ImageImageImageImageImage

Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him?

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,994

Re: Lonzo Ball - What's your opinion of him? 

Post#361 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue May 4, 2021 3:08 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
BugginOut wrote:Maybe we can get him for 20 million? I’m meh mostly cause I don’t know what he will be in the future. He can’t stay healthy so he hasn’t been able to work on his game. But he is still young and maybe the FO thinks that with the right coach and environment he can have a career resurgence like Randle did.

He has talent but his drive scares me. Does he even care?

What are the alternatives, are you fine with going into next season with Payton still starting?

Outside of trying to trade for Sexton, I don't see any avenues to getting much better at PG. We're not going to start a rookie point guard next season and IQ is not a PG. Nobody we get is going to be this perfect player some of you are holding out for and the 2022 free agent pool of PGs isn't that great either.

I'm not gonna stop you from liking Lonzo cuz I do too but there are many options. Even if we were only looking at FA there's Schroeder, I liked someone's idea of giving Lowry sort of a mini max one yr deal or 1-1option. You still got trades. I know the Knicks have liked scary Terry for a while. Teams may look to go in different directions. And then lastly there's the draft and inner development.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,850

Post#362 » by robillionaire » Tue May 4, 2021 3:37 pm

I still love the idea of bringing in Lonzo and think it’s a great opportunity for the Knicks But as some have mentioned he’s not really a Thibs style guard so I could see them going after a shroder or something instead. He might not really be on our radar, hard to say

Also you could say IQ isn’t a PG all you want but I’d rather bring back Rose and roll him out there as the backup than bring in some washed up geezer like Lowry
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#363 » by robillionaire » Tue May 4, 2021 3:40 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Rose > Lonzo - particularly at the likely cost. Guess we can use both but with Rose improved play I would say it is a priority to improve over Payton but not important to get one of the top PGs out there. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/point-guard/

Who are decent mid-level options to split PG duties with Rose? Reggie Jackson? Mcconnell?

I’d be good with both, Rose is good but you’d want to restrict his minutes a bit to keep him fresh and avoid injury, he’s been playing well as the 6th man I’d probably keep him in that role and timeshare with Lonzo

Also I expect the Knicks not to be shy about throwing the bag at someone they were basically trying to max out Gordon Hayward last summer and only Jordan saved us
fatalogic
Veteran
And1: 2,147

Post#364 » by fatalogic » Tue May 4, 2021 3:47 pm

I think I'm also out on Lonzo now. I think he has a ton of potential but he has a lot of roadblocks to getting there. I'd rather roll with IQ, Luka, Rose, and maybe bring in someone like Lowry for a year or two while IQ improves his game.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,447

Post#365 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 4, 2021 3:55 pm

With Rose balling out we can afford to be more picky. For the right price I would still add Lonzo and am interested. We should be looking to add pieces. But no need to go all out. If we end up bringing everyone back (except replace Payton), draft, while keeping a max in the back pocket that is not even a bad option.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,083

Post#366 » by Juco24 » Tue May 4, 2021 3:58 pm

robillionaire wrote:I still love the idea of bringing in Lonzo and think it’s a great opportunity for the Knicks But as some have mentioned he’s not really a Thibs style guard so I could see them going after a shroder or something instead. He might not really be on our radar, hard to say

Also you could say IQ isn’t a PG all you want but I’d rather bring back Rose and roll him out there as the backup than bring in some washed up geezer like Lowry

Yeah, a lot of what you said has merit. Lonzo isn't really that guard that's needed... I mean, he's a huge upgrade over Payton, but who isn't? And really like what I've been seeing out of IQ recently - his handles are pretty good, especially for a rookie and undoubtedly will get better with strength. I do like Lowry, but not sure how much he has left in the tank - definitely wouldn't go overboard on an offer.
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#367 » by robillionaire » Tue May 4, 2021 4:13 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:With Rose balling out we can afford to be more picky.

If we can retain him, I mean he’s an unrestricted free agent, someone out there might want to pay him bigger bucks than we are. Hopefully he wants to stay in NY and gives us a discount
ItsPajama
Rookie
And1: 1,167

Post#368 » by ItsPajama » Tue May 4, 2021 4:18 pm

robillionaire wrote:

If we can retain him, I mean he’s an unrestricted free agent, someone out there might want to pay him bigger bucks than we are. Hopefully he wants to stay in NY and gives us a discount

Derrick Rose is on the higher side of career earnings, and Adidas is still paying him superstar money. I think he can spare us a few bucks.
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,447

Post#369 » by Deeeez Knicks » Tue May 4, 2021 4:22 pm

ItsPajama wrote:
robillionaire wrote:

Derrick Rose is on the higher side of career earnings, and Adidas is still paying him superstar money. I think he can spare us a few bucks.

You never know, but seems pretty likely we would be able to retain him. Rose seems pretty happy here too.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#370 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 4, 2021 4:25 pm

I don't see any reason to pursue him, we will have to give up assets for him and he's not a big need for this team. He is a decent player , nothing special.

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Juco24
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,083

Post#371 » by Juco24 » Tue May 4, 2021 4:42 pm

robillionaire wrote:

I seriously doubt he'd want to leave Thibs and this team... but money does indeed talk.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,221

Post#372 » by duetta » Tue May 4, 2021 4:48 pm

I don't at all mind paying Rose good money on a short-term deal. But we will need to replace Payton.
Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#373 » by Tron Carter » Tue May 4, 2021 4:56 pm

still a nope for me dawg. he's just not a point guard.
R.I.P Black Mamba
robillionaire
RealGM

Post#374 » by robillionaire » Tue May 4, 2021 5:11 pm

Woodsanity wrote:I don't see any reason to pursue him, we will have to give up assets for him and he's not a big need for this team. He is a decent player , nothing special.

We would not have to give up assets
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,492

Post#375 » by Meat » Tue May 4, 2021 5:38 pm

Woodsanity wrote:I don't see any reason to pursue him, we will have to give up assets for him and he's not a big need for this team. He is a decent player , nothing special.

this team is made up of nothing special players, that's why this season is special
Meat
Head Coach
And1: 4,492

Post#376 » by Meat » Tue May 4, 2021 5:47 pm

why would ever one ever put rose in a position of necessity
BigShot Bojan
General Manager
And1: 7,549

Post#377 » by BigShot Bojan » Tue May 4, 2021 5:53 pm

Personally I'd rather ...Caruso than Schroeder.....Ball>>>Caruso>Schroeder
Formerly Knicks85
dmzed
Sophomore
And1: 143

Post#378 » by dmzed » Tue May 4, 2021 6:22 pm

RHODEY wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:Cameron payne is a sneaky low low cost option

Dude has vastly improved.

Cam Payne would be fantastic
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,059

Post#379 » by RHODEY » Tue May 4, 2021 7:35 pm

dmzed wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
FreeSpiritNY wrote:Cameron payne is a sneaky low low cost option

Dude has vastly improved.

Cam Payne would be fantastic

Yes very astute find..dude was literally almost out the league..he was trash, then I saw him play a few games this season and I was like ...wow. definitely vastly improved and he is no doubt better than Payton.
KnicksGod
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 37,856

Post#380 » by KnicksGod » Tue May 4, 2021 7:42 pm

I like him. But I don't think he's a particularly good starter or anything resembling a Max player.

Return to New York Knicks