly at his best off the catch. I don’t think Brad takes advantage of this enough, and our ball movement isn’t nearly good enough to get him enough open looks from deep. This summer Jaylen should practice running around off of picks and shooting off of them. Not only would it benefit him, but the offense would be much harder to defend as well.

He’s made a good jump as a playmaker, which was a necessity as it wasn’t really even a part of his game until this year. He gets himself into trouble trying to do too much, and setting others up just doesn’t come naturally to him, but he’s shown that he can hit guys when a second defender collapses on him on the drive. His assist rate has jumped from 9.7 last year to 16.6% this year, while his turnover rate has only jumped from 11.2% to 11.5%. The assist rate has fallen off the last month or two, but it’s been for the good of the offense. His usage has been down a bit the last two months, and they’ve been using him as more of a play finisher than initiator. His assists per game in March was 3, and in April it was down to 2.2.

This one is both good and bad. He is just a bad ISO scorer, but he recognizes this and does it even less than last year, as opposed to Tatum who does it more than last year, despite being far worse at it than last year lol. Last season Jaylen was in the 43rd percentile as an iso scorer, but only did it 7.4% of the time. This year he is in the 38th percentile, but only goes does it 7.1% of the time. He has a few go to moves, but he doesn’t really have the repertoire in a halfcourt offense to be a real threat in ISO.

Now the one real bad, his defense. I’ve never thought he was a great defender, but he’s much better than he’s shown this season. His team defense will never be a strength, but he needs to get back to being a very good on ball defender. In his defense, I think the shortened off season combined with him having to do so much more offensively than he’s ever done has played a big part in it. I mean you see superstars throughout the league take plays off defensively, it’s impossible to go all out on both ends all game. He’s just not great enough offensively where he can suck on defense and still be a positive impact player. I think next season he will get back to being better on that end, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Overall he’s had a really good season, and shown at the very least, he can be a great championship number 3. I have real concerns about if he can be the second guy, but that’s more a reflection of the super team era than Jaylen himself. I know I get on him at times, but it’s because if he can be that second guy, that makes everything infinitely easier for this team going forward. He puts in a ton of work, as everyone knows, so I’m not going to bet against him. Now we just need to get him healthy for the playoffs, and he needs to stop ending up on his ass so much.

"Little" he says
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1108 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 4, 2021 5:33 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Little breakdown of his game, and his improvements this season.

Spoiler:

"Little" he says

The one in the Tatum thread is a bit longer lol, I had some time on my hands.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,645

Post#1109 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 6, 2021 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#1110 » by Matt5 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:45 pm

I want to see him reach it with us.
I still remember the party/ meet and greet he had with young NBA professionals.
Still supporting personal and team growth.

Jay King
@ByJayKing
·
25m
Now Jaylen Brown is doing a little bit of live action in 2-on-2 drills against coaches. He’s dribbling fine with his left hand.

Brian Robb
@BrianTRobb
·
10m
Jaylen Brown is doing some light shooting drills after Celtics practice here in Vegas with Joe Mazzulla
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1111 » by cloverleaf » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:18 pm

I'm looking forward to JB's coming season. Really glad that he's out there and even engaging with some light drills. I wonder if he's hosting a version of his event this year.
Tereve
Junior
And1: 2

Post#1112 » by Tereve » Mon Aug 9, 2021 9:51 pm

I am looking forward to seeing continued growth from Jaylen. One of the reasons I am excited about the Udoka hire is the jump Jaylen seemed to make after his Team USA experience. Pop had good things to say about Jaylen and I thought a lot of that experience carried over.

I bet Brad took that into consideration when hiring Ime. Brown came back a different player. More poised, patient and disciplined on top of the game slowing down for him. Sometimes the right coach matched with the right player or players(the Js) can be like catching lightning in a bottle. If Jaylen takes another leap with his game…thats an exciting proposition.
:guitar: "Are we having fun yet!?!” …Tommy
"We passed fun a long time ago" ...Mike Gorman :guitar:
TH15
Freshman
And1: 95

Post#1113 » by TH15 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:14 am

Seth Greenberg, the ESPN commentator for last night’s game, surprised me a bit when he described Jaylen as a “10 time All Star and face of the franchise” type player. That would put him in the Pierce category, and was probably just TV hyperbole. I’m high on Jaylen and would love to see it, he’ll need to keep improving every year and evolve his game over the years to get there. (My prediction in the other thread was 7 AS games for Jaylen, which isn’t far off, but a tier below)

Return to Boston Celtics