ImageImageImageImageImage

Race for 7th Worst Record!! - We Did It!!!!!

ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Re: Play In Race!! - 7 Games Remaining 

Post#121 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 4, 2021 2:45 pm

Play-in is a great idea, but only for 8th. Leave the 7 seed alone. Tie lotto odds directly to win % and not ranking, and freeze at the end of the regular season.
Tacoma
Head Coach
And1: 4,887

Re: Play In Race!! 

Post#122 » by Tacoma » Tue May 4, 2021 3:06 pm

SuppaSlick wrote:
MainEvent wrote:
SuppaSlick wrote:You would rather league wide tanking for picks instead of more competitive games?

I would rather not hear all this play-in talk with a team that's 11 games under .500

I noticed you never answered my question lol

I gotta assume you would rather teams resting their entire starting lineup to maximize draft odds which would have been happening to Washington, Toronto, Chicago, spurs and pelicans....

That's the point of the play in... To actually create an incentive to keep playing down the stretch...

If that's the point of the play-in, then it has failed. The play-in has made tanking worse. Before you only had teams in the 7-10 spots potentially tanking to avoid the playoffs; now the 11-12 spots also have to tank to avoid the play-in into the playoffs.

Not only that... the teams that make the play-in because they failed the regular season tank might decide to keep their lottery hopes alive, they should also tank their play-in game. So imagine 4 teams all trying to lose their play-in game to miss the playoffs. It would make the NBA a joke!
Kid Canada
Sixth Man
And1: 104

Post#123 » by Kid Canada » Tue May 4, 2021 4:56 pm

The play in should just be 8 vs 9 best 2 out of 3.
mintsa
Head Coach
And1: 3,745

Post#124 » by mintsa » Tue May 4, 2021 5:01 pm

Who has the tie breaker between Toronto and Indiana?
t54zhao
Junior
And1: 580

Post#125 » by t54zhao » Tue May 4, 2021 5:13 pm

mintsa wrote:Who has the tie breaker between Toronto and Indiana?

We're tied right now.

Our very last game of the season is against Indiana
My challenge to the Vaccine truthers, make a prediction and sig it.
Mine: In 2023, rates of heart attacks & strokes amongst vaccinated people, never infected with COVID will be similar (+-5%) when compared to people of same age in 2018.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Re: Play In Race!! 

Post#126 » by ATLTimekeeper » Tue May 4, 2021 5:13 pm

Tacoma wrote:
If that's the point of the play-in, then it has failed. The play-in has made tanking worse. Before you only had teams in the 7-10 spots potentially tanking to avoid the playoffs; now the 11-12 spots also have to tank to avoid the play-in into the playoffs.

Not only that... the teams that make the play-in because they failed the regular season tank might decide to keep their lottery hopes alive, they should also tank their play-in game. So imagine 4 teams all trying to lose their play-in game to miss the playoffs. It would make the NBA a joke!

I don't see any evidence of the bubble playoff teams tanking to avoid the play-in. The Raptors have rested a lot of guys that might be considered good enough to play, but they've been competing in those games, which makes them entertaining.

Chicago were buyers at the deadline, they've just been losing. Washington is clearly going for it as one of the hottest teams in the league. Indiana, still very much going for it.

Since the trade deadline, there are only 7 really uncompetitive teams. Chicago, Detroit, Sacramento, Cleveland, Houston, Orlando, OKC. As mentioned, Chicago were buyers. Sacramento were buyers. Their uncompetitiveness isn't tied to tanking practices, they just stink. Detroit, Houston, Cleveland, Orlando all stunk before the deadline. OKC was really the only team that overtly tanked and threw games by putting uncompetitive line-ups on the court when they could have made a push for the play-in.

There might be a ridiculous scenario as you painted where teams try and lose that last game to avoid the play-in, but the league can easily tweak that by preserving the lottery status prior to the play-in in the future. It's an easy fix. I think the proposal came together quickly, likely pushed by the television people and hastily agreed on by owners.
mintsa
Head Coach

Post#127 » by mintsa » Tue May 4, 2021 8:55 pm

t54zhao wrote:
mintsa wrote:Who has the tie breaker between Toronto and Indiana?

We're tied right now.

Our very last game of the season is against Indiana

Oh my !!!

Could imagine. Last game of the season winner goes to the play in.....lol

This board would explode !
milkii
Rookie
And1: 835

Post#128 » by milkii » Wed May 5, 2021 4:33 am

It's over. Play in race is done
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,760

Post#129 » by Basketball_Jones » Wed May 5, 2021 4:34 am

There’s still hope guys. Fred and Siakam are looking like stars again. Just stop sitting Lowry he is key to our championship run this season
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
SurgeIblocka
Head Coach
And1: 5,255

Post#130 » by SurgeIblocka » Wed May 5, 2021 5:02 am

Coin Toss Nurse with all those extra wins that won’t amount to nothing other than being further down in the draft.
Ref_from_hell
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,712

Post#131 » by Ref_from_hell » Wed May 5, 2021 5:15 am

Assuming the wizards lose tomorrow to the Bucs and we beat them on Thursday, that would put us 2 back.

I think if anything the Pacers have the hardest schedule left. Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped.

I guess we will know where coaching and management are depending on who plays on Thursday. If we have a near full roster, that should indicate whether we are trying to win or lose
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#132 » by Steelo Green » Wed May 5, 2021 10:19 am

Play in would be good for a team peaking late thats young, up and coming, or a great team that gets a major star injured who comes back late into the season.

The bad teams like us have no incentive for play in’s.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#133 » by pingpongrac » Wed May 5, 2021 10:37 am

Ref_from_hell wrote:Assuming the wizards lose tomorrow to the Bucs and we beat them on Thursday, that would put us 2 back.

I think if anything the Pacers have the hardest schedule left. Wouldn't be surprised if they dropped.

I guess we will know where coaching and management are depending on who plays on Thursday. If we have a near full roster, that should indicate whether we are trying to win or lose
Last night's game was pretty clear to me. A starting lineup of FVV/Yuta/Stanley/Siakam/Birch going up against one of the top teams in the league that is mostly healthy while Lowry (who looked perfectly fine wandering and cheering the whole game) and OG both spent their 2nd game in a less than a week on the bench. Boucher still out too and Trent missing his 6th straight game.

The only way we'll be going for it now is if we fall ass backwards into a tie or being one win behind the Pacers by the last game of the season then maybe everyone somewhat healthy plays to get themselves into the play-in games lol.
Ramed Nazored
Assistant Coach
And1: 9,450

Post#134 » by Ramed Nazored » Wed May 5, 2021 3:19 pm

Wouldn’t the raps making the play-in require that we win out? Pretty sure this dream is toast.

That franchise worst tying month of March dashed whatever playoff hopes they had.

Either way, no reason to worry. This is an aberration. Raps will be back in the mix next season.
mintsa
Head Coach

Post#135 » by mintsa » Wed May 5, 2021 4:13 pm

The raps hopes get slashed on Thursday. Thursday this will end and lottery balls will be on the way.
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,621

Post#136 » by WaltFrazier » Wed May 5, 2021 6:53 pm

The sad thing is, if all our guys were healthy with the team we have now, including the 2 new C's, we would be better than every team in the East apart from the top 3. When we play our best with everyone playing, we are 4th, and capable of upsetting one of the 3.

Next year if we add the right new veteran star, and have a good draft choice, we are a very competitive playoff team.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,423

Post#137 » by WuTang_OG » Wed May 5, 2021 6:55 pm

its over

we are done

congrats to washington and westbrook they deserve it
mdenny
Head Coach
And1: 6,576

Post#138 » by mdenny » Wed May 5, 2021 7:10 pm

Agreed with others pointing out the NBA's anti-tanking policies have absolutely backfired. The draft lottery provides more incentive for the teams who are 5th last to 10th last to tank.

Honestly....if there was no draft lottery I would'nt care what the kings and bulls are doing now. The whole reason I'm interested is because of the lottery. Instead of just the last 3 or 4 teams tanking as has been tradition.....you got around 10 to 12 teams at least considering it.

I really wouldn't spend much time thinking about the difference between a 7 pick or 8 pick. It's all about the lottery odds.
arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Post#139 » by arbsn » Wed May 5, 2021 7:21 pm

On paper the draft is 5 blue chippers deep. 6-12 are pretty much interchangeable. Unless we get lucky with lottery balls it wont matter if we are in the play in game or not
Spida888
Sixth Man
And1: 1,480

Post#140 » by Spida888 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:34 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Play-in is a great idea, but only for 8th. Leave the 7 seed alone. Tie lotto odds directly to win % and not ranking, and freeze at the end of the regular season.

I think so too, have 8-10 battle it out for the last playoff spot. 9th plays 10th, winner plays 8th, final winner gets in.

I wonder if the 9th/10th should keep a portion of their lottery odds even if they make it to the playoffs as well to entice 10th-ish teams to fight to the end.

Return to Toronto Raptors