ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#241 » by Xatticus » Mon May 3, 2021 8:08 am

pepe1991 wrote:Barnes is basically Gordon with bit better passing but not as athletic. Sounds like perfect 4th offensive option on team that matters

I just don't see this comp. Jalen Johnson looks more like Gordon to me. He isn't as athletic as Gordon was, but otherwise they seem fairly similar. They have similar skill sets without the feel to really maximize them.

I go back and forth on Barnes. I think his floor is a rotation player. He's just too versatile at the defensive end to not be able to carve out a role in the NBA. We know he can defend guards because he spent the whole year doing it. He looks a lot like Draymond Green, but they didn't play similar roles in college. We don't know how good Barnes would be if he were matched up against other bigs. His rebound rate was really low for his size. His stat line across the board was rather underwhelming.

I don't see point guard skills on the offensive end. It seemed to me that he spent a lot of time in the post, but he doesn't have a very good post game. He is certainly an adept passer, but I think the scouting reports I have been reading overstate how good he is at it. He isn't a zero at the offensive end because he can throw the ball around and he will find the open man. His shot isn't good and there isn't much reason to believe it ever will be. His shot looks much better when he is completely open, but he has ugly misses whenever he is under any kind of pressure. I think his biggest assets at the offensive end are that his handle is good enough to take advantage of opportunities to drive, he keeps his eyes up when he does, and he is capable of making decisions while on the move. His turnover rate was quite high though.

I think people look at his archetype and see value in it. He has good size and length and he can guard down a couple positions. He reads the floor and will move the ball to the open man. He can attack the basket when the opportunity is there. This all sounds good, but I think in Barnes' case, it sounds better than it actually is. Despite his size, I don't think he can really give you much of what you expect from a frontcourt player. College has a lot of undersized bigs whose games don't translate to the NBA. Barnes was bigger than pretty much everyone he matched up with, but he didn't dominate his opponents physically.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#242 » by Xatticus » Mon May 3, 2021 8:23 am

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Barnes is basically Gordon with bit better passing but not as athletic. Sounds like perfect 4th offensive option on team that matters

I think Barnes has a much more fluid handle and instincts on the ball than Gordon, and he could be the better defender too. But his lack of touch on shots will cripple his potential and I don’t think he can overcome that. I see him as closer to Kyle Anderson than Ben Simmons, as examples of that archetype.

He looks like a role player with no star potential so I wouldn’t spend a lottery pick on him.

If we’re out of the top 5 then Keon and Springer are my targets, with Giddey after that.

I just come away underwhelmed every time I look at prospects for the Bulls pick. This could be a really disappointing draft for us if we don't get into the top 5.

If I'm forced to take a wing with a pick in the 6 to 10 range, then I'd probably go with Springer. He has his flaws and he doesn't look like a high-ceiling guy, but that might be more stylistic than anything else. He seems a reluctant shooter, or he just greatly prefers to attack the paint. I'd probably have Moody after that, but Moody looks to have a low ceiling.

Keon Johnson can't shoot. If he could, he would look terrific. He might be a glorified Derrick Jones Jr.

Bouknight isn't a very good offensive player. He had the keys to UConn's offense and all he did was create poor looks for himself. He is clever enough to get himself cheap baskets throughout the game that make him somewhat useful offensively, but I don't think you'd ever want him as a high-volume scorer. I think his upside is Rip Hamilton.

It's just not a very appealing crop to me. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Giddey and live with the consequences.

I like Sengun. I just doubt anyone would want to hear the arguments for him and I'd be really surprised if we took him given our roster composition and the question marks surrounding his versatility. He might just be an undersized five. That's what he does in Turkey. The difference between him and most of everything else that is available outside of the top 5 is that he is really good at what he does well and that he is putting up big numbers against solid competition as an 18 year old. His archetype has fallen out of favor, but I could see him carving out a Sabonis-like role.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#243 » by GelbeWand09 » Mon May 3, 2021 10:39 am

Xatticus wrote:
Bensational wrote:

I think Barnes has a much more fluid handle and instincts on the ball than Gordon, and he could be the better defender too. But his lack of touch on shots will cripple his potential and I don’t think he can overcome that. I see him as closer to Kyle Anderson than Ben Simmons, as examples of that archetype.

He looks like a role player with no star potential so I wouldn’t spend a lottery pick on him.

If we’re out of the top 5 then Keon and Springer are my targets, with Giddey after that.

I just come away underwhelmed every time I look at prospects for the Bulls pick. This could be a really disappointing draft for us if we don't get into the top 5.

If I'm forced to take a wing with a pick in the 6 to 10 range, then I'd probably go with Springer. He has his flaws and he doesn't look like a high-ceiling guy, but that might be more stylistic than anything else. He seems a reluctant shooter, or he just greatly prefers to attack the paint. I'd probably have Moody after that, but Moody looks to have a low ceiling.

Keon Johnson can't shoot. If he could, he would look terrific. He might be a glorified Derrick Jones Jr.

Bouknight isn't a very good offensive player. He had the keys to UConn's offense and all he did was create poor looks for himself. He is clever enough to get himself cheap baskets throughout the game that make him somewhat useful offensively, but I don't think you'd ever want him as a high-volume scorer. I think his upside is Rip Hamilton.

It's just not a very appealing crop to me. I think I'd rather roll the dice on Giddey and live with the consequences.

I like Sengun. I just doubt anyone would want to hear the arguments for him and I'd be really surprised if we took him given our roster composition and the question marks surrounding his versatility. He might just be an undersized five. That's what he does in Turkey. The difference between him and most of everything else that is available outside of the top 5 is that he is really good at what he does well and that he is putting up big numbers against solid competition as an 18 year old. His archetype has fallen out of favor, but I could see him carving out a Sabonis-like role.

Feel absolute the same. Thats the worst draft in a while to have a 2nd lottery pick. Last year i loved Poku but knew we wont draft him because of the big logjam. The year before my pick was Herro. The year before we could have used one of the picks to draft Porter Jr. without big risk. This year Giddey is the only player i like in that range but honestly even in the 6-15 range. Sengun gonna produce but i'm just no fan of that playertype. Barnes is ok in case we draft one of the 3 guards but not as the main prize.

Its the reason why i always cared for the Bulls pick only to trade up but with us now probably drafting at 7th - 9th without lottery luck, i doubt thats enough, even with the other Bulls pick to move in the Top 3. Would probably cost a unprotected first next year & i doubt we do this.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#244 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 11:03 am

If we only had one pick in the mid first round, we'd be fawning over Moody and Kispert. We'd probably be hoping a player like Wagner falls to the mid first round.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,223

Post#245 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 3, 2021 12:42 pm

i'm sucker for Josh Chirstopher, i think he can be really good.
But last year i wanted Nesmith so i'm down on my eye for a talent :lol: Tbh i still think Nesmith can become strong 2 -guard but it will take time.

But i dislike 6-10 range of picks with passion. I really don't like anybody.
As for Barnes, Xat, you probably saw more of him than me, but it's like Draymoond Green mixed with some AG? But , Green on team not named Warriors, not matched with best guard duo in modern history would have been washed out of nba in few years. Poor man Josh Smith at best. Witch i think Barnes is best camp i can come up with.

Zair Wiliams is project, guy looks to be 1 bum away from season ending injury. Guy is toothpick.
Davion Mitchell, i highly doubt, if they measure them without shoes, he will pass 6'1 range. He is very small point guard.
Giddey, i'll hold my resevrations about drafting him due league he played and how unathletic he looks.
Why is Wagner even projected to be lottery pick? It's like Zeller family, one bad one isn't enough of evidence?

Truth is, i'm kind a hoping we don't get 7-11th pick from Bulls because we won't find anybody with it worth taking in lottery, and next year's lottery should be really good. And if we land like 5th pick, than I would pack whatever it takes to go inside top 3 and take Suggs, Green or Cade.
Us drafting 5th and 8th, in my books would be terrible outcom.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#246 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 1:22 pm

pepe1991 wrote:i'm sucker for Josh Chirstopher, i think he can be really good.
But last year i wanted Nesmith so i'm down on my eye for a talent Tbh i still think Nesmith can become strong 2 -guard but it will take time.

But i dislike 6-10 range of picks with passion. I really don't like anybody.
As for Barnes, Xat, you probably saw more of him than me, but it's like Draymoond Green mixed with some AG? But , Green on team not named Warriors, not matched with best guard duo in modern history would have been washed out of nba in few years. Poor man Josh Smith at best. Witch i think Barnes is best camp i can come up with.

Zair Wiliams is project, guy looks to be 1 bum away from season ending injury. Guy is toothpick.
Davion Mitchell, i highly doubt, if they measure them without shoes, he will pass 6'1 range. He is very small point guard.
Giddey, i'll hold my resevrations about drafting him due league he played and how unathletic he looks.
Why is Wagner even projected to be lottery pick? It's like Zeller family, one bad one isn't enough of evidence?

Truth is, i'm kind a hoping we don't get 7-11th pick from Bulls because we won't find anybody with it worth taking in lottery, and next year's lottery should be really good. And if we land like 5th pick, than I would pack whatever it takes to go inside top 3 and take Suggs, Green or Cade.
Us drafting 5th and 8th, in my books would be terrible outcom.
Josh Smith was more of a chucker than Barnes. He seems like a less aggressive, small forward version of Ben Simmons. The wide open NBA may help his game.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#247 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 3, 2021 5:14 pm

If Barnes is Ben Simmons-lite / Draymond I think Orlando could do far worse considering we lack playmaking and perimeter scoring.

Walking away with Barnes and one of Kispert/Moody/Keon/Bouknight wouldn’t be terrible if Orlando lands at 6-8 with both picks and unable to trade into the top 4.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#248 » by Def Swami » Mon May 3, 2021 6:36 pm

I'm not thrilled with anyone after #5. If we get two lottery picks outside the top 5, I'm kind of interested in Davion Mitchell for one of them.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,475

Post#249 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon May 3, 2021 7:06 pm

Im only researching players out of top 5 now.

I thought this was going to be our year after tanking hard for most of the season. But feels like we're about to go on a winning streak
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#250 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 8:15 pm

Franz Wagner reminds me of Chuma. He always knows where to be and makes the right play. He's also an analytics pick guy, like Chuma. They both had similar BPM. Wagner is also mostly known for his defense.

The latest ESPN draftcast has him 9th.

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#251 » by RookieStar » Mon May 3, 2021 9:41 pm

Why do we continue to do this to ourselves? I mean how many times have we drafted an uber-athlete that smacks DPOY-level material yet waaaaay behind on offense/shooting hoping we can just teach that. Why not get those that are flashing and brimming with offense this time and hope we can develop or mask their defense?

Im taking about Barnes of course. When there are offensive-minded players available like Bouknight Keon and Moody, why do we pick the archetype again of Iwundu,JI,Bamba,Chuma,Frazier etc?
TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#252 » by TaylorTag » Mon May 3, 2021 10:45 pm

Hey, hate to be that guy who infiltrates another fanbase's trade board, but wanted to gauge where your temperature would be at in this scenario..

Wolves get lucky and land the #1 pick ... Orlando gets pick #7

Would Orlando consider pick #1 + Jarett Culver for Jonathan Isaac?

I know Orlando sees Isaac as a pillar of the franchise, but I wonder if the #1 pick would be enough to entice you all to make that trade... For the Wolves, we have a rookie, Jaden McDaniels, who is that SF/PF hybrid and has been playing admirably at the 4. To be honest, Wolves fans are drooling over this kid and the prospect of having McDaniels play next Isaac would really help our offensive-oriented players in KAT and D'Lo
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#253 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 11:00 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Hey, hate to be that guy who infiltrates another fanbase's trade board, but wanted to gauge where your temperature would be at in this scenario..

I know Orlando sees Isaac as a pillar of the franchise, but I wonder if the #1 pick would be enough to entice you all to make that trade... For the Wolves, we have a rookie, Jaden McDaniels, who is that SF/PF hybrid and has been playing admirably at the 4. To be honest, Wolves fans are drooling over this kid and the prospect of having McDaniels play next Isaac would really help our offensive-oriented players in KAT and D'Lo
I doubt they trade Isaac. Assuming we get the Bulls pick this year, they'd probably offer both picks for the number 1 overall.

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#254 » by Ducklett » Mon May 3, 2021 11:00 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:Hey, hate to be that guy who infiltrates another fanbase's trade board, but wanted to gauge where your temperature would be at in this scenario..

I am confused. The Magic trade Isaac and 7 for 1?
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#255 » by basketballRob » Mon May 3, 2021 11:03 pm

If Minnesota got the 1st overall pick, Mobley would probably be the best choice for them

TaylorTag
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#256 » by TaylorTag » Mon May 3, 2021 11:18 pm

Ducklett wrote:

Nope. Orlando keeps #7. Wolves would only be getting Isaac in return (that's how highly I value him -- and I am sure you all do too)
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#257 » by RookieStar » Mon May 3, 2021 11:26 pm

MPLSwolves wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

Nope. Orlando keeps #7. Wolves would only be getting Isaac in return (that's how highly I value him -- and I am sure you all do too)

So in this trade, you mean we get MIN # 1, ORL #7 and CHI #whatever? All lotto? That's interesting..
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#258 » by Ducklett » Mon May 3, 2021 11:38 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MPLSwolves wrote:
Ducklett wrote:

So in this trade, you mean we get MIN # 1, ORL #7 and CHI #whatever? All lotto? That's interesting..

If we keep the CHI pick I would trade Isaac for a top 3 pick I think.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#259 » by basketballRob » Tue May 4, 2021 11:51 am

What Jaden Springer did at his age is pretty impressive. I believe him and Kuminga are the youngest players in the draft. Kuminga didn't put up big stats, but his physique at that age is pretty impressive. By the time he's 21 he might be dominating the league.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,095

Post#260 » by tiderulz » Tue May 4, 2021 1:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:What Jaden Springer did at his age is pretty impressive. I believe him and Kuminga are the youngest players in the draft. Kuminga didn't put up big stats, but his physique at that age is pretty impressive. By the time he's 21 he might be dominating the league.

not trying to be rude or attack, legit question. What did Springer do that is impressive? 12 ppg in SEC, thats decent but not outstanding. 43% on is good, but he didnt even take 2 attempts a game. Trying to learn more about the players that might be available with the Bulls pick, just not seeing what is so super about Springer.

Return to Orlando Magic