ImageImageImageImageImage

Jeff VanGundy: "Now comes the hard part".

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Jeff VanGundy: "Now comes the hard part". 

Post#1 » by Zenzibar » Tue May 4, 2021 6:26 pm

Here’s the hard part for the Knicks: Jeff Van Gundy

NY Post

Here’s the hard part for the Knicks: Jeff Van Gundy

By Ian O'Connor

May 3, 2021 | 9:28pm

More from:Ian O'Connor
: Derrick Rose turns back clock amid amazing Knicks.

Jeff Van Gundy was on the phone Monday with a reminder that Pat Riley had an expression for the team-building step that aligns with today’s Knicks. The innocent climb, Riley called it.

The guilty pleasure might be more fitting.

“Oh, the Finals,” he said with more than a trace of incredulity. “If Durant, Harden, Irving, Embiid, Simmons and Antetokounmpo are all in the same building and crash into each other, then maybe.

“But could they win a first-round series? Absolutely. And if they win a first-round series, are you not just one tweaked ankle away from having that next series be a little more even? Yeah, you are.

Full article here.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/03/heres-the-hard-part-for-the-knicks-jeff-van-gundy/
Stop All Genocides
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Re: Jeff VanGundy: "Now comes the hard part". 

Post#2 » by Polk377 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:39 pm

What I love is that from the start this team has been about focusing on 1 game at a time. Thibs has this team in a great mindset where it doesn't matter what the teams record is we are playing. Focus on the specific gameplan and play hard, thats it. If they play like that the Knicks can beat anyone.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,223

Post#3 » by Jalen Bluntson » Tue May 4, 2021 6:41 pm

The hard part is waiting for the next game!!!
:beer: RIP mags
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#4 » by sol537 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:46 pm

I don't think the talent & experience is quite there yet to get past a 2nd round opponent, but I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised!
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,578

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Tue May 4, 2021 6:53 pm

I agree in part. It's very difficult to go from a good team to a great one. That said, resisting the urge to skip steps early was a huge step for the franchise and it's a big reason why the team has turned it around.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Hes_On_Fire
Head Coach
And1: 9,286

Post#6 » by Hes_On_Fire » Tue May 4, 2021 7:00 pm

“But if you look at the home-run hitters other teams have, you don’t have nearly enough for what you want to be,” Van Gundy said. “You can still be proud of what this team ultimately accomplishes, but you can’t hamstring yourself with pretty good players. You’ve got to find some greatness.”

Van Gundy says it perfectly for the people looking to re-sign everyone.
New York Knicks franchise W-L record as of 9/2/22 since James L Dolan assumed full ownership (2001):

673-1,007
Futureisnow
Head Coach
And1: 1,272

Post#7 » by Futureisnow » Tue May 4, 2021 7:06 pm

Obvious statement is obvious? Of course, it's difficult to go from "good" to "great." You know what's even harder? Going from abysmal and supposedly being deemed a team that "Star's don't want to play for" with a terrible front office and equally terrible owner, to being a team that's stable, competent, well coached, well-positioned for the future cap-wise and in terms of the draft and whose owner hasn't been heard from in months.
sol537
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#8 » by sol537 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:35 pm

Keep RJ & Randle. Sign a guy like Lonzo even if it's a S&T. Then consolidate assets for a 3rd wheel all-star. That gives you four competent, young players. Then see if guys like Rose, Bullock, and Noel are willing to stick around on fair deals 1-2 year deals.

Not sure who that 3rd wheel could be... Lavine? KAT? (not a huge fan of the fit)... sounds like WASH may keep Beal/Westbrook together another season. Maybe Dame Dolla?
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,289

Post#9 » by Chanel Bomber » Tue May 4, 2021 7:40 pm

Greatness can also be found within but require a little bit of patience.

I'm keeping IQ and RJ no matter what.

The Knicks have the assets to bring in another star to play alongside those two and Randle. It ain't worth it if either one of them has to go in my view.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#10 » by Dave DaButcher » Tue May 4, 2021 7:52 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Greatness can also be found within but require a little bit of patience.

The Knicks have the assets to bring in another star to play alongside those two and Randle. It ain't worth if either one of them has to go in my view.

Yes, anyone who even suggests trading RJ should have their Knicks fandom card immediately revoked. And IQ is looking more untouchable by the day as well.
Read on Twitter
?s=21
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,413

Post#11 » by JXL » Tue May 4, 2021 7:56 pm

1) Lose Elfrid -> Trade for SGA. He's on the cusp of stardom, and he's a better fit for this team. Canadian teammate for RJ, Kentucky alum.

2) Extend Julius this summer. He's earned it, and he wanted to be better and take on the responsibility of this city.

3) This is the summer for Obi and IQ to get to Summer League and extend their wings and they can get better. I don't believe they should change the bench greatly, but that only happens if Burks and Noel are outpriced.

4) In the draft, get mature young wing players. Zhaire Williams and josh Giddey are my picks.

5) I hope Bricklyn loses in the Conference Finals.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#12 » by blue and orange » Wed May 5, 2021 1:47 am

Just keep building it, and save your wad for the greater good. Would be ideal for RJ and IQ to be star players or at least one of them.
nyknicks09
RealGM
And1: 3,215

Post#13 » by nyknicks09 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:01 am

I’m loving the winning culture for a change and we need the playoffs experience.

Jeff is right with that comment cause is a whole new season once the playoffs start and it doesn’t get any easier so let’s hope the young Knicks are ready mentally and physically.

We have the experience at PG and some at center but I don’t think is enough to make a strong push to ECF. It’ll be ironic if we win the 1st round and meet the Nets in the 2nd round :lol:

I’m excited to watch Knicks basketball in the playoffs.

Worry about the off-season after the playoffs.
New York Knicks
blue and orange
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,003

Post#14 » by blue and orange » Wed May 5, 2021 2:06 am

nyknicks09 wrote:I’m loving the winning culture for a change and we need the playoffs experience.

Jeff is right with that comment cause is a whole new season once the playoffs start and it doesn’t get any easier so let’s hope the young Knicks are ready mentally and physically.

We have the experience at PG and some at center but I don’t think is enough to make a strong push to ECF. It’ll be ironic if we win the 1st round and meet the Nets in the 2nd round :lol:

I’m excited to watch Knicks basketball in the playoffs.

Worry about the off-season after the playoffs.

Thats it as they say you gotta go throughout that experience and heart break in the playoffs, just enjoy the day to day process and live in the moment.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,396

Post#15 » by god shammgod » Wed May 5, 2021 2:24 am

Dave DaButcher wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:Greatness can also be found within but require a little bit of patience.

The Knicks have the assets to bring in another star to play alongside those two and Randle. It ain't worth if either one of them has to go in my view.

Yes, anyone who even suggests trading RJ should have their Knicks fandom card immediately revoked. And IQ is looking more untouchable by the day as well.
Read on Twitter
?s=21

yep. iq is really great. do you believe that mpharris was asking for him to pulled during the game yesterday ? really terrible person. awful. no good.
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,787

Post#16 » by Adelheid » Wed May 5, 2021 2:38 am

From culcha to culture is quite an accomplishment for the Knicks, really. Baby steps.

Maybe it is too early to proclaim, but Leon Rose earns kudos for steering this franchise in the right direction.
smw6230
Senior
And1: 263

Post#17 » by smw6230 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:46 am

If I were Leon I'd do what I did last year. Focus on internal player development RJ, IQ, Obi, Mitch Rob, and your draft pick (maybe trade up for 1 sure player). I would have minimal interest in Lonzo or any big ticket FA this year.

Let the team play another year. Was 2021 a mirage? Or was it a foundational year. The answer doesn't really matter I'm playing for time. Another year of adding assets and watching the landscape.

2022 is when I'd strike. 2022 has some nice FA but at that point the intentions of 2023 FAs should be more clear and some teams may have their hands forced. That's the scenario where the timing syncs-up and you could sign a 2022 max FA and then make a blockbuster trade for 2023 guy that won't re-sign with their team.
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,223

Post#18 » by Jalen Bluntson » Wed May 5, 2021 3:25 am

smw6230 wrote:If I were Leon I'd do what I did last year. Focus on internal player development RJ, IQ, Obi, Mitch Rob, and your draft pick (maybe trade up for 1 sure player). I would have minimal interest in Lonzo or any big ticket FA this year.

Let the team play another year. Was 2021 a mirage? Or was it a foundational year. The answer doesn't really matter I'm playing for time. Another year of adding assets and watching the landscape.

2022 is when I'd strike. 2022 has some nice FA but at that point the intentions of 2023 FAs should be more clear and some teams may have their hands forced. That's the scenario where the timing syncs-up and you could sign a 2022 max FA and then make a blockbuster trade for 2023 guy that won't re-sign with their team.

Yeah...this summer the FA class is dry. No need to go all in on any player. I hate the idea of trying to trade away the farm for the next key piece. Need to strike on a young player or get lucky on some redemption level player like we have with Rose/Bullock. Trading up in this draft is a smart move if possible.

It sucks that FA is trash this summer but...we have cap space and many picks the coming years. Smart moves can be made and just rick in a holding pattern while you assess exactly how good the foundational players are.
:beer: RIP mags
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,443

Post#19 » by cgmw » Wed May 5, 2021 4:22 am

smw6230 wrote:If I were Leon I'd do what I did last year. Focus on internal player development RJ, IQ, Obi, Mitch Rob, and your draft pick (maybe trade up for 1 sure player). I would have minimal interest in Lonzo or any big ticket FA this year.

This would be amazing, but my PTSDolan tells me Leon strikes this summer.

And in his defense, there’s logic to making moves while we’re still a hot commodity. The timing on Randle’s extension also seems to matter, as does Mitch’s next deal and how to reward Rose/Bullock and maybe Burks without over reaching.

I hate to be that guy, but the way Thibs works Randle and RJ, it’s only a matter of time before one of them suffers a major setback. Nothing is guaranteed and I’d be surprised if Leon doesn’t attempt something splashy this summer.
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#20 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed May 5, 2021 4:49 am

I think we're going to make a trade this off season with our draft picks and Obi. We're obviously going to extend Julius Randle so there's no place for Obi on this team. He's way to scrawny to play center even in a small ball lineup.
Free Palestine

Return to New York Knicks