Which HC jobs open up this offseason?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Which HC job opens this offseason?

ATL
4%
WAS
10%
CLE
8%
ORL
5%
DET
5%
POR
29%
SAC
30%
Other
8%

Total votes: 115

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Re: Which HC jobs open up this offseason? 

Post#41 » by Bad-Thoma » Tue May 4, 2021 10:40 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Well I don't believe that to be true. A couple months ago Indiana fans were bombarding the internet welcoming Brad Stevens as their new coach because the rumor was it was already a done deal. And then turns out that was not remotely true either. Just unfounded nonsense based in wishful thinking.

It is 100% true. They would probably be in discussions right now if it wasn't for Roy Williams and MJ strongholding/blackmailing UNC into Davis as HC.

Ok man you win. The evidence is overwhelming lol.

What do you mean? A guy on the internet heard from UNC's athletic department that Brad's wife was calling about the job. What more do you need?
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,430

Post#42 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:41 pm

Buzzard wrote:I went Atlanta, Portland, Sacramento. I'm not sold McMillan will be back. I hope he does come back but think there could be some ill will with the Pierce firing. I am not sure McMillan appreciated being stuck in the middle.

I do think this Hawks team is potentially the most talented he has ever had. It could also be his best shot at getting to the next level. Depending on the continued growth, future picks, signings, and trades.

My advice to McMillan: When you're kinda obsolete, don't leave a place that's happy to have you. Him being able to come in and outperform another coach is absolute gold for him continuing to stick around.

Now, that's assuming that Atlanta wants to keep him, but if the Hawks move on to another coach and struggle, then Schlenk is probably the next head to roll. Were I Schlenk, I'd probably stick with McMillan to build fundamentals until the team hits a ceiling under him.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,616

Post#43 » by jehosafats » Tue May 4, 2021 10:43 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Mighty Quinn wrote:Van Gundy will almost certainly be on the chopping block if the Flamingos know what's good for them.

Not after one year during which Zion has taken a clear step forward.

I do understand being underwhelmed by Van Gundy's performance, but every time a GM fires a coach, he puts himself closer to the chopping block. Van Gundy's almost certainly safe for now.

I don't expect that to happen. Just saying, Van Gundy coached some rough and tumble teams. Pelicans are finesse ball, all over. The one exception is Zion.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#44 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:49 pm

Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:
Then why was his wife calling UNC over the last 2 months. The same time that he turned down the Indiana offer???

Well I don't believe that to be true. A couple months ago Indiana fans were bombarding the internet welcoming Brad Stevens as their new coach because the rumor was it was already a done deal. And then turns out that was not remotely true either. Just unfounded nonsense based in wishful thinking.

It is 100% true. They would probably be in discussions right now if it wasn't for Roy Williams and MJ strongholding/blackmailing UNC into Davis as HC.

I think I'm confused. UNC just got a new coach and you're convinced that Stevens is going to go there anyway?

I also think it's strange the idea that anyone of Stevens stature would want to go back to the minors when he could get another NBA job with ease, but I'll grant it's at least possible if he's putting family above career.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#45 » by Doctor MJ » Tue May 4, 2021 10:50 pm

Mighty Quinn wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
Mighty Quinn wrote:Van Gundy will almost certainly be on the chopping block if the Flamingos know what's good for them.

Not after one year during which Zion has taken a clear step forward.

I do understand being underwhelmed by Van Gundy's performance, but every time a GM fires a coach, he puts himself closer to the chopping block. Van Gundy's almost certainly safe for now.

I don't expect that to happen. Just saying, Van Gundy coached some rough and tumble teams. Pelicans are finesse ball, all over. The one exception is Zion.

Zion's also the only thing that matters. Would be wise to trade Ingram now if he doesn't fit.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,256

Post#46 » by cupcakesnake » Tue May 4, 2021 10:56 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
You do realize that good coaches can become bad coaches over time right? There’s a reason why guys like Mike Brown, Larry Brown, George Karl have essentially been blacklisted from head coaching gigs in the NBA… doesn’t take away from previous accomplishments, but they didn’t exactly have glorious exits because they couldn’t adapt.. . Same thing is happening with Rick. The same coach that broke Lebron brain in 2011 isnt exactly the same coach today that expects Dwight Powell to contain Embiid in 2021. He never changed with the times and it’s why Dallas is headed for another swift 1st round exit

Yeah, sure. Lots of great coaches don't change with the times (Phil Jackson), others egos eventually burn enough bridges that they can't find an NBA job (Karl, L.Brown). But explain how that's Carlisle? What evidence of "not changing with the times" do you have on Carlisle? Dwight Powell guarding Embiid in the regular season isn't exactly nailing Carlisle's coffin shut. Is there something super old school he does that used to work, but doesn't anymore? I see Carlisle's main skill as being forward-thinking and adaptable. Those kinds of coaches tend to stick around if they want to. After butting heads with some ball-handling guards (Rondo, Mayo), Carlisle seems to have chilled out and decided to let Luka do whatever he wants.

