OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,191

Re: OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before? 

Post#41 » by Wagonband » Tue May 4, 2021 10:45 pm

Mine was very mild... Felt like i had a cold for a few days, but if it were in non corona times it probably wouldn't even stop me from playing basketball with my friends... And i'm in my mid 30s... It really depends from person to person. I have to suspect it has something to do with precisely how much virus you come in contact with. But for me it really wasn't a big deal, don't have any visible long term effects so far (knock on wood).
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Re: OT: Tested positive for Covid 19 yesterday.Has anyone on here experienced covid before? 

Post#42 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue May 4, 2021 10:52 pm

My brother is an ER doctor and told us that the most important thing is that you go to the ER as soon as you experience any difficulty breathing. This could be as innocuous as getting light-headed and dizzy from getting up to go to the bathroom.

My brother-in-law (not the guy mentioned above) had it a few months ago and it was pretty brutal. He waited days struggling to breath in bed and let his oxygen saturation level dip to about 80%. He eventually called 9-11 and was taken by ambulance to the ER and was told he had a 20% chance of survival. He spent the next 3 weeks in the hospital being hooked up to a ventilator and carried around an oxygen tank for a month after he was eventually discharged. His his lungs have so much scar tissue that it will be years before he is the same again. He was a big, strong dude before getting sick too.

Anyways, get an oximeter off of Amazon and immediately go to the ER if you have trouble breathing or the oxygen level dips below 90-92%. Your chances of survival are much greater now than at the beginning of the pandemic because doctors know a lot more about the virus. Get well soon and good luck.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,171

Post#43 » by brutalitops » Tue May 4, 2021 11:08 pm

In Australia and the city im in it was pretty limited to people who got off a cruise ship and returning people from overseas. a friend who I play basketball with went from running 10k's a day every second day to barely making 3k's a month after he caught it.

Effects different people, we're all build differently.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,317

Post#44 » by Ckay » Tue May 4, 2021 11:12 pm

Not me but a friend of mine since high school got it and died from it. This is 6th days before Christmas.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,365

Post#45 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Han Solo wrote:Start taking vitamin D. If you have it in the house. Over load on it.

terrible advice. too much vitamin d is harmful for your body.

Taking too much Vitamin D can cause things like Kidney stones. Just take the recommended amount. But definitely don't over do it.

Yes, I can confirm this. I take 1 pill a week.

Also, if you take a sunbath for 15 minutes a day, at least 3 days a week, that's a similar thing as taking vitamin D.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,690

Post#46 » by WarriorGM » Tue May 4, 2021 11:31 pm

Most dangerous part is difficulty breathing—and that can come quite suddenly along with being compelled to hyperventilate. So get anything that might help with that.

Make sure you have enough Tylenol on hand to bring down a fever. Also have some green tea or some herbal tea as someone else mentioned, not just hot water and remember to drink it. The added astringency may help.

Something else you might want to try is to keep good oral health. Brush your teeth more than once a day and gargle with mouthwash if you have the energy. Get an electric toothbrush. It might help to reduce viral load.
HOTCARL_o
Sixth Man
And1: 155

Post#47 » by HOTCARL_o » Tue May 4, 2021 11:36 pm

Pretty sure I had it twice. I remember having a flu but felt different from the flus I had in the past. I couldn’t breathe, body was aching and had a fever. Went to the hospital but this was last year in January where people knew about it but there wasn’t tests yet. This past January tested positive but didn’t feel any symptoms really. I’ve had aunts and uncles pass away from complications from covid.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,548

Post#48 » by Capn'O » Tue May 4, 2021 11:55 pm

HOTCARL_o wrote:Pretty sure I had it twice. I remember having a flu but felt different from the flus I had in the past. I couldn’t breathe, body was aching and had a fever. Went to the hospital but this was last year in January where people knew about it but there wasn’t tests yet. This past January tested positive but didn’t feel any symptoms really. I’ve had aunts and uncles pass away from complications from covid.

Yeah, I had something really weird in December of 2019. The family of one of my daughter's classmates got a "real weird pneumonia" type sickness right before I did. Could be. Won't ever really know.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#49 » by GeorgeSears » Wed May 5, 2021 12:04 am

Symptoms lasted 9-10 days for me: first 4-5 days were typical flu-like symptoms: high fever early on, body aches, then sore throat for a few days. Once the flu-like symptoms subsided, things got a lot worse. I had breathing issues for about 4-5 days where I was unable to take deep breaths. My lung capacity decreased. Due to the breathing difficulties, sleeping became almost non-existent for that stretch mainly because I was so focused on breathing, I couldn't take my mind off of it. If you're in that situation, the best thing to do (other than see a doctor which I foolishly did not) is to find something to take your mind off of it: Play a video game you've never played before, watch a movie, just do something that will distract you for long stretches. Luckily, after the 5th day or so my breathing went back to normal and I haven't had any symptoms. My brother also contracted COVID and he occasionally loses his sense of smell and taste. I'm 28 btw.
Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,956

Post#50 » by Liam_Gallagher » Wed May 5, 2021 12:04 am

Sucks dude. Hopefully you recover like the other 99.97%.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#51 » by Metallikid » Wed May 5, 2021 12:34 am

Rodwilliams wrote:Was exposed Thursday because a family member came over not knowing he had it even though he had cold symptoms. Got tested yesterday and was positive. Main symptom is chills, I feel real cold. I also have off and on coughing. Off and on headaches too. I have asthma and woke up this morning and could barely breathe. My asthma pump helped though. My parents didn’t catch it from my nephew because they have the vaccine. I’m in my 30’s. I know this is non basketball related but just wanted to share this with the realgm family because I feel horrible. Feel tired.

Has anyone on here had covid before? If so how was it, what symptoms did you have?

This is not medical advice. I am taking these supplements and here is some of the research showing their efficacy.

Vitamin D3
Vitamin C
Zinc Gluconate
Quercitin

"The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing and relieving the symptoms of virus-induced respiratory infections"

"Overall, reported flu and cold symptoms in the test group decreased 85% compared with the control group after the administration of megadose Vitamin C."

https://www.jmptonline.org/article/S0161-4754(99)70005-9/fulltext

"Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7761047/

"Low zinc levels at clinical admission associates with poor outcomes in COVID-19"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.07.20208645v1

"In silico and in vitro studies demonstrated that quercetin can interfere with various stages of the coronavirus entry and replication cycle"

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1934578X20976293
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,008

Post#52 » by Loneshot » Wed May 5, 2021 12:35 am

I hope you get well soon. Please drink plenty of water.
TheGameWinner
Veteran
And1: 1,361

Post#53 » by TheGameWinner » Wed May 5, 2021 12:37 am

Metallikid wrote:
Rodwilliams wrote:Was exposed Thursday because a family member came over not knowing he had it even though he had cold symptoms. Got tested yesterday and was positive. Main symptom is chills, I feel real cold. I also have off and on coughing. Off and on headaches too. I have asthma and woke up this morning and could barely breathe. My asthma pump helped though. My parents didn’t catch it from my nephew because they have the vaccine. I’m in my 30’s. I know this is non basketball related but just wanted to share this with the realgm family because I feel horrible. Feel tired.

Has anyone on here had covid before? If so how was it, what symptoms did you have?

This is not medical advice. I am taking these supplements and here is some of the research showing their efficacy.

Vitamin D3
Vitamin C
Zinc Gluconate
Quercitin

"The effectiveness of vitamin C in preventing and relieving the symptoms of virus-induced respiratory infections"

"Overall, reported flu and cold symptoms in the test group decreased 85% compared with the control group after the administration of megadose Vitamin C."

https://www.jmptonline.org/article/S0161-4754(99)70005-9/fulltext

"Vitamin D Insufficiency May Account for Almost Nine of Ten COVID-19 Deaths"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7761047/

"Low zinc levels at clinical admission associates with poor outcomes in COVID-19"

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.07.20208645v1

"In silico and in vitro studies demonstrated that quercetin can interfere with various stages of the coronavirus entry and replication cycle"

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1934578X20976293

most people if they are unhealthy have low vitamin levels unfortunately... once they get healthier, usually goes up... applies to a lot of obese people It's good to get them up, though in any case.

As for advice, STAY HOME - fluids, eat well and if you have trouble breathing call 911.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,273

Post#54 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:44 am

I know of a few people who died or almost died (in their 50s and 60s). I'm in an insanely high risk group myself, so I've been locked up for over a year in my house, waiting patiently for Canada to get vaccines. Amazon and grocery delivery services have been a godsend.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#55 » by Metallikid » Wed May 5, 2021 12:54 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
El Turco wrote:
terrible advice. too much vitamin d is harmful for your body.

Taking too much Vitamin D can cause things like Kidney stones. Just take the recommended amount. But definitely don't over do it.

Yes, I can confirm this. I take 1 pill a week.

Also, if you take a sunbath for 15 minutes a day, at least 3 days a week, that's a similar thing as taking vitamin D.

The Mayo Clinic says, "Taking 60,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity."

Most gummies/pills are 1,000 International Units (IU) and I take at least four a day. The recommended daily amount is very low and Vitamin D deficiency prevalence is quite high in North America.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/vitamin-d-toxicity/faq-20058108
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,228

Post#56 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:59 am

How does COVID compare to Swine Flu from those who have had both? I had Swine in 2009 and it was the worst illness I've ever experienced. I remember taking out the trash a week in and it was a major accomplishment getting off the couch
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#57 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed May 5, 2021 1:12 am

I contracted COVID about 3 1/2 weeks ago now. It started out as a dry cough for two days, and then erupted into just about every symptom: fever over 103, chills, muscle aches, headaches, bowel issues, really bad cough with a phlegm having a bloody tinge, trouble breathing, no taste or smell whatsoever; I dealt with it all for a few days until my oxygen levels worsened, and then I was hospitalized for four days. For me, I had the unfortunate scenario of also contracting an additional lung infection at the same time, so that and COVID really worsened each other. I’ve been sleeping with an oxygen tank until about two days ago now. Been off work for near a month as a result.

Thankfully, I’m loads better now and I’m scheduled to be back at work this coming Monday.

The downside (or plus side, depends how you look at it) is the effect that this has all had on my lungs. I really enjoy smoking shisha and the occasional cigar, but I don’t know what all of this means for that now...

Oh, and my sense of taste and smell is somewhat muted still, and there are certain things that taste very distorted still.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,239

Post#58 » by xdrta+ » Wed May 5, 2021 1:19 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:I contracted COVID about 3 1/2 weeks ago now. It started out as a dry cough for two days, and then erupted into just about every symptom: fever over 103, chills, muscle aches, headaches, bowel issues, really bad cough with a phlegm having a bloody tinge, trouble breathing, no taste or smell whatsoever; I dealt with it all for a few days until my oxygen levels worsened, and then I was hospitalized for four days. For me, I had the unfortunate scenario of also contracting an additional lung infection at the same time, so that and COVID really worsened each other. I’ve been sleeping with an oxygen tank until about two days ago now. Been off work for near a month as a result.

Thankfully, I’m loads better now and I’m scheduled to be back at work this coming Monday.

The downside (or plus side, depends how you look at it) is the effect that this has all had on my lungs. I really enjoy smoking shisha and the occasional cigar, but I don’t know what all of this means for that now...

Oh, and my sense of taste and smell is somewhat muted still, and there are certain things that taste very distorted still.

Yet you didn't die, so why get the vaccine, right? That's what I'm hearing on this forum.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,236

Post#59 » by LAvision » Wed May 5, 2021 1:21 am

Jesus this thread is scary. Im lucky, well I think, that I never got it and 2 days away from full 2nd dose effectiveness.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#60 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:32 am

Liam_Gallagher wrote:Sucks dude. Hopefully you recover like the other 99.97%.
I don't know what you mean by recover, but even if you mean *live,* your percentages are off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board