Will the Lakers/Sixers/Heat regret not trading for Lowry?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Eagle4
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,909

Re: Will the Lakers/Sixers/Heat regret not trading for Lowry? 

Post#101 » by Eagle4 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:52 am

Eagle4 wrote:Will the heat regret not trading their 20 yr old prospect that showed signs of promise for a 35 year old vet that wouldn't put them over the top? I doubt it.

Some of you Raps fans are insufferable. Lowry "the greatest raptor ever, legend" blah blah but instead of wanting him to retire in a Raps jersey you get butthurt and some how feel so entitled to other teams trading their assets for guy who has <3 years left in the league(which aren't guaranteed to be as productive due to age and wear/tear). Truly delusional.

User has been warned. Baiting/attacking a fanbase. Everyone else who wants to turn this thread into a fanbase flame war, go find another board.
-js21
warned for saying SOME Raps fans are insufferable. There are insufferable fans in every fanbase including my own.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#102 » by GregOden » Tue May 4, 2021 6:56 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Eagle4 wrote:Will the heat regret not trading their 20 yr old prospect that showed signs of promise for a 35 year old vet that wouldn't put them over the top? I doubt it.

Some of you Raps fans are insufferable. Lowry "the greatest raptor ever, legend" blah blah but instead of wanting him to retire in a Raps jersey you get butthurt and some how feel so entitled to other teams trading their assets for guy who has <3 years left in the league(which aren't guaranteed to be as productive due to age and wear/tear). Truly delusional.

It says heat Philly n miami and u only focused on miami ?? Miami is the only one of the 3 that should be looking at the future while trying to contend now. Philly and definitely the Lakers should be trying to maximize their windows.

If THT and a pick was the holdup for a potential repeat for the Lakers then that could be looked as foolish

The problem for the Lakers is matching salary. Of course if its THT vs Lowry you do that swap right away. The problem is with Lowry's salary they would've also needed to gut most of their team to get Lowry. That means filling a bunch of roster spots with G leaguers for whoever you had to send out for 33 million. Guessing it was Shroder and Kuzma and and fillers...AND THT and a pick. You don't even have a team left at that point.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,130

Post#103 » by levon » Tue May 4, 2021 7:02 am

The Lakers offer with THT would be a massive overpay compared to the garbage competing offer (just Duncan Robinson?) And the Raps didn't value the package and Kyle's preference was Miami/Philly anyway. Good no trade.
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#104 » by ratul » Tue May 4, 2021 9:42 am

I am happy the raps didn't trade him. Raptors fans love Lowry and watching him torch the lakers on the road and take over the game just brought back so many amazing memories
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#105 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 4, 2021 12:09 pm

Eagle4 wrote:
HabsAndDubs wrote:

What’s this? Tyler Herro? If you’ve got a package in place to deal Herro + for Kyle Lowry, you personally drive Herro to the airport. Hell, I’d pack his bags for him and pay for his crib in Tampa. Miami as they are + Kyle Lowry probably wins the east.

Lowry heat aren't beating Nets stop it.

All all three guys play they won’t but I’m taking Lowry + Heat over the Nets with only two of their guys.
Shootit
Junior
And1: 633

Post#106 » by Shootit » Tue May 4, 2021 12:17 pm

I doubt it from a Miami perspective. The Raptors wanted too much IMO for a rental/getting forced to overpay him to keep him.

The Heat IMO weren't going to do too much this year with or without Lowry, unless he can play the 4/5 efficiently.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,535

Post#107 » by KGtabake » Tue May 4, 2021 12:33 pm

Ιf you love him and you consider him a team legend, you don't want to trade him
He wants to win, so you retool and you build a team to compete for a ring instantly. You don't go on a rebuild mode.
Imagine the warriors doing something similar.
Trade Curry because the team isn't so good now or because of injuries or whatever.
You don't do that.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#108 » by LloydFree » Tue May 4, 2021 12:47 pm

kuclas wrote:What is expiring 35 year old trade value (top 30 ish nba player) worth?

Any recent trades involving a 35 year old on last 2 months of his contract?

Depends on the player. If the player is Lebron James, the player is worth a lot. If it's Chris Paul, it's still pretty good. If it's Kyle Lowry... well, you see the return he got... Nothing.

Value is what you can command. Lowry is worth somewhere between nothing and very little.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,063

Post#109 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:48 pm

philly and the clippers for sure.
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#110 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:51 pm

LloydFree wrote:
kuclas wrote:What is expiring 35 year old trade value (top 30 ish nba player) worth?

Depends on the player. If the player is Lebron James, the player is worth a lot. If it's Chris Paul, it's still pretty good. If it's Kyle Lowry... well, you see the return he got... Nothing.

Value is what you can command. Lowry is worth somewhere between nothing and very little.

lowry didnt get traded because matching the salary would invlove the raptors taking things they dont want and teams giving up things they dont want to in order to get him. in the offseason, we can sign and trade him on a lower deal, get something in return, without having to take back a bunch of stuff we dont want.

The clippers would have had to gut their team to trade for him. in the offseason, they may just have to give up bev whos expiring, and whoever they draft in the first round, and a couple 2rps to make the salary work if the clippers want to give him a 20 million dollar deal.

Philly would have to give up green, who they need, and a bunch of stuff to get to the 25ish million dollar numbr they would need. My bet is he goes to philly, since the clippers dont have a 1rp to give up for lowry until 2027.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#111 » by LloydFree » Tue May 4, 2021 1:46 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

lowry didnt get traded because matching the salary would invlove the raptors taking things they dont want and teams giving up things they dont want to in order to get him. in the offseason, we can sign and trade him on a lower deal, get something in return, without having to take back a bunch of stuff we dont want.

The clippers would have had to gut their team to trade for him. in the offseason, they may just have to give up bev whos expiring, and whoever they draft in the first round, and a couple 2rps to make the salary work if the clippers want to give him a 20 million dollar deal.

Philly would have to give up green, who they need, and a bunch of stuff to get to the 25ish million dollar numbr they would need. My bet is he goes to philly, since the clippers dont have a 1rp to give up for lowry until 2027.

My bet is that the Raptors will get the same return for Lowry, in the off-season, that they received at the trade deadline. Nothing.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Lockdown504090
RealGM

Post#112 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:54 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Depends on the player. If the player is Lebron James, the player is worth a lot. If it's Chris Paul, it's still pretty good. If it's Kyle Lowry... well, you see the return he got... Nothing.

My bet is that the Raptors will get the same return for Lowry, in the off-season, that they received at the trade deadline. Nothing.

What makes you say that? and what team would he sign with? maybe the knicks, but I dont really see any other good options, and I think the knicks days of paying really old stars are over.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#113 » by LloydFree » Tue May 4, 2021 2:38 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:lowry didnt get traded because matching the salary would invlove the raptors taking things they dont want and teams giving up things they dont want to in order to get him. in the offseason, we can sign and trade him on a lower deal, get something in return, without having to take back a bunch of stuff we dont want.

What makes you say that? and what team would he sign with? maybe the knicks, but I dont really see any other good options, and I think the knicks days of paying really old stars are over.

Because he's a 35 year old UNRESTRICTED free agent.

He'll either sign with someone who has capspace burning a hole in their pockets, or he'll sign for the Mid-level, like every other non-Lebron James 35 year old, who's ever played or he'll re-sign with the Raptors. Nobody is trading anything for Kyle Lowry this off-season.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#114 » by Metallikid » Tue May 4, 2021 2:50 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:My bet is that the Raptors will get the same return for Lowry, in the off-season, that they received at the trade deadline. Nothing.

Because he's a 35 year old UNRESTRICTED free agent.

He'll either sign with someone who has capspace burning a hole in their pockets, or he'll sign for the Mid-level, like every other non-Lebron James 35 year old, who's ever played or he'll re-sign with the Raptors. Nobody is trading anything for Kyle Lowry this off-season.

You want to go pull the list of those teams up, bub?

As for your mid-level comment, Kyle made it very clear he is looking to get paid. He's not taking the MLE under any circumstances.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,818

Post#115 » by Tor_Raps » Tue May 4, 2021 3:16 pm

LloydFree wrote:

Come on man. PJ Tucker netted the Rockets a 1st rounder and also the right to remove restrictions of making it unprotected for another 1st rounder. You're telling me teams didn't want to pay slightly more for Lowry if they're serious about winning a ring this year?
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#116 » by Def Leppard » Tue May 4, 2021 3:18 pm

This.

Also the negotiations you have this year impact future negotiations. We seem to forget that.
Caped Crusader wrote:
Dominater wrote:The raptors will regret not getting something for him instead of just letting him walk for nothing
Nah. If he walks it's better than taking on the trash that was offered and handicapping us into negative assets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Sent from my SM-G981W using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#117 » by LakersSoul » Tue May 4, 2021 3:45 pm

Kreamy wrote:
socal74 wrote:Cmon Raps fan nobody in LA gives a **** about Lowry. Move on. Sounds more like yall regret not getting anything for him.

Good luck in the play-in.

Good luck with the bouncing balls.

Another player leaving without anything in return. Must be hard not pissing on Masai.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
ratul
General Manager
And1: 4,402

Post#118 » by ratul » Tue May 4, 2021 3:52 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
Kreamy wrote:
socal74 wrote:Cmon Raps fan nobody in LA gives a **** about Lowry. Move on. Sounds more like yall regret not getting anything for him.

Another player leaving without anything in return. Must be hard not pissing on Masai.

Lol remember Laker fans, our true enemy are the clippers.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,760

Post#119 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:57 pm

LakersSoul wrote:
Kreamy wrote:

Let's track who left with 'no return'.

Kawhi - we got our title. Sucks that he left.
Danny Green - Meh
Gasol - How's he doing on your team right now?
Ibaka - Having an 'okay' year.
Lowry - Yeah really missing paying Dennis Robinson 20 million a year.

The 'return' that these players were going to get was nominal.

Kawhi helped us with a title.
Green was never coming back since we had Norm and OG.
Gasol and Ibaka - We made the 2nd round and had hopes of a finals appearance again (if Siakam hadn't shat the bed).
Lowry - Thought we'd get an offer, but considering what was offered... meh.

Ibaka is really the only one that I think Masai made a mistake on.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,900

Post#120 » by kuclas » Tue May 4, 2021 3:57 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Come on man. PJ Tucker netted the Rockets a 1st rounder and also the right to remove restrictions of making it unprotected for another 1st rounder. You're telling me teams didn't want to pay slightly more for Lowry if they're serious about winning a ring this year?

PJ Tucker is still a useful player. A late first rounder is not much. What Toronto wanted was crazy for expiring. They played their cards and got nothing. At the end of the day, Lowry has a ring already, wasn't pushing for a trade. Toronto didn't want to help out on competing teams. So it became a standstill. Which Toronto is fine with.

If Lowry walks for nothing, so be it. If Toroto wants to resign him for 2/50 million he wants, I'm sure Lowry will be content to resign cause you can never pass up that type of guaranteed money.

Return to The General Board