Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,848

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1941 » by Stanford » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:44 pm

sodmoraes wrote:This new girl looks a little bit like him, with long hair

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app

:eyebrows:

Someone who can actually handle serious discussion on the BBC? Of course his ex’s ex-father is running for Gov of California, but that whole Kardashian fascination is kind of vapid and a waste.

ic
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,438

Post#1942 » by Eyeamok » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:27 pm

eyeatoma wrote:https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/ben-simmons-spotted-with-rumored-girlfriend-maya-jama-while-out-with-mystery-illness/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The pictures on the bottom of this with him enjoying wine makes me think the illness is bs and it's the Liv Simmons thing. No way you're consuming alcohol if you have a crazy flu.

It's fine if he needed the time off to deal with that. Just don't tell me it's an illness. In this day and age of social media it's really easy to suss this stuff out.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

It was an illness just not his illness.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,113

Post#1943 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:45 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:https://www.awesemo.com/sideaction/ben-simmons-spotted-with-rumored-girlfriend-maya-jama-while-out-with-mystery-illness/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The pictures on the bottom of this with him enjoying wine makes me think the illness is bs and it's the Liv Simmons thing. No way you're consuming alcohol if you have a crazy flu.

It's fine if he needed the time off to deal with that. Just don't tell me it's an illness. In this day and age of social media it's really easy to suss this stuff out.

It was an illness just not his illness.
Haha true.

Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,938

Post#1944 » by Foshan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:32 am

I'm happy he's back.

As someone who works alot with people's mental and emotional wellbeing, if that's what the 'illness' was, i'm glad he took the time. Also, while people may say "just tell us that, don't make up an illness, we'll be fine with the 'truth'" unfortunately, that is not usually the case. If the team announces he is having mental-health/well being issues because of his sisters situation that automatically becomes the "solemn" talking point on sports center, but the ridicule of tall of sports radio/internet, making a bad situation worse.

So, i'm happy just moving forward and hope we all hold up through the playoffs.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#1945 » by kuclas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:32 am

Granted the competition has been less than stellar. But Simmons seems to have an extra gear to his speed these 2 games back. Something was clearly bothering him the last 2 weeks. Good to have 10 days off to clear his mind off things.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#1946 » by snoopdogg88 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Foshan wrote:I'm happy he's back.

As someone who works alot with people's mental and emotional wellbeing, if that's what the 'illness' was, i'm glad he took the time. Also, while people may say "just tell us that, don't make up an illness, we'll be fine with the 'truth'" unfortunately, that is not usually the case. If the team announces he is having mental-health/well being issues because of his sisters situation that automatically becomes the "solemn" talking point on sports center, but the ridicule of tall of sports radio/internet, making a bad situation worse.

So, i'm happy just moving forward and hope we all hold up through the playoffs.

Why in the world would the team need to give that level of detail? All they have to do is say he’s out dealing with a personal matter/family situation. It happens all the time in sports.

You aren’t going to get around the speculation. That’s life as a celebrity or pro athlete. People will talk and speculate.
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1947 » by syntax » Tue May 4, 2021 7:56 pm

https://www.nba.com/news/defensive-player-ladder-sizing-up-dpoys-impact-on-title-chances

Seeing Ben rise on DPOY chances at a lot of different places.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,104

Post#1948 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 4, 2021 9:03 pm

Ben is not even playing defense at a DPotY level anymore, IMO. He fell off a bit as the season has gone on. Jimmy Butler should probably get it.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1949 » by syntax » Tue May 4, 2021 9:29 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Ben is not even playing defense at a DPotY level anymore, IMO. He fell off a bit as the season has gone on. Jimmy Butler should probably get it.

Defensive Win Shares: Simmo 5 - Butler not top 20
Defensiveb box +- Simmo 8 - Butler not top 20
Defensive rating - Simmo 6 - Butler 13

?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1950 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 4, 2021 9:38 pm

Jimmy Butler has a better defensive box +/- than Ben Simmons. Also leads the NBA in steal percentage among 30 mpg players. Simmons campaigned superhard but he's not bringing it in the second half of the season like he was earlier in the year. Thybulle is clearly the best defender on the team.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1951 » by syntax » Tue May 4, 2021 9:43 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Jimmy Butler has a better defensive box +/- than Ben Simmons. Also leads the NBA in steal percentage among 30 mpg players. Simmons campaigned superhard but he's not bringing it in the second half of the season like he was earlier in the year. Thybulle is clearly the best defender on the team.

