ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread. Woo! 15th pick here we come! Hoo. Ray.

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Re: 2021 Draft thread. Evan Mobley here we come! :) 

Post#1401 » by NatP4 » Sat May 1, 2021 2:26 pm

Giddey is in tier 1 of this draft. No doubt about it
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1402 » by Ruzious » Sat May 1, 2021 4:31 pm

NatP4 wrote:Giddey with another triple double today. 15-11-13 on 9 shots. His best game of the season.

Read on Twitter

:o And he'll still be 18 for another 5 months.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#1403 » by NatP4 » Sat May 1, 2021 5:16 pm

I’m pretty sure he’s going to be gone by the wiz pick.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#1404 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 2, 2021 3:09 am

NatP4 wrote:I’m pretty sure he’s going to be gone by the wiz pick.

I hope so.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 820

Post#1405 » by 9 and 20 » Sun May 2, 2021 8:55 am

Wiz need to start checking out guys projected in the late 20s. Wizards over Jazz in 4!
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1406 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 2, 2021 1:30 pm

Moody declares for draft & talks about Bradley Beal!

;t=9s

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#1407 » by DCZards » Sun May 2, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for the video scouting reports on Moses Moody, Superballman. He looks to be an above average shooter with decent defensive skills. But he’s nothing special as an athlete and is so-so at finishing at the rim. (I’d expect him to get better at finishing at the rim once he puts on more muscle.)

The comparisons to Kris Middleton seem apt. Moody certainly appears to have the sweet shooting stroke that Middleton possesses. Last year, Saddiq Bey was my sleeper. He’s had a good start to his NBA career. I see Moody as similar to Bey as a 3pt threat, although I think Moody may be the better all-around scorer. Bey is probably the better defender.

Moses Moody looks like someone that should be on the Zards radar screen given the team’s need for improved wing shooting and a 3&D guy. (Most mocks I've seen have him in the 8-10 range.) He's one of the youngest players in the draft. Doesn't turn 19 until the end of this month.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#1408 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sun May 2, 2021 6:27 pm

DCZards wrote:Thanks for the video scouting reports on Moses Moody, Superballman. He looks to be an above average shooter with decent defensive skills. But he’s nothing special as an athlete and is so-so at finishing at the rim. (I’d expect him to get better at finishing at the rim once he puts on more muscle.)

The comparisons to Kris Middleton seem apt. Moody certainly appears to have the sweet shooting stroke that Middleton possesses. Last year, Saddiq Bey was my sleeper. He’s had a good start to his NBA career. I see Moody as similar to Bey as a 3pt threat, although I think Moody may be the better all-around scorer. Bey is probably the better defender.

Moses Moody looks like someone that should be on the Zards radar screen given the team’s need for improved wing shooting and a 3&D guy. (Most mocks I've seen have him in the 8-10 range.) He's one of the youngest players in the draft. Doesn't turn 19 until the end of this month.

I understand why people aren't that high on him, I too am a fan of the point - forward types, nice handles, court vision, high IQ, superior passing skills... and guys like Giddey, Wagner, Barnes, etc are more in that mold. But like Troy Brown Jr, who couldnt fit in, and Deni who was struggling to fit in, and to a lesser extent Bonga.... What I do like about Moody is his game fits what this team wants from its SF position. A guy who can spot up for 3s, and has good length to defend passing lanes. So in terms of overall scouting, there are players I personally like more, he looks like a pretty ideal fit for this team. Plus the Beal connection is intriguinging. And like Gafford he is a fellow Razorback... So he'll have some connections and some brotherhood when he comes in which can be a good situation for such a young player. And he does seem to have good maturity for his age too btw.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 473

Post#1409 » by Jay81 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:51 am

this thread is dead....just like our chances of getting an impact player in the lottery. Maybe trade the pick and upgrade somwhere
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,272

Post#1410 » by doclinkin » Wed May 5, 2021 5:54 am

At 10-14 I'm on board for Wagner. Davion Mitchell. Giddey. Sure why not. Shrug.

I'd rather trade down for Filip Petrusev and pick up later/future picks. Rim runner with swiftly developing outside shot, and the complete game of the Serbian talent development academies. We need a back-up for Bertans, Petrusev is hitting 40% from Euro three, and getting more comfortable every game. Petrusev is showing an outside/inside game and can play 4/5 for us. He plays a more laterally mobile and nimble version of the outside/inside game Bryant plays for us, able to move both with and without the ball.

Yes we need a SF more than a big. In this case I'm looking for undervalued players at their position so I can get good value on a trade down and take the Best Player Underrated more than Best Fit Available. I don't see a SF I want. Wagner will be an asset whatever team he lands on, though he needs to work his outside shot to really find a starting role. I'd be fine with him. I'd take Jalen Johnson if he falls, with Westbrook motivating him I can see him living up to his talent. Still, underrated talent seems like a place you can steal value long term.

On an extra pick this year: we likely wouldn't take Queta though he'd add dimension to the center trio. Still he's Portuguese so maybe Tommy has scouted him. A younger better passing sub for the Lopez minutes, he adds a dimension we don't have in our current trio: playmaking. He is the Draymond of this draft. A game changing defender who can space the floor on offense not by his jumpshot (its fine) but by his passing and read/react recognition. A pivot position center can act as the hub of the wheel for players crashing backdoor and running lanes.

Our 10-14 for the Knicks 22, 23 would do it. Thibodeaux is developing a lot of youth, adding one not two might have appeal. He'd love Mitchell for his defense, Wagner as well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1411 » by Ruzious » Wed May 5, 2021 11:44 am

doclinkin wrote:At 10-14 I'm on board for Wagner. Davion Mitchell. Giddey. Sure why not. Shrug.

I'd rather trade down for Filip Petrusev and pick up later/future picks. Rim runner with swiftly developing outside shot, and the complete game of the Serbian talent development academies. We need a back-up for Bertans, Petrusev is hitting 40% from Euro three, and getting more comfortable every game. Petrusev is showing an outside/inside game and can play 4/5 for us. He plays a more laterally mobile and nimble version of the outside/inside game Bryant plays for us.

Yes we need a SF more than a big. In this case I'm looking for undervalued players at their position so I can get good value on a trade down and take the Best Player Underrated more than Best Fit Available. I don't see a SF I want. Wagner will be an asset whatever team he lands on, though he needs to work his outside shot to really find a starting role. I'd be fine with him. I'd take Jalen Johnson if he falls, with Westbrook motivating him I can see him living up to his talent. Still, underrated talent seems like a place you can steal value long term.

On an extra pick this year: we likely wouldn't take Queta though he'd add dimension to the center trio. Still he's Portuguese so maybe Tommy has scouted him. A younger better passing sub for the Lopez minutes, he adds a dimension we don't have in our current trio: playmaking. He is the Draymond of this draft. A game changing defender who can space the floor on offense not by his jumpshot (its fine) but by his passing and read/react recognition. A pivot position center can act as the hub of the wheel for players crashing backdoor and running lanes.

Our 10-14 for the Knicks 22, 23 would do it. Thibodeaux is developing a lot of youth, adding one not two might have appeal. He'd love Mitchell for his defense, Wagner as well.

Not sure I'd call Petrusev a rim runner. I haven't seen him since Gonzaga - where he seemed a lot like Timme to me - a very skilled scorer who's not quick enough to play forward - not surprising that he's developed a good 3ball. There's definitely a role for him in the NBA as a stretch 5. I gotta watch more recent video on him. Queta would be a fun get - a unique set of skills and abilities.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,562

Post#1412 » by pcbothwel » Wed May 5, 2021 11:57 am

Doc, I like the trade with NYK and it makes sense for both teams.... on paper.
The problem is the drop off in the late teens. Wagner, Springer, Giddey, Garuba, Jackson, Duarte, Butler... That is the group that appears to be available in the 12-20 range and I LOVE it... But I think only 1 of them (Duarte/Butler) might be there at 21/22.

Again, it would have to be a game time decision as trading back and seeing the next 5-7 picks make up that group would be a tough watch.
That said, man... getting Butler/Duarte + Petrusev would be the best of all 3 needs. Quantity/depth, Impact, and upside.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1413 » by Ruzious » Wed May 5, 2021 12:12 pm

DCZards wrote:Thanks for the video scouting reports on Moses Moody, Superballman. He looks to be an above average shooter with decent defensive skills. But he’s nothing special as an athlete and is so-so at finishing at the rim. (I’d expect him to get better at finishing at the rim once he puts on more muscle.)

Moody's a player I'd bet on to have a very good solid career. I'm doubtfull he'll be the shot creator that Midds has developed into, but he's a very good smooth 3 & D wing. For old-timers here, he reminds me of another Buck - Junior Bridgeman.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1414 » by doclinkin » Wed May 5, 2021 12:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:
doclinkin wrote:At 10-14 I'm on board for Wagner. Davion Mitchell. Giddey. Sure why not. Shrug.

I'd rather trade down for Filip Petrusev and pick up later/future picks. Rim runner with swiftly developing outside shot, and the complete game of the Serbian talent development academies.

Not sure I'd call Petrusev a rim runner. I haven't seen him since Gonzaga - where he seemed a lot like Timme to me - a very skilled scorer who's not quick enough to play forward - not surprising that he's developed a good 3ball. There's definitely a role for him in the NBA as a stretch 5. I gotta watch more recent video on him. Queta would be a fun get - a unique set of skills and abilities.

If you watch he has a level of athleticism at this level way beyond the competition. In Euroball at least he gets his points flying up the court and dunking, catching lobs to flush it. He won't be able to dunk in traffic as easily at the NBA level, but he runs like a wolfhound, long effortless strides, he for sure can get behind the defense to catch and finish. You can tell he is building strength and adding to his game. Even at 18 in Gonzaga though he showed flashes of that Andre Kirilenko type of complete game (okay minus otherworldly defense).

This guy has a role in the NBA. Developing quickly enough that he looks like he could be a starter on a winning team in his career. Utah, Indiana, the Spurs would snatch him in an instant :clown:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1415 » by Ruzious » Wed May 5, 2021 1:18 pm

Petrusev can definitely score in the NBA. One surprising stat at Gonzaga; he averaged 11.2 FTA's per 40 minutes. I don't think defense will be a strength for him, but he does seem to have solid lateral quickness - certainly better than Timme.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#1416 » by Dark Faze » Fri May 7, 2021 7:58 pm

So where are we predicted to land at this point and who do yall like for the slots?
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1417 » by doclinkin » Sat May 8, 2021 3:46 pm

Dark Faze wrote:So where are we predicted to land at this point and who do yall like for the slots?

Currently most likely 11 at this point. 77% chance.
12.6% we land at 12.
9.6% chance we jump to the top 4.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

Tankathon says Davion Mitchell is gone by 11.
Franz Wagner is still on the board. Josh Giddey as well. I'd take either. Giddey may have more value as an asset long term, Wagner may be more likely to quietly contribute to wins as a glue player par excellance. If Franz develops his 3 ball, he is a winner on a winning team throughout his career.

Option: I would like the Rockets 22/25 plus future picks, 2nd rounders, and considerations. Or the Knicks 21/23 plus future picks, 2nd rounders, and considerations. (Listening for 3 way swap that nets us back-up for Bertans, or a true 3&D SF; with Bryant and Hutchison as trade ballast. Though I am curious how a Gafford/Bryant pairing may work).

At 21/23 or 22/25 we can get good value from:

Filip Petrusev -- multi-tool 4/5 with developing range
Neemias Queta -- defensive monster, sweet passing Big, stats read like a taller Draymond
Ayo Dusunmu -- productive guard with on-ball/off-ball skills, stat improvement suggests a grinder, basketball lifer
Joel Ayayi -- 3&D offball guard, rebounding well from the 2nd line, zero mistakes, excellent defense, developing outside shot
Charles Bassey -- high energy interior big.
DayRon Sharpe -- productive freshman Big with profile of a Bam Adebayo: rebounds, blocks, steals, passes. Needs to develop any kind of shot, but we have a good team who can help him with that.

maybe:

Sharife Cooper -- flashy ball handling prodigy, needs Russ riding him to hone his athletic arrogance into positive production, highlights star though, fan favorite, replacement Ish Smith.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1418 » by Ruzious » Sat May 8, 2021 5:48 pm

One other maybe at 12ish is Kai Jones from Texas. I think he was in a bit of an odd situation, because their senior leader - Jericho Simms - was their center, and Greg Brown - their highly rated freshman - was a swing forward with a big reputation. Kai was probably too willing to get lost in the shuffle and just didn't get the ball much on offense. He was a 6'1 HS guard who had a huge growth spurt as a senior and is now 6'11. Seems like he never had a position at Texas. He was there to defend and make 3's. He's a unique defender in that he can legitimately guard from 1 to 5. He was the guy who shut down Cade Cunningham for a long chunk of their game with OKS. In the NBA, he could successfully guard Kevin Durant one game and Luca Doncic the next.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#1419 » by doclinkin » Sat May 8, 2021 7:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:One other maybe at 12ish is Kai Jones from Texas. I think he was in a bit of an odd situation, because their senior leader - Jericho Simms - was their center, and Greg Brown - their highly rated freshman - was a swing forward with a big reputation. Kai was probably too willing to get lost in the shuffle and just didn't get the ball much on offense. He was a 6'1 HS guard who had a huge growth spurt as a senior and is now 6'11. Seems like he never had a position at Texas. He was there to defend and make 3's. He's a unique defender in that he can legitimately guard from 1 to 5. He was the guy who shut down Cade Cunningham for a long chunk of their game with OKS. In the NBA, he could successfully guard Kevin Durant one game and Luca Doncic the next.

I'm game for him too. He doesn't pass at all, strange for a former guard, but the perimeter defense is legit. Offensively aside from dunks, he has no real game, but the raw materials are there.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,605

Post#1420 » by pancakes3 » Sat May 8, 2021 8:14 pm

drafting in the mid-first, i think we draft for need rather than talent unless somebody freefalls for a bizarre reason and we need a wing in the worst way.

Jalen Johnson opted out of duke and declared and looks to be getting dinged for it. that can be our gain.

Marcus Bagley (Marvin Bagley's brother) declared out of FSU and nbadraft has him projected as a second rounder. he's also in the transfer portal and is getting interest(Kentucky) there as well.

neither guy has a lot of college tape (between Johnson opting out and Bagley getting injured) but are young enough and with enough pedigree that i don't think dissecting tape would really change the calculus.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards