ImageImageImageImageImage

Playoff Paul George Mega-thread

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

RingColluder
Pro Prospect
And1: 240

Playoff Paul George Mega-thread 

Post#1 » by RingColluder » Tue May 4, 2021 9:39 pm

Going directly off Mod "TrueLaFan's" suggestion of, "And here's a suggestion--if there's a single idea any poster wants to reiterate over and over, start a thread about it.", this thread is about the biggest elephant in the room. Playoff Paul George.

(Note: Any future comments regarding Paul George and his potential for the playoffs/his run will go here. All other comments RELATING TO THE GAME AT HAND PG or otherwise will go in GT's, so as to not "derail" GT's with topics other than the current game presently going on)

As many of us (not just me) have stated in GT's, we will go only as far as Paul George can take us or not. He's had 4 consecutive first round exits (excluding last year which also was a bad playoff year), and tends to play better in games that are not national or considered, "big games". Especially in the playoffs where defenses lock down and Paul George' style of play gets stifled similar to a Carmelo Anthony, I am deeply concerned when he is taking up max money that could have gone to other areas of need. Particularly in terms of his "playmaking" and horribly inconsistent shooting as of late.

So any long term discussion about his skills or lack thereof belong in this thread as stated by the moderator. Problem solved. :D
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,162

Re: Playoff Paul George Mega-thread 

Post#2 » by Scoundreldays » Tue May 4, 2021 10:16 pm

This thread should be interesting over the coming weeks. Let's go Paul George, we need you! *Raises hands for a PG spirit bomb*
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by RingColluder » Tue May 4, 2021 11:11 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:This thread should be interesting over the coming weeks. Let's go Paul George, we need you! *Raises hands for a PG spirit bomb*

There was a brief period of games where it seemed the focus when solely to his scoring and NOT to his "playmaking" which was coincidentally his best stretch of games of the season. Why we've gone backwards I don't know..

Last 5 games (excluding the 5-21, 2 assists 0 TO game):
3 TO's 5 assists
3 TO's 3 assits
7 TO's 4 assits
4 TO's 3 assists
5 TO's 4 assists.

We don't NEED him to be doing all that if it's to the detriment of his scoring! Please just conserve energy PG even if it means less rebounds or a slight decrease in defensive energy.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,805

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Tue May 4, 2021 11:13 pm

I had a LOT to say last off-season. [Most of which people are saying here NOW lol.] If things go south again this year I will revel in my 'I-told-you-so's.' Count on it. :wink:

But I started dropping the whining as this season progressed, and now we are in dress rehearsals for the playoffs. So as I said last year at the same juncture--the negativity can wait. We all know the reasons why the Clippers can't win, but the only fun now is why they CAN.

The greatest moment in Clippers history was in 2015 when CP3 hit the game-winner in Game 7 vs the Spurs. But on the old SCOUT board after we went down 3-2 in the series, most of the "fans" there had given up.

Well, I didn't. We came back and won Games 6 AND 7. Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Don't cheat yourself, and let's not cheat each other. This is supposed to be fun.

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by RingColluder » Tue May 4, 2021 11:16 pm

esqtvd wrote:I had a LOT to say last off-season. [Most of which people are saying here NOW lol.] If things go south again this year I will revel in my 'I-told-you-so's.' Count on it. :wink:

But I started dropping the whining as this season progressed, and now we are in dress rehearsals for the playoffs. So as I said last year at the same juncture--the negativity can wait. We all know the reasons why the Clippers can't win, but the only fun now is why they CAN.

The greatest moment in Clippers history was in 2015 when CP3 hit the game-winner in Game 7 vs the Spurs. But on the old SCOUT board after we went down 3-2 in the series, most of the "fans" there had given up.

Well, I didn't. We came back and won Games 6 AND 7. Now, THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout.

Don't cheat yourself, and let's not cheat each other. This is supposed to be fun.

It's VERY fun to root for Paul George when he's playing the right way. This is not a talent issue whatsoever, he can be amazing at times! The issue is his mindset and BB IQ (or however Ty Lue is telling him to play). I'm not sure if bringing back Ibaka and Bev will change the role for him as playmaker, but maybe it'll open up his scoring opportunities and the floor more? I'm willing to be hopeful :wink:
Scoundreldays
Veteran

Post#6 » by Scoundreldays » Tue May 4, 2021 11:31 pm

RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:This thread should be interesting over the coming weeks. Let's go Paul George, we need you! *Raises hands for a PG spirit bomb*

There was a brief period of games where it seemed the focus when solely to his scoring and NOT to his "playmaking" which was coincidentally his best stretch of games of the season. Why we've gone backwards I don't know..

3 TO's 5 assists
3 TO's 3 assits
7 TO's 4 assits
4 TO's 3 assists
5 TO's 4 assists.

We don't NEED him to be doing all that if it's to the detriment of his scoring! Please just conserve energy PG even if it means less rebounds or a slight decrease in defensive energy.

I agree, best he focuses on his shooting. I'm hoping we are just getting all of his bad games out of the way before the playoffs. I'm excited and scared at the same time.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by RingColluder » Tue May 4, 2021 11:38 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

3 TO's 5 assists
3 TO's 3 assits
7 TO's 4 assits
4 TO's 3 assists
5 TO's 4 assists.

I agree, best he focuses on his shooting. I'm hoping we are just getting all of his bad games out of the way before the playoffs. I'm excited and scared at the same time.

5 consecutive first round exits from him (excluding last year which also was a bad playoff year), I'm more frustrated and apprehensive than anything :lol: He's so inconsistent he could easily have a horrendous first round but we somehow make it and then lead us to the WCF with a fantastic series. I'd personally just rather have consistency from him, but unfortunately that's not his MO..
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by RingColluder » Wed May 5, 2021 4:52 am

A decent game from PG. Some very sloppy and boneheaded plays particularly to end the 3rd, but managed to have a great finish both defensively and offensively that solidified the game for us. Still went through some long stretches not doing much.

One nice game after an awful stretch from him, lets keep int going for the Lakers game!
Scoundreldays
Veteran

Post#9 » by Scoundreldays » Wed May 5, 2021 5:00 am

Paul George Spirit Bomb sorta worked.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#10 » by RingColluder » Wed May 5, 2021 5:07 am

Scoundreldays wrote:Paul George Spirit Bomb sorta worked.

1 decent-ish game out of 4 (with 3 horrendous games). Yay? :lol:

Maybe we can make it two in a row against the Lakers. We can always hope!
Scoundreldays
Veteran

Post#11 » by Scoundreldays » Wed May 5, 2021 5:11 am

RingColluder wrote:

Haha that's why I said sorta. Hope it's a step in the right direction.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by RingColluder » Wed May 5, 2021 5:16 am

Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Hope is never a good strategy, but I suppose that's all we have. :lol:

If he can play at even 75% of his potential rather than classic playoff P, I like our chances to get to at least the WCF.

Glad to find another poster on here who can see things from an objective standpoint regarding this supposed star. Cheers!
Scoundreldays
Veteran

Post#13 » by Scoundreldays » Wed May 5, 2021 5:23 am

RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

If he can play at even 75% of his potential rather than classic playoff P, I like our chances to get to at least the WCF.

Glad to find another poster on here who can see things from an objective standpoint regarding this supposed star. Cheers!

I actually really like PG which is why I get frustrated when he has some of these boneheaded games because I want him to show everyone up after last year.

Thanks I have followed basketball over the last few years but this is my first season actually learning to have in depth discussions. I was more of a lurker last year.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by RingColluder » Wed May 5, 2021 5:26 am

Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:Haha that's why I said sorta. Hope it's a step in the right direction.

I actually really like PG which is why I get frustrated when he has some of these boneheaded games because I want him to show everyone up after last year.

Thanks I have followed basketball over the last few years but this is my first season actually learning to have in depth discussions. I was more of a lurker last year.

Same! I was so happy after we had the trade that brought him and Kawhi here and thought we'd be unstoppable (he'd be the Pippen to Kawhi's Jordan) but alas it hasn't worked out at all up to this point. Didnt' realize what a ballstopper he was till he got to the Clippers and given the nature of last year's team chemistry turmoil not the best leader either...

Was a lurker last year as well and started posting early in the season (I think). It's a great board way better than reddit, just it turns out you can't discuss or even criticize PG at all in a general sense unless it's in it's own designed thread. Must be part of the max contract :lol:
Scoundreldays
Veteran

Post#15 » by Scoundreldays » Wed May 5, 2021 7:05 am

RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

Same! I was so happy after we had the trade that brought him and Kawhi here and thought we'd be unstoppable (he'd be the Pippen to Kawhi's Jordan) but alas it hasn't worked out at all up to this point. Didnt' realize what a ballstopper he was till he got to the Clippers and given the nature of last year's team chemistry turmoil not the best leader either...

Was a lurker last year as well and started posting early in the season (I think). It's a great board way better than reddit, just it turns out you can't discuss or even criticize PG at all in a general sense unless it's in it's own designed thread. Must be part of the max contract :lol:

Came from the gamefaqs board. This place is Heaven compared to there.
He has done pretty well against the Lakers this season so I'm hoping he can keep building up some momentum Thursday.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 961

Post#16 » by clipperlover » Wed May 5, 2021 8:26 am

RingColluder wrote:He's had 5 consecutive first round exits

Before starting a thread to bash a player, maybe get rid of the fake news. It is pretty easy to check.
RingColluder
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by RingColluder » Wed May 5, 2021 9:34 am

clipperlover wrote:
RingColluder wrote:He's had 5 consecutive first round exits

Before starting a thread to bash a player, maybe get rid of the fake news. It is pretty easy to check.

*This is not to bash a player, it's to talk about him in a larger sense absent of the GT

If you looked at my second post, I verbatim wrote, "5 consecutive first round exits from him (excluding last year which also was a bad playoff year),"

I'll correct the first post then if it somehow makes the point better for you. :o
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#18 » by Quake Griffin » Wed May 5, 2021 10:42 am

I’m a huge Dodger fan. So I’ve literally watched our franchise player melt down multiple times on the playoff stage. I also am a FORMER Tom Brady hater. Thus, Peyton Manning was that guy to me for years. I swore if Peyton ever had Belichick, he could have as many rings...

Just lol.

Some guys play UP or stay their normal elite self when the playoffs come:
- Derek Jeter
- Tom Brady
- Madison Bumgarner
- Curt Schilling
- LeBron (sorry Skip)
- Tim Duncan

Then there’s superstars or stars that become less of themselves in these moments:
- Kershaw
- David Price
- Peyton Manning
- Paul George

You want to believe these guys can get over the hump because the talent is there. Worst? These types of guys will actually give you a solid performance every now and then in the playoffs. Sucks you in. Makes you believe.

The betting money should ALWAYS be on these guys to be less than their regular season selves. You should always be hoping the roster can pick up their weak and choking garbage elsewhere when you need it.

Cliffs:
- Don’t expect Paul George to do anything but choke.
- If he doesn’t choke? It’s all profit.

#WheresThatImGonnaMissSGAThreadIMadeTheDayAfterWeTradedForPaulGeorge
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#19 » by playaloc916 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:18 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:I actually really like PG which is why I get frustrated when he has some of these boneheaded games because I want him to show everyone up after last year.

Came from the gamefaqs board. This place is Heaven compared to there.
He has done pretty well against the Lakers this season so I'm hoping he can keep building up some momentum Thursday.

Wow! Gamefaqs board! I used to post on all sorts of message boards on Gamefaqs when I was in high school/college (probably over 15 years ago). Wow those were the days... I remember they had a basketball board but it was mostly casuals on there.
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#20 » by playaloc916 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:23 pm

RingColluder wrote:
Scoundreldays wrote:
RingColluder wrote:

This board is better to have discussions because there aren't hundreds of people posting, but for funny meme's, reddit is just too good.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers