ImageImageImage

Hal’s Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Hal’s Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by canman1971 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:39 pm

You asked for a draft thread, you got a draft thread. Draft away.

Old Failed Thread
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2066964

Wall of Shame Fitting winner for National Space Day
JediMasterRevan (103)
zoyathedestroya (84)
MagicBagley18 (84)
Celts17Pride (74)
Fierce1 (61)
Ernest (56)
playa-hater (55)
BK_2020 (55)
keevsnick1 (53)
bucknersrevenge (53)
Curmudgeon (50)
SmartWentCrazy (47)
djFan71 (46)
GoCeltics123 (45)
Andrew McCeltic (40)
Fencer reregistered (39)
Captain_Caveman (37)
themoneyteam2 (36)
Bleeding Green (33)
The Comedian (33)
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by Bleeding Green » Wed May 5, 2021 8:06 pm

I want Alperen Sengun, but only if he comes in a package deal with his PA hypeman and they can remove all other noise from the arena when he scores.

Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#3 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 5, 2021 8:27 pm

For sure we should go get Marcus Bagley.
I know nothing about him except the name.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#4 » by klemen4 » Wed May 5, 2021 8:38 pm

Stretch PF...All other positions are covered with young players...got to go big with this year's pick.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Bleeding Green » Wed May 5, 2021 8:41 pm

Ron Harper Jr looks like a cool player if they can figure out what his role would be. Not a real shooter, but so strong and long with great defensive ability at the perimeter and the rim, can handle the ball and make good decisions in transition. I feel like he's a combination of Langford and Grant Williams. I see him mocked around where Celtics pick in the second round.

Scottie Barnes also has a really cool skillset, I'd roll the dice on him if he were still there at 17 or wherever Celtics pick in the first. Huge bust potential, but man someoene with that athleticism, defensive versatility, handle, playmaking would be pretty nice. Brutal shooter and somehow an atrocious rebounder, though. And if you can't shoot in this league, you may as well not even exist.

Josh Giddey also looks cool. 6'8" point guard who can't shoot but tight handle, great vision. Scrawny af and probably never gonna be a good defender, but perhaps could be passable after some development. Youngest player in the draft I think, doesn't turn 19 until October.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#6 » by Dogen » Wed May 5, 2021 9:30 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I want Alperen Sengun, but only if he comes in a package deal with his PA hypeman and they can remove all other noise from the arena when he scores.

I'm curious about this kid too. Seems he fits a need as a complimentary player to Rob Williams, but a little more offensive minded, yet big enough to mix it up like TT. Thing is, looks like his 3pt shot is pretty suspect, so doesn't fit the stretch 5 profile.

Maybe a poor man's Sabonis, with upside to be a lot more? He looks fairly good putting the ball on the floor and passing, but he may struggle with the NBA pace.

I'd be happy to see a Euro-movement, bring Şengün and Madar in, end the Edwards and Tacko experiment.

And I'm a sucker for cool diacritics. With a name like Alperen Şengün, he's got to be good! 8-)
Hey you! Can we come together?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 5, 2021 9:30 pm

Is this meant to be a hybrid draft/trade/FA thread?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,314

Post#8 » by Homerclease » Wed May 5, 2021 9:44 pm

Give me Greg Brown from Texas. Uber athletic 3 + D PF who is super raw but is exactly what this team needs in the future
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bleeding Green » Wed May 5, 2021 9:55 pm

Dogen wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I want Alperen Sengun, but only if he comes in a package deal with his PA hypeman and they can remove all other noise from the arena when he scores.

I'm curious about this kid too. Seems he fits a need as a complimentary player to Rob Williams, but a little more offensive minded, yet big enough to mix it up like TT. Thing is, looks like his 3pt shot is pretty suspect, so doesn't fit the stretch 5 profile.

Maybe a poor man's Sabonis, with upside to be a lot more? He looks fairly good putting the ball on the floor and passing, but he may struggle with the NBA pace.

I'd be happy to see a Euro-movement, bring Şengün and Madar in, end the Edwards and Tacko experiment.

