OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Rodwilliams
Bench Warmer
And1: 962

OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before? 

Post#1 » by Rodwilliams » Tue May 4, 2021 8:05 pm

Was exposed Thursday because a family member came over not knowing he had it even though he had cold symptoms. Got tested yesterday and was positive. Main symptom is chills, I feel real cold. I also have off and on coughing. Off and on headaches too. I have asthma and woke up this morning and could barely breathe. My asthma pump helped though. My parents didn’t catch it from my nephew because they have the vaccine. I’m in my 30’s. I know this is non basketball related but just wanted to share this with the realgm family because I feel horrible. Feel tired.

Has anyone on here had covid before? If so how was it, what symptoms did you have?
Harry Garris wrote: Curry can turn non playoff teams into title contenders.

Not if the team doesn’t have elite defenders[/quote]
What a pointless statement.Every Finals team had elite role players[/quote]
Rodwilliams wrote:Duh!Thats what I just said. Eat your own words
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before? 

Post#2 » by dlts20 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:07 pm

I've had a few people close to me that had it. Scary stuff. I just got the 1st vaccine shot on Thursday. Wishing you much blessings and safety
TheFire
Senior
And1: 909

Re: OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before? 

Post#3 » by TheFire » Tue May 4, 2021 8:10 pm

Hello. I hope you feel better and recover.

I’m in my early 30s and had it last month. I had a high fever with chills and body aches. These symptoms lasted for a few days and then lost my smell. I felt fatigued for about a week and the smell slowly improved. Overall, it took me close to 10 days to fully recover.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#4 » by illuminati666 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:10 pm

Yup I've had it. It all depends on your health and how your lungs are. I'm young and fine health so for me it was like a bad flu. Headaches, bodyaches very tired cough for about 10 days. About 5 rly bad days when you cant do anything but sleep.

If your older, or a smoker it might hit you worse. Depends, just be sure to monitor your self, take your temp, make sure your drinking a lot of fluids and get a ton of rest. That's the only thing that'll get you out of this.
Cubbies2120
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,051

Post#5 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:12 pm

Had it a month ago - symptoms I had:

Symptoms that passed:
- 2 days of fever
- 2 days of a weird headache (I never get headaches) - was getting a sharp pain in right side of head anytime I'd move my eyes left or right
- 4 days of fatigue - slept 12/12/14/12 hours in 4 days

Symptoms that linger:
- Shortness of breath when going up or down stairs (lasts like 30 secs). Never had that before, but I had pretty bad lung issues for first 10 months of my life.
- Can't smell everything - my dog has naaaasty breath, and I can't smell it. Can smell some food and weed though.

It wasn't too bad, I stayed away from my fiancée (she stayed upstairs I slept downstairs) and everyone else til my isolation was over.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,347

Post#6 » by MadDogSHWA » Tue May 4, 2021 8:12 pm

I only know 1 person who has given me a first-hand account. He's about a month recovered from main symptoms and he is exhausted all the time and struggling to breathe.

So much of the side effects seem to be based on whether or not the virus enters your brain.

For you, Mr. Williams just focus on the fact that the overwhelming likelihood is you make a full recovery.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,034

Post#7 » by lamscott » Tue May 4, 2021 8:13 pm

Watch out for the Cytokine storm, which is what makes you unable to breathe and have to be intubated. That is serious part. Most people don't have it but when you do is when you should worry.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,893

Post#8 » by Shock Defeat » Tue May 4, 2021 8:14 pm

Thankfully glad that I never got COVID (or at least, never had any symptoms) and now I'm fully vaccinated.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,760

Post#9 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 8:17 pm

The worst part of it for me was that it triggered my migraines for the better part of a week, fortunately, I didn't have significant respiratory issues...though I'm a regular weed smoker, so I may have just not noticed...

Hope your symptoms are on the lighter side of the spectrum & keep your inhaler by hand!
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#10 » by scrabbarista » Tue May 4, 2021 8:23 pm

The person I know in his 30's who had symptoms said it was like a horrible flu. Two days of not moving/eating at all, followed by another five days of "80-year-old-person weakness." Took about 9 or 10 days to more or less fully recover, as stated by another poster already. On the plus side, he lost like 15+ pounds, which was pretty much all of his extra fat. So, in a way, he got healthier.

PS He received no treatment/diagnosis of any kind. He just fasted and rested. And stayed hydrated.

