ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#1221 » by Psubs » Wed May 5, 2021 12:36 am

Mark_83 wrote:So many interesting players in the second round we can consider.

Johnny Juzang SG
Scottie Lewis, SG
Joel Ayayi, SG

Kessler Edwards, SF
Isaiah Livers, SF
Herbert Jones, SF
Marcus Bagley, SF

Isaiah Todd, PF
Charles Bassey, PF
Filip Petrusev, PF
RaiQuan Gray, PF

Ariel Hukporti, C
Neemias Queta, C

Queta, Todd, then Petrusev and Hukporti. I don't think Scottie Lewis will be better than Jalen Harris, so pass.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1222 » by Psubs » Wed May 5, 2021 2:04 am

Lamelo is "only" 6'6? For some reason I thought he grew to 6'8 passing his brother Lonzo who is 6'6.

So Giddey being 6'8 is huge! Like a Jalen Rose. I had forgotten that Jalen stayed for 3 years, I thought it was 2. Now I remember the Fab 5 losing 2 NCAA Championship games. Then Webber went pro and Rose stayed 1 more year. Jalen was actually a late bloomer and didn't get going until he was traded from Denver to Indiana and his prime started at age 26. He eventually shot 44/35/77 which is respectable, which is around what Lamelo is doing already.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/roseja01.html

Can Giddey get to his prime earlier at say 23 and put up more assists and rebounds than Jalen? I think he could get to closer to 6 for each. Lamelo is just hot out the wrapper and could say his prime starts at 20.
C-R-E-A-M-
Senior
And1: 790

Post#1223 » by C-R-E-A-M- » Wed May 5, 2021 3:21 am

When we draft Cade trade FVV for Turner

Cade-Trent Jr-OG-Siakam-Turner
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,256

Post#1224 » by Raptorfan2012 » Wed May 5, 2021 3:39 am

TIL Cade, Moody, and Barnes all played at the same high school together.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,719

Post#1225 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 5, 2021 5:31 am

Reeko wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Scottie Barnes is Giannis-esque in his drives to the basket?

Not crazy, but I don't see it. I actually see more Siakam in Barnes than Giannis. He doesn't have that first step burst that Giannis has, and he also doesn't have the massive hands Giannis has either. Both of those factors are huge in Giannis' game and without them he'd be pretty mediocre.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,587

Post#1226 » by Bruin » Wed May 5, 2021 5:39 am

C-R-E-A-M- wrote:When we draft Cade trade FVV for Turner

That’s been my dream off-season for months. Need to get lucky with the lotto. Could work with Suggs too if we move up to the 2-4 range
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#1227 » by Mark_83 » Wed May 5, 2021 6:02 am

Reeko wrote:Am I crazy for thinking that Scottie Barnes is Giannis-esque in his drives to the basket?

Definitely in flashes, especially when he gets downhill and attacks the rim. There aren't many guys that big, long, and strong who can get downhill off the dribble like that. But Giannis is just a little bigger, quicker, and longer, plus he can palm the basketball like an orange, which is a huge difference maker.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1228 » by Psubs » Wed May 5, 2021 6:11 am

Psubs wrote:
niQ wrote:On defense, I get OG vibes from Scottie Barnes.

I get Siakam vibes. He's like a Siakam clone with Dwight Howard shoulders.

:rock:
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,719

Post#1229 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed May 5, 2021 6:28 am

Read on Twitter
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,877

Post#1230 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed May 5, 2021 10:45 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
mademan wrote:Davion Mitchell reminds me a lot of his namesake, Donovan Mitchell. Both are undersized 2 guards who can play a little bigger than they are, explosive, strong defense with a wet jumpshot. You can do worse than Mitchell, imo. You know this drafts nice when Mitchell might drop to late lotto (but so did the other Mitchell)

Tho i think Davion Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Donovan. Seems like he has better vision/playmaking/PG instincts and can play bigger than Donovan as well

Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure

Of course he does with the benefit of hindsight. My feeling is Davion will be gone at our pick. He is near consensus number 6 but would not bet the farm he won't be there at 8 or 9. All it will take is some team to take Barnes and Bouknightway too high. Even Moody might tick boxes at number 7. I think we are picking 8th or 9th.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1231 » by Indeed » Wed May 5, 2021 11:35 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
mademan wrote:Davion Mitchell reminds me a lot of his namesake, Donovan Mitchell. Both are undersized 2 guards who can play a little bigger than they are, explosive, strong defense with a wet jumpshot. You can do worse than Mitchell, imo. You know this drafts nice when Mitchell might drop to late lotto (but so did the other Mitchell)

Tho i think Davion Mitchell has a higher ceiling than Donovan. Seems like he has better vision/playmaking/PG instincts and can play bigger than Donovan as well

Huh how sway?? Really I haven't paid much attn to him because I simply lothe undersize SG prospects now. How big/small is Davion Mitchell?? Play bigger than Donovon? How big is Davion??

Am i underselling Davion or are you guys over selling him, because Donovon Mitchell goes #1 in this draft class for sure

Of course he does with the benefit of hindsight. My feeling is Davion will be gone at our pick. He is near consensus number 6 but would not bet the farm he won't be there at 8 or 9. All it will take is some team to take Barnes and Bouknightway too high. Even Moody might tick boxes at number 7. I think we are picking 8th or 9th.

It also depends on the team needs. Top 5 seems to be decided, meaning there will only be 3 teams ahead in picking. Those teams including OKC, Cleveland, Orlando x 2, Sacramento. I see OKC (besides Dort, SGA) or Orlando (besides Anthony, Fultz) maybe drafting a PG, but they have more needs at SG/SF. While Sacramento maybe the most interested in Scottie Barnes for their defensive issue and Holmes FA.

Meanwhile, we still got good prospects to take at 8th / 9th.
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,434

Post#1232 » by Morse Code » Wed May 5, 2021 11:42 am

Are you guys as scared about potentially picking Wagner as I am? Part of me sees the potential, but I feel like he won’t amount to anything special in the league due to his athleticism. I’m really torn because all the guys in our range hat have star potential have holes in their game that make me uncomfortable taking them. I wish there was another Kuminga type prospect in our range who has a super high ceiling.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1233 » by Indeed » Wed May 5, 2021 11:45 am

Morse Code wrote:Are you guys as scared about potentially picking Wagner as I am? Part of me sees the potential, but I feel like he won’t amount to anything special in the league due to his athleticism. I’m really torn because all the guys in our range hat have star potential have holes in their game that make me uncomfortable taking them. I wish there was another Kuminga type prospect in our range who has a super high ceiling.

Lack of quickness of Wagner may not able to stay in front of guards. We are switch heavy defense, so I am unsure we will draft him, even he can be a very good player.
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#1234 » by Gold Dragon » Wed May 5, 2021 12:50 pm

As someone who loves elite defenders, it is very reassuring that at least one of Mitchell, Moody and Barnes will likely be available with our pick and they all look like great fits in our system.
Saciid11
General Manager
And1: 4,225

Post#1235 » by Saciid11 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:54 pm

PrinceAli wrote:
C-R-E-A-M- wrote:When we draft Cade trade FVV for Turner

That’s been my dream off-season for months. Need to get lucky with the lotto. Could work with Suggs too if we move up to the 2-4 range

If you get Cade you keep FVV, FVV is perfect guard to play along point forward like Cade. This board really takes FVV for granted .. the guy is one of the best defenders at his position, he shows up big moments and he knows Nurse system better then any player we have. You draft Cade you keep FVV ...
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 448

Post#1236 » by Smalltown » Wed May 5, 2021 1:00 pm

Gold Dragon wrote:Moody and Barnes

At this point i feel like we're getting one of those two. With one of our seconds I'm feeling Charles Bassey - if he clicks he could play well above his draft position.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,934

Post#1237 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed May 5, 2021 1:02 pm

Indeed wrote:
Morse Code wrote:Are you guys as scared about potentially picking Wagner as I am? Part of me sees the potential, but I feel like he won’t amount to anything special in the league due to his athleticism. I’m really torn because all the guys in our range hat have star potential have holes in their game that make me uncomfortable taking them. I wish there was another Kuminga type prospect in our range who has a super high ceiling.

Lack of quickness of Wagner may not able to stay in front of guards. We are switch heavy defense, so I am unsure we will draft him, even he can be a very good player.

This isn't true. He'd thrive in his system because he is very mobile for 6"9 and one of the smartest defenders in the draft. His upside is limited because he doesn't have scoring ability, and he'll likely be a ball-mover, 3 point shooter. Otto Porter type.

I think teams should group him with Giddey and Scottie Barnes as big wings with guard skills, and determine who will have the best chance at adding scoring ability. Barnes and Wagner are the same age. Giddey is a year younger. I have them ranked Giddey, Wagner and then Barnes, all in that 8-15 range. Just based on age and who I think will be able to add ppg the best.
Smalltown
Senior
And1: 448

Post#1238 » by Smalltown » Wed May 5, 2021 1:03 pm

Saciid11 wrote:If you get Cade you keep FVV, FVV is perfect guard to play along point forward like Cade. This board really takes FVV for granted .. the guy is one of the best defenders at his position, he shows up big moments and he knows Nurse system better then any player we have. You draft Cade you keep FVV ...

Exactly the draft has zero impact on Freddy. It really has zero impact on the top 5 to be honest - at least short term. Drafting Mobley would have a bigger chance at moving on from one of our core.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#1239 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:35 pm

Outside of their name and number I don't think Davion and Donovan should really be getting compared that much
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#1240 » by DG88 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:37 pm

Gold Dragon wrote:As someone who loves elite defenders, it is very reassuring that at least one of Mitchell, Moody and Barnes will likely be available with our pick and they all look like great fits in our system.

I'd add Keon as his defense and effort on that end is elite. I think if anything we'll be drafting someone who is a plus defender.

Return to Toronto Raptors