Mattise Thybulle has the highest DBPM in the league

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 927

Mattise Thybulle has the highest DBPM in the league 

Post#1 » by dk1115 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:46 pm

I've literally never seen a 4.2 DBPM for as long as I've looked at basketball stats. And I think he actually has enough games and minutes to actually say that it's can be somewhat reliable. First DPOY coming off the bench?
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Re: Mattise Thybulle has the highest DBPM in the league 

Post#2 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue May 4, 2021 5:51 pm

He's been putting up some ridiculous defensive stats since entering the league. He's going to have a ton of value if he can become a consistent three-point shooter.

Anyway, he's a good enough defensively to be on the teams, but I think I would go with the guys who playing a larger role. Thybulle is barely playing 20 minutes a game on a team with two other All-NBA defenders.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Post#3 » by dkb9696 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:54 pm

dk1115 wrote:I've literally never seen a 4.2 DBPM for as long as I've looked at basketball stats. And I think he actually has enough games and minutes to actually say that it's can be somewhat reliable. First DPOY coming off the bench?

I really wanted the Raptors to get him in a trade for Kyle Lowry. Modern day Tony Allen.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,836

Post#4 » by Karate Diop » Tue May 4, 2021 5:55 pm

Good player. Just don't ask him to guard KYDRA.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 4, 2021 5:58 pm

Box Plus/Minus is a very good offensive metric, but it struggles some with defense. As mentioned before, when all you have is a box score, you cannot estimate defense very well. Not including minutes per game in the regression also hampers the accuracy of the defensive estimates. In other words--take DBPM with a spoonful of salt.

Yuck.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,896

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 4, 2021 5:58 pm

If he can get his 3PT shot more consistent he can be a better version of Bruce Bowen.
megalison
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#7 » by megalison » Tue May 4, 2021 6:00 pm

How do Sixers fans feel about this guy? His path to becoming the perfect Embiid/Simmons complement is so clear... but he's regressed this year shooting the 3.

Crazy to think the Sixers could have the MVP, DPOY, three all-defensive guys and not make it out of the East.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#8 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:01 pm

0.32 DRPM...so I'd go with the box score just isn't that great, but he's a good defender.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#9 » by kuclas » Tue May 4, 2021 6:03 pm

dkb9696 wrote:
dk1115 wrote:I've literally never seen a 4.2 DBPM for as long as I've looked at basketball stats. And I think he actually has enough games and minutes to actually say that it's can be somewhat reliable. First DPOY coming off the bench?

I really wanted the Raptors to get him in a trade for Kyle Lowry. Modern day Tony Allen.

He was available in the trade. Except Toronto got greedy and wanted more. Dude has 2 more years left in a cheap contract. So I don’t know what Toronto was thinking trying to ask for more. It’s not like he’s an expiring.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#10 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Tue May 4, 2021 6:05 pm

I’ve been super impressed with him every time I watch him play. His awareness and timing on that end are hard to believe sometimes — he makes it look easy.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,379

Post#11 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 4, 2021 6:11 pm

DBPM isn't some mysterious magic. Thybulle posts outrageous steal (leads the league in stl%) and block numbers (11th in the league % wise, and by far the highest mark for a non-center).

His defensive box score stats are the best in the league.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,829

Post#12 » by Duffman100 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:16 pm

kuclas wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:

He was available in the trade. Except Toronto got greedy and wanted more. Dude has 2 more years left in a cheap contract. So I don’t know what Toronto was thinking trying to ask for more. It’s not like he’s an expiring.

Again, you have no idea what was offered. It's so weird that people insist they know.
Stickmann
Freshman
And1: 61

Post#13 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 6:19 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:0.32 DRPM...so I'd go with the box score just isn't that great, but he's a good defender.

RPM is garbo ever since engelmann left. Yeah don't use it dude.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,078

Post#14 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:19 pm

megalison wrote:How do Sixers fans feel about this guy? His path to becoming the perfect Embiid/Simmons complement is so clear... but he's regressed this year shooting the 3.

Crazy to think the Sixers could have the MVP, DPOY, three all-defensive guys and not make it out of the East.

you gotta throw the stat sheet out with him, its just about his form and his comfort scoring the ball, hes never been asked to be a great scorer at any level, now hes playing on ateam with title aspirations, thats not easy for a guy whos never been asked to score like that. hes gotta fix his elbow and his release point. That wont happen this year, and i think its going to hold them back when they need him out there, but he cant hit the shots to stay out there. Thybule wants to be good though, so I expect him to improve.
Stickmann
Freshman

Post#15 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 6:22 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:DBPM isn't some mysterious magic. Thybulle posts outrageous steal (leads the league in stl%) and block numbers (11th in the league % wise, and by far the highest mark for a non-center).

His defensive box score stats are the best in the league.

his tracking numbers are pretty great too. When you start getting into +- stuff it's a little weird but i don't value a lot of those stats.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#17 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:25 pm

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:0.32 DRPM...so I'd go with the box score just isn't that great, but he's a good defender.

It's better than DBPM...
dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Post#18 » by dkb9696 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:26 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
kuclas wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:

Again, you have no idea what was offered. It's so weird that people insist they know.

The 76ers could not afford to lose both Green/Thybulle in a trade for Lowry. A Green/Scott/Maxey/2021 FRP for Lowry/Thomas would have been a fair deal. Embiid/Simmons/Lowry/Harris/Thybulle and Curry as a 6th man would have improved the 76ers chances of winning a championship this season.
Stickmann
Freshman

Post#19 » by Stickmann » Tue May 4, 2021 6:26 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

It's better than DBPM...

honestly not really. DBPM shows what is shows, good boxscore numbers. Thybulle is a monster at getting steals/blocks so it's no wonder that he's so good at it. DRPM is just hogwash at this point, there's nothing there of value.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#20 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:29 pm

Stickmann wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Stickmann wrote:

It's better than DBPM...

honestly not really. DBPM shows what is shows, good boxscore numbers. Thybulle is a monster at getting steals/blocks so it's no wonder that he's so good at it. DRPM is just hogwash at this point, there's nothing there of value.

It still generally goes with the eye test on the best defenders. I'm sure if you find a raw RAPM you'll see similar metrics here. If anything RPM should be giving us a closer figure to DBPM than raw RAPM would do.

Return to The General Board