I expect the Mavericks to lose in the first round this year. Not because Carlisle can't get them out of the first round, but because they'll most likely end up playing a better team (Nuggets, Clippers) without homecourt advantage. Because the Mavs aren't an amazing roster yet, and also a young team. We judge coaches by how they perform based on the expectations of each season. The Dallas Mavericks, mostly because they made many efforts to build a pseudo winner while Dirk was still around, have stayed a treadmill team for a while. Only since drafting Luka (and Dirk retiring) have they started making meaningful efforts to build a new, post-Dirk, championship-level roster. Last year I fully expected Doncic to get blitzed by Kawhi/PG, and for the Mavericks to get swept. Especially when Porzingis went down. Instead, they were plucky and flashed some real playoff teeth. Carlisle outcoached Rivers, Doncic went toe to toe with Kawhi, and it was a real series. That was pretty cool.

You sound like you've been frustrated with the Mavs being stuck in the first round (at best) since 2012. That's fair!( but other teams have it worse.) I'm just not in any way convinced that this is a coaching problem. Mavs always seem extremely well-coached. I think, if Carlisle did quit, and the first hire doesn't work out incredibly, you might realize how good you had it. I'm a T-Wolves fan, we'd KILL for a coach like Carlisle. We haven't had a good coach since Flip Saunders, and I don't consider him ever being on Carlisle's level as a 2-way coach or a guy who maximized the players on his roster. Having coaching stability is a rare thing and you don't throw that away lightly to enter the coaching carousel. You might end up going through 8 coaches in 6 years like half the teams in this league do.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#47 » by clyde21 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:21 pm

Beethoven wrote:Im suspecting Vogel as well, after this debacle of a season, and if it continues on into next season.

0 chance Vogel gets fired this offseason
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,782

Post#48 » by CobraCommander » Tue May 4, 2021 11:25 pm

Why not Brooks? Because Westbrook refuses to drive the tank that’s why. Westbrook the wiz coach too
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#49 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 11:29 pm

CraftylikeaFox wrote:Luke Walton for sure. The guy came into coaching thinking he was the next Phil Jackson. He’d probably make a really desirable assistant coach going forward but he has no actual idea how to get a team to play effectively.

kings have played well as of late but there not close enough to the play in . I think hes fired.
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#50 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 11:31 pm

Beethoven wrote:Im suspecting Vogel as well, after this debacle of a season, and if it continues on into next season.

no way if they make good run hes more than fine. Hes had some bad line ups but hes adjusted decently .
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#51 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:32 pm

Trey24 wrote:Well I know Brad Stevens wife called about the UNC opening, so I am going to go with him if the Celtics lose first round (or get eliminated in the play in).

100% Celtics won’t fire stevens in this covid year even if the team disappoints and 2) I really doubt you know that stevens wife called about the Carolina job. If he did he’d have been hired
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#52 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 11:33 pm

Boston not firing brad and brad not quitting .
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#53 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue May 4, 2021 11:33 pm

Trey24 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

I have no idea of it is public knowledge or not, I heard it from the UNC athletic department. While I can't prove it is "fact", it just is lol

100% bull. You’re ad is wrong or lying to you homey
Ballerhogger
RealGM

Post#54 » by Ballerhogger » Tue May 4, 2021 11:36 pm

theres nothing on the web that says shes done that it woudl front page news
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#55 » by Buzzard » Tue May 4, 2021 11:51 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I went Atlanta, Portland, Sacramento. I'm not sold McMillan will be back. I hope he does come back but think there could be some ill will with the Pierce firing. I am not sure McMillan appreciated being stuck in the middle.

I do think this Hawks team is potentially the most talented he has ever had. It could also be his best shot at getting to the next level. Depending on the continued growth, future picks, signings, and trades.

My advice to McMillan: When you're kinda obsolete, don't leave a place that's happy to have you. Him being able to come in and outperform another coach is absolute gold for him continuing to stick around.

Now, that's assuming that Atlanta wants to keep him, but if the Hawks move on to another coach and struggle, then Schlenk is probably the next head to roll. Were I Schlenk, I'd probably stick with McMillan to build fundamentals until the team hits a ceiling under him.

Rumor was McMillan wanted some time off and was not 100% into the idea of jumping back into coaching. He has been a head coach 16 years. I've no doubt he has a pretty penny to retire on if he wants.

It will be interesting; but barring a total melt down in his relationship with Hawks management and ownership, I think the job is his if he wants it.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#56 » by The_Hater » Tue May 4, 2021 11:53 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Dallas would make me so happy :pray:

Getting rid of a top coach rarely improves a team. Call me crazy.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,814

Post#57 » by dirkforpres » Wed May 5, 2021 12:39 am

The_Hater wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Dallas would make me so happy :pray:

Getting rid of a top coach rarely improves a team. Call me crazy.

You want to see what a top coach looks like? Watch the Heat-Mavs game tonight and see what Spoelstra does to “top coach” Rick Carlisle even without his best player
FIRE JASON KIDD
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,629

Post#58 » by kg01 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:48 pm

Dang, smells like the poll should've included IND.
king01 :king:
Pantsman
Veteran
And1: 3,733

Post#59 » by Pantsman » Wed May 5, 2021 4:32 pm

Milwaukee should. Bud is a great regular season coach but his game plans and scheme in the playoffs is terrible. They won’t win anything while he’s there.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#60 » by Celts17Pride » Wed May 5, 2021 4:40 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Trey24 wrote:

What do you mean? A guy on the internet heard from UNC's athletic department that Brad's wife was calling about the job. What more do you need?

Internet never lies!

Return to The General Board