Image ImageImage Image

OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Re: OT: Bears Talk - Justin Fields era begins 

Post#381 » by Dresden » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

dougthonus wrote:
dice wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:That's a case of correlation and not causation.

exactly. there's really no way of knowing whether they guy who starts from day 1 and succeeds did so because he got the early exposure or because he was GOOD ENOUGH to handle the early exposure and learn/grow. every case is different

The historical opinion has just as little evidence to support it. Maybe the QB position is just so different, but what other position in the NFL do you think would learn better by watching rather than doing? You have something like 6-7 months to look at game film and and other stuff, what more watching do you think is truly beneficial here? Especially since not starting you also won't get full reps with the 1st time offense and actually develop chemistry with guys you will play with?

The idea that it is better to start your QB from day one is a far more logical conclusion than he will be better and more prepared and less likely to fail if he waits longer and doesn't play at all. His skills are far more likely to get rusty by sitting rather than improve. I can't imagine any athletic activity that you have practiced for over a decade is going to get better by taking a year off and watching someone else do it. The whole concept is absurd on the surface. The only reason anyone buys into it at all is that it is conventional wisdom.

I think part of the reasoning behind sitting a rookie, no matter what the sport, but esp. at QB, is that you don't want him to lose his confidence. Instead, you bring him along slowly, put him at the end of blowouts against other teams backups, maybe start a couple meaningless games at the end of the year. That way he gets his feet wet slowly. We've seen it happen where rookies get thrown out there, throw a bunch of picks or get mauled in the pocket, and then seem to lose confidence, start second guessing their instincts, etc, and it just goes downhill.

In practice, even if he's going against the second team, he's still practicing against nfl players. So it's not useless. If you get in 3-4 practices a week, for say 10 weeks, that's 30-40 practice sessions against nfl players to get up to speed, get used to the offense, get used to nfl defensive schemes, etc.

There are pro's and con's both ways I think.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#382 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Tue May 4, 2021 8:25 pm

I'd prefer he sits the entire year, unless it's painfully obvious he is better than Dalton. I'd like the front office to get another season and offseason to surround him for success.

The most beautiful college passes I can remember seeing were from David Carr. I remember watching his games and thinking "there is no way this guy fails". On the same level as Manning, I thought.

He was drafted by the expansion franchise Texans, and got brutalized behind a horrible offense line. Just forever crushed his career. Has the record for most sacks in a season, accomplished that as a rookie. Poor guy.

There are many anecdotal examples for both directions, but this one will always stick out to me as the most brutal, most extreme example.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 738

Post#383 » by Hold That » Tue May 4, 2021 8:31 pm

If you really want to get a feel for Fields. This is every throw and run he had this past season
Chris Olave who’s by far his favorite target is a projected first rounder and might be the first WR taken off the board in next years draft.. Willis is also projected to be a late first rounder to second rounder WR, who was his second favorite target.

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#384 » by dougthonus » Tue May 4, 2021 8:34 pm

Dresden wrote:I think part of the reasoning behind sitting a rookie, no matter what the sport, but esp. at QB, is that you don't want him to lose his confidence. Instead, you bring him along slowly, put him at the end of blowouts against other teams backups, maybe start a couple meaningless games at the end of the year. That way he gets his feet wet slowly. We've seen it happen where rookies get thrown out there, throw a bunch of picks or get mauled in the pocket, and then seem to lose confidence, start second guessing their instincts, etc, and it just goes downhill.

And why do you think that watching the game for a season where they will not be getting game reps, aren't trusted to lead their team, and aren't practicing as much with the first team will improve their skill level and confidence? Why are they more likely to not get mauled in the pocket or throw a bunch of picks in game 12 than game 1? Why would their skill level / knowledge be higher while actively not starting and fully practicing with the 1st team offense?

I've played a lot of sports, and I can't remember any time that I got better watching others play while playing less and practicing less, especially with a skill that I have already been finely honing for years.

In practice, even if he's going against the second team, he's still practicing against nfl players. So it's not useless. If you get in 3-4 practices a week, for say 10 weeks, that's 30-40 practice sessions against nfl players to get up to speed, get used to the offense, get used to nfl defensive schemes, etc.

You are going up against lesser players with the 2nd team and not developing chemistry with the first team unit. Yes, there is some value there, but I think that value is a ton less than 1st team reps and real game reps against other teams.

There are pro's and con's both ways I think.

I think the pros are greatly imagined because of conventional wisdom rather than re-examining it. It's like when everyone thought money-ball was ridiculous because it didn't follow conventional wisdom.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Hold That
RealGM

Post#385 » by Hold That » Tue May 4, 2021 8:51 pm

dougthonus wrote:
And why do you think that watching the game for a season where they will not be getting game reps, aren't trusted to lead their team, and aren't practicing as much with the first team will improve their skill level and confidence? Why are they more likely to not get mauled in the pocket or throw a bunch of picks in game 12 than game 1? Why would their skill level / knowledge be higher while actively not starting and fully practicing with the 1st team offense?

Understanding the playbook is a major reason why you’d prefer your QB to sit. Being better at anticipation throws knowing where everyone is suppose to be in the offense. You will also be more thorough progressing through your reads. The QB meetings will also come in handy, seeing where the QB before you makes mistakes and how youll be able to take a different approach. Not being picked apart in the media while you’re still learning. I’m definitely for Justin sitting unless he proves he’s head and shoulders better than Dalton and Foles right now when it comes to executing the offense. Most of the top elite QBs outside of russell wilson have sat for half a season minimum.

I've played a lot of sports, and I can't remember any time that I got better watching others play while playing less and practicing less, especially with a skill that I have already been finely honing for years.

I don’t think you can blanket statement sports and try to liken it to being an NFL QB. There’s so many nuances in being a NFL QB, can you name me 5 elite QBs who got thrown into the fire from day 1 that are currently playing? It’s not basketball where you can get away with athleticism and just reacting. He doesn’t just have to learn our playbook but he’s also having to learn NFL defenses and learning the difference between a college window and the nfl throwing window. On top of the fact we have no clue how good our O Line will be, I’d much rather have Dalton play crash test dummy to see how good our new oline will be instead of fields who’s be running for his life and not having time enough to read and respond.

You are going up against lesser players with the 2nd team and not developing chemistry with the first team unit. Yes, there is some value there, but I think that value is a ton less than 1st team reps and real game reps against other teams.

The chemistry with the first unit is probably one of the most overblown reasons to start a QB from day one. The biggest reason is that you want the QB to show he’s going through his reads and progressions, recognizing what the defense is playing. Chemistry with the first unit is the LAST thing you need to worry about because they will come quickly. That’s not enough reason to hurry him in with the first unit.

Most QBs fail in this league because they can’t process the field in less than 3 seconds before the pockets collapse. They second guess themselves throw picks, or incapable of many tough tight window throws. Or try to do to much making a throw they had no business making leading to a pick 6 or something else drastic. We really have no reason to rush Fields. The only reason why he’d be rushed is if Nagy and Pace wants to save their asses OR he just looks like a world beater in the pre season.. regardless, Fields will be our QB moving forward with or without Pace or Nagy.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#386 » by dougthonus » Tue May 4, 2021 9:02 pm

Hold That wrote:Understanding the playbook is a major reason why you’d prefer your QB to sit.

So if you trade for Tom Brady should you sit him so he can learn the playbook?

Being better at anticipation throws knowing where everyone is suppose to be in the offense.

You will do this better by not playing with your 1st team offense or in game conditions?

You will also be more thorough progressing through your reads.

Again, you will do this better by not getting game reps? You are more likely to get rusty at this than improve IMO.

The QB meetings will also come in handy, seeing where the QB before you makes mistakes and how youll be able to take a different approach.

Fields is likely fundamentally going to be different than either Foles/Dalton regardless.

Not being picked apart in the media while you’re still learning.

You'll get picked on whenever you are learning eventually.

I know I picked at these things, and I see some merit in them, I don't think it's zero. It's just the alternative of actually playing strikes me as having way more upside.

I don’t think you can blanket statement sports and try to liken it to being an NFL QB.

I don't think people can make blanket statements about how much it helps their playing ability to not play while also not having experienced being an NFL QB.

There’s so many nuances in being a NFL QB, can you name me 5 elite QBs who got thrown into the fire from day 1 that are currently playing?

How many are thrown into the fire? How many guy whom weren't thrown into the fire still went on to suck?

The chemistry with the first unit is probably one of the most overblown reasons to start a QB from day one. The biggest reason is that you want the QB to show he’s going through his reads and progressions, recognizing what the defense is playing. Chemistry with the first unit is the LAST thing you need to worry about because they will come quickly. That’s not enough reason to hurry him in with the first unit.

Why do you think you're going to learn all of those things while not playing? You can literally just analyze game film against your teams offense from the day you are drafted for 4-5 months before stepping on the field. You could watch literally every offensive play and what the opposing defense did 100x in that length of time. You can study the playbook day in and day out. All of the things one could do by sitting, can be done every single day from the moment you are drafted until preseason. Day 150 of studying film and the playbook so valuable compared to days 1-149 vs the 16x a year you can actually experience what it's really like?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#387 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 4, 2021 9:11 pm

Hold That wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Understanding the playbook is a major reason why you’d prefer your QB to sit. Being better at anticipation throws knowing where everyone is suppose to be in the offense. You will also be more thorough progressing through your reads. The QB meetings will also come in handy, seeing where the QB before you makes mistakes and how youll be able to take a different approach. Not being picked apart in the media while you’re still learning. I’m definitely for Justin sitting unless he proves he’s head and shoulders better than Dalton and Foles right now when it comes to executing the offense. Most of the top elite QBs outside of russell wilson have sat for half a season minimum.

I don’t think you can blanket statement sports and try to liken it to being an NFL QB. There’s so many nuances in being a NFL QB, can you name me 5 elite QBs who got thrown into the fire from day 1 that are currently playing? It’s not basketball where you can get away with athleticism and just reacting. He doesn’t just have to learn our playbook but he’s also having to learn NFL defenses and learning the difference between a college window and the nfl throwing window. On top of the fact we have no clue how good our O Line will be, I’d much rather have Dalton play crash test dummy to see how good our new oline will be instead of fields who’s be running for his life and not having time enough to read and respond.

Most QBs fail in this league because they can’t process the field in less than 3 seconds before the pockets collapse. They second guess themselves throw picks, or incapable of many tough tight window throws. Or try to do to much making a throw they had no business making leading to a pick 6 or something else drastic. We really have no reason to rush Fields. The only reason why he’d be rushed is if Nagy and Pace wants to save their asses OR he just looks like a world beater in the pre season.. regardless, Fields will be our QB moving forward with or without Pace or Nagy.

It's also kind of like a musician too. You may be immensely talented but if you don't know the source material it will not be your best performance. The NFL QB is like playing with James Brown, mistakes won't be tolerated and you won't be able to learn on the job, even if you have an insane amount of talent. Sure you would learn on the job and get up to speed, but James Brown as an example would never ever allow that. As you mention there are a lot of things for QB1 to learn and a pro playbook is bigger than a college playbook.

I had a friend who was a linebacker and was drafted by the Jets in the 6th round. He got to training camp and even though he played in two bowl games and top teams in college he was overwhelmed at how fast the game moved on the pro level. He ended up in NFL Europe for a little while never made it in the pro's. The NFL more than any other sport and even mores on the QB side is learning the game first before applying it in a real game. The fact that injuries are so prevalent and running plays wrong can ruin your career, every game means so much in the NFL and therefore so does every down of the game. It isn't really fair to compare it to other sports in that sense. That urgency is also why the NFL is so popular.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#388 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 4, 2021 9:41 pm

Jeffster81 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Unless Dalton completely outplays him in training camp and preseason which is highly unlikely; or unless Fields just can't absorb the offense quickly enough, which from what I have heard is also highly unlikely, Fields should start game 1.

And I am the guy that preaches bringing rookies along slowly. But that is in basketball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app

One thing to consider is that the Bears will be starting a rookie LT in Jenkins. Do you want to put your prize QB out there not knowing how Jenkins will fare? I'm cool with Dalton starting until the Bears are convince that Jenkins can protect Fields.

The most pressurized athlete in Chicago is not Justin Fields, it's the guy whose job is it to protect Justin Fields. That's Tevin Jenkins. Need to know he can handle job before putting Fields on the field.
Yeah, but Fields runs a 4.4. That's faster than the average wide receiver or corner back.

As long as Jenkins doesn't ole' block I still think Fields would be the best choice.

C'mon. This is Dalton he would be playing behind.

Again, have to see how they are both playing in training camp and how Fields understanding of the offense is. But I don't see any point running Dalton out unless Fields just isn't grasping things out of the gate. If Dalton starts for any other reason then it is not a good sign.

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#389 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 4, 2021 9:43 pm

Dominater wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
CobyWhite0 wrote:According to this article, QBs nowadays are much better off being "thrown to the wolves" as rookies

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/8/6/17655388/how-rookie-year-playing-time-impacts-a-qbs-future-chances-of-success-new-york-jets-sam-darnold

That's a case of correlation and not causation.

Pat Mahomes, the best QB in football right now, didn't play as a rookie until a throw-away week 17 game. Aaron Rodgers held a clipboard for 3 years. Tom Brady was behind Bledsoe. Carson Palmer, who was a #1 overall pick and looking pretty damn elite until he had that big injury, didn't play as a rookie. The list goes on.

I know there are lots of examples where rookies looked good too, but it's not a bad thing if they can be bought in slowly.
You have to consider who those rookies were playing behind. It wasn't Andy freaking Dalton :)

Hold That
RealGM

Post#390 » by Hold That » Tue May 4, 2021 9:44 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Hold That wrote:Understanding the playbook is a major reason why you’d prefer your QB to sit.

Tom Brady is an NFL vet and knows a plethora of defensive coverages and has seen almost every defensive coverage the NFL has to offer. He’s not a rookie having to learn both the offense AND defensive coverages so it’s not really comparable. Brady also has a long NFL tenure where he can confidently add in what he was doing in NE under a different play call and not exactly start from scratch like a rookie. He did that in TB.

You will do this better by not playing with your 1st team offense or in game conditions?

I think it’s more about confidence. Making mistakes in practice won’t be as detrimental as being in game when NFL is a game of inches and every possession matters. Of course it’s always good getting first unit reps but it’s not necessary in your first couple of weeks of development. First and second unit WR are running the same routes so it’s not that much of a difference. The only difference is the first unit runs cleaner routes and has better hands. They are still running the same exact route tree.

Again, you will do this better by not getting game reps? You are more likely to get rusty at this than improve IMO.

I don’t think it will be that much of an issue as you might think initially. You can learn the playbook and the routes with the second unit and that’s the primary focus right now. You don’t need to do that with the first unit. Once he has that down pat, then you can press to get him in with the first unit.

Fields is likely fundamentally going to be different than either Foles/Dalton regardless.

That’s really irrelevant when it comes to QB meetings. Most of them are about defensive coverages and what you’re looking at before the snap. So yes him getting insight from Dalton and Foles will do wonders from him. He doesn’t have to be like Foles or Dalton he’s in those meetings trying to learn what the defense is showing him and how to properly respond or audible.

You'll get picked on whenever you are learning eventually.

This is true, but let’s say we’re three weeks in and fields has more picks than TDs.. the media will surely call him a bust and revisit all the critiques they had of him that caused him to fail. You want him to be in the best possible situation to learn and grow. You want to make sure everything is covered before just tossing him out there. We have the luxury of having two great backups in Dalton and Foles there’s really no reason to start him week one. Most teams don’t having the QB depth we have right now.

I don’t think you can blanket statement sports and try to liken it to being an NFL QB.

I don't think people can make blanket statements about how much it helps their playing ability to not play while also not having experienced being an NFL QB.

This is also true but this is why we can look back in history and see what has worked vs what hasn’t worked when developing a QB. History tells us that it’s best to start the QB off with a clipboard

How many are thrown into the fire? How many guy whom weren't thrown into the fire still went on to suck?

Nothing is a given or guarunteed in sports. I think most organizations go with whatever usually gives you the best results in most cases, and typically having your rookie QB sit for a couple of weeks before tossing him out there is usually garners better results than throwing him into the wolves week 1.

Why do you think you're going to learn all of those things while not playing? You can literally just analyze game film against your teams offense from the day you are drafted for 4-5 months before stepping on the field. You could watch literally every offensive play and what the opposing defense did 100x in that length of time. You can study the playbook day in and day out. All of the things one could do by sitting, can be done every single day from the moment you are drafted until preseason. Day 150 of studying film and the playbook so valuable compared to days 1-149 vs the 16x a year you can actually experience what it's really like?

I’m willing to bet that fields will get first unit reps no later than week 2 maybe 3. He won’t get all the first unit reps but something around 30%.. it’s not like he’s going to be sitting on his but for weeks on end not playing in practice. He’ll get plenty of reps. I get what you’re saying there’s no better experience than actual IN GAME experience. At the same token he will be building chemistry with the second unit and some of the first unit especially if Dalton plays like Andy Dalton and Foles is the same ol Foles.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#391 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 4, 2021 9:46 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:Unless Dalton completely outplays him in training camp and preseason which is highly unlikely; or unless Fields just can't absorb the offense quickly enough, which from what I have heard is also highly unlikely, Fields should start game 1.

And I am the guy that preaches bringing rookies along slowly. But that is in basketball.

I think it makes little sense to bring rookies along slowly in any sport. Maybe in MLB because you have an actual league they play in, and they are getting reps every day and move up as they prove they are able to handle the level of competition.

QB is a little unique in that it isn't as practical to bring a QB in and let them play half a game as it is to bring an NBA rookie in and let him play 18 minutes.

With a QB you risk career ending injury at a much higher rate than a PG or really most other positions on a football field too. They try to maim QB’s. They also tend to get a lot of reps in practice if they are being groomed but I think the risk of injury is the prime factor. QB is also supposed to be a leader, hard to do without paying some dues.
If the injury concern is the issue, it is just a big a concern game 1, game 4, game 12, season 2, or season 4

Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#392 » by Stratmaster » Tue May 4, 2021 9:47 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:With a QB you risk career ending injury at a much higher rate than a PG or really most other positions on a football field too. They try to maim QB’s. They also tend to get a lot of reps in practice if they are being groomed but I think the risk of injury is the prime factor. QB is also supposed to be a leader, hard to do without paying some dues.

I've never heard the risk of injury being the reason. It has always been being beaten down mentally and never recovering because their skills weren't ready.
If that happens it was a bad draft pick. From what I hear and read this guy isn't mitch trubisky.

2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#393 » by 2018C3 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:05 pm

To tell you guys the truth, I more excited about Fields then any other Quarterback drafted in all the years I could remember as a Bears Fan.

Here is the list of the guys drafted while I was a Fan:

2021 Justin Fields
2017 Mitchell Trubisky
2014 David Fales
2011 Nathan Enderle
2010 Dan LeFevour
2005 Kyle Orton
2004 Craig Krenzel
2003 Rex Grossman
1999 Cade McNown
1998 Moses Moreno
1992 Will Furrer
1991 Paul Justin
1990 Peter Tom Willis
1989 Brent Snyder
1987 Jim Harbaugh
1984 Mark Casale
1982 Jim McMahon

I'm older, but will stop at 1982, because realistically I'm not old enough to remember any of the guys drafted before this era.

The reason I don't want to start him, is I don't want to ruin him if the rest of team is not ready to support him. I'd rather see the Veteran Red Head take the blame if the team drops a few games early on.

Justin may be better then both Dalton and Foles from day one, I just want the organization to preserve, and develop him, so maybe he could still be the Chicago Quarterback for the next 8-10 years. I have seen too much QB turnover in my lifetime. We have two guys on the roster who could help Fields develop, and talk and help him be successful before he eventually runs the show.

Trust me, I don't want to start Andy because he is simply a White guy. I want Justin to have the best chance to succeed. I want to see Justin leading this team for the better part of the next decade. I want the team to be patient and put him in the best chance to succeed.

If the Bears drop the first few games, and I think this is a possibility. I want to protect the new QB draft pick from being grouped in towards the growing anger with Pace and Nagy. I'd rather sacrifice a few games early on, and bring Fields in as a savior after expectations are lowered when the time is right.

The worst scenario for me would be to start Fields, have him loose a few games, and then get pulled and have Dalton come in as a 33 year old QB finishing up the season at a 50% won/loss rate.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,209

Post#394 » by Michael Jackson » Tue May 4, 2021 10:11 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
dougthonus wrote:
I think it makes little sense to bring rookies along slowly in any sport. Maybe in MLB because you have an actual league they play in, and they are getting reps every day and move up as they prove they are able to handle the level of competition.

QB is a little unique in that it isn't as practical to bring a QB in and let them play half a game as it is to bring an NBA rookie in and let him play 18 minutes.

With a QB you risk career ending injury at a much higher rate than a PG or really most other positions on a football field too. They try to maim QB’s. They also tend to get a lot of reps in practice if they are being groomed but I think the risk of injury is the prime factor. QB is also supposed to be a leader, hard to do without paying some dues.
If the injury concern is the issue, it is just a big a concern game 1, game 4, game 12, season 2, or season 4

To an extent but that is not the point of it. If he isn't ready to read a NFL defense he is way more open to getting hit. That increases avoidable injury risk. Mind you I am AOK with him starting day one if he has a good understanding of the playbook, looks great in training camp and preseason etc... but more than any other position the QB is most likely to get creamed and knocked out. I have a preference of not throwing your hopeful future QB out into that if he isn't ready.. Or if the line looks awful even.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#395 » by CjayC » Wed May 5, 2021 1:02 am

I'm okay with Fields starting if he comes to camp and blows the water off the competition in terms of accuracy, playmaking, and understanding of the playbook, but generally I'm okay if he holds a clipboard. Like Nagy said everyone will know when it's the time and we need that extra juice back there.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#396 » by Sinistar6 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:18 am

Sinistar6 wrote:I am really excited but I am starting to have some anxiety about this pick. I can not believe the only reason he dropped is because of team needs and other QBs excelling. This has been a top 2 QB in his class since high school. Did Zack Wilson really have that great of a year and pro day and does Trey Lance really have that much upside? JF ran a 4.4 40... his metrics on deep throws is off the charts, he had success at a Blue chip college, toughness leader etc. why did he drop? IMO no news about Fields is good news until the season starts. I realize this is delusional just not really used to these things happening in Chitown sports.

I thought I deleted this. I do not like my look in this post. I am portraying the “woe is me Chitown sports fan” defeatist attitude I hate. My worry is based not on substance or fields ability and history but on my own history...Our franchise QB does not know or care about my history.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#397 » by 2018C3 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:17 am

One of the reasons I think Fields may have dropped, is his history with a early diagnosis with epilepsy.

https://www.buckeyextra.com/story/football/2021/04/30/ohio-state-quarterback-justin-fields-discusses-epilepsy-diagnosis/4893387001/

It looks like he has it under control, but the condition likely may have played a part in his drop. and why the Bears were able to trade up and acquire him.

Jay Cutler also had diabetes, so many of us have struggles to overcome that can be treated in this modern age. I once worked with a diabetic, and he strait up told me that if he ever flipped out on me, don't take offense. He pre-warned me that sometimes he may get confused and very irritated, and would apologize later and sometimes he needs extra space and some additional time.

I never once noticed it, he was a great co-worker and a valuable asset.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#398 » by Susan » Wed May 5, 2021 2:48 am

Sinistar6 wrote:
Sinistar6 wrote:I am really excited but I am starting to have some anxiety about this pick. I can not believe the only reason he dropped is because of team needs and other QBs excelling. This has been a top 2 QB in his class since high school. Did Zack Wilson really have that great of a year and pro day and does Trey Lance really have that much upside? JF ran a 4.4 40... his metrics on deep throws is off the charts, he had success at a Blue chip college, toughness leader etc. why did he drop? IMO no news about Fields is good news until the season starts. I realize this is delusional just not really used to these things happening in Chitown sports.

I thought I deleted this. I do not like my look in this post. I am portraying the “woe is me Chitown sports fan” defeatist attitude I hate. My worry is based not on substance or fields ability and history but on my own history...Our franchise QB does not know or care about my history.

Hey man! Don't be so hard on yourself.

This feels so foreign and is hard to process.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#399 » by Jeffster81 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:03 am

Stratmaster wrote:Yeah, but Fields runs a 4.4. That's faster than the average wide receiver or corner back.

As long as Jenkins doesn't ole' block I still think Fields would be the best choice.

C'mon. This is Dalton he would be playing behind.

Again, have to see how they are both playing in training camp and how Fields understanding of the offense is. But I don't see any point running Dalton out unless Fields just isn't grasping things out of the gate. If Dalton starts for any other reason then it is not a good sign.

If Fields is the best QB come W1 then he needs to start, plain and simple. If he needs a little time and the Bears want to ease him in, I am also good with that.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,601
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#400 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Wed May 5, 2021 4:03 am

Hold That wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Tom Brady is an NFL vet and knows a plethora of defensive coverages and has seen almost every defensive coverage the NFL has to offer. He’s not a rookie having to learn both the offense AND defensive coverages so it’s not really comparable. Brady also has a long NFL tenure where he can confidently add in what he was doing in NE under a different play call and not exactly start from scratch like a rookie. He did that in TB.

I mean, didn't Brady sit for awhile behind Bledsoe? It actually is one of worst examples you could have used. Would Brady have had the type of career that he did without sitting for awhile?

Return to Chicago Bulls