[SAC-BOS-NOP-DET] Sacramento dumps salary

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,290

[SAC-BOS-NOP-DET] Sacramento dumps salary 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Sun May 2, 2021 12:50 am

Sacramento trades: Harrison Barnes, Buddy Heild, cash
Sacramento receives: Eric Bledsoe
Make salary go away to resign Holmes. Bledsoe is ung. the next season.

Boston trades: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith, 2021 BOS 1st (19)
Boston receives: Harrison Barnes, 2021 CLE 2nd (36)
Move down in the draft but get a useful player in return and open a roster spot for the MLE.

New Orleans trades: Eric Bledsoe, 2021 CLE 2nd (36), 2021 WAS 2nd (41)
New Orleans receives: Buddy Heild, 2021 BOS 1st (19)
Get a first round pick and a floor spacer who would be really useful for them.

Detroit trades: nada
Detroit receives: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith, 2021 WAS 2nd (41), cash
Get some prospects for cap space. Nesmith can shoot, who knows what Langford can do, and they get a free second. They can likely buy out Thompson and he can go to a contender.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
OscarH
Sophomore
And1: 31

Re: [SAC-BOS-NOP-DET] Sacramento dumps salary 

Post#2 » by OscarH » Sun May 2, 2021 1:03 am

What are Kings using this Capspace for? They don't need that much for Holmes. Maybe if they have a deal lined up for some RFA's Collins and Hart? otherwise seems like could try get something back for Barnes and dump Buddy in a smaller trade.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#3 » by sportfan6197 » Sun May 2, 2021 11:42 am

Celtics pass
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#4 » by hugepatsfan » Sun May 2, 2021 12:11 pm

Nesmith has been playing exceptionally well as a role player lately. Don’t want to be prisoner of the moment, but the tide is turning on him to where as of right now I don’t think they’d move a cost controlled guy like him for a pretty expensive Harrison Barnes when you take into account our luxury tax situation.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun May 2, 2021 12:54 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Nesmith has been playing exceptionally well as a role player lately. Don’t want to be prisoner of the moment, but the tide is turning on him to where as of right now I don’t think they’d move a cost controlled guy like him for a pretty expensive Harrison Barnes when you take into account our luxury tax situation.

He played well in the overtime game against the Spurs.

It’s almost like we (the trade forum at large) should not overreact to rookie’s who don’t explode right away? :dontknow: :lol:
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#6 » by chrbal » Sun May 2, 2021 1:45 pm

Detroit says yes and invokes “no take backs” rule
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#7 » by hugepatsfan » Sun May 2, 2021 3:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:Nesmith has been playing exceptionally well as a role player lately. Don’t want to be prisoner of the moment, but the tide is turning on him to where as of right now I don’t think they’d move a cost controlled guy like him for a pretty expensive Harrison Barnes when you take into account our luxury tax situation.

It’s almost like we (the trade forum at large) should not overreact to rookie’s who don’t explode right away? :dontknow: :lol:

Haha yeah, and especially on teams trying to compete that don’t have time for rookie mistakes and miscues.

At the same time, we also tend to overreact to small sample sizes so I don’t want to make him untouchable based on a great game amidst a good stretch. But I do think giving him up with 3 years left on his rookie deal along with another mid 1st, another lottery pick from a couple years ago, a PG with 3 years left on his rookie deal that’s been solid, and Thompson who’s played pretty well since the Theis trade defined roles better is a LOT to give up for Harrison Barnes, a good not great player who’s going to be extremely costly with tax implications.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#8 » by kalenclayton » Sun May 2, 2021 8:37 pm

If Boston is offering those players up for Barnes and a high 2nd at the draft, then the Kings will likely take that.

If the Kings really want to get off Buddy, then they will just cut out Detroit and do the rest of OPs trade. That haul still gives the Kings an extra approximately $6-8 million. If Holmes can’t be re-signed with approximately $16-18 million in cap, then the team has to be ok with him walking. I love Richaun. He’s my favorite player on the team (next to Hali), but even I’m not sure it’s wise to spend that kind of money on a center these days (unless he is a game changer defensively and/or can spread the floor). Richaun makes a big impact offensively and I believe he’s a top-15 center, but this team needs to be wise about spending moving forward. I’m slightly expecting him to sign something long term like $52-56 million over 4 years. The Kings should be able to do that by making a smaller move or something like I just proposed. They don’t need to move mountains.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#9 » by Maple Green » Sun May 2, 2021 11:48 pm

Why Not Barnes+Heild to Walker+TT+ Olejele?
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,573

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 3, 2021 3:35 pm

I see the value in dumping Buddy, but If Boston is still offering this package I accept and move on. While our GM wasn't a huge fan of that package at the deadline, I liked Nesmiths potential and wanted us to bite. We need to add talent more than we need to dump Buddy. Let him sulk off the bench, if his play improves then he can start again or get traded.

We could try to use Langford/2nd to move off Tristan and still be in a position to resign Holmes. I don't think it costs Langford/Nesmith/41 just to move 1 year of Tristan that seems ridiculously expensive for a decent but overpaid backup big.

Holmes
Bagley
Nesmith
Hali/Buddy
Fox/Wright

Add in the Kings and Celtics 1st.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#11 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I've included him in trades as having mid-first value all year, I like him a lot, I think he will be a really nice role player. The trade maybe needs a bit of balancing, but the overall idea is just to allow Kings to reset the books a bit. I think they need to do that, and assess their young pieces under a real coach - hire David Venterpool, Becky Hammond, Adrian Griffin, or someoneof that ilk.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 3, 2021 4:22 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I've included him in trades as having mid-first value all year, I like him a lot, I think he will be a really nice role player. The trade maybe needs a bit of balancing, but the overall idea is just to allow Kings to reset the books a bit. I think they need to do that, and assess their young pieces under a real coach - hire David Venterpool, Becky Hammond, Adrian Griffin, or someoneof that ilk.

Oh, I wasn’t thinking of you, or any one poster at large. I was speaking more toward the general mindset this season where we’ve seen guys like him and Romeo (as well as other teams young guys) just thrown in deals or treated as mere filler.

Not at all thinking of you.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#13 » by kalenclayton » Mon May 3, 2021 4:23 pm

Maple Green wrote:Why Not Barnes+Heild to Walker+TT+ Olejele?

Not sure if you’ve watched the Kings play this season, but they are a very, very bad defensive team. Bringing in Walker exacerbates that issue. On top of that, he plays the same position the Kings are strongest at (although Hali and Fox can both play the 2). It doesn’t make sense from an on-court or team-building perspective.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,067

Post#14 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 3, 2021 4:39 pm

This seems really bad for Boston. Thompson is useful and not that expensive. Then they toss a FRP and two recent firsts? Harrison Barnes aint all that.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:57 pm

Laimbeer wrote:This seems really bad for Boston. Thompson is useful and not that expensive. Then they toss a FRP and two recent firsts? Harrison Barnes aint all that.

I see it as:
1. Moving down from 18 to 36 to move Thompson
2. Trading Nesmith (1st round value) + Langford (2nd round value?) for Barnes

JColl
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 3, 2021 6:52 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:This seems really bad for Boston. Thompson is useful and not that expensive. Then they toss a FRP and two recent firsts? Harrison Barnes aint all that.

I see it as:
1. Moving down from 18 to 36 to move Thompson
2. Trading Nesmith (1st round value) + Langford (2nd round value?) for Barnes

I think the weird part here is that 1 and 2 can’t really be separated. Tristan isn’t moved into space. He’s used to match salaries with Barnes. This is where I think that the value of either Romeo or Nesmith should be removed and salary filled with Edwards, or whatnot.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Post#17 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:48 am

This is way too good for the Pistons, like cut out quickly too good.

Also, I'm not sure that a Bledsoe/Buddy swap returns draft capital to the Pels. For that matter, I'm not sure why a team with the number of late picks and prospects on the roster already wouldn't part with a late first to dump Bledsoe and save the cap space altogether.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
enzino
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#18 » by enzino » Tue May 4, 2021 7:10 am

babyjax13 wrote:Sacramento trades: Harrison Barnes, Buddy Heild, cash
Sacramento receives: Eric Bledsoe
Make salary go away to resign Holmes. Bledsoe is ung. the next season.

Boston trades: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith, 2021 BOS 1st (19)
Boston receives: Harrison Barnes, 2021 CLE 2nd (36)
Move down in the draft but get a useful player in return and open a roster spot for the MLE.

New Orleans trades: Eric Bledsoe, 2021 CLE 2nd (36), 2021 WAS 2nd (41)
New Orleans receives: Buddy Heild, 2021 BOS 1st (19)
Get a first round pick and a floor spacer who would be really useful for them.

Detroit trades: nada
Detroit receives: Tristan Thompson, Romeo Langford, Aaron Nesmith, 2021 WAS 2nd (41), cash
Get some prospects for cap space. Nesmith can shoot, who knows what Langford can do, and they get a free second. They can likely buy out Thompson and he can go to a contender.

not so attractive for celtics
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#19 » by Who-rod » Tue May 4, 2021 4:10 pm

Couldn't the Celtics just re-sign Fournier (hopefully back to full health) for a similar amount or less than Barnes, keep our assets, and our most consistent center, and pay the luxury tax?
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,477

Post#20 » by Jon1798 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:12 pm

Regardless of opinions on value, Pelicans can’t substantiate taking on Buddy’s deal.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj

Return to Trades and Transactions