And I'm a sucker for cool diacritics. With a name like Alperen Şengün, he's got to be good! 8-)

I haven't seen him take a jumper in any of the highlight videos I've seen, but his FT% is good for a big, and in the single FT attempt I've been able to see, his form looks really nice; so you have to bullish on his ability to extend to the 3p line. Even if not, he's got amazing footwork in the low post with an array of shot- and pass- fakes and he has some crazy passes out of double-teams. I dunno how useful lowpost scoring is in the NBA is the thing unless you also back it up by being a great defensive anchor too. it just requires running the offense through you when you're in the game and unless you're super dominant I think it's just an ineffective way to run an offense. He looks like he's Kanter with more athleticism and defensive potential which is quite a good player. Some of the competition in this league looks lol bad.

He's in the same league as Shane Larkin so you know the quality of the league is quite bad.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#10 » by CelticsPride18 » Wed May 5, 2021 10:56 pm

I like Kai Jones and Usman Garuba. 2 versatile big man to replace TT after his contract is up.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#11 » by canman1971 » Wed May 5, 2021 10:58 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Is this meant to be a hybrid draft/trade/FA thread?

I'd stick to the draft at least until the season is "over" as the Celtics can't trade for anyone and and won't be signing any free agents anytime soon.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#12 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 5, 2021 11:18 pm

canman1971 wrote:

I'd stick to the draft at least until the season is "over" as the Celtics can't trade for anyone and and won't be signing any free agents anytime soon.

People WILL discuss trades and so on. Where would you least dislike having them do this?
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics

Post#13 » by canman1971 » Thu May 6, 2021 2:36 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

People WILL discuss trades and so on. Where would you least dislike having them do this?

Post them in HERE, if it tickles your fancy. I was just trying to be logical and was just stating my opinion. You asked a question and I just gave my thoughts. I, in no way, rule this thread, nor board.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#14 » by playa-hater » Thu May 6, 2021 3:39 am

I want to give everyone a nice head start, but can't resist. Watching-analyzing film is my binkie.

While most want a stretch 4 man (I agree) I just don't see many choices YET. Not around our pick. I also don't see how this is a special draft like some call it. There will be good players-steals-sleepers for sure though.

Does seem like it is full of combo guards or undersized wings.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#16 » by playa-hater » Thu May 6, 2021 4:11 am

CelticsPride18 wrote:I like Kai Jones and Usman Garuba. 2 versatile big man to replace TT after his contract is up.

not quite the same player but Kai reminds me of Timelord with the speed of his bounce. would be a great long-term investment. but I also think he will be gone before Boston. but way too early for sure.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#17 » by GoGreen » Thu May 6, 2021 5:03 am

Funny we're talking about Kai Jones. Watching a breakdown on him right now. I'd be super happy with him!

6'10" incredible athlete that can defend 1-5. High motor, tough. Very low volume 3 pt shooter, but he does take the shot. Give him more reps & confidence, could end up being decent on that end.

Feel like he's got Brad Stevens type player written all over him. Gonna be watching some more breakdowns; draft season is always fun
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#18 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 6, 2021 5:40 am

My general view is that we should roll with the perimeter guys we have, some of whom can defend most PFs in the league:
-- Tatum
-- Brown
-- Fournier
-- Nesmith
-- Smart
-- Pritchard
-- Walker
-- Prospect: Langford

In games where those guys are supposed to divvy up 4 x 48 = 192 minutes, that depth is about right.

Where we're thin is bigs, especially in games where bigs are supposed to handle more than 48 minutes total. This is both because:
-- The only unquestionably good player we have in the role who's obviously going to be around long-term is Rob.
-- A few (super)stars aside, different kinds of bigs are best for different situations.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,966

Post#19 » by darrendaye » Thu May 6, 2021 11:50 am

Thrown away in trade to dump Thompson's contract? I'd like to see if Ainge will repeat this 3 drafts in a row. /sarcasm

I'm leaning toward Prkacin as I don't see Kai Jones lasting past the mid-teens.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#20 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 6, 2021 12:22 pm

Stretch big is probably the most overrated archetype. A Lauri or a Bjelica is just a wing that can't dribble and defend.

Return to Boston Celtics