What players would teams pay to move into capspace for a TPE?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,496

What players would teams pay to move into capspace for a TPE? 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:30 pm

Which players would teams give compensation to move into cap space in this coming off-season?

And what would that compensation be?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: What players would teams pay to move into capspace for a TPE? 

Post#2 » by chrbal » Tue May 4, 2021 8:42 pm

Last offseason the only ones I can think of are;

Utah sends Tony Bradley and the 38th pick to Detroit for cash.

Utah sent Ed Davis to New York with two 2nds for cash.

I would love to land a useful player in these situations, but I think you’d be more likely to see players like them get moved in these deals.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:49 pm

It seems like a down FA off-season and I could see a number of teams willing to take on contracts for pick compensation.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#4 » by Pinkyring » Tue May 4, 2021 9:00 pm

I think utah has to do something, they have a new owner fresh in a pandemic and Conley is a free agent. It probably takes 20m to keep him and i can't see them with a 150m payroll, they probably need to dump favors but that might take 2 first
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:13 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I think utah has to do something, they have a new owner fresh in a pandemic and Conley is a free agent. It probably takes 20m to keep him and i can't see them with a 150m payroll, they probably need to dump favors but that might take 2 first

I think they could trade Bojan to Knicks for a TPE. I'd expect that to take their '21 FRP
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,376

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Tue May 4, 2021 9:14 pm

Pinkyring wrote:I think utah has to do something, they have a new owner fresh in a pandemic and Conley is a free agent. It probably takes 20m to keep him and i can't see them with a 150m payroll, they probably need to dump favors but that might take 2 first

Favors is a good player and shouldn’t require any assets to dump.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,200

Post#7 » by Godaddycurse » Tue May 4, 2021 9:25 pm

or they just let conley expire/leave and make mitchell the PG moving forward
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 709

Post#8 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue May 4, 2021 9:34 pm

Personally I would take Bojan to the Mavs ... for 2 seconds ... if Jazz wants savings, Bring back Conley, fill the gap in FA
1+1=11
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:40 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:Personally I would take Bojan to the Mavs ... for 2 seconds ... if Jazz wants savings, Bring back Conley, fill the gap in FA

With Mitchell, Clarkson, Ingles, Royce and Niang, I think their wings are covered. I don't think they need Bojan to be replaced even. Maybe just a backup.
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 709

Post#10 » by Mike lorenzo » Tue May 4, 2021 10:08 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Personally I would take Bojan to the Mavs ... for 2 seconds ... if Jazz wants savings, Bring back Conley, fill the gap in FA

With Mitchell, Clarkson, Ingles, Royce and Niang, I think their wings are covered. I don't think they need Bojan to be replaced even. Maybe just a backup.

yes I was thinking of PJ Tucker / Millsap or Bjelica if they accept $ 4/6 as endorsements or even the MLE for Porter
1+1=11
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,025

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 4, 2021 10:12 pm

chrbal wrote:Last offseason the only ones I can think of are;

I would love to land a useful player in these situations, but I think you’d be more likely to see players like them get moved in these deals.

Okc did a bunch too. Indy paid a second and ate Jalen Lecque’s guaranteed money to dump TJ Leaf into a TPE. Just because a guy may have also gone back doesn’t mean it wasn’t a TPE deal for a salary dump with payment.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#12 » by Devilanche » Tue May 4, 2021 10:18 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Okc did a bunch too. Indy paid a second and ate Jalen Lecque’s guaranteed money to dump TJ Leaf into a TPE. Just because a guy may have also gone back doesn’t mean it wasn’t a TPE deal for a salary dump with payment.

Think quite a bit went into all the OKC trades . I think this off-season Presti will do the same . Just can’t see him offering RFA deals unless we got 2 top 5 picks.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by zimpy27 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:40 pm

Devilanche wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Think quite a bit went into all the OKC trades . I think this off-season Presti will do the same . Just can’t see him offering RFA deals unless we got 2 top 5 picks.

RFA deals are rarely worth it. You are effectively only successful if you value the player more than the team that that player has been and grown for the past 4 seasons.

It's a fairly big gamble unless it's tax stress that causes team not to match.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#14 » by Devilanche » Tue May 4, 2021 11:03 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
RFA deals are rarely worth it. You are effectively only successful if you value the player more than the team that that player has been and grown for the past 4 seasons.

It's a fairly big gamble unless it's tax stress that causes team not to match.

If we have 2 top 5 picks with SGA and Dort , it’s unlikely we will pick in the high lotto anymore so it’s a question of whether we use our cap space now to overpay for talent or use it next offseason.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pinkyring » Tue May 4, 2021 11:42 pm

jayjaysee wrote:

Favors is an outdated big that cant defend, nobody is willing paying 10m for a 15 minute backup
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 5, 2021 12:16 am

Pinkyring wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

Favors is an outdated big that cant defend, nobody is willing paying 10m for a 15 minute backup

He’s absolutely a good defender, though no Gobert. Did you mean that he can’t defend in space like a 4 or something?
Pinkyring
RealGM

Post#17 » by Pinkyring » Wed May 5, 2021 12:29 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

He’s absolutely a good defender, though no Gobert. Did you mean that he can’t defend in space like a 4 or something?

No i meant he cant defend at all, u must've not seen him much this season or looked at his defensive numbers
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#18 » by NYG » Wed May 5, 2021 1:37 am

zimpy27 wrote:Which players would teams give compensation to move into cap space in this coming off-season?

And what would that compensation be?

If it became absolutely necessary for a big trade or crucial free agent signing to work cap wise then I would use a second rounder to dump Knox if teams preferred not to even have him at his current salary.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 5, 2021 1:53 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Favors is an outdated big that cant defend, nobody is willing paying 10m for a 15 minute backup

No i meant he cant defend at all, u must've not seen him much this season or looked at his defensive numbers

I’ve watched him a couple times, and looked at his defensive numbers before posting.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,328

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 5, 2021 2:15 am

If Dallas needed off Trey Burke's small number I could see them using a couple 2nds to get off it. If Dallas absolutely needed to get off Dwight Powell I'd assume they'd give a future protected 1st.

Both seem unlikely to be necessary with no max free agent likely to agree to terms with them but that would be the "bad" money Dallas would want to move.

I also think Dallas might be willing to move off KP's contract, but I don't see them attaching an asset. Everyone else under contract next year or beyond has positive neutral save maybe Terry, but his deal is so cheap, no point in paying to dump.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions