Image ImageImage Image

Pick retention tracking thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,871

Re: Pick retention tracking thread 

Post#41 » by Wingy » Mon May 3, 2021 1:53 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:I think the schedule is brutal enough so that we can easily go 1-7 over the last 8 games. Realistically the only team we should beat even without Vooch or Zach is Detroit. Having said that we are now 1 game above Toronto in the tank standings. In order to keep our 7th place finish losing those 7 games should be enough. I doubt we catch the Cavs as they are 5 games above us for 6th place and their schedule is a tick easier than ours but I don´t expect them to reel off 8 wins in a row, practially impossible.
So if we finish say at 27-45 or maybe 28-44 we will have at least a 32.0% chance at the top 4 and 7% chance for the top pick. I can live with that.

It's technically only a 1/2 game, but still, wins by the other teams are precious. We're in our optimal tank position right now at 7th worst. It also appears that Toronto isn't tanking (at least not very hard) having won 6 out of 10, and those losses coming vs. top-flight competition (all on the road @ NY, Utah, Denver, NJ Nets), and Lowry back playing heavy minutes.

Bout to be big Kings & Raps fan. Figure we'll finish below the Raptors, but above the Kings. Fox is in the protocol, and Haliburton's injury last night looks like they should sit him quite awhile to be cautious.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,331

Post#42 » by pipfan » Mon May 3, 2021 7:15 pm

So, it looks like we will fall be at #7 (no worse than 9th). Let's all thing positive lottery thoughts.

If Orl gets a #8 pick from us-oh well, it's a 5 man draft. We have plenty of young guys to develop. The goal should be .500 ball next year
Bulliever2020
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,905

Post#43 » by Bulliever2020 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:35 pm

May 13th 2021 - Bulls vs Raptors

THE 32% BOWL
Andi Obst
General Manager
And1: 6,504

Post#44 » by Andi Obst » Mon May 3, 2021 8:05 pm

Bulliever2020 wrote:May 13th 2021 - Bulls vs Raptors

THE 32% BOWL

Get your fake injury bingo cards ready!
...formerly known as Little Nathan.

jc23 wrote:the fate of humanity rides on Chicago winning this game.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#45 » by Wingy » Tue May 4, 2021 12:18 am

pipfan wrote:So, it looks like we will fall be at #7 (no worse than 9th). Let's all thing positive lottery thoughts.

If Orl gets a #8 pick from us-oh well, it's a 5 man draft. We have plenty of young guys to develop. The goal should be .500 ball next year

The projected top 5 picks won’t all be All Stars. I’ll change my handle to Gar’s Gonads if they are.

Orlando will probably have a shot at a few of the best players from the draft with a #8...picking the right one is the Magic trick (pun definitely intended).

Regardless, I hope the FO pulls the strings on the right tank moves moving fwd.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#46 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 4, 2021 2:23 am

White, Williams and Lauri a combined 6-22 while playing some of the most listless basketball I have ever seen.

Old men at the YMCA expend more energy than those 3.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
Wingy
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wingy » Tue May 4, 2021 3:29 am

Clutch loss. Thanks Denzel. Thanks for canceling out your good plays with your inevitable crap plays.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#48 » by Am2626 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:12 am

pipfan wrote:So, it looks like we will fall be at #7 (no worse than 9th). Let's all thing positive lottery thoughts.

The goal should be more higher than .500 ball. This team should be a 4-5 playoff seed next year and 10-15 games over .500. Going into a new season with a training camp should make a big difference. Just need to get the right FA in the summer and land a top 4 pick.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wingy » Tue May 4, 2021 7:51 pm

Zach’s coming back end of this week I bet. Cleared the protocols. Per Trib article, sounds like he could’ve technically played on Monday.

Edit: UGH!!! Miles Bridges out with the rona protocol.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#50 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 4, 2021 10:18 pm

Wingy wrote:

The projected top 5 picks won’t all be All Stars. I’ll change my handle to Gar’s Gonads if they are.

Orlando will probably have a shot at a few of the best players from the draft with a #8...picking the right one is the Magic trick (pun definitely intended).

Regardless, I hope the FO pulls the strings on the right tank moves moving fwd.

There has never been a top 5 all all-star draft so I would say that is a pretty safe assumption.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#51 » by Wingy » Wed May 5, 2021 12:08 am

Michael Jackson wrote:There has never been a top 5 all all-star draft so I would say that is a pretty safe assumption.

Yeah, I generally like it around here. I wouldn’t volunteer myself to be dubbed “Gar’s Gonads” if I thought it had a good chance of happening. :lol:
Wingy
RealGM

Post#52 » by Wingy » Wed May 5, 2021 10:05 am

Haliburton out for the year. Clutch tank win by OKC last night losing to the Kings though. Hopefully it’s enough for the Kings to finish above us (2 games up), and they match our expected dumb anti-tank move by bringing back their own covid star. Thank lottery ball goodness for them getting Delon Wright to keep their PG position afloat right now.

With Zach/Vuc probably both returning, hoping chemistry is still messed up for the moment. I see possible wins coming up vs Charlotte, and Detroit. Maybe Boston...very inconsistent team...but hopefully Tatum wants to show up hard after last time.Seems like we might have a chance to luck out with Mil/Nets fighting for HCA over each other.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,134

Post#53 » by Michael Jackson » Wed May 5, 2021 1:25 pm

What are the current odd on the Bulls finishing in the unlucky 7 spot again?
Wingy
RealGM

Post#54 » by Wingy » Wed May 5, 2021 1:39 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:What are the current odd on the Bulls finishing in the unlucky 7 spot again?

FWIW, 538 projects we'll finish 7th, 1 game behind Toronto, and 2 games behind Sacramento. One positive I missed is that beyond having a 2 game lead, Sacto gets OKC two more times, so would be surprised if they can't get at least 1 win there.
robert76
Junior
And1: 232

Post#55 » by robert76 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:44 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:What are the current odd on the Bulls finishing in the unlucky 7 spot again?

It's like "Groundhog Day" with this team. No matter what they try different each year, at the end of the season they wake up in the same seventh spot, listening to the same Sonny & Cher song.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#56 » by Am2626 » Wed May 5, 2021 6:08 pm

robert76 wrote:

It's like "Groundhog Day" with this team. No matter what they try different each year, at the end of the season they wake up in the same seventh spot, listening to the same Sonny & Cher song.

The 7 spot has moved into the top 4 the last 2 years. I would say that spot has been lucky.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#57 » by dougthonus » Wed May 5, 2021 9:04 pm

Am2626 wrote:The goal should be more higher than .500 ball. This team should be a 4-5 playoff seed next year and 10-15 games over .500. Going into a new season with a training camp should make a big difference. Just need to get the right FA in the summer and land a top 4 pick.

If we land a top 4 pick and get a stud with it, then this projection might be reasonable. If not, it's pretty likely to be ugly next year too IMO.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Am2626
Analyst

Post#58 » by Am2626 » Thu May 6, 2021 6:47 am

dougthonus wrote:
Am2626 wrote:The goal should be more higher than .500 ball. This team should be a 4-5 playoff seed next year and 10-15 games over .500. Going into a new season with a training camp should make a big difference. Just need to get the right FA in the summer and land a top 4 pick.

If we land a top 4 pick and get a stud with it, then this projection might be reasonable. If not, it's pretty likely to be ugly next year too IMO.

I think you also have to factor in what has happened this season with COVID and all of the anomalies of this season. It is very hard to build team chemistry and continuity in a season like this especially mid season when half your team’s roster turns over. I look at a team like the Wizards and how bad they looked at the start of this year and how good they look now. They are 13-4 over the last 17 games and just got edged out by the Milwaukee Bucks tonight. That team has had 1 bad loss in those 17 games and could have easily gone 16-1 in that stretch. The Westbrook and Beal tandem is finally paying off. I don’t see why Zach and Vuc can have a similar one / two punch next year.
Wingy
RealGM

Post#59 » by Wingy » Thu May 6, 2021 11:21 am

Sacramento doing their part! Marvin Bagley playing big w/o Fox/Hali. 3 more wins than the Bulls now + two vs OKC to go. Anything’s possible, but you’d think they’ve done enough to remain above us now, or tie at worst.

Probably comes down to us vs the Raps now for the ~ 1/3 chance. Obviously the odds are against us, but I just enjoy tracking threads.

I got a dream tankathon spin yesterday. We got 1, followed by Sac, Tor, Indy. An eff you to all the most blatant tankers. Think Silver would like that unlikely outcome too. Flattened odds do their job, and in theory keep help the conference balance of power that’s been out of whack since as long as I can remember.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#60 » by dougthonus » Thu May 6, 2021 3:14 pm

Am2626 wrote:I think you also have to factor in what has happened this season with COVID and all of the anomalies of this season. It is very hard to build team chemistry and continuity in a season like this especially mid season when half your team’s roster turns over. I look at a team like the Wizards and how bad they looked at the start of this year and how good they look now. They are 13-4 over the last 17 games and just got edged out by the Milwaukee Bucks tonight. That team has had 1 bad loss in those 17 games and could have easily gone 16-1 in that stretch. The Westbrook and Beal tandem is finally paying off. I don’t see why Zach and Vuc can have a similar one / two punch next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if these guys can muster 40ish wins together and be somewhere between play-in and 6th seed without moving up. However, without moving up, I think there's very little room to think the ceiling will be much more than that or that we will be able to build much past that in the future.

Granted, anything can happen, but it would take something heavily unlikely to happen to move past that IMO.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls