ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,222

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#1921 » by NatP4 » Tue May 4, 2021 1:30 pm

Last 5 games he has an 11.1 net rating and 67% TS.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1922 » by Ruzious » Tue May 4, 2021 1:46 pm

Rui needs to go to the Pete Newell Big Man's camp to learn how to rebound/block out, defend, and... cheat. The only problem is Pete Newell died in 2008. So we'll need Russell Westbrook to take over as the camp leader.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#1923 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 2:52 pm

NatP4 wrote:Last 5 games he has an 11.1 net rating and 67% TS.

Actually, his TS% is a lot better than that over the 5 game stretch! It's 72.2% -- :)

OTOH, the previous 5 games, his TS% wasn't quite as good, was it? 35.7% -- :(

But, if we look at the last 10 games overall, it's 53.2% -- which is only 1% below his overall season TS% of 54.2%. :|

But, if you make it 11 instead of 10 -- why, it goes up a little! :)

Then again, if you make it 12 instead of 11 -- it does down a little again. :(

So... maybe we don't learn much about Rui if we concentrate on some small stretch of games? Rui or anyone for that matter...? What do you think?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#1924 » by MDStar » Wed May 5, 2021 3:14 pm

I guess you can say that maybe we're not learning anything about him holistically but by stating it does acknowledge that he's played very well over these last few games and we can all hope that he keeps the current trend going for a while longer. :)
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1925 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:Rui needs to go to the Pete Newell Big Man's camp to learn how to rebound/block out, defend, and... cheat. The only problem is Pete Newell died in 2008. So we'll need Russell Westbrook to take over as the camp leader.

2000, 2001, 2002

Those were years that I was fortunate enough to visit that camp. Met and spoke with many players. Antwan Jamison was the most gracious player. Zach Randolph was very approachable. Kwame Brown was also very respectful. (He was 18 or 19 but seemed more like he was 12 to me. Not in a bad way, just he was just a child in a grown man body...)

Marques Johnson was super nice as was Clifford Ray. I also got to meet Kiki Vandeweghe and Rick Carlisle.

Pete Newell’s ... thanks for reminding me of good times, Ruzious.

I’ve told this before but the day I learned my Mom just suddenly died, the camp was in session. My mother was named Bobbie. I was grief stricken but decided I had nothing to do but go see the players working on their games at Pete Newell’s.

As I arrived I noticed one player. “Bobbie” Simmons was how his name was misspelled on the back of his camp jersey .

Literally the day Bobbie Jean Brown Holmes died, back in August 2002.

Can’t make this stuff up man.
Bye bye Beal.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1926 » by TGW » Wed May 5, 2021 3:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:Rui needs to go to the Pete Newell Big Man's camp to learn how to rebound/block out, defend, and... cheat. The only problem is Pete Newell died in 2008. So we'll need Russell Westbrook to take over as the camp leader.

A couple of posters gave me a hard time because I said he wasted his time going to that "big guard" camp last summer. The product on the floor is a result of his lack of attention in those areas during the offseason.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
RealGM

Post#1927 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:29 pm

Ruzious, Rui got picked ninth in today’s pace and space NBA.

George Mikan drills? Boxing out? That stuff predates the current era. Seems to me what gets guys payed today is three point shooting and one-on-one moves in transition.

Pete Newell has probably rolled over in his grave.

(Being facetious—complete players need to learn all skills. Rui certainly could benefit).
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1928 » by Ruzious » Wed May 5, 2021 3:30 pm

Speaking of Marques Johnson, he's now the color guy on the Bucks broadcasts - very likable and soft-spoken - does a great job of mentioning little things that players do to help their teams. Bucks fans love him - he's like their Phil Chenier.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1929 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:34 pm

TGW wrote:

A couple of posters gave me a hard time because I said he wasted his time going to that "big guard" camp last summer. The product on the floor is a result of his lack of attention in those areas during the offseason.

No, your point about the guard camp just reinforces what I stated. Guys want to shoot the three now.

Rui probably wants to emulate Julius Randle. His game is now outside in.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1930 » by Ruzious » Wed May 5, 2021 3:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Ruzious, Rui got picked ninth in today’s pace and space NBA.

George Mikan drills? Boxing out? That stuff predates the current era. Seems to me what gets guys payed today is three point shooting and one-on-one moves in transition.

(Being facetious—complete players need to learn all skills. Rui certainly could benefit).

The 2 best at blocking out in the NBA are the Lopez brothers - they must have been taught well at Stanford. But sometimes I want to yell at them - grab the ball! Nene was like that, too.
RealGM

Post#1931 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:Speaking of Marques Johnson, he's now the color guy on the Bucks broadcasts - very likable and soft-spoken - does a great job of mentioning little things that players do to help their teams. Bucks fans love him - he's like their Phil Chenier.

IiRC I spoke with him about an hour. I told him I used to be a UCLA fan and I remember him. That time the Bucks had Marcus Johnson along with Sidney Moncrief they were really good. Unfortunately, one of their best teams was derailed when Marques suffered an injury.

He is very articulate and personable and it does not surprise me that he’s a great announcer.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1932 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 3:47 pm

MDStar wrote:I guess you can say that maybe we're not learning anything about him holistically but by stating it does acknowledge that he's played very well over these last few games and we can all hope that he keeps the current trend going for a while longer. :)

Absolutely!

More than that, the fact that a guy has a sequence of good games in him is a positive indicator that he can improve -- i.e. more than 1 good game every once in a while would be. I.e. it may give you reason to think that even if improvement overall comes slowly, significant improvement is still possible.

&, to tell the truth, I think that's key for Rui. Ordinarily if a guy came out at 21 after 3 years, was picked high, & had two consecutive seasons neither of which was good, the 2d showing at most marginal improvement & only in a couple of areas, you'd be pretty worried the player wasn't going to go much of anywhere (though of course there must be exceptions).

In Rui's case, his having come to the game late, combined with his outstanding athleticism & work ethic, mean that there's still hope for him to turn into an outstanding player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#1933 » by DCZards » Wed May 5, 2021 3:50 pm

TGW wrote:

And I was given a hard time for saying I had no problem with Rui attending the Big Guard camp.

That quick, off-the-dribble pull up midrange jumper that’s becoming Rui’s primary offensive weapon is something that you hone at the Big Guard camp and not the Big Man camp.

I see Rui as more of a 3-4 than a 4-5. Yes, there are big man skills that he needs to work on but those big guard skills may be even more important.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1934 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 3:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:...Bobbie Jean Brown Holmes died, back in August 2002....

May her name be spoken as a blessing among the righteous....
RealGM

Post#1935 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Ruzious, Rui got picked ninth in today’s pace and space NBA.

The 2 best at blocking out in the NBA are the Lopez brothers - they must have been taught well at Stanford. But sometimes I want to yell at them - grab the ball! Nene was like that, too.

Robin has an old school game. I bet they call him OG. If they don’t they should. Mastery. In one word that’s what his hook shot is.

I think rebounding comes down to fast twitch and motor. If you notice Russell Westbrook he happens to get to the ball and he grabs it quickly when it comes to rebounding. He has got a boundless supply of energy and the dude is fast!

The Lopez brothers are plodders, Nene was more explosive early in his career. However, he didn’t have a motor for rebounding. Guys like Rodman, Ben Wallace, Buck Williams? Those guys would scrap all game. They each were fast twitch.

Rui is like Carmelo and Jamison. He likes scoring but he’s not one for sustained hustle on defense. He’s not getting many rebounds.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1936 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 3:55 pm

payitforward wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:...Bobbie Jean Brown Holmes died, back in August 2002....

May her name be spoken as a blessing among the righteous....

:usa:

If it weren’t for that sweet lady I’m sure I would’ve gone to prison for something really bad. HER heart keeps me alive.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1937 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 5, 2021 4:03 pm

payitforward wrote:
MDStar wrote:I guess you can say that maybe we're not learning anything about him holistically but by stating it does acknowledge that he's played very well over these last few games and we can all hope that he keeps the current trend going for a while longer. :)

Absolutely!

More than that, the fact that a guy has a sequence of good games in him is a positive indicator that he can improve -- i.e. more than 1 good game every once in a while would be. I.e. it may give you reason to think that even if improvement overall comes slowly, significant improvement is still possible.

&, to tell the truth, I think that's key for Rui. Ordinarily if a guy came out at 21 after 3 years, was picked high, & had two consecutive seasons neither of which was good, the 2d showing at most marginal improvement & only in a couple of areas, you'd be pretty worried the player wasn't going to go much of anywhere (though of course there must be exceptions).

In Rui's case, his having come to the game late, combined with his outstanding athleticism & work ethic, mean that there's still hope for him to turn into an outstanding player.

Ten years from now.

He’s the kind of guy who once he’s ornery and guileful he’s going to be a solid player. He could end up playing on championship teams. Rip Hamilton was a better player but was also thoroughly scrutinized early on.

Rui has a mean streak. He’s a young guy, however.

Westbrook sees the fire in the kid. Rui is “a puppy”. He doesn’t know how to play with an edge yet. Big dog puppy. He’s not mean ... yet. But it’s coming.

I think he needs seasons and time. He’s not extraordinary but he does have potential.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1938 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 4:45 pm

DCZards wrote:...That quick, off-the-dribble pull up midrange jumper that’s becoming Rui’s primary offensive weapon is something that you hone at the Big Guard camp and not the Big Man camp.

I see Rui as more of a 3-4 than a 4-5. Yes, there are big man skills that he needs to work on but those big guard skills may be even more important.

The open question of a player's position is interesting & kind of unusual in a 23-year old guy. At the same time, of course, we should accept that what the term "positionless basketball" mostly means is the decline of the traditional "big man," especially on offense.

So, for sure, if you're going to play in space, you need "guard-like" skills.

It's been nice to see those mid-range jumpers go in at a high clip the last few games, but I'm not sure they are really going to be primary for Rui overall. In fact, his 2-point attempts dropped this season, both overall & as a % of his FGAs. (Tho I don't know if that holds for the specific ones you have in mind, however, or if inside attempts were what went down.)

In any case, his 2pt. FG% did go up slightly, though not as much as his 3 pt. % (keeping in mind that even the improved percentages on both are significantly below average & that his usage went down this year, not up). His FT% OTOH dropped.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1939 » by payitforward » Wed May 5, 2021 4:54 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:...solid... not extraordinary but he does have potential.

I'd say that's about where I see Rui too.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,222

Post#1940 » by NatP4 » Wed May 5, 2021 5:37 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Last 5 games he has an 11.1 net rating and 67% TS.

Actually, his TS% is a lot better than that over the 5 game stretch! It's 72.2% -- :)

OTOH, the previous 5 games, his TS% wasn't quite as good, was it? 35.7% -- :(

But, if we look at the last 10 games overall, it's 53.2% -- which is only 1% below his overall season TS% of 54.2%. :|

But, if you make it 11 instead of 10 -- why, it goes up a little! :)

Then again, if you make it 12 instead of 11 -- it does down a little again. :(

So... maybe we don't learn much about Rui if we concentrate on some small stretch of games? Rui or anyone for that matter...? What do you think?

Why didn’t you include his net rating? Which is 2.6 over the last 20 games vs -5.8 in the 27 games before the all star break.

Seems like an improvement.

Return to Washington Wizards