NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who be's the MVPs?

Giannis Antetokounmpo
10%
Steph Curry
9%
Luka Doncic
4%
Joel Embiid
6%
James Harden
6%
LeBron James
2%
Nikola Jokic
54%
Kawhi Leonard
1%
Damian Lillard
2%
Some other guy (tell us who!)
5%

Total votes: 572

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 2,917

Re: NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21) 

Post#1661 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 4, 2021 11:30 pm

levon wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
levon wrote:Sure, there's a chain of interdependent events. But also, if Gasol picks up his 5th, he isn't going to keep picking up fouls and putting Jokic on the line, because he'd literally run out of fouls.

Now you're gonna make me talk about the Campazzo foul? Am I going to have to hear "5 10 Campazzo vs 6 10 AD" again?
Here:

AD's ankle has bent the other way because Campazzo's run into his leg. At this point AD is changing directions and trying to close out, so he's actually planning to jump to Porter's right side and contest with his right hand. It's not like he's not low in his stance ready to absorb Campazzo on a post up.

If you don't trust the screenshots, watch the "flop" video replay in slow motion.

You seriously going to argue that's not a foul?

I'm not talking about "5 10 Campazzo vs 6 10 AD". I'm talking about two players running at each other. Was it moving screen. I don't see it. Was it AD denying Campazzo freedom of movement. No. Did one player had ball so the other runned into him and committed a foul. No. Two players colided it should't be faul on any of them.

Okay, well if an offensive player running into a defensive player trying to close out is not a foul in your rulebook, feel free to pen a letter to the NBA. But that's a foul in the NBA, and it has nothing to do with their jerseys or heights or backgrounds. If I ran into the side of your knee with a low center of gravity as you're putting pressure on it to take off, you'd probably feel differently.

First of all I don't think it was a flop by AD. Second it did hurt I guess. And I think it would have been clear foul if AD was moving clearly in the direction of MPJ. But he wasn't, he was still moving sideways because of an inertion. Two players run at each other.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,568

Post#1662 » by nomansland » Wed May 5, 2021 11:10 am

FinnTheHuman wrote:

That's not defense, that's a mugging.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#1663 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed May 5, 2021 11:26 am

nomansland wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Yeah, and now Jokic reportedly has a right foot thumb issue. Easily could be because of the 2nd play in this video where Jokic lands on Marc's foot after shooting because Marc is playing like he's instructed to injure him. And did Marc get called for a foul? No. Literally called him getting injured against this trash Lakers team, that's how much they're encouraged to rough him up. Zero protection for the league's next MVP. But let's wait for Levon to reassure us this is all normal.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#1664 » by Alatan » Wed May 5, 2021 11:32 am

nomansland wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Nah, Gasol played good defense on Jokic this game. Jokic also missed a lot of east shots that game.

The mugging was how Howard defended Jokic in last years playoffs.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#1665 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed May 5, 2021 11:52 am

Alatan wrote:
nomansland wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Nah, Gasol played good defense on Jokic this game. Jokic also missed a lot of east shots that game.

No, he didn't. He was roughing him up. If you get hit so much, you lose focus and miss easy shots. It's no wonder this was one of Jokic's rare sub-50% shooting games this season. Marc should've fouled out that game, idk how you don't see 4 uncalled fouls and 1 flagrant one in that video.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#1666 » by AdagioPace » Wed May 5, 2021 1:20 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
nomansland wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:

Yeah, and now Jokic reportedly has a right foot thumb issue. Easily could be because of the 2nd play in this video where Jokic lands on Marc's foot after shooting because Marc is playing like he's instructed to injure him. And did Marc get called for a foul? No. Literally called him getting injured against this trash Lakers team, that's how much they're encouraged to rough him up. Zero protection for the league's next MVP. But let's wait for Levon to reassure us this is all normal.

didn't you hear, until you see blood on the floor (so excluding internal hemorrhage!) the only way to get fouls is to act "dynamic" and move the arms around like a clown. If you're a 7 footer heavier and sturdier than anybody on the floor with the balance of a water polo master ......BAD LUCK

I can't wait to see how they will officiate him in the playoffs this season.
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,534

Post#1667 » by Alatan » Wed May 5, 2021 1:31 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
Alatan wrote:
nomansland wrote:

No, he didn't. He was roughing him up. If you get hit so much, you lose focus and miss easy shots. It's no wonder this was one of Jokic's rare sub-50% shooting games this season. Marc should've fouled out that game, idk how you don't see 4 uncalled fouls and 1 flagrant one in that video.

There was just one missed call on the 4th play in that clip, where Gasol wacks Jokics forearm. The rest were called fouls or non calls on physical defense. The forearm push might be a foul but Gasol keeps his forearm bent in the elbow and i believe you are allowed to push like that in post defense.

Jokic does get mugged a lot without getting calls but not so much in that game against the Lakers. He just had an off night.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#1668 » by The Rebel » Wed May 5, 2021 1:42 pm

Alatan wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
Alatan wrote:

There was just one missed call on the 4th play in that clip, where Gasol wacks Jokics forearm. The rest were called fouls or non calls on physical defense. The forearm push might be a foul but Gasol keeps his forearm bent in the elbow and i believe you are allowed to push like that in post defense.

Jokic does get mugged a lot without getting calls but not so much in that game against the Lakers. He just had an off night.

I saw 6 missed calls, just because Jokic does not usually get those calls does not mean that they are no fouls. Gasol was throwing arms across his body, pushing, bodying, and flat hacking Jokic on all but 2 plays there. Watch the video again and actually watch the lower body or where Gasol's hands are.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Post#1669 » by JN61 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:42 pm

It's ridiculous media is now trying to make late push for Paul. While he is no doubt in the discussion, this race was already over....

They were arguing how Jokic will age badly because he is not a top player... What. Derrick Rose was MVP... Jokic has been in top 10 discussion for several years now and guy is young, he still has 6-7 years of his prime left....
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant

Post#1670 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed May 5, 2021 3:11 pm

Alatan wrote:
FinnTheHuman wrote:
Alatan wrote:

I dissected most of the situations on that video on the previous page. No offense, but sounds like you don’t know the rules well. And even if you didn’t know the rules well, idk how you’re unable to see Marc invading shooter’s landing space in the 2nd situation. That’s one of the most common and obvious fouls in the nba since the Kawhi-Zaza situation.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 909

Post#1671 » by TheFire » Wed May 5, 2021 4:03 pm

Wow, this is some strong Jokic slander. "Worst MVP of the last 30 years" "Nuggets are a bad team"

The American media is so reluctant to crown a white Euro dude from Serbia as MVP.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,145

Post#1672 » by dygaction » Wed May 5, 2021 4:35 pm

TheFire wrote:

Wow, this is some strong Jokic slander. "Worst MVP of the last 30 years" "Nuggets are a bad team"

The American media is so reluctant to crown a white Euro dude from Serbia as MVP.

They are lame. Don't want to say most of them are racist, but Baizuo in sports should be the right word for them (Nick, Max, Skip...). Suppose it is not Joker, but Randle who is putting us such numbers and carrying Nuggets like this, would any of them still argue for CP3? Maybe they think those kind of opinions make them a brother among nba players
Definition of Baizuo "a sarcastic reference to those whose political opinions are perceived as being guided by emotions or a hypocritical show of selflessness and empathy"
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,311

Post#1673 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed May 5, 2021 5:10 pm

Jokic keeps saying he doesn’t care about the award and I’m sure that makes the media even more salty. The media likes to puff out their chests and wield their power with their votes, but if the leading vote getter doesn’t give two ****, it just makes the talking heads look fruitless and impotent as a result. Jokic making them look like clowns all year and it’s fun to watch.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,137

Post#1674 » by AdagioPace » Wed May 5, 2021 5:19 pm

TheFire wrote:

enjoying this a lot! so satisfying seeing the entire ESPN establishment powerless against cold brutal merit.
They're still promoting to this day the Nash weak-MVP (an anglosaxon after all!!) narrative, let alone somebody who comes from Serbia.
50 % market logic, 49% good old 'merican protectionism, 1% sport analysis
I can't wait to see the first Iranian MVP in 2054!
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
TheFire
Senior
And1: 909

Post#1675 » by TheFire » Wed May 5, 2021 5:52 pm

AdagioPace wrote:
TheFire wrote:

enjoying this a lot! so satisfying seeing the entire ESPN establishment powerless against cold brutal merit.
They're still promoting to this day the Nash weak-MVP (an anglosaxon after all!!) narrative, let alone somebody who comes from Serbia.
50 % market logic, 49% good old 'merican protectionism, 1% sport analysis
I can't wait to see the first Iranian MVP in 2054!

I hope an American never wins the award again. Rooting for Luka, Embiid and Giannis next year!!! :D
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,068

Post#1676 » by Sgt Major » Wed May 5, 2021 5:56 pm

If I were Jokic, I would be wearing a shirt with Putin's face on it, only to piss these clowns off.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
NirvanaFC
Veteran
And1: 2,600

Post#1677 » by NirvanaFC » Wed May 5, 2021 8:16 pm

TheFire wrote:

None of these "analysts" have an actual vote. Thank god.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#1678 » by Doctor MJ » Wed May 5, 2021 8:32 pm

dygaction wrote:
TheFire wrote:

They are lame. Don't want to say most of them are racist, but Baizuo in sports should be the right word for them (Nick, Max, Skip...). Suppose it is not Joker, but Randle who is putting us such numbers and carrying Nuggets like this, would any of them still argue for CP3? Maybe they think those kind of opinions make them a brother among nba players
Definition of Baizuo "a sarcastic reference to those whose political opinions are perceived as being guided by emotions or a hypocritical show of selflessness and empathy"

I don't like the political implications of "baizuo". The poster below you just said he should wear a Putin shirt, and I think that misses the mark.

To be blunt:

This is racial prejudice at work, but it's not a pro-BLM or liberal prejudice. What this is, is the natural result of man of African descent dominating the NBA, and basketball fans should be aware that this isn't the first time biases like this happened, which a lot of the time it being in a pro-White or anti-Black direction.

I'll flat out say that the disturbing thing for me is not that people are skeptical of a big white Euro without great agility, but the fact that the US has basically stopped producing white basketball players of any quality. When a great white guy comes up we ask "Where's he from?" with the assumption that the answer is going to be from some other country which probably has a much weaker prospecting infrastructure. That's strange, and it's not something we should pretend doesn't exist, but it's important not to assume that there's an explicit, pre-meditated conspiracy at work.

Always what must be understood is that if enough great White (or other race) players come along, people will stop assuming Black players are better.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,166

Post#1679 » by donnieme » Thu May 6, 2021 4:02 am

I don't know if it has anything to do with race or nationality when the media had already crowned Doncic the MVP before the season started and he basically has a similar demographic description to Jokic. Sometimes ignorance is just plain ol ignorance, no malice, just the media being bad at processing basketball
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,167

Post#1680 » by Mickey8 » Thu May 6, 2021 4:03 am

Skip Bayless
@RealSkipBayless
Looks like Jokic will win MVP. But I'll still take Embiid over Jokic. Little better shooter. Much better rim protector. Gives you power as well as finesse. Durability? OK, that goes to Jokic.

This person is making millions by commenting the sport while not knowing anything about the sport :wink:

Return to The General Board