Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,143

Re: Thoughts in General, Rumors, etc 3.0 

Post#281 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 1, 2021 3:08 am

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh.
Prime AV, when healthy, was a needle mover. It's a stunt, but this is where he should say goodbye.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#282 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat May 1, 2021 3:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh.
Prime AV, when healthy, was a needle mover. It's a stunt, but this is where he should say goodbye.

Yeah. To me, would make more sense for a “last home game” signing for one final appearance before the allowable amount of fans. Seems like a waste of a roster spot that could go to another guy on a multi year flyer though.

I mean, I saw a LOT of Varejao games in the Q when I lived up there, but this seems way past time. Unless the locker room is just that bad or something? Probably not...probably just a “farewell tour” of sorts.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,143

Post#283 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 2, 2021 3:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Huh.

Yeah. To me, would make more sense for a “last home game” signing for one final appearance before the allowable amount of fans. Seems like a waste of a roster spot that could go to another guy on a multi year flyer though.

I mean, I saw a LOT of Varejao games in the Q when I lived up there, but this seems way past time. Unless the locker room is just that bad or something? Probably not...probably just a “farewell tour” of sorts.

We've tried a lot of the bolded this year. Look at our current roster. We have an entire starting unit of G League guys.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#284 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun May 2, 2021 4:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Prime AV, when healthy, was a needle mover. It's a stunt, but this is where he should say goodbye.

We've tried a lot of the bolded this year. Look at our current roster. We have an entire starting unit of G League guys.

And you’re missing out on what could be one more. :dontknow:
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#285 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon May 3, 2021 2:46 am

I feel like there’s a Sato for Bledsoe type of trade that makes sense for both sides. I’m just not sure what would be needed to balance it out.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#286 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 3, 2021 2:49 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:I feel like there’s a Sato for Bledsoe type of trade that makes sense for both sides. I’m just not sure what would be needed to balance it out.

Bledsoe + Hart for Sato + Brown Jr?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Post#287 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon May 3, 2021 2:55 am

zimpy27 wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I feel like there’s a Sato for Bledsoe type of trade that makes sense for both sides. I’m just not sure what would be needed to balance it out.

Hart’s an RFA so that may kill any chance of him being involved. My first thought was something like Sato, Aminu, and a 2nd or so for Bledsoe and Iwindu or some other filler. I’m pretty meh about it though.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#288 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:39 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Hart’s an RFA so that may kill any chance of him being involved. My first thought was something like Sato, Aminu, and a 2nd or so for Bledsoe and Iwindu or some other filler. I’m pretty meh about it though.

Oh yeah you're right. Thought he had another year. Yeah your idea could work.

I like Rubio for Sato swap too. Maybe even Schröder for Sato+Young in SnT. Young could replace Harrell as a small ball C if he walks.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#289 » by bondom34 » Wed May 5, 2021 2:14 am

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,813

Post#290 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 5, 2021 2:17 am

bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Indiana for being such a stable, winning organization has shockingly little patience with coaches. They have gotten rid of a number of coaches that stunned me at the time (Carlisle and Vogel come first to mind).
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#291 » by BullyKing » Wed May 5, 2021 2:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Indiana for being such a stable, winning organization has shockingly little patience with coaches. They have gotten rid of a number of coaches that stunned me at the time (Carlisle and Vogel come first to mind).

In fairness, given their refusal to tank and the difficulty in attracting top free agents there, I can understand why they feel like it's their only avenue to shake things up. I don't think it's a wise strategy but I can understand why they might feel that way.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#292 » by BullyKing » Wed May 5, 2021 2:22 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Read on Twitter

In fairness, given their refusal to tank and the difficulty in attracting top free agents there, I can understand why they feel like it's their only avenue to shake things up. I don't think it's a wise strategy but I can understand why they might feel that way.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,813

Post#293 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 5, 2021 2:28 am

BullyKing wrote:In fairness, given their refusal to tank and the difficulty in attracting top free agents there, I can understand why they feel like it's their only avenue to shake things up. I don't think it's a wise strategy but I can understand why they might feel that way.

I wonder how much influence goes back to Larry Bird? I remember he was quite successful when he coached there, but he left after I think 3 years? And said something about believing you start to lose the players if you stick around longer I believe?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#294 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 5, 2021 2:38 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
BullyKing wrote:In fairness, given their refusal to tank and the difficulty in attracting top free agents there, I can understand why they feel like it's their only avenue to shake things up. I don't think it's a wise strategy but I can understand why they might feel that way.

I wonder how much influence goes back to Larry Bird? I remember he was quite successful when he coached there, but he left after I think 3 years? And said something about believing you start to lose the players if you stick around longer I believe?

We’ve only ever had 2 coaches hold the job for more than 4 years. Frank Vogel coached 5 and a half seasons, while Bobby “Slick” Leonard, our recently departed legend, coached 12 years in the ABA and NBA days. Granted, the best coaches other than Slick/Vogel were Bird, Brown, and Carlisle, and they all were more than ready to move on at the end of their respective runs, for different reasons.

Really, I think we’re all ready for Simon’s son to take over.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#295 » by pacers33granger » Wed May 5, 2021 4:41 pm

Carlisle should have been retained but that was a mutual parting after the brawl. Vogel had run his course with Indy, though Bird went about it in a bad way. Nate M had more than run his course and just wasn't the right coach for where the team is at. Nate B has been trying to fit square pegs into round holes all season long. That's half on him for refusing to adapt and half on management for the hire knowing the style and personnel.

Overhauling the staff was a mistake from day one, Burke being the biggest loss (far bigger than Nate M). When Bayno left, it was all new guys.

That said, it's also on the players. They routinely stop playing the system and revert back to Nate M iso-ball when things aren't going well. It says a lot that Brissett came in and made a noticeable impact largely just by sticking to the system and moving the ball.

It's still laughable that people think Nate M was some sort of lynchpin holding it all together though. Much of the same issues were present last year, we just had far fewer injuries. The team needs leadership desperately. Neither Nate has brought that and our top players outside of Myles are not good leaders.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM mobile app
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#296 » by Buzzard » Wed May 5, 2021 8:23 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Carlisle should have been retained but that was a mutual parting after the brawl. Vogel had run his course with Indy, though Bird went about it in a bad way. Nate M had more than run his course and just wasn't the right coach for where the team is at. Nate B has been trying to fit square pegs into round holes all season long. That's half on him for refusing to adapt and half on management for the hire knowing the style and personnel.

Overhauling the staff was a mistake from day one, Burke being the biggest loss (far bigger than Nate M). When Bayno left, it was all new guys.

That said, it's also on the players. They routinely stop playing the system and revert back to Nate M iso-ball when things aren't going well. It says a lot that Brissett came in and made a noticeable impact largely just by sticking to the system and moving the ball.

It's still laughable that people think Nate M was some sort of lynchpin holding it all together though. Much of the same issues were present last year, we just had far fewer injuries. The team needs leadership desperately. Neither Nate has brought that and our top players outside of Myles are not good leaders.

I think what's laughable is when fans ignore the obvious. People do not want to give McMillan credit for some reason. Its not just funny; its hateful. Nate's has made undeniable improvements in the way the Hawks have played since he took over. On both ends of the floor. And he has done it with the same staff that was losing under Pierce. No so called super defensive or offensive coordinator :lol:
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,293

Post#297 » by Godaddycurse » Wed May 5, 2021 8:25 pm

Buzzard wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Carlisle should have been retained but that was a mutual parting after the brawl. Vogel had run his course with Indy, though Bird went about it in a bad way. Nate M had more than run his course and just wasn't the right coach for where the team is at. Nate B has been trying to fit square pegs into round holes all season long. That's half on him for refusing to adapt and half on management for the hire knowing the style and personnel.

I think what's laughable is when fans ignore the obvious. People do not want to give McMillan credit for some reason. Its not just funny; its hateful. Nate's has made undeniable improvements in the way the Hawks have played since he took over. On both ends of the floor. And he has done it with the same staff that was under Pierce. No so called super defensive or offensive coordinator :lol:

I mean he turned around the hawks' season, which is great and all, but lets reserve judgement until we see how far he takes you guys in the playoffs. Regular season wasn't an issue for mcmillan in indiana either.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#298 » by Buzzard » Wed May 5, 2021 8:28 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

I think what's laughable is when fans ignore the obvious. People do not want to give McMillan credit for some reason. Its not just funny; its hateful. Nate's has made undeniable improvements in the way the Hawks have played since he took over. On both ends of the floor. And he has done it with the same staff that was under Pierce. No so called super defensive or offensive coordinator :lol:

I mean he turned around the hawks' season, which is great and all, but lets reserve judgement until we see how far he takes you guys in the playoffs. Regular season wasn't an issue for mcmillan in indiana either.

Point being the regular season is a issue for Indiana without him. Yet some Pacer fans prefer to ignore this obvious downside of letting him go. He had no superstars in Indiana but coached them up way over their heads...

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#299 » by kg01 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:11 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

Hawks are led by a group that hasn't seen playoff basketball yet. If they falter, it says nothing about the coach.

I won't sit here and claim McMillan is Phil Popovich or anything but the gymnastics some folks go through to discredit him is strange.

None of his Pacer or Blazer teams were ousted by teams they were consider markedly better than. Does that mean he shouldn't have been able to lead them to an upset? Nope. But it also doesn't indicate he's trash as a coach.
king01 :king:
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#300 » by Buzzard » Wed May 5, 2021 9:19 pm

kg01 wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I think what's laughable is when fans ignore the obvious. People do not want to give McMillan credit for some reason. Its not just funny; its hateful. Nate's has made undeniable improvements in the way the Hawks have played since he took over. On both ends of the floor. And he has done it with the same staff that was under Pierce. No so called super defensive or offensive coordinator :lol:

Hawks are led by a group that hasn't seen playoff basketball yet. If they falter, it says nothing about the coach.

I won't sit here and claim McMillan is Phil Popovich or anything but the gymnastics some folks go through to discredit him is strange.

None of his Pacer or Blazer teams were ousted by teams they were consider markedly better than. Does that mean he shouldn't have been able to lead them to an upset? Nope. But it also doesn't indicate he's trash as a coach.

Pretty much this. I don't think anyone is screaming top 3 - 5 coach. But win/loss record, playoff appearances, not tolerating losing seasons, etc...he has to be considered a top 10 current coach.

Maybe if he stays with the Hawks and their young core continues to improve, he can have a team that is finally considered a favorite in some playoff match ups.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams

Return to Trades and Transactions