Chris Paul - Stay or Go?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

What will happen to Paul this offseason

accept PO for 44M
48%
sign an extension and stay w/ Suns
40%
decline PO and sign a 2 yr (or more) contract in FA
12%

Total votes: 42

Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,201

Chris Paul - Stay or Go? 

Post#1 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 2, 2021 2:46 am

What do people think will happen to Paul this offseason? He led phoenix to an amazing turnaround, and only has 1 year left. In my mind now is the best time to seek an extension or a longer term deal in FA with so few other marquee FAs. Would Sarver be willing to pony up w/ Ayton coming up for extension after next year?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

Re: Chris Paul - Stay or Go? 

Post#2 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:09 am

I think he's in a unique situation here. He has the ability to choose any team in the league that would want to move matching salary and an asset for him.

He can tell Suns FO that he wants to be traded to team X or he will opt out and they lose him for nothing (which they can't afford to do with where they are at).

Alternatively he could want a big pay day to stay a Sun.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 2, 2021 3:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:I think he's in a unique situation here. He has the ability to choose any team in the league that would want to move matching salary and an asset for him.

He can tell Suns FO that he wants to be traded to team X or he will opt out and they lose him for nothing (which they can't afford to do with where they are at).

I suspect sarver wont pay for an extension. Hes not known for dipping into the tax.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 20,782

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:46 am

He should absolutely opt in. Take the 44m, then figure it out the year after. Future isn’t promised.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:50 am

Godaddycurse wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:I think he's in a unique situation here. He has the ability to choose any team in the league that would want to move matching salary and an asset for him.

I suspect sarver wont pay for an extension. Hes not known for dipping into the tax.

Hypothetically, CP3 could opt in and be traded. Suns can take 35.3m salary back from an over the cap team, which would enable them to take on a TaxMLE and BAE while staying under hard cap.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,335

Post#6 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 2, 2021 3:57 am

An opt-in and one year extension would be the obvious solution for both Paul and the Suns but its complicated by Ayton and Bridges needing new deals that will start in 22-23. So yeah a real danger the Suns lose him this off-season if the Knicks are willing to gte 2 years and I imagine they will be.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#7 » by Dn4sty » Sun May 2, 2021 4:08 am

Thunder having the Suns pick also adds a bit of intrigue to this discussion. Here are the protections beginning in 2022

2022 (1-12 protected)
2023 (1-10 protected)
2024 (1-8 protected)
2025 (unprotected)
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#8 » by andyhop » Tue May 4, 2021 2:30 am

If he can get a longer term deal at good money from someone then he should obviously do that from a financial point of view.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#9 » by Slim Charless » Tue May 4, 2021 6:21 am

Texas Chuck wrote:An opt-in and one year extension would be the obvious solution for both Paul and the Suns but its complicated by Ayton and Bridges needing new deals that will start in 22-23. So yeah a real danger the Suns lose him this off-season if the Knicks are willing to gte 2 years and I imagine they will be.

He chose Phoenix for a reason. It's about an flight from his family in LA. He also just put up 1 of the better years he's had. He's not going anywhere. Least of all the entire other side of the country to play for a hardass like Thibs-not when he has Monty essentially using him like a co-coach out on the court.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,623

Post#10 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue May 4, 2021 7:42 am

Slim Charless wrote:
He chose Phoenix for a reason. It's about an flight from his family in LA. He also just put up 1 of the better years he's had. He's not going anywhere. Least of all the entire other side of the country to play for a hardass like Thibs-not when he has Monty essentially using him like a co-coach out on the court.

Lol, chose? He was traded there.

I think he stays only if the Suns win it all. Otherwise, he is going to choose where he spends his last few years in the NBA.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#11 » by Slim Charless » Tue May 4, 2021 8:26 am

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I think he stays only if the Suns win it all. Otherwise, he is going to choose where he spends his last few years in the NBA.

Do some research before you write dumb stuff. Philly tried to get him, he refused to play there. He wanted PHX, and OKC, because CP3 is a legend and was a complete professional that whole year, worked it out with JJ. Like I said he chose Phoenix.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:50 am

Question, does CP3 have to opt out before fielding other offers? Or can he be given offers elsewhere before opting out?
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#13 » by youngcrev » Tue May 4, 2021 12:33 pm

I imagine he takes his money for the year, and then finishes his career in LA or something.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Tue May 4, 2021 2:03 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:He should absolutely opt in. Take the 44m, then figure it out the year after. Future isn’t promised.

My thinking is just the opposite. Since he's playing so well he can probably get a big, multi-year deal. If he waits until the end of next season there's the danger he's been injured, declined, etc. before hitting the market.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#15 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 2:08 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Do some research before you write dumb stuff. Philly tried to get him, he refused to play there. He wanted PHX, and OKC, because CP3 is a legend and was a complete professional that whole year, worked it out with JJ. Like I said he chose Phoenix.

do you think sarver will go into the tax to retain him, or keep him for next year only (ie ask him to accept PO)
Slim Charless
General Manager

Post#16 » by Slim Charless » Tue May 4, 2021 4:37 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

do you think sarver will go into the tax to retain him, or keep him for next year only (ie ask him to accept PO)

Sarver, even as dumb and cheap as he is, isn't stupid enough to let our MVP candidate, 1st/2nd team all NBA future HOF point leave for nothing. I don't see it happening. He was 1 of the most hated and laughed at owners in sports. He finally has a winning team in 10+yrs and he's gonna cheap out now?

The choice will be Paul's. I think he helps the team and opts out, signs an extension (3/100 or so) and gets the team alittle more room. Ayton and Bridges resign and they go from there.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#17 » by Crives » Tue May 4, 2021 5:25 pm

Only place CP3 considers is LA.... but LA doesn’t have the cap space. CP3 wants to stay close to his family. He is the vet leader of a top team in phx with young talent that’s only getting better, and a great coaching staff / front office.
Only three options worth discussing.
1. Decline option, sign 2 or 3 year contract with phx
2. Sign 1 or 2 year contract extension
3. Play out final year.

My guess is CP3 signs a big 1 year extension in the 30m-35m range.

Return to Trades and Transactions