Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Friend_Of_Haley
RealGM
And1: 374

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#321 » by Friend_Of_Haley » Mon May 3, 2021 2:09 pm

bearadonisdna wrote:wow i came into the bears thread and found a whole page on race relations

Haha. Same. Not going to go back and figure out how we got here.

To try and get it back to the Bears. I have NEVER felt this good about a Bears pick or even a whole draft. This is how I wanted to feel about Watson in 2017, but they selected Trubisky. All QBs are going to carry a high bust rate, but I feel great avout Fields and they are damn lucky he dropped to 11. Big tip of the cap for Pace for going up to get him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,738

Post#322 » by dougthonus » Mon May 3, 2021 2:22 pm

dice wrote:a stat's popularity has jack **** to do with how good it is. QB rating is garbage, just like PER. QBR analyzes EVERY PLAY and gauges how much it increases/decreases the expected number of points scored on the drive. which is all that matters at the end of the day.

example 1:

if a QB fumbles on first and goal at the 1, that's hugely consequential. if he fumbles on 4th and 10 at midfield, not so much

example 2:

if a QB completes a 10 yard pass on 3rd and 9, that's very important. if he does so on 3rd and 14, not so much (unless it gets the team into field goal range)

example 3:

if a QB throws an INT on 1st and 10, that's really bad. if he throws a hail mary with the clock at 0 and it gets picked off...same thing as an incompletion

and yes, trubisky was pretty good last year. although he missed the tough part of the schedule

QBR is good at measuring how a player did this season, but using these same examples, the fact that you make a really bad play at a critical time isn't indicative of doing so in the future necessarily. I think you're right that there are plays that are basically irrelevant that you want to ignore completely (hail mary's) the vast majority of the time, but fumbling on the 1 doesn't mean you're likely to fumble on the 1 next time you're there.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#323 » by molepharmer » Mon May 3, 2021 2:40 pm

UDFA signings (see edit):
Gage Cervenka, G
Gunnar Vogel, T
Caleb Johnson, LB
Sam Kamara, DT
Charles Snowden, DE; edge, Virginia (6-foot-6, 243 pounds); #118 on D. Brugler top 300 board
Thomas Schaffer, DT

I don't know anything about their playing ability.

edit add:The above list is from Spotrac but I just read K Fishbane's article posted 3 hrs ago at The Athletic and he goes into more detail on the signings. He includes a bunch more UDFAs that weren't showing at Spotrac.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,362

Post#324 » by Michael Jackson » Mon May 3, 2021 3:07 pm

WindyCityBorn wrote:
dice wrote:small town mormon disney star uncomfortable with ja'marr chase flashing gang sign:

https://i.imgur.com/g5tslL8.mp4

Visibly so. He is in for a culture shock. And Chase is an idiot for doing that.

I'm a huge anti-cult type person because of my personal history, but in fairness to that kid, it is a little uncomfortable of a situation. His reaction was understood.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#325 » by patryk7754 » Mon May 3, 2021 4:36 pm

Leno has been cut. At the least this gets us under the cap with the ability to keep hicks. Hopefully some more moves are made
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,738

Post#326 » by dougthonus » Mon May 3, 2021 4:44 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Leno has been cut. At the least this gets us under the cap with the ability to keep hicks. Hopefully some more moves are made

NFL cap seems difficult for me to understand as I'm not an expert in it, but sure feels like there isn't much room to do anything else.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#327 » by Leslie Forman » Mon May 3, 2021 5:29 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:
dice wrote:small town mormon disney star uncomfortable with ja'marr chase flashing gang sign:

https://i.imgur.com/g5tslL8.mp4

I'm a huge anti-cult type person because of my personal history, but in fairness to that kid, it is a little uncomfortable of a situation. His reaction was understood.

Really not sure how it's any different from Derrick Rose at the All-Star game.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,603
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#328 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon May 3, 2021 5:34 pm

I'm really happy with what the Bears did in this draft. Added a modern QB with a ton of potential and some much needed toughness on the O-line. From what I've read, we got a lot of value in the late-round picks so getting anything from that group would be a huge win.

Also, I'm excited about this Snowden kid. I hear he's going to post of the other teams' playbooks on wiki leaks.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#329 » by Michael Jackson » Mon May 3, 2021 7:15 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:

Really not sure how it's any different from Derrick Rose at the All-Star game.

If D Rose did it next to a doe eyed Mormon i would expect the same reaction. Let me be clear too, I at that age absolutely may have flashed a sign or something similar well because ya know, youth. Also at that age I had zero assets to lose unlike these guys, but I likely would t have thought much of it. Also I am not putting Rose on any pedestal of how to act with the media. That was not one of his elite skills. Now how to score in traffic or run a train on a girl, I might take his insight.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,756

Post#330 » by Jeffster81 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:19 pm

patryk7754 wrote:Leno has been cut. At the least this gets us under the cap with the ability to keep hicks. Hopefully some more moves are made

They did not cut Leno to possibly keep Hicks, they did it, imo, to free up money to sign their draft picks.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,322

Post#331 » by Stratmaster » Mon May 3, 2021 7:21 pm

So...who starts at QB for the Bears in game 1?
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,756

Post#332 » by Jeffster81 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:21 pm

Friend_Of_Haley wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:wow i came into the bears thread and found a whole page on race relations

Haha. Same. Not going to go back and figure out how we got here.

To try and get it back to the Bears. I have NEVER felt this good about a Bears pick or even a whole draft. This is how I wanted to feel about Watson in 2017, but they selected Trubisky. All QBs are going to carry a high bust rate, but I feel great avout Fields and they are damn lucky he dropped to 11. Big tip of the cap for Pace for going up to get him.

There are now reports that are saying Vikings were set to take Fields at 14. If this is try, it's a double win for the Bears. They get their QB of the future and kept him out of Minnesota hands, which means they pivoted to Kellen Monds. Win-win for the Bears.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#333 » by Michael Jackson » Mon May 3, 2021 7:22 pm

mlitney01 wrote:I'm really happy with what the Bears did in this draft. Added a modern QB with a ton of potential and some much needed toughness on the O-line. From what I've read, we got a lot of value in the late-round picks so getting anything from that group would be a huge win.

Also, I'm excited about this Snowden kid. I hear he's going to post of the other teams' playbooks on wiki leaks.

In full hypocrite mode, I hated trading up for Mitch but I am OK with Fields. Both of the trade ups were logical at least and I get there there may have been better value. As everyone knows though this was Pace swinging for the fences... either this lays off or he is not here to worry about those future picks anyway. What does he lose if it falls flat on his face, they already had a pink slip drafted for him so from his perspective take the chance. Hopefully like with Fields this is a Hail Mary that pays off. At the very least, the Bears now have more on the fence fans interested in this upcoming season and they addressed 2 major issues with strong moves. In 2 years when you do a redraft we will see how smart these moves were or if they were a failure but for today well it is interesting at least. It can’t be worse than the most NFL ready quarterback ever in the draft, Cade Mckown.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,867

Post#334 » by Dresden » Mon May 3, 2021 7:24 pm

molepharmer wrote:UDFA signings (see edit):
Gage Cervenka, G
Gunnar Vogel, T
Caleb Johnson, LB
Sam Kamara, DT
Charles Snowden, DE; edge, Virginia (6-foot-6, 243 pounds); #118 on D. Brugler top 300 board
Thomas Schaffer, DT

edit add:The above list is from Spotrac but I just read K Fishbane's article posted 3 hrs ago at The Athletic and he goes into more detail on the signings. He includes a bunch more UDFAs that weren't showing at Spotrac.

Wow, almost all lineman. I like that. I know we need corners and wr's too, but you can never have enough quality lineman on both sides of the ball, and I'm glad to see the Bears finally addressing these areas after years of neglect.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,867

Post#335 » by Dresden » Mon May 3, 2021 7:30 pm

Not only did the Bears nail their first two picks, but they seem to have found very good value in their later picks as well. That corner out of Oregon would have gone much higher in the draft had he not opted out this year due to Covid, so he could be a key player. The RB from VT is getting rave reviews, and the slot receiver also has a lot of analysts wondering why he fell that far in the draft. The only two I have not heard a lot of great things about are the lineman they took in the 5th, and the DT they took in the 7th. But I expect at least one them to make the team as well. So from top to bottom, this draft, on paper, looks like an absolute home run for the Bears.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,387

Post#336 » by fleet » Mon May 3, 2021 7:35 pm

Probably to sign the draft picks?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#337 » by fleet » Mon May 3, 2021 7:36 pm

Stratmaster wrote:So...who starts at QB for the Bears in game 1?

Hopefully Fields pulls a Russell Wilson V Flynn
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#338 » by fleet » Mon May 3, 2021 7:41 pm

molepharmer wrote:UDFA signings (see edit):
Gage Cervenka, G
Gunnar Vogel, T
Caleb Johnson, LB
Sam Kamara, DT
Thomas Schaffer, DT

Snowden looks a bit like Floyd. Guess he’s the headliner. The running back from Coastal Carolina looks talented. But suddenly the Bears have no more room for a running back. Depending on special teams.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#339 » by Susan » Mon May 3, 2021 7:54 pm

Man, it's wild what a difference a week makes.

Rodgers burning the Packers to the ground is every bit as exciting as us getting a blue chip prospect at QB.

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

One of the comments:

Rob Demovsky and Jason Wilde were on the local Green Bay station last night. Demovsky has spoken with players and he said the odds of Rodgers returning are less than 5%. Demovsky said this has blown up the whole organization, said it’ll harm free agency, inferred that Davante is gone after next year.

Wilde was slightly more optimistic and thought as time goes on Rodgers may contemplate returning for the players sake. That’s my thoughts too. Rodgers is done, done, done with the front office. Only the players can get him to return. Wilde said this started with Jordy being let go. It’s been one thing after another where the F/O has treated him like a long snapper.

Even with the Love trade up, it doesn’t appear that was straw that broke the camel’s back. He had moved on from that. It’s when he takes them to an NFC championship while winning the MVP and they refused to extend his guaranteed money for an EXTRA FREAKING YEAR. He has one guaranteed year left and just wanted an extra one and Gutekunst said no. No doubt that was the final straw. Of course, their offering him the moon now but sounds like Rodgers has already checked out.

Gutekunst considered drafting Kizer and Drew Lock. Appears he’s been pushing Rodgers out the door since he got the GM job. All the homers that think Love is a lock to be a star, consider the QB acumen of Gutekunst’s pass QB considerations. Every beat reporter up here will tell you Love is no where near ready to take an NFL snap. He had no training camp, and walked around in jeans on the sidelines all year. Rodgers knows this and he also knows they’re cap strapped and can’t afford even a semi-decent vet QB. They’ll go 0-17 or 1-16 or some other horrendous record. Gute/Murphy’s jobs will definitely be on the line after that fiasco. Murphy/Gute think the two consecutive championships are due to their genius. Rodgers said, well see about that. How many FA’s you think Gute’s going to sign after Davante books and they’re 1-16 ?

One thing people are missing is the absolute brilliance of Rodgers timing in all of this. A couple hours before the draft while Gute is lining up the draft board, his phone is ringing off the hook with Rodgers offers. Gute denies that but Jason Wilde will tell you they’ve had many calls. Media is swarming like locusts. Turned the entire team on it’s head, gave Murphy/Gutekunst a nitro glycerin enema. No one deserves it more than these two idiots. Who drives a HOF QB out of town with four good years left in him ? The Bears called Andy Freaking Dalton before they drafted Justin Fields for Chrissakes.

I think Rodgers reached the point where……………….you want your golden 1st rounder so bad, be my guest. Here ya’ go, I’m out. Why do you think Rodgers has been hosting Jeopardy ? Jeopardy pays between $12-$20 million per-year. If Rodgers is paid top end at $20 large, he owes the Packers $23 million I believe. So, he eats $3 mill. That’s his light bill. Big deal.

Gutekunst and Murphy may have set this franchise back for years with their idiocy. They asked Gutekunst about Rodgers wanting him out. He said he hadn’t heard that from Aaron directly or publicly. He’s right, it was reported Rodgers told Murphy that. Rodgers had this planned, the timing, the story drops. This isn’t a guy trying some negotiating ploys. He’s burning bridges with the Front office.

Murphy won’t fire Gutekunst because he thinks it sets a precedent of a player running the front office show. The precedent he’s really setting though is he’s allowing a GM to ruin a SB caliber team without consequence.

The division is up for grabs if Aaron sits out, I don't trust Goff as far as I can throw him and we've owned the Vikings over the Nagy era.
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,947
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#340 » by MalagaBulls » Mon May 3, 2021 7:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:

NFL cap seems difficult for me to understand as I'm not an expert in it, but sure feels like there isn't much room to do anything else.

It´s actually easier than the NBA CAP Doug. You can now extend both Hicks (2 year deal with an xtra voidable to extend the amount of years a signing bonus is paid over) and ARob. His CAP hit is 17.8M. With a new contract of say 5/90M you pay him a guaranteed 2M salary for 2021 and a 30M signing bonus which is paid upfront.
Therefore you spread the bonus over 5 year to 6M per. So his 2021 CAP hit is reduced by nearly 10M (9.8M) and that now covers the incoming rookie class salary scale and also gives you about 2-3M wiggle room.
You can cut Graham and get another 7M. Re-doing Hicks contract will net you another 5-6M so you can claw back another 22-23M just from those last 3. And you can cut other vets post June 1 and save more. But with the CAP set to rise to hopefully 205-210M in 2022 (from 182.5M) methinks you will have plenty of room to manuveur.

Return to Chicago Bulls