Post#1 » by ducler » Mon May 3, 2021 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Re: Game 64: MEM vs NYK 

Post#2 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:54 am

Yikes. Gotta be better and break out of this funk we are in.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#3 » by SD2042 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:36 am

This team keep letting these games get away from them. At this rate, they look to be a play in candidate at this point.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#4 » by E S V L » Tue May 4, 2021 1:59 pm

Constant complaining about officiating has never been a part of the Grizz identity. I hope it will stay going forward.

The Knicks are just a better team for now. It`s a fantastic transformation. Randle is an absolute beast.

I wish Jenkins could have an opportunity to stick to the best rotation instead of caring first about those who is struggling.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#5 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 2:27 pm

E S V L wrote:Constant complaining about officiating has never been a part of the Grizz identity. I hope it will stay going forward.

To be fair the team is young & the league is actively trying to get other teams into their playoff spot. Like the + 22 FT's Portland received in the play in last year.

I agree with you in that Jenkins looked like a sore loser last night, topped off with Tibbs smiling at his ejection. He had plenty of opportunities during the game to complain.. Randle's half time 3 for example was a forearm clear out on Anderson.. did Jenkins contest?? Then don't complain when you lose..

The lack of chemistry by trying to integrate Winslow & Jaren, hit a tough defensive squad which led to a high TO rate which they were punished for.. It's the real difference in this game.. Knick's play with a tight rotation & consistency, Jenkins is playing with a loose rotation & trying to integrate & it showed.. Loved those post screens Tibbs used to allow Rose a clear lane to the basket.

Sometimes you have to tip your hat, Randle played a great game. Anderson couldn't guard him & there was no real adjustment on that fact. In short, Tibbs got the best of Jenkins.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#6 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 2:32 pm

4th Q Grizz were making a run to pull within 5.. at that point they got multiple stops only for Brooks to miss his 3pt attempts among others. Then they manage to get another stop for an odd man fast break & with a clear lane to the basket...

Brooks pulls up for a 3 & bricks another... turning down the clear path to the basket... with ample time on the clock, down 5.

I 'd say Brooks but it was a theme last night... Memphis need to play smarter.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#7 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 2:39 pm

I know the results look Grimm but in a 7 game series with both teams playing tight rotation in sync my money is on Memphis 9/10 times.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 2:44 pm

Tibbs deserves a lot of credit.. A little familiarity & experience in Rose mixed in with the youth talent & some consistency has given the Knicks an identity,

In their losing seasons, they've had talent.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#9 » by E S V L » Tue May 4, 2021 3:11 pm

Whole Truth wrote:The lack of chemistry by trying to integrate Winslow & Jaren, hit a tough defensive squad which led to a high TO rate which they were punished for.. It's the real difference in this game.. Knick's play with a tight rotation & consistency, Jenkins is playing with a loose rotation & trying to integrate & it showed..

Well said
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#10 » by VCfor3 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:20 pm

Whole Truth wrote:I know the results look Grimm but in a 7 game series with both teams playing tight rotation in sync my money is on Memphis 9/10 times.

Yeah. I think our guys would figure it out. We just are in a weird spot. Shortening the rotation honestly would probably solve some of the issues and let people get into a rhythm, but we have so many quality players it is tough. Like we said before, I'm not worried about us falling out of the play-in picture. But it would be nice to finish the season strong to have something to build on moving into the offseason.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#11 » by E S V L » Tue May 4, 2021 3:37 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I'm not worried about us falling out of the play-in picture.

I am rather worried. I see where we can be hurt: winning and development should be mutually inclusive objectives. Once they become conflicting, winning should be prioritized; otherwise, we are developing the players lagging behind to the detriment of those who are already ready to compete in PO. That`s what is going on now. The last thing on Earth I enjoy is seeing Ja whining like Lebron.
FK NFL
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 8:32 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:I'm not worried about us falling out of the play-in picture.

I am rather worried. I see where we can be hurt: winning and development should be mutually inclusive objectives. Once they become conflicting, winning should be prioritized; otherwise, we are developing the players lagging behind to the detriment of those who are already ready to compete in PO. That`s what is going on now. The last thing on Earth I enjoy is seeing Ja whining like Lebron.

Derozan playing for the only Canadian team with little US exposure had the same problem, Like Ja he'd be aggressive & take a lot of contact at the rim through 2-3 players with no whistle & he'd complain about it, not get back on D.

Things didn't change for him till he made & played for team USA, became more of a house hold name in the US.. it led to his first Allstar appearance & him becoming a FT magnet.

ESPN was hyping Zion even with JA winning ROY,,,, so it's no surprise he was & is averaging 3x Ja's FT rate.

Where NBA refs are concerned, NBA is a business = popularity contest = ratings & the hard fact is they're still hyping Zion/Pels with Memphis actually in the playoff mix, where's the hype for the youngest team & Morant ?.

Like you, I'd rather Ja play through their BS but I also understand his & the young teams frustration. 1st in paint pts, extremely aggressive team, bottom of the league in being rewarded for it.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Whole Truth » Tue May 4, 2021 8:47 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:I know the results look Grimm but in a 7 game series with both teams playing tight rotation in sync my money is on Memphis 9/10 times.

Yeah. I think our guys would figure it out. We just are in a weird spot. Shortening the rotation honestly would probably solve some of the issues and let people get into a rhythm, but we have so many quality players it is tough. Like we said before, I'm not worried about us falling out of the play-in picture. But it would be nice to finish the season strong to have something to build on moving into the offseason.

Unfortunately, like ESVL has said, development & shaking out the roster is taking priority but it's also building frustration which led to the outburst last night.

The question now is how the young team going to respond...

Are they going to continue to whine, cry or buckle down & play harder, do something about it.. Their response to this adversity will let us know if they're ready for the playoffs or not.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#14 » by VCfor3 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:16 am

Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Unfortunately, like ESVL has said, development & shaking out the roster is taking priority but it's also building frustration which led to the outburst last night.

The question now is how the young team going to respond...

Are they going to continue to whine, cry or buckle down & play harder, do something about it.. Their response to this adversity will let us know if they're ready for the playoffs or not.

Honestly I didn't like Jenkins' response last night. Tossed in a somewhat close game. Said we played hard in the postgame interview instead of calling us out which we need. We are playing like crap. Say so. Take responsibility in the process so as to not just put it all on the guys. Do something to acknowledge the situation.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Whole Truth » Wed May 5, 2021 2:38 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Yeah. I think our guys would figure it out. We just are in a weird spot. Shortening the rotation honestly would probably solve some of the issues and let people get into a rhythm, but we have so many quality players it is tough. Like we said before, I'm not worried about us falling out of the play-in picture. But it would be nice to finish the season strong to have something to build on moving into the offseason.

Though slim.. Memphis still had a chance when Jenkins got ejected, It basically iced the game. Then the wheels came off.

Jenkins being the leader of the team has to be more composed & calculating, His young team lost it, when he lost it. This was an emotional tech, not a calculated one.

Recent shots I've seen taken at Jenkins however, is uncalled for. He has the youngest team in the league #1 in several categories while trying to help the front office sift through it's depth issues. He has them atop the league in sharing the basketball & on the cusp of the playoffs in both seasons many had no expectations for Memphis among the key injuries suffered this season & last. Memphis fans need to keep in mind Jenkins is also a young coach still growing himself & he'll also get better but as of now, I don't think Memphis could have hired a better coach moving forward. Like the young team, he'll get better too. Criticism is normal, especially when people don't understand why things are being done but any hate towards Jenkins & what he has done, is crazy talk.

Back to your post, I don't think it was a general lack of effort. you don't close a 17pt lead without effort. The chemistry being off trying to integrate 2 players back from year long injuries along with a loose rotation against a tough defense forced them into some poor decision making & shot selection.

Play smarter, you don't have to play harder. Every possession taken care of, is one less defensive stop needed. The defensive Knick team only had 2 more possessions than Memphis, which means they won by 14 with offensive execution. They won because of unforced TO's, they won because of poor shot selection, they won because Memphis didn't overall value possession. Take my example above of Brooks when Memphis pulled a 17pt lead to 5, getting the stops need to erase that 5pt deficit, He bricks several shots some good takes but after missing several shots pulls up on an odd man break for a 3 trying to tie a 5pt game with time on the clock, when he had a clear lane to the basket & a sure 2, only to brick yet another 3pt attempt over the guaranteed bucket.

That poor decision from Brooks took Memphis from a potential 3pt game to Knicks scoring off his miss to make it 7, After Memphis gained the momentum to close that 17pt deficit that play shifted momentum. If there was little time on the clock, I'd understand the push but there was something like 4mins left when he decided to risk sure pts. A decision made worse because he had just bricked his last 3 attempts as mentioned..

Return to Memphis Grizzlies