PPS He said there was basically no pain. Just extreme weakness.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,325

Post#11 » by D.Brasco » Tue May 4, 2021 8:26 pm

Rodwilliams wrote:Was exposed Thursday because a family member came over not knowing he had it even though he had cold symptoms. Got tested yesterday and was positive. Main symptom is chills, I feel real cold. I also have off and on coughing. Off and on headaches too. I have asthma and woke up this morning and could barely breathe. My asthma pump helped though. My parents didn’t catch it from my nephew because they have the vaccine. I’m in my 30’s. I know this is non basketball related but just wanted to share this with the realgm family because I feel horrible. Feel tired.

Has anyone on here had covid before? If so how was it, what symptoms did you have?

I suspect I had it in late January of 2020, it wasn't until months later when they discovered Covid had arrived earlier than assumed that I put 2 and 2 together.

I hadn't used an asthma pump since literally childhood but the doctor put me back on it as my breathing was also difficult. It felt overall like a terrible terrible cold and or fever but I always tend to stay in good shape so I did get back to normal more or less in a couple weeks. I can however see how Covid can just destroy older people or people with underlying issues.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#12 » by Boneman2 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:28 pm

Hippa be damned. Twice in my life I have had two instances where my symptoms were very similar to COVID, but they lingered for months not days. If you have trouble breathing I hope you find comfort soon.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
AdriLaker
Junior
And1: 210

Post#13 » by AdriLaker » Tue May 4, 2021 8:29 pm

I hope you recover as fast as possible Rod, stay calm, you will pass it.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#14 » by kenwood3333 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:32 pm

A few friends got it last year and have since recovered from it; take some rest and you will be fine
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,677

Post#15 » by homecourtloss » Tue May 4, 2021 8:42 pm

I had it in January. Had cold like symptoms for a few days, bad headache for a day, otherwise fine. No lingering effects. I’m a black man in his 40s who needs to lose weight for reference.

Brother had it—2 days of flu like symptoms, 3 more days of being sick, otherwise fine. His wife tested positive with no symptoms.

Daughter’s teacher had it and had cold like symptoms for a few days. He’s in his late 50s, decent shape. Two of her friends’ parents tested positive—two were asymptomatic (one overweight, other average weight) other two had cold like symptoms for a few days (both in pretty good shape for early 40s people).

Neighbor had it—early 60s, really overweight, spent four days in the hospital, doing well now.

Bottom line and the data has always shown it: if you’re not old and unhealthy, highly, highly unlikely you’re in any danger.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,369

Post#16 » by BAMAFREAK » Tue May 4, 2021 8:42 pm

Wife and I had it just before Christmas. Affected us both differently. It attacked her sinuses and pretty much had her feeling like she had an upper respiratory infection. It attacked my lungs/breathing. I could barely move around without being out of breath.
We both got over it in about a week but she still doesn’t have all her smell and I don’t have my full lung capacity back. I can definitely see how it affects these pro athletes comeback from a conditioning standpoint.
We also both have been killed by allergies this past week, I’m thinking it somehow messed with our immune systems.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:46 pm

just a couple of days of coughs and heavy breathing, but that's usually the case for me cuz I smoke like a chimney so it was hard to notice.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#18 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue May 4, 2021 8:49 pm

I had it a week before Christmas. I didn't get a severe case but I did have a headache that lasted 10 days which was pretty horrible. For 3 weeks I also felt achy, tired, light-headed and while I never had a fever I felt like I did, and I also couldn't Walk up a flight of stairs without being winded. I lost my sense of taste and smell a week into it but that came back probably a week later.

I recommend getting an oxygen sensor as well just to keep your peace of mind
I also have asthma and I use mine constantly to make sure My oxygen level didn't dip below 92%
*Insert witty signature here.*
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#19 » by dirkforpres » Tue May 4, 2021 8:55 pm

Varies case by case, but my own experience wasn’t anything more than a head cold. Coughed for about a day and then was back to normal for the rest of the time I was quarantined. Make sure you get plenty of Vitamin D (if you have a patio or backyard) and most of all, stay away from the public PLEASE
FIRE JASON KIDD
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,372

Post#20 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:04 pm

I didn't get it, nor anybody else of my close circle of co-workers, friends, relatives, family that I know of. Let's say, 30/40 people I have more contact in a monthly basis.

I exercise 6 days a week, run, lift weights and swim. Also, never smoked in my life, and stopped drinking alcohol 7 years ago. Never had symptoms of cold, headache, etc, for 2/3 years now.

I still didn't take the vaccine simply because it isn't available in my age range, but intend to, later on. Here in Brazil, older people are getting vaccinated first (many of those people I wrote above already took it), plus health professionals and so on.

Hope you have a nice, fast recovery, OP.

Return to The General Board