ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Who do you guys want the most assuming all of these players are within our range

James Bouknight
24%
Ayo Dosunmo
6%
Tre Mann
12%
Davion Mitchell
12%
Josh Giddey
18%
Jared Butler
8%
Ziaire Williams
6%
BJ Boston
2%
Moses Moody
4%
Sharife Cooper
8%

Total votes: 122

Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3 

Post#161 » by Fat » Sun May 2, 2021 7:17 pm

WargamesX wrote:Are there any really good D&3 prospects in this draft?

Another 3D guy that declared for the draft, Danny green material
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#162 » by NewKnicks » Sun May 2, 2021 7:22 pm

Nazrmohamed wrote:
NewKnicks wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
This is the most talent rich draft I have seen since I have been following. 10 years now. The fact that we don't have a high pick is another miscalculation by the Knicks leadership. Although it's not like we can draft anyway.

Agreed. People who are trying to make the statement that this draft is somehow overrated, did not watch much college bball this year. It was, and is a stacked draft top to bottom. All top 5 picks would have been the #1 pick last year. Outside of the top 5, there are another 5-8 players who have future star potential. The goal should be to get as high as we can, so we can get one more shot at hitting big on a draft pick.

This is probably the last draft for a while that we'll have the opportunity to get a really talented player. As the Knicks continue to improve, our picks will basically become useless moving forward because of our draft slots. `

I'll admit you are describing me. There's nothing like winning games to distract you from scouting college and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But ok, I'll let you be the expert. If what you say is true then we can't afford it. Toppin and 2 picks is like the type of trade fodder I'm using to land guys who could walk in and help us ( and I dont mean by being flashy, I'm talking about winning expectation). And that's why I said top player under 25 is a better talent pool.

Right? If the top 5 is that good they'd laugh at that deal Toppin and 2 picks in the 20s? Then Idk, then it starts shifting the other way where it's like.....we gotta give up all that for who Cory Kispert? So I just dont think there are trades involving our 2 picks that really end up better than simply drafting where we land. Hey, maybe what you're saying should give me hope that those picks will land me the nba ready upperclassmen I'm looking for. If the draft is good up top then maybe those guys start falling down to the 20s.

You bring up good points, but there is no way I'm trading to 7-10 and taking a guy like Kispert. I'm going to take one from the list of players that also have star potential. I'd rather swing for the fences than take a starter level player.

Players with star 'potential' outside of the Top 5 (we have zero chance to get into the top 5 unless we included RJ, but even then I doubt any team would move out of the top 5).

-Bouknight
-Scottie Barnes
-Jalen Johnson
-Keon Johnson
-Zaire Williams
-Jaden Springer
-Moses Moody? He's only 18 and he's got some serious talent. I'd trade up to take him.

If I left anyone out that people think has star potential, feel free to add.

There is a chance that one of them could fall to us, so we could get lucky. Keep that in mind. But if all it took was our 2 firsts this year and Obi to get into the 7-10 range, I'm doing it.

Obviously probably several of those players will bust out, because that's just reality.

You also have to consider that there in no way the Knicks will go into next season with more than one rookie. Thibs is not going to want to two number picks in the 20's sitting on the bench. I think the Knicks have a plan in place to put together some kind of package with all those assets.

One other point.. there is the possibility that we could just draft the two players in the 20's, hope they play well, and then include them in a future trade. That possibility exists as well.

I just want to take one more swing for the fences type move, because this is our last shot at a great player in a draft for awhile. With as good as this team, we won't get getting any more chances to land a stud in the draft in the upcoming years. Plus, with this draft being as stacked as it is, we should try to get something done to get as high as we can. We don't know how good next year will be. This is the year.
stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,915

Post#163 » by stuporman » Mon May 3, 2021 8:51 am

Why do people with the most garbage opinions feel the need to share them the most? :lol:
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
Sethaholic16
Junior
And1: 121

Post#164 » by Sethaholic16 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:37 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:

http://www.tankathon.com/players/trey-murphy-iii
https://youtu.be/qziM5_K6rnA

6'9 toolsy wing with insane efficiency.
50% FG/43% 3pt/ 92% FT shooting splits
67% TS / low turnovers

Strengths:
Shooting, above average defense, quick release, excellent finisher, low turnovers, efficiency, can guard 1-4

Weaknesses:
Not a playmaker, poor rebounding%, skinny, already 21 yrs/old

Low usage, low volume guy. Doesn't force the issue. Knows his role.

This is the Mikal Bridges type that every team needs. He passes both the analytics and eye test.
I don't know how he's projected to be a second rounder.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,746

Post#165 » by cgf » Mon May 3, 2021 5:58 pm

Sethaholic16 wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

67% TS / low turnovers

Strengths:
Shooting, above average defense, quick release, excellent finisher, low turnovers, efficiency, can guard 1-4

Weaknesses:

This is the Mikal Bridges type that every team needs. He passes both the analytics and eye test.

Murphy has replaced Scottie Lewis as the 3&D guy I want if we can't get Ziaire. His defense & stroke just look like everything we hoped Knox was starting to become at the start of the season.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Sethaholic16
Junior
And1: 121

Post#166 » by Sethaholic16 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:16 pm

cgf wrote:
Sethaholic16 wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

67% TS / low turnovers

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Murphy has replaced Scottie Lewis as the 3&D guy I want if we can't get Ziaire. His defense & stroke just look like everything we hoped Knox was starting to become at the start of the season.

Unlike Knox, Murphy is way more versatile as he can play 2/3/4, while Knox can only really play the 4, and maybe the 3. Plus, the key difference is Murphy actually makes his shots whereas Knox is inconsistent and still shooting below 40% FG
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,051

Post#167 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon May 3, 2021 6:18 pm

Sethaholic16 wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

67% TS / low turnovers

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

yes i've brought up murphy too. he reminds me of deandre hunter. if he stays in the draft i can see the knicks targeting him cause he can contribute right now
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
phuqtup1
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#168 » by phuqtup1 » Mon May 3, 2021 6:25 pm

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,555

Post#169 » by Capn'O » Mon May 3, 2021 7:14 pm

Damnit. The two players I was looking at around pick 20 for BAF just started moving hard up the draft boards.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Post#170 » by 8516knicks » Tue May 4, 2021 1:12 am

Our picks heading south. Oh well, more fun this season than last 25 plus years for NY. Maybe we can swing a Lillard deal with them?
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#171 » by Fat » Tue May 4, 2021 1:34 am

phuqtup1 wrote:

Thibs would love dosumnu easy system fit.. 6”5 attacking guard that can defend more than one position. More of a streaky shooter but he has upside in this department.

If we’re picking in the 20s he’s one of the guys on my list.
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
HerSports85
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 28,473

Post#172 » by HerSports85 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:30 pm

Everyone knows my pick is Butler BUT damn D Mitch just fits this team with his defense, energy and work ethic. He feels like a knick
BAF: Chicago Bulls
2023 In-season tournament Champs
stuporman
RealGM

Post#173 » by stuporman » Tue May 4, 2021 6:32 pm

Ayo with the Det pick is a perfect replacement for Burks, who likely will get an offer for more than the Knicks want to pay. Ayo has a nearly identical skill set although maybe even a better passer.
Image?
stuporman
RealGM

Post#174 » by stuporman » Tue May 4, 2021 7:46 pm

HerSports85 wrote:Everyone knows my pick is Butler BUT damn D Mitch just fits this team with his defense, energy and work ethic. He feels like a knick

I love his physical profile, defensive energy, dribble drive/finishing ability and sure, he may not be a true PG in the running an offense sense of it but he does create and pass pretty well out of the attention he commands off his penetration. He kind of reminds me of this year's version of what the Knicks have in Rose but more imposing physical on D.

Although I doubt he gets out of the top 10 and not sure two picks in the 20s even in this deep of a draft gets the Knicks that top 10 pick. I don't want to dump even more player and/or draft assets just to get one guy who still hasn't proven a thing in the NBA yet. As much promise he shows it's an expensive risk that route.

I may be satisfied with the Knicks grabbing a wing who drops out of the lottery like Williams or Springer and take Butler who may not have the upside of DMitch but his floor as a Thibsian PG is rock solid. With his ability to shoot and pass he can be a high impact player for the team dynamic in a super glue guy type of way even if he never becomes a 'star'.

Williams, Butler, Ayo/Murphy/Hyland and Bassey with the picks the Knicks have and I'd be pretty satisfied with the talent and depth both in the short and long term for them.
Image?
cgf
RealGM

Post#175 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 8:57 pm

That's basically what I'm hoping for; Ziare, Butler, & Murphy. Kids who could contribute early on if called upon by injuries, but with the big homerun swing in Williams; who is potentially a perfect partner for Julius & Rowan.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#176 » by WargamesX » Tue May 4, 2021 11:06 pm

cgf wrote:That's basically what I'm hoping for; Ziare, Butler, & Murphy. Kids who could contribute early on if called upon by injuries, but with the big homerun swing in Williams; who is potentially a perfect partner for Julius & Rowan.

I keep trying to see it with Ziare but I can’t. I mean I was wrong about Jaden McDaniel so I am not saying he won’t be good. He just looks he’ll need time and Knicks aren’t about that anymore :nonono: .

I actually found myself on that BJ Boston train. He’s flawed and his time in UK stunk but you can see where he looks like he should be at least a NBA roleplayer sooner than later.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
cgf
RealGM

Post#177 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 11:24 pm

WargamesX wrote:
cgf wrote:That's basically what I'm hoping for; Ziare, Butler, & Murphy. Kids who could contribute early on if called upon by injuries, but with the big homerun swing in Williams; who is potentially a perfect partner for Julius & Rowan.

I keep trying to see it with Ziare but I can’t. I actually found myself on that BJ Boston train. He’s flawed and his time in UK stunk but you can see where he looks like he should be at least a NBA roleplayer.

Did you watch this?

If so & you're still not feeling him, I can understand...the further a kid has to go to reach their potential the more chances for something to go wrong and he's got quite a ways to go physically before he can start to reach his full upside; plus it's hard to tell if you're dealing with an RJ or a Knox without getting to interview these kids ourselves. So I get why he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't see anything that can't be fixed, ways for him to contribute early in his development as he works on stuff, and a huge payout if he does make good on all his talent.

If not give it a watch; I think it does the best job of highlighting the things that make me so excited by his potential & how well he could fit next to Julius n RJ, of anything that I have seen/read about Ziaire thus far. And it does a fair job of pointing out his shortcomings, even if they are generally all things that are fixable via hard work & time with NBA trainers.

WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,478

Post#178 » by WargamesX » Tue May 4, 2021 11:28 pm

cgf wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

I keep trying to see it with Ziare but I can’t. I actually found myself on that BJ Boston train. He’s flawed and his time in UK stunk but you can see where he looks like he should be at least a NBA roleplayer.

Did you watch this?

If so & you're still not feeling him, I can understand...the further a kid has to go to reach their potential the more chances for something to go wrong and he's got quite a ways to go physically before he can start to reach his full upside; plus it's hard to tell if you're dealing with an RJ or a Knox without getting to interview these kids ourselves. So I get why he's not everyone's cup of tea, but I don't see anything that can't be fixed, ways for him to contribute early in his development as he works on stuff, and a huge payout if he does make good on all his talent.

If not give it a watch; I think it does the best job of highlighting the things that make me so excited by his potential & how well he could fit next to Julius n RJ, of anything that I have seen/read about Ziaire thus far. And it does a fair job of pointing out his shortcomings, even if they are generally all things that are fixable via hard work & time with NBA trainers.

I did but I interpreted more that he made only quick reads, struggled to finish in contact, and get lift on one leg.

He is skilled but he feels like a project. I could see him developing into a Middleton type player and just like Middleton need a few seasons to develop physically enough to be good. He looks better than Reddish and Knox though in that he doesn’t seem as lost as to what his role is on the floor.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
cgf
RealGM

Post#179 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 11:34 pm

WargamesX wrote:
cgf wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

Did you watch this?

I did but I interpreted more that he made only quick reads, struggled to finish in contact, and get lift on one leg.

He is skilled but he feels like a project. I could see him developing into a Middleton type player and just like Middleton need a few seasons to develop physically enough to be good. He looks better than Reddish and Knox though in that he doesn’t seem as lost as to what his role is on the floor.

He is definitely a project and Middleton probably is a reasonable comparison, but I think his ceiling is even higher than Middleton's. He's longer, a much more special athlete, and I think he has another level as a playmaker. If he hits his realistic-ceiling, we're talking more of a non-douchie Paul George. And I think he will be able to contribute better in the early stages, as a perimeter defender who we park in the corners on offense, as his length & quickness will let him make life suck for guards, even before he fills out.

Yeah, he's a lot smarter than Cam & Kevin...and much more resilient...

stuporman
RealGM

Post#180 » by stuporman » Wed May 5, 2021 1:54 am

I have to admit the more than I watch Williams video the less I like him even if he were to drop to the Knicks in the 20s....he looks the part but something about him just makes me wondering if it's a wasted pick waiting for him to develop much like we are going through with Knox.

I need more demonstrated skills in action and less potential upside hoping to be filled.
Image?

Return to New York Knicks