ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Randle is different

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,760

Re: PG: Randle is different 

Post#241 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:44 pm

I really hate to say it but it's pretty awesome that one of Perry's reclamation projects actually ended up paying off. I don't think the Knicks sign Randle if he wasn't here. I'm actually not too sure if they'll actually let him go now either. He was apart of the front office that drafted RJ, Mitch, and signed Randle and they're three big contributors to this playoff run. He probably does deserve some credit right? Maybe they'll see if he wants to be reassigned as an assistant GM or something cuz I would think that Rose really wants to keep Aller and that's the only better job title he can offer Aller.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,243

Post#242 » by Clyde Frazier » Mon May 3, 2021 5:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 118,608

Post#243 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 5:49 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I really hate to say it but it's pretty awesome that one of Perry's reclamation projects actually ended up paying off. I don't think the Knicks sign Randle if he wasn't here. I'm actually not too sure if they'll actually let him go now either. He was apart of the front office that drafted RJ, Mitch, and signed Randle and they're three big contributors to this playoff run. He probably does deserve some credit right? Maybe they'll see if he wants to be reassigned as an assistant GM or something cuz I would think that Rose really wants to keep Aller and that's the only better job title he can offer Aller.

perry/mills had the right idea with acquiring good talents. they just never hired the right people to develop the players which is why it never worked out for them
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#244 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 5:51 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
jvsimonetti0514 wrote:I really hate to say it but it's pretty awesome that one of Perry's reclamation projects actually ended up paying off. I don't think the Knicks sign Randle if he wasn't here. I'm actually not too sure if they'll actually let him go now either. He was apart of the front office that drafted RJ, Mitch, and signed Randle and they're three big contributors to this playoff run. He probably does deserve some credit right? Maybe they'll see if he wants to be reassigned as an assistant GM or something cuz I would think that Rose really wants to keep Aller and that's the only better job title he can offer Aller.

perry/mills had the right idea with acquiring good talents. they just never hired the right people to develop the players which is why it never worked out for them

Steve Mills curse is undefeated. None of this happens if he's still here.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#245 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:00 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

I feel like Perry deserves more credit cuz there was definitely a change in strategy when he came on board. We would have been dealing Ryan Anderson's contract instead of drafting Mitch. I'm kinda relieved that Mills got duped by Fizdale cuz we might still be dealing with him as President instead of Rose.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#246 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 6:10 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

im not arguing we should've kept him. we had to get rid of him. knicks have a losing record with mills. but i do think he had a decent plan on getting good talent. he just didn't know how to bring out the best out of our talent. he hired the worst coaches ever
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#247 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 6:11 pm

jvsimonetti0514 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

I feel like Perry deserves more credit cuz there was definitely a change in strategy when he came on board. We would have been dealing Ryan Anderson's contract instead of drafting Mitch. I'm kinda relieved that Mills got duped by Fizdale cuz we might still be dealing with him as President instead of Rose.

i cant tell who influenced moves more between mills and perry, that's why i lump them together. we won't truly know unless we have some personal connections with them
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,451

Post#248 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon May 3, 2021 6:37 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:perry/mills had the right idea with acquiring good talents. they just never hired the right people to develop the players which is why it never worked out for them

im not arguing we should've kept him. we had to get rid of him. knicks have a losing record with mills. but i do think he had a decent plan on getting good talent. he just didn't know how to bring out the best out of our talent. he hired the worst coaches ever

I dont know if Mills really had a plan. Even at the end it sounded like Mills was pushing to trade Randle and keep Morris.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,075

Post#249 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 6:48 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:

The problem is that they destroyed their reputations by playing a high-stakes game they had no chance of winning. As a result they both came off as ridiculously delusional and they didn't get enough assets in return for KP. We can't downplay damage that 2019 free agency did to this franchise. The Knicks were already a laughingstock and they managed to sink (and sink us Knicks fans) even lower.

I think Perry's fine in terms of individual moves. I'll admit I didn't give him enough credit for his talent evaluation when it comes to Randle (RJ was a lay-up sorry). It's the big picture stuff where he's lacking imo, the ability to put together a team where the talent fits.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#250 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 6:54 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

I dont know if Mills really had a plan. Even at the end it sounded like Mills was pushing to trade Randle and keep Morris.

you’re actually right. I remember the Randle for Rozier rumors was when Mills was still there. i guess he didn’t really know what he was doing at all. i do wonder how much of a influence Perry had. i wouldn’t be surprised if perry was actually some smart guy and tried to talk Mills out of his mistakes. I guess we’ll see if the Knicks decide to bring him back
Guano
RealGM
And1: 39,733

Post#251 » by Guano » Mon May 3, 2021 7:04 pm

Oscirus wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

The 25 players who made that 25 under 25 list must be the ****

must be in bed with portland to drive RJ's stock down so we have to include more assets when we trade him for Dame
Chanel Bomber wrote:This board really is full of bad people.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#252 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 7:04 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:

The problem is that they destroyed their reputations by playing a high-stakes game they had no chance of winning. As a result they both came off as ridiculously delusional and they didn't get enough assets in return for KP. We can't downplay damage that 2019 free agency did to this franchise. The Knicks were already a laughingstock and they managed to sink (and sink us Knicks fans) even lower.

I think Perry's fine in terms of individual moves. I'll admit I didn't give him enough credit for his talent evaluation when it comes to Randle (RJ was a lay-up sorry). It's the big picture stuff where he's lacking imo, the ability to put together a team where the talent fits.

i remember Marc stein was saying the Knicks went and shopped around KP and nobody really wanted him for what we were asking for. seems like his value was pretty low. i think the Knicks did the best they can even if the return wasn’t what we expected. at least we won the trade though. we used our cap space on Randle and Morris who we flipped for IQ. then DSJ for Rose. i think we did well if you look at it that way.

i agree with the rest of your post though for sure.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#253 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 7:19 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:perry/mills had the right idea with acquiring good talents. they just never hired the right people to develop the players which is why it never worked out for them

i remember Marc stein was saying the Knicks went and shopped around KP and nobody really wanted him for what we were asking for. seems like his value was pretty low. i think the Knicks did the best they can even if the return wasn’t what we expected. at least we won the trade though. we used our cap space on Randle and Morris who we flipped for IQ. then DSJ for Rose. i think we did well if you look at it that way.

I don't buy whatever Marc Stein is selling. He has no sources outside of Dallas.

The Knicks apparently had a deal with Sacramento that included Fox, but Sacramento weren't willing to absorb the contracts of Hardaway, Lee and Burke. So we could've gotten a lot better value, but the delusion that we were gonna sign KD/Kyrie with all that capspace (which required trading away these contracts) prevented us from getting a talent like Fox. That's my beef with the KP trade.

Otherwise I always thought trading KP for picks was a wise decision, and as far as I can remember I always thought we won the trade. It just could've been far better.
booyaka_jones
Sophomore
And1: 227

Post#254 » by booyaka_jones » Mon May 3, 2021 7:19 pm

I'm sorry I'm as hype as the next man, but I'm realistic - I want absolutely no parts of Miami in the first round. It's nice to beat your chest but think clearly my brothers - that's our worst possible matchup lol
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager

Post#255 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:24 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

wasn't there another rumor that Mills was pushing to trade for DeAngelo Russell as well? He really seemed like the type of person that was throwing stuff up against the wall to see what sticks. Perry came in and we started accumulating picks and guys that kinda washed out on their rookie deals and that's how we ended up with Randle here. There was definitely a clear philosophy change once Perry came on board. I'm not here to claim that Perry is a visionary or anything but he made some good trades and help manage the cap well enough that's put us in this position to succeed.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#256 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 7:28 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The problem is that they destroyed their reputations by playing a high-stakes game they had no chance of winning. As a result they both came off as ridiculously delusional and they didn't get enough assets in return for KP. We can't downplay damage that 2019 free agency did to this franchise. The Knicks were already a laughingstock and they managed to sink (and sink us Knicks fans) even lower.

I don't buy whatever Marc Stein is selling. He has no sources outside of Dallas.

The Knicks apparently had a deal with Sacramento that included Fox, but Sacramento weren't willing to absorb the contracts of Hardaway, Lee and Burke. So we could've gotten a lot better value, but the delusion that we were gonna sign KD/Kyrie with all that capspace (which required trading away these contracts) prevented us from getting a talent like Fox. That's my beef with the KP trade.

Otherwise I always thought trading KP for picks was a wise decision, and as far as I can remember I always thought we won the trade. It just could've been far better.

i feel like Marc stein is pretty credible. i haven’t seen him get anything wrong.

my initial reaction to the KP trade was that we got fleeced. then I talked myself into it. but looking back at it in hindsight I think we did well. i don’t know who else the Knicks could’ve gotten for KP. we tried to get Donovan Mitchell and they said no. we tried to get Fox and Bagley and they said no
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#257 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 7:30 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i remember Marc stein was saying the Knicks went and shopped around KP and nobody really wanted him for what we were asking for. seems like his value was pretty low. i think the Knicks did the best they can even if the return wasn’t what we expected. at least we won the trade though. we used our cap space on Randle and Morris who we flipped for IQ. then DSJ for Rose. i think we did well if you look at it that way.

i feel like Marc stein is pretty credible. i haven’t seen him get anything wrong.

my initial reaction to the KP trade was that we got fleeced. then I talked myself into it. but looking back at it in hindsight I think we did well. i don’t know who else the Knicks could’ve gotten for KP. we tried to get Donovan Mitchell and they said no. we tried to get Fox and Bagley and they said no

I just randomly needed to hate on someone. It happens sometimes.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Post#258 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 7:36 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The problem is that they destroyed their reputations by playing a high-stakes game they had no chance of winning. As a result they both came off as ridiculously delusional and they didn't get enough assets in return for KP. We can't downplay damage that 2019 free agency did to this franchise. The Knicks were already a laughingstock and they managed to sink (and sink us Knicks fans) even lower.

Luckily for us Julius + IQ turned out to be an even better than Fox :wink:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM

Post#259 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 3, 2021 7:37 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:i remember Marc stein was saying the Knicks went and shopped around KP and nobody really wanted him for what we were asking for. seems like his value was pretty low. i think the Knicks did the best they can even if the return wasn’t what we expected. at least we won the trade though. we used our cap space on Randle and Morris who we flipped for IQ. then DSJ for Rose. i think we did well if you look at it that way.

I stand corrected, I can't find any piece that says the contracts were a deal-breaker, but it's sort of implied that the notion killed any potential Fox for Porzingis deal.

Divac thought Fox and Doncic would be redundant so if they were gonna draft Luka in 2018 then they would have needed to trade Fox. Enter the Knicks, who offered KP for Fox, but also wanted other additional pieces plus Sacramento taking on these contracts.

So who knows how close we would have been to a deal had Hardaway, Burke and Lee not been part of the discussions. Much closer, for sure. Apparently they revisited the trade months later.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,495

Post#260 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 7:38 pm

booyaka_jones wrote:I'm sorry I'm as hype as the next man, but I'm realistic - I want absolutely no parts of Miami in the first round. It's nice to beat your chest but think clearly my brothers - that's our worst possible matchup lol

Which means that beating them would be the biggest accomplishment we could achieve if we hold onto the 4-seed :wink:
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Return to New York Knicks