You'd rather Thybulle guarding the opposing best player and switching 1-5?
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1952 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 4, 2021 9:45 pm

Nobody can "guard" anyone in the modern NBA. Ben Simmons was getting torched by Kawhi and Tatum/Brown is past playoff series. Thybulle is clearly the best defender because he rips steals and blocks shots at an unprecedented historic rate. Simmons is a great defender in his own right, but he's not the literal GOAT. Thybulle is.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1953 » by syntax » Tue May 4, 2021 9:49 pm

Kobblehead wrote:Nobody can "guard" anyone in the modern NBA. Ben Simmons was getting torched by Kawhi and Tatum/Brown is past playoff series. Thybulle is clearly the best defender because he rips steals and blocks shots at an unprecedented historic rate. Simmons is a great defender in his own right, but he's not the literal GOAT. Thybulle is.

Luka says hi.

7 points on 3-9 shooting with 5 turnovers when defended by Simmons, 12 points on 3-4 shooting when guarded by anyone else on the Sixers.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 581

Post#1954 » by blargh » Tue May 4, 2021 9:56 pm

Hopefully Ben not being included in The Ringer’s top 25 players in the NBA motivates him for the playoffs.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Kobblehead » Tue May 4, 2021 10:02 pm

syntax wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:Nobody can "guard" anyone in the modern NBA. Ben Simmons was getting torched by Kawhi and Tatum/Brown is past playoff series. Thybulle is clearly the best defender because he rips steals and blocks shots at an unprecedented historic rate. Simmons is a great defender in his own right, but he's not the literal GOAT. Thybulle is.

Luka says hi.

7 points on 3-9 shooting with 5 turnovers when defended by Simmons, 12 points on 3-4 shooting when guarded by anyone else on the Sixers.

What about Devin Booker? Took Ben's soul earlier this year.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1956 » by syntax » Tue May 4, 2021 10:09 pm

I dont care. Just win the title fellas
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#1957 » by kio80 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:05 am

blargh wrote:Hopefully Ben not being included in The Ringer’s top 25 players in the NBA motivates him for the playoffs.

They are right, he's definitely not top 25 this season, I wouldn't even put him in the top 40 to be honest.
The biggest problem is his ego, stubbornness and unwillingness to listen to criticism.
You can tell from his interviews, he thinks all people who urge him to improve his offensive game are idiots, and call them "not knowing basketball", acting like what he does is the only right way, which is wrong more often than not.
I am not a ben hater, if you had looked at my previous posts, I have been a big Ben supporter, but his actions, unwillingness to improve and attitude is really rubbing me the wrong way as of late.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,514

Post#1958 » by 76ciology » Wed May 5, 2021 5:48 am

Agree. Thybulle plays what is the ideal way to play defense in the league. The problem is, he (and spiderman) are probably the only 2 guys who can play like this :lol:

No physical contact, alot of anticipation and deflections.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1959 » by syntax » Wed May 5, 2021 7:20 am

kio80 wrote:
blargh wrote:Hopefully Ben not being included in The Ringer’s top 25 players in the NBA motivates him for the playoffs.

They are right, he's definitely not top 25 this season, I wouldn't even put him in the top 40 to be honest.
The biggest problem is his ego, stubbornness and unwillingness to listen to criticism.
You can tell from his interviews, he thinks all people who urge him to improve his offensive game are idiots, and call them "not knowing basketball", acting like what he does is the only right way, which is wrong more often than not.
I am not a ben hater, if you had looked at my previous posts, I have been a big Ben supporter, but his actions, unwillingness to improve and attitude is really rubbing me the wrong way as of late.

Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons have a 30-6 record together. What a scrub.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,464

Post#1960 » by youngcrev » Wed May 5, 2021 12:57 pm

syntax wrote:
kio80 wrote:

Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons have a 30-6 record together. What a scrub.

And they're 35-11 when Embiid plays.

The driving force of their success is the big fella. Obviously having his best support pieces helps, and Ben is the second most impactful guy on the roster, particularly with the lack of additional playmakers... But come on. Tobias has a arguably outplayed him this season. I don't see a particularly good case for him as a top 25 guy on this particular season, and without looking too much into it, I don't think it's that crazy for someone to say there's 40 guys having a better season than him this year (not saying I agree with it, just don't think it's completely outlandish)

I get the use of this stat in the context of when people say he's not that helpful to winning/hurts the team, but as a rebuttal to there being a bunch of guys having a better season than him? That's just lazy parroting of a stat that's been thrown around recently.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers