ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Re: Playoff Push Thread 

Post#101 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 3, 2021 5:41 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Yeah, but 7 or 8 only have to win one game. 9 or 10 have to win 2.

Have to win two...instead of one....yep.

But that's not my point. My point is the Warriors were given a very easy stretch to close out the season and show everyone they are an above average team. They start off losing by 30 to Dallas, losing to the Kings...
If they lose 2 of 3 to Pels, for example, then who exactly are they better than?
Nothing at all suggests that we'd see decent hoops from a team that loses to a bunch of below average teams while trying to get into the playoffs :(

not to quibble and it was ugly but the Warriors beat the Kings. This team is so beat up with injuries that I don't think any game is a gimme at this point even with the easier schedule. I think the Warriors would struggle to score against any decent playoff team.

No worries....I realized I meant the Wolves but too lazy to go back and correct.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#102 » by ILOVEIT » Mon May 3, 2021 5:43 pm

Forget Curry, Draymond and the rest.

Wiggins is the key, IMO, to having any playin success. What a great story it would be if he raised his game to push the Warriors into the 8th seed.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#103 » by migya » Tue May 4, 2021 2:24 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Forget Curry, Draymond and the rest.

Wiggins is the key, IMO, to having any playin success. What a great story it would be if he raised his game to push the Warriors into the 8th seed.

With the schedule and how the team is winning they might take the 7th or 8th seed, maybe leapfrogging the Lakers and Blazers. They'd be a huge success.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#104 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:56 am

They could both lose a lot of games

Lakers schedule
Clippers
@Blazers (b2b)
Suns
Knicks
Rockets (b2b)
@Pacers
@Pelicans (b2b)

Blazers schedule
@Cavs
Lakers
Spurs (b2b)
Rocket
@Jazz
@ Suns (b2b)
Nuggets
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#105 » by vagelis » Tue May 4, 2021 9:02 am

At least Warriors assured the play in spot with the win against Pelicans.
If we could stay above 8th seed that would be nice because we will have 2 chances to get one win and be in playoffs.
I think it is huge for Warriors with all these injuries to get in the playoffs this year.
I also think that no team wants Warriors in a first round series. If Warriors had a defensive center they could go very far in playoffs in my opinion
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#106 » by HiRez » Tue May 4, 2021 10:16 pm

You want to make a dent in this year's playoffs? Oubre, Wiseman, and our 2021 pick (or Minnesota pick if that's not enough) for Christian Wood and Avery Bradley, let's go. (No, I have no idea if that trade is allowed to happen, but the salaries match up).
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#107 » by whatisacenter » Tue May 4, 2021 11:09 pm

HiRez wrote:You want to make a dent in this year's playoffs? Oubre, Wiseman, and our 2021 pick (or Minnesota pick if that's not enough) for Christian Wood and Avery Bradley, let's go. (No, I have no idea if that trade is allowed to happen, but the salaries match up).

So you want to go back in time before the trade deadline and make the awful, IMO, trade?

Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
HiRez
RealGM

Post#108 » by HiRez » Wed May 5, 2021 12:16 am

whatisacenter wrote:
HiRez wrote:You want to make a dent in this year's playoffs? Oubre, Wiseman, and our 2021 pick (or Minnesota pick if that's not enough) for Christian Wood and Avery Bradley, let's go. (No, I have no idea if that trade is allowed to happen, but the salaries match up).

So you want to go back in time before the trade deadline and make the awful, IMO, trade?

Well, I don't think it's terrible. Wood is right now much better than Wiseman, and likely will be for at least the next 2-3 years (when Steph, Klay, and Draymond will be declining if not retiring). If you want to go anywhere in the playoffs this year (which is what this thread is about), you need an upgrade. Furthermore, both our own pick and Minnesota's pick are getting worse by the day. Ours is likely a mid-round pick and Minnesota's is likely to be in the #6-#8 range so you can probably forget about Mobley, Cade, Suggs, Green, Kuminga. Obviously I would try to use our own pick and keep the MIN pick if possible.

Wood, Draymond, Wiggins, Curry and Scrub Of The Day is not a terrible starting lineup, gives us a shot at least as long as Steph continues to dominate. Right now we're in trouble against AD, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, Embiid, etc., that's where Wood will help a ton. He's a rim defender, strong rebounder, and is shooting over 37% of 5 3 attempts per game, dimensions we do not have right now. And Bradley would be very useful mixing in.

The Rockets are a team going nowhere fast (they're now literally the worst team in basketball), they probably won't mind taking on some draft picks and promising but not-yet-ready rookies.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#109 » by cpower » Wed May 5, 2021 2:25 am

we will be the 10th seed. no other way around this. And there is like 10% we will win 2 games in a row with the way we are playing right now
Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Post#110 » by Kuya » Wed May 5, 2021 2:37 am

We suck at stringing together wins
ILOVEIT
RealGM

Post#111 » by ILOVEIT » Wed May 5, 2021 3:06 am

cpower wrote:we will be the 10th seed. no other way around this. And there is like 10% we will win 2 games in a row with the way we are playing right now

Don't worry...NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW we REALLY have an easy schedule lol.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#112 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 5, 2021 4:20 am

HiRez wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

Well, I don't think it's terrible. Wood is right now much better than Wiseman, and likely will be for at least the next 2-3 years (when Steph, Klay, and Draymond will be declining if not retiring). If you want to go anywhere in the playoffs this year (which is what this thread is about), you need an upgrade. Furthermore, both our own pick and Minnesota's pick are getting worse by the day. Ours is likely a mid-round pick and Minnesota's is likely to be in the #6-#8 range so you can probably forget about Mobley, Cade, Suggs, Green, Kuminga. Obviously I would try to use our own pick and keep the MIN pick if possible.

Wood, Draymond, Wiggins, Curry and Scrub Of The Day is not a terrible starting lineup, gives us a shot at least as long as Steph continues to dominate. Right now we're in trouble against AD, Jokic, Gobert, Ayton, Embiid, etc., that's where Wood will help a ton. He's a rim defender, strong rebounder, and is shooting over 37% of 5 3 attempts per game, dimensions we do not have right now. And Bradley would be very useful mixing in.

The Rockets are a team going nowhere fast (they're now literally the worst team in basketball), they probably won't mind taking on some draft picks and promising but not-yet-ready rookies.

I guess I'm more confused about your trade proposal being after the deadline and talking about adding Wood for the playoffs this year. Are you suggesting an offseason trade including an Oubre S&T? While I agree that Wood would be a good fit, I think trading Wiseman and picks for him is too much.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
HiRez
RealGM

Post#113 » by HiRez » Wed May 5, 2021 5:05 am

whatisacenter wrote:
HiRez wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

I guess I'm more confused about your trade proposal being after the deadline and talking about adding Wood for the playoffs this year. Are you suggesting an offseason trade including an Oubre S&T? While I agree that Wood would be a good fit, I think trading Wiseman and picks for him is too much.

Yeah, you're right, if he's ineligible for post-season because of the deadline, I guess there's little point to it right now. I'd want Wood for this year's playoffs, but would definitely want to keep him long term. I'd only give up 1 of our 2 picks, preferring the lower one (ours) of course. While I like Wiseman as a long term prospect, he's expendable with Wood. Wish we had made that move before the deadline, but I might still consider it in the offseason (substituting a picked player or future pick). Maybe Wiseman is ready to contribute next year but I wouldn't put money on it. I don't want to ship him out but I don't want to waste Steph's final seasons waiting on him to develop either. Steph needs help and I don't think just Klay (even if healthy) is enough.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#114 » by and1GS » Wed May 5, 2021 5:11 am

I think Wood is fantastic. If Wiseman became Wood, most would be OK with that outcome. But IMO his ceiling and floor are much higher and much lower, respectively. It's a gamble.

Let's also keep in mind that Wood missed a significant chunk of the season, much like Wise, and is in his first year starting. He could grow more or the injuries could multiply. He's not entirely a known quantity yet, but hard to deny the skill.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#115 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed May 5, 2021 5:45 am

Team is burning out, steph wiggs, and dray are running on fumes.

I cant blame kerr too much because when he looks at the bench, he sees 2 unplayables and 2 unused roster spots.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#116 » by The-Power » Wed May 5, 2021 10:24 am

Wood has become really overrated. Fine player, sure, but not worth premium assets we have.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#117 » by TB » Wed May 5, 2021 4:44 pm

Sure feels like we are down to the 8 or 9 unless Blazers really collapse or Spurs pull off a great run against a tough schedule.

Going to be tougher than expected to hold the 8 seed. Mostly because we haven't proven to be capable of taking advantage of an easy schedule, and Memphis also has a really easy schedule left.

If we do snag the 8 seed, I like our chances of getting into playoffs. If we drop to 9... I don't like our chances of winning 2 in a row. Should be a fun couple weeks.
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#118 » by Sleepy51 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:17 pm

So about that 36 mpg limit on Steph…

I loved how everyone just decided that was Kerr trying to control the rotations and lineups and not a consultative decision by probably the entire basketball operation including Steph and his own physical wellness advisors. Steph has become notorious as the guy who runs the fastest/farthest in the league every game. It stands to reason that they just might have sports scienced the s :censored: out of this decision to keep him playing at an optimal physical level for the 36 minutes he is on the court. Between injury risk and the history of Steph being worn down at the end of the year and the compressed schedule of this season, maybe just maybe the collaborative and well considered minutes limitation was a good idea and not just about the naked pictures Wannamaker had?
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
SamuraiAttack
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#119 » by SamuraiAttack » Wed May 5, 2021 5:23 pm

cpower wrote:we will be the 10th seed. no other way around this. And there is like 10% we will win 2 games in a row with the way we are playing right now

this makes no sense.. we have an easy ass schedule. we will be 8th seed easily
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#120 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed May 5, 2021 5:29 pm

Sleepy51 wrote:So about that 36 mpg limit on Steph…

I loved how everyone just decided that was Kerr trying to control the rotations and lineups and not a consultative decision by probably the entire basketball operation including Steph and his own physical wellness advisors. Steph has become notorious as the guy who runs the fastest/farthest in the league every game. It stands to reason that they just might have sports scienced the s :censored: out of this decision to keep him playing at an optimal physical level for the 36 minutes he is on the court. Between injury risk and the history of Steph being worn down at the end of the year and the compressed schedule of this season, maybe just maybe the collaborative and well considered minutes limitation was a good idea and not just about the naked pictures Wannamaker had?

A sort of related, sort of unrelated question, is it still optimal to have Steph play the entire 1st and 3rd quarters? It looks to me like he gets a little worn down at the end of the quarters particularly since at that point he's dealing with fresh-legged bench players whose only focus is defending him as vigorously and physically as possible. If he was taken out earlier he might have more in the tank to finish games which could make a big difference.

OTOH, simply adding Klay would dramatically reduce his responsibilities and the amount of running and punishment he would absorb.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.

Return to Golden State Warriors