Will Randle get any support on here for MVP?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,491

Re: Will Randle get any support on here for MVP? 

Post#21 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:35 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Just no. He's got a shot at 3rd team all nba. I'm sure some new york media guy will put him on his MVP ballot, but he's not deserving of it. The sad part is Gobert likely doesn't get much love when he very much should be getting top 5 talk.

Where would you have the Knicks this season without Randle? A shot at the NBA 3rd team would be nice. Maybe even higher. It's not about who is the best. It is who is most valuable to their team. Randle does not have a big 3. He doesn't have a big 2.

The knicks have some good players and they seem to be responding well to their coach. It's hard to play this with you without you game always, but I think they're still playing for the 8 seed if they replaced him with a so so starter of a similar salary.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#22 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:36 pm

cgf wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Just no. He's got a shot at 3rd team all nba. I'm sure some new york media guy will put him on his MVP ballot, but he's not deserving of it. The sad part is Gobert likely doesn't get much love when he very much should be getting top 5 talk.

"A shot at 3rd team all NBA"...you're not trying to imply that he might fail make an all-NBA team, are you?

Yes, I am saying he might not make one. You think the voters are good at this stuff?
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#23 » by ATRAIN53 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:37 pm

Simmons has pointed out a couple of times recently his numbers are historic and deserving of MVP votes. Like same numbers guys have won this award with. Better than Barkleys MVP campaign in 1993.

Personally I think an MVP is secondary to making the Knicks relevant.
I'd rather have relevant Knick basketball than some Podloff trophy in his case.

The NBA is a million times more fun when the Knicks are relevant.
I'd give him the MVP just for that.

However Denver and Jokic have not slowed down since Murry went down - like 9-1 and that is pretty impressive and shows Jokic is deserving. EVERYONE buried and wrote Denver off when Murry went down. EVERYONE.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:40 pm

depends on what you mean by support

Jokic
Steph
Embiid

are the top 3 for sure

then I'd probably go Giannis, Dame...then you can make cases for Gobert and Randle in that 6/7 range as the ceiling in terms of support for MVP.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#25 » by Galloisdaman » Tue May 4, 2021 7:43 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Where would you have the Knicks this season without Randle? A shot at the NBA 3rd team would be nice. Maybe even higher. It's not about who is the best. It is who is most valuable to their team. Randle does not have a big 3. He doesn't have a big 2.

The knicks have some good players and they seem to be responding well to their coach. It's hard to play this with you without you game always, but I think they're still playing for the 8 seed if they replaced him with a so so starter of a similar salary.

They have a few good supporting guys but realistically nobody said much good about the Knicks before the season. Thibs does deserve a ton of credit as well. I do not know if they would have a shot at the 8th seed without Randle. He is their guy. Minutes, points, 3 pointers, rebounds, assists, etc. Randle may not be 1 of the 10 best players in the league but could be higher when it comes to MVP in my opinion.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,829

Post#26 » by Karate Diop » Tue May 4, 2021 7:44 pm

He's not even Top 5 in his own division...
SFour
RealGM
And1: 58,499

Post#27 » by SFour » Tue May 4, 2021 7:53 pm

Jokic is heavy favourite to win it, -800 right now....I'd put Randle in the top 10 though.
HabsAndDubs
Senior
And1: 489

Post#28 » by HabsAndDubs » Tue May 4, 2021 7:55 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

Knicks are currently 6 games above the 8 seed. A player who’s able to contribute 6 additional wins (or like 8 over a regular season) is incredibly valuable, if not just for the fact that right now, the Knicks are on pace to have a home series against Atlanta which is winnable, vs an away series against the sixers or Nets which would end in 5 max. That’s the impact of a transformational player.

Anyways, MVP is Jokic’s to lose, 2/3 for me are Steph and Embiid- former ahead if you value team value and discredit injuries, latter if you look at team record and dominance (case can be made for both players there). After that, I’ve got Randle, then a pick em of Giannis, Dame, Chris Paul, Gobert, etc
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,871

Post#29 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 7:56 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
cgf wrote:

"A shot at 3rd team all NBA"...you're not trying to imply that he might fail make an all-NBA team, are you?

Yes, I am saying he might not make one. You think the voters are good at this stuff?

Some are, some aren't, but the factors that usually cause them to screw up aren't working against Randle...small market, a bigger named team-mate, doing it on a team that isn't good, etc...and it's already a common topic of conversation wrt to Julius; even opposing team's announcers discuss it in more games than not.

Plus with the MIP, he's already going to be on voters' minds...even if there isn't a significant push by the NY media for Julius to make an all-NBA team...so them leaving Randle off of all 3 teams would be genuinely surprising at this point; especially if we hold onto that 4th seed ahead of Miami, Boston & Atlanta.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#30 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 7:57 pm

he deserves a mention for sure but hes not close to jokic or giannis this year or embiid
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,891

Post#31 » by DaGawd » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

Randle is the GOAT
BaF
Washington Wizards
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,871

Post#32 » by cgf » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:depends on what you mean by support

Jokic
Steph
Embiid

are the top 3 for sure

then I'd probably go Giannis, Dame...then you can make cases for Gobert and Randle in that 6/7 range as the ceiling in terms of support for MVP.

If Embiid plays enough games to qualify, I can't argue with that top 3...but I'm not as sure that Dame's case is as secure as you seem to. ATM we are a game ahead of Portland and heading towards a home-playoff series; yes the east is the east, but if Portland was in the east they'd only be one seed higher. When we add in expectations / supporting casts & durability that again tips slightly towards Julius. And it's not like Dame is outplaying Julius by a decisive margin to make up for all that.

Ultimately, Dame is the bigger name & Julius is a lock for MIP, so I agree that voters will probably have Dame ahead of Randle, I'm just not sure they'll be right to do so given the case each one is making this season...and if we're going by what the voters will do there is no reason to mention Gobert.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#33 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 4, 2021 8:11 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

They have a few good supporting guys but realistically nobody said much good about the Knicks before the season. Thibs does deserve a ton of credit as well. I do not know if they would have a shot at the 8th seed without Randle. He is their guy. Minutes, points, 3 pointers, rebounds, assists, etc. Randle may not be 1 of the 10 best players in the league but could be higher when it comes to MVP in my opinion.

Getting them to buy into Thibs is huge and Rose seems to have been a real gem as well. Always hard to judge how a team looks without their top scorers, but volume scoring tends to get over valued. That teams winning on defense.
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#34 » by yellowknifer » Tue May 4, 2021 8:13 pm

Top 10 I think for sure. Maybe top 5 but it's a tough year with a lot of competition. I think he's a lock for MIP.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#35 » by Dave DaButcher » Tue May 4, 2021 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,634

Post#36 » by OdomFan » Tue May 4, 2021 8:38 pm

Nah because Randle isn't a MVP caliber player. However he is a great piece to their current success. Give these Knicks a true MVP caliber player and they'd have a shot at a championship right about now.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 20,075

Post#37 » by blueNorange » Tue May 4, 2021 8:45 pm

anyone saying he shouldn't be in the conversation is simply lost.

elite defense, elite scorer.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
BNM
Analyst
And1: 4,198

Post#38 » by BNM » Tue May 4, 2021 10:58 pm

He won't be top 5 in MVP voting. FWIW, the Kia MVP Ladder currently has him at 8th and basketball-reference doesn't have him in their top 10. Realistically, he'll probably finish in the 8 - 12 range, which is no insult. Jokic came in 9th last season and is the overwhelming favorite this year.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#39 » by BoatsNZones » Tue May 4, 2021 11:03 pm

Nobody will vote him for "MVP" as in #1 of course, but I'm pretty confident he'll make 10%-20% of ballots with 4th or 5th place votes. If I had to guess I'd say he finishes 8th or 9th overall.
Goose egg
Junior
And1: 722

Post#40 » by Goose egg » Wed May 5, 2021 12:07 am

I bet he makes all nba 1st team. Curry luka giannis randle jokic seems pretty certain

Return to The General Board