Image ImageImage Image

Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#181 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 1, 2021 3:59 pm

RagingBull316 wrote:
Wingy wrote:Saw Zach on sideline. No like.

Seems like they’ll classic Reinsdorf & co. Bulls, and bring him back only to lower our odds for a playin chance we can’t reach anyway.

In classic Reinsdorf & Co. fasion, they will keep him out as long as they can so they can use the same line they use every offseason. "Our guys didn't get a chance to play together much, we will be much better next year once we are healthy" and they will use that line to justify not making anymore big moves this offseason.
Yep. The whole lottery thing is pipe dream fantasy anyway. The Bulls are highly unlikely to get a first round pick. That's the reality.

They need Zach on the court to get familiar with playing alongside Vuc, and see who of the other players can be beneficial pieces on the court with those 2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Re: Woj: Zach LaVine is expected to miss several games, healthy & safety protocol 

Post#182 » by Am2626 » Sat May 1, 2021 4:12 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
RagingBull316 wrote:

Seems like they’ll classic Reinsdorf & co. Bulls, and bring him back only to lower our odds for a playin chance we can’t reach anyway.

In classic Reinsdorf & Co. fasion, they will keep him out as long as they can so they can use the same line they use every offseason. "Our guys didn't get a chance to play together much, we will be much better next year once we are healthy" and they will use that line to justify not making anymore big moves this offseason.
Yep. The whole lottery thing is pipe dream fantasy anyway. The Bulls are highly unlikely to get a first round pick. That's the reality.

They need Zach on the court to get familiar with playing alongside Vuc, and see who of the other players can be beneficial pieces on the court with those 2.

The Bulls are currently tied with 2 other teams for 7,8,9. In the 2 years since the lottery odds have changed, the 7 spot has moved up to the top 4 in both years and the 8 and 9 spot once in each year. That is 4 out of 6 spots in that range that have moved up in that range. 2 out of 3 teams moving up on that range is not highly unlikely. People don’t realize that when every team has relatively equally bad odds it makes everything wide open.

2019 Draft:

Pelicans move up from 7 to 1 and take Zion
Grizzlies move up from 9 to 2 and take Ja Morant

2020 Draft

Hornets move up from 8 to 3 and take LaMelo Ball
Bulls move up from 7 to 4 and take Patrick Williams

The irony is that the Bulls ended up moving up in the wrong draft. Patrick Williams while still a potentially good pick is not in the same category as the other 3 guys. This year would be different though. The Bulls need this pick!

Also rushing Zach back does nothing. There are going to be moves made to this roster over the summer and when the team gets a training camp together next year that will provide enough opportunity to build chemistry and get the team on the same page.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,373

Post#183 » by DuckIII » Sat May 1, 2021 4:54 pm

RagingBull316 wrote:

That was the old way of justifying a poor season (and was often factually accurate) and to cover for Pax’s belief in remaining flexible with assets. That’s how he GM’d, which frequently meant not making mediocre moves.

AK is a whole different animal. He’s obviously aggressively trying to shake this roster up and is not satisfied with multiple pieces. He’ll be looking to make moves.

Those moves are likely to suck though because: (a) the free agent class sucks; (b) we don’t have ready capspace anyway; (c) the “trade for Vuc and show we can contend so disgruntled stars will put us on their trade list” blew up in his face already; and (d) he already blew his load and we have pretty lousy trade assets left.

So yeah, this summer will likely blow chunks. But for a whole new and potentially far more crippling reason.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#184 » by DuckIII » Sat May 1, 2021 4:59 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
RagingBull316 wrote:

25-30% is not a pipe dream. It’s so much more important than Zach returning for 10 games that it’s impossible to overstate.

Regardless, I’m sure Zach will be back. He’s not going to healthy scratch himself and the team won’t force a healthy player to sit who is wanting to play.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#185 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 1, 2021 5:43 pm

Am2626 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
RagingBull316 wrote:

The Bulls are currently tied with 2 other teams for 7,8,9. In the 2 years since the lottery odds have changed, the 7 spot has moved up to the top 4 in both years and the 8 and 9 spot once in each year. That is 4 out of 6 spots in that range that have moved up in that range. 2 out of 3 teams moving up on that range is not highly unlikely. People don’t realize that when every team has relatively equally bad odds it makes everything wide open.

2019 Draft:

2020 Draft

The irony is that the Bulls ended up moving up in the wrong draft. Patrick Williams while still a potentially good pick is not in the same category as the other 3 guys. This year would be different though. The Bulls need this pick!

Also rushing Zach back does nothing. There are going to be moves made to this roster over the summer and when the team gets a training camp together next year that will provide enough opportunity to build chemistry and get the team on the same page.
Odds are odds. Math is math. If the season ended today the Bulls would have a 74 percent chance of not getting a top 4 pick and a 94% chance of not getting the number 1 pick, which is the only one that gives a near guarantee of a game changing player.

This team has work to do on the court. They just traded for a top Center. They need to see their 2 best players play together.

Also. What is this "rushing" Zach back thing you mention. At least according to Zach, it doesn't appear he has even been sick.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#186 » by Stratmaster » Sat May 1, 2021 5:47 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
RagingBull316 wrote:

25-30% is not a pipe dream. It’s so much more important than Zach returning for 10 games that it’s impossible to overstate.

Regardless, I’m sure Zach will be back. He’s not going to healthy scratch himself and the team won’t force a healthy player to sit who is wanting to play.
This idea that every team in the league who isn't making the playoffs should try to lose is ruining the game. How badly it is ruining it is impossible to overstate.

Sorry, but I will never buy in.

Am2626
Analyst

Post#187 » by Am2626 » Sat May 1, 2021 6:32 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Yep. The whole lottery thing is pipe dream fantasy anyway. The Bulls are highly unlikely to get a first round pick. That's the reality.

This idea that every team in the league who isn't making the playoffs should try to lose is ruining the game. How badly it is ruining it is impossible to overstate.

I really don’t think we have anything to worry about the Bulls purposely trying to lose games. I’m sure they will compete. What is being stated is getting a top 4 pick is much more valuable then building team chemistry at this point in the season. It really doesn’t matter. The remaining schedule is brutal and the Bulls are probably going to lose most of these games anyways.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#188 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sat May 1, 2021 6:48 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
RagingBull316 wrote:

Maybe this is just what I tell myself to sleep at night, but I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that Zach is a net negative when he comes back. 3+ weeks without game conditioning is a long time.

That said, he gives this team a puncher's chance anytime he's on the floor, and I'd much rather see him sit and avoid the variance he brings to a team that might otherwise go quietly.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by DuckIII » Sat May 1, 2021 8:19 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Yep. The whole lottery thing is pipe dream fantasy anyway. The Bulls are highly unlikely to get a first round pick. That's the reality.

I’m not talking about losing on purpose. I’m comparing the two outcomes and stating one is clearly vastly superior.

And take a look around the NBA. The anti-tanking measures have improved the situation dramatically.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#190 » by Am2626 » Sat May 1, 2021 8:23 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Am2626 wrote:

2019 Draft:

2020 Draft

Odds are odds. Math is math. If the season ended today the Bulls would have a 74 percent chance of not getting a top 4 pick and a 94% chance of not getting the number 1 pick, which is the only one that gives a near guarantee of a game changing player.

This team has work to do on the court. They just traded for a top Center. They need to see their 2 best players play together.

Also. What is this "rushing" Zach back thing you mention. At least according to Zach, it doesn't appear he has even been sick.

In my opinion the top 5 guys in this draft all have the potential to be game changing players. Getting a top 4 pick is just as valuable as getting the number 1 overall pick. While a 26% chance doesn’t seem like good odds every team in the Bulls draft range has those same low odds to varying degrees. That makes getting a top 4 pick a wide open race amongst all of the top 10 lottery teams. History has shown that there will be teams in the Bulls range that will jump up and there will be teams that are bottom 3 record wise that will fall. The last 2 drafts prove that. Of course there is no guarantees here but the Bulls have as good a chance as any team in the lottery. I personally am hoping the Bulls lose every game from this point in the season which increases their odds. Rooting against them sucks so it will finally be nice to be able to root for them to win again next year. This season cannot end any more quickly!
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,188

Post#191 » by kodo » Sun May 2, 2021 11:31 pm

Hugi Mancura wrote:So if he was with team it means he doesn't have covid anymore. Maybe he just have some longer lasting symptoms. Covid does attack the lungs, so maybe he has some breathing problems. And at this point it is quite pointless to bring him in unless he is fully healthy.

That can't be the case, because Tatum is and has been playing and he still has lung problems. He still uses an inhaler.

The fact that he's on the sidelines really makes everyone wonder what the NBA protocols are, if someone is healthy enough to be that close to other people & the team.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,124

Post#192 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Mon May 3, 2021 9:23 pm

kodo wrote:
Hugi Mancura wrote:So if he was with team it means he doesn't have covid anymore. Maybe he just have some longer lasting symptoms. Covid does attack the lungs, so maybe he has some breathing problems. And at this point it is quite pointless to bring him in unless he is fully healthy.

That can't be the case, because Tatum is and has been playing and he still has lung problems. He still uses an inhaler.

The fact that he's on the sidelines really makes everyone wonder what the NBA protocols are, if someone is healthy enough to be that close to other people & the team.

KC and Amin both mentioned that Zach tested negative twice but still had to undergo some kind of cardiac screening and participate in practice. So ostensibly Zach is covid free but the league is cautious about the health of his lungs post recovery
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,620

Post#193 » by dougthonus » Mon May 3, 2021 9:52 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
kodo wrote:

KC and Amin both mentioned that Zach tested negative twice but still had to undergo some kind of cardiac screening and participate in practice. So ostensibly Zach is covid free but the league is cautious about the health of his lungs post recovery

Seems like Zach is out of the protocol and could participate under league rules. So this seems like either the Bulls are cautious or Zach is covid free but still having a hard time.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
OrangeBlueSkies
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#194 » by OrangeBlueSkies » Mon May 3, 2021 9:59 pm

dougthonus wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
kodo wrote:

Seems like Zach is out of the protocol and could participate under league rules. So this seems like either the Bulls are cautious or Zach is covid free but still having a hard time.

Any word on if Vuc plays tonight?
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#195 » by Stratmaster » Mon May 3, 2021 11:23 pm

dougthonus wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
kodo wrote:

Well... Zach says Zach is fine.

But who knows...

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Post#197 » by Wingy » Wed May 5, 2021 4:40 pm

May the anti-tanking gods smile up on us.

Read on Twitter
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,843

Post#198 » by meekrab » Wed May 5, 2021 5:48 pm

Is Vuc's thigh feeling better? Bring on Game 4 of the LaVucevine era!
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,098

Post#199 » by cool007 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:56 pm

Zach is back tomorrow but hopefully Billy manages the minutes and rotations well - enough so that we can lose the game and stay below Raptors and Kings for the 7th worst record.

We can not win any meaningless games right now with only 7 left and do our best to get that top 4 pick. If we don't move up and give Orlando the 7th pick, so be it. But atleast try.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#200 » by Am2626 » Wed May 5, 2021 6:00 pm

meekrab wrote:Is Vuc's thigh feeling better? Bring on Game 4 of the LaVucevine era!

Nah. Both Sacramento and the Raptors are right on the Bulls tail for the 7 slot. With only 7 games left and 4 back of the playin tournament losses are much more valuable than wins at this point. Keep Vuc out as long as is possible.

Return to Chicago Bulls