Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#781 » by Ruzious » Mon May 3, 2021 2:33 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I think our special teams just got a potential upgrade with all these fast fierce playmakers. Players who are raw but athletic and motivated will be scrapping for jobs, seems to me this is an opportunity for guys like St Juste, Darrick Forrest, Toney, to show competitive fire. I wonder if that is part of the RR methodology. Get athletes, speed in particular, if they aren't ready they can still add savagery to your special teams squads while they develop.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Looks that way, I remember Dexter Manley lined up wide on special teams flying down field on punts with little CBs trying to block him. Then Charles Mann doing the same a few years later. It’ll be fun to have a DE on ST in the gunner role again. I mean why have a wide receiver do it when we have a DE that can run like Toney & Bradley-King.

Gotta figure it's going to come down to 1 roster spot between Toney and Bradley-King. Too bad, because both look deserving of a spot. Bradley-King has the size and power advantage while Toney is the better athlete.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#782 » by doclinkin » Mon May 3, 2021 3:00 pm

Ruzious wrote:And Toney's not just a guy who did well in workouts; he was a producer for 4 years at Penn State - BT first team all-rookie as a redshirt frosh, 2nd team all-BT as a soph and junior, 1st team all-BT as a senior. I expect he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder - and more importantly, he's a football player. He'll learn to play LBer in the NFL. Bleacher Report gave him a 2nd round grade.

And a team captain. That sort of scrapper is the profile for the middle linebacker types who end up quarterbacking the defense once the game starts to slow for them.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#783 » by doclinkin » Mon May 3, 2021 3:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I think our special teams just got a potential upgrade with all these fast fierce playmakers. Players who are raw but athletic and motivated will be scrapping for jobs, seems to me this is an opportunity for guys like St Juste, Darrick Forrest, Toney, to show competitive fire. I wonder if that is part of the RR methodology. Get athletes, speed in particular, if they aren't ready they can still add savagery to your special teams squads while they develop.

Looks that way, I remember Dexter Manley lined up wide on special teams flying down field on punts with little CBs trying to block him. Then Charles Mann doing the same a few years later. It’ll be fun to have a DE on ST in the gunner role again. I mean why have a wide receiver do it when we have a DE that can run like Toney & Bradley-King.

Gotta figure it's going to come down to 1 roster spot between Toney and Bradley-King. Too bad, because both look deserving of a spot. Bradley-King has the size and power advantage while Toney is the better athlete.

Looking at the depth chart, you never know. Depends on how adaptable they prove to be. If Toney can play as weakside linebacker while he learns the rest, he will be fine. And defenses will be keyed up to stop our beasts up from so there will be opportunities even for a smaller faster Edge rusher DE/LB hybrid type to turn a corner on the QB. Either way, special teams play will also be key. Ron Rivera was a linebacker/special teams player for the Bears, but in highschool he was the QB, linebacker, punter, placekicker, etc. I think this is why he likes selecting versatile athletes and playing them wherever they fit. A Football Player as Madden would say.

Still even if one of the draftees slips to our practice squad, RR tends to reward guys who work hard and play fast. There is always an opportunity that shows up mid-season. He will promote a hungry guy from within not just search waiver wires and retreads.

Either way our defense is looking to be even more dynamic. Looking at the depth chart makes me shake my head. No matter how terrible the team has been, ever few years we would get a year or two out of players like Sean Taylor or LaVar who made it worth it to tune in whether or not the offense was playing well. On this team we have a marquee spotlight player in Chase Young, but guys up and down the depth chart who are worth watching.

We do need upgrades in our safety corps. I think. But hey. It's fun to actually want to pay attention again.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#784 » by Ruzious » Mon May 3, 2021 3:43 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:

Looking at the depth chart, you never know. Depends on how adaptable they prove to be. If Toney can play as weakside linebacker while he learns the rest, he will be fine. And defenses will be keyed up to stop our beasts up from so there will be opportunities even for a smaller faster Edge rusher DE/LB hybrid type to turn a corner on the QB. Either way, special teams play will also be key. Ron Rivera was a linebacker/special teams player for the Bears, but in highschool he was the QB, linebacker, punter, placekicker, etc. I think this is why he likes selecting versatile athletes and playing them wherever they fit. A Football Player as Madden would say.

Still even if one of the draftees slips to our practice squad, RR tends to reward guys who work hard and play fast. There is always an opportunity that shows up mid-season. He will promote a hungry guy from within not just search waiver wires and retreads.

Either way our defense is looking to be even more dynamic. Looking at the depth chart makes me shake my head. No matter how terrible the team has been, ever few years we would get a year or two out of players like Sean Taylor or LaVar who made it worth it to tune in whether or not the offense was playing well. On this team we have a marquee spotlight player in Chase Young, but guys up and down the depth chart who are worth watching.

We do need upgrades in our safety corps. I think. But hey. It's fun to actually want to pay attention again.

Indeed. And the safety they drafted in the 6th round looks like a high potential player. If we can add a solid free safety in free agency, we could have one of the top defenses in the league - on paper. I think that's really the only hole left - aside from QB of the future - which will come next year. We even have a long-snapper!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#785 » by doclinkin » Mon May 3, 2021 5:02 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Indeed. And the safety they drafted in the 6th round looks like a high potential player. If we can add a solid free safety in free agency, we could have one of the top defenses in the league - on paper. I think that's really the only hole left - aside from QB of the future - which will come next year. We even have a long-snapper![/quote]

Darrick Forrest. Yeah, breaks well on the ball, reads the QB and the routes well, good but not great hands, long arms for his height, though he's not all that tall. He's solid coverage safety, not scared to tackle but not a scary hitter. Looks to me like he is in the right position though with fast enough pursuit speed if action happens across the field. Looks to me like he will have to get stronger though to be a difference maker. Still you can build strength, its tougher to build vision.

He's another one that looks to go hell for leather on Special Teams in order to make a mark.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#786 » by Dat2U » Mon May 3, 2021 6:14 pm

Cosmi, Brown & Toney were my favorite picks. I'm glad they didn't bite on a mediocre QB prospect just because.

Gives them a chance to go all in on Rodgers or Watson (if his off field situation ever gets resolved)
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#787 » by BearlyBallin » Mon May 3, 2021 6:17 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Patterson, RB fills one spot after releasing the 2 WRs, gives us 89 out of 90 max they can carry on the roster.

Mini rookie camp is in two weeks but participation is limited this year to draft picks and 5 invitees. Not sure if Reyes and Patterson count towards the invitees or if they are considered picks. In the past they’ve signed 1 or 2 invitees after rookie camps but they’ve also invited a lot more players in the past. COVID rules for this year are hard to keep up with.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#788 » by Ruzious » Mon May 3, 2021 7:03 pm

Tre Boston seems like a good veteran free agent to go after. He's a very talented FS good in coverage who's had a very inconsistent career, but playing behind a great front 4 could hide his problems - other than his questionable tackling - which is why he won't be expensive to sign, lol. He'll be frustrating at times, but he'll also make a lot of big plays. 27 years old.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#789 » by Wizardspride » Mon May 3, 2021 10:46 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#790 » by TGW » Tue May 4, 2021 2:27 am

They got two, arguably three starters in the draft. That is an automatic A+ draft IMO.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#791 » by Ruzious » Tue May 4, 2021 11:26 am

A double benefit of the Dyami Brown pick - If he works out, that lets the Skins use Samuel as the slot receiver. https://markbullock.substack.com/p/what-wr-curtis-samuel-brings-to-washington?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#792 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 4, 2021 10:20 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#793 » by Wizardspride » Tue May 4, 2021 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#794 » by likwitdesi » Tue May 4, 2021 11:01 pm

They need to bring Kerrigan back and the other big need is a true TE2 like Darren Fells. Chase Young is likely to miss time during the season and I don't know you can count on Smith Williams or one of these undersized 7th rounders. Bates profiles as a blocking TE3 to me and I have major reservations that Reyes will be able to contribute right out of the gate. Fells is 35 but he was effective as a TE2 in Houston last year and he is a great blocker. Former pro bball player too so he'd be a good mentor for Reyes.

I think you ultimately find a reason to send Reyes to IR so you give him a year to develop and learn football
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#795 » by likwitdesi » Tue May 4, 2021 11:03 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

With the drafting of Cosmi, T & Bates, TE and now this UDFA RB Patterson, I’d love to see a big goal line package like the Jumbo one from the Gibbs era. I’m tired of seeing this team struggle inside the 5 yard line. It’s why I wanted Trey Smith from Tennessee in the 6th round but I understand why they took the Cheeseman Long Snapper after Carolina took the Alabama LS 2 picks earlier. There’s a drop off in LS after these two.

I’ve seen him described as a wrecking ball short yardage RB that can break tackles and make sharp cuts. They also say he can pass protect. Let’s us leak out Bates, who I’m hopeful can be that Don Warren type of TE this team needs.

I badly wanted Ben Mason instead of Bates. Mason at his size reminds me of a Mike Sellers type of fullback you can also have as a blocking TE. The guy is also a goal line threat as a runner and would've helped to eliminate the need for Barber from the team
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#796 » by BearlyBallin » Wed May 5, 2021 4:17 am

likwitdesi wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

With the drafting of Cosmi, T & Bates, TE and now this UDFA RB Patterson, I’d love to see a big goal line package like the Jumbo one from the Gibbs era. I’m tired of seeing this team struggle inside the 5 yard line. It’s why I wanted Trey Smith from Tennessee in the 6th round but I understand why they took the Cheeseman Long Snapper after Carolina took the Alabama LS 2 picks earlier. There’s a drop off in LS after these two.

I’ve seen him described as a wrecking ball short yardage RB that can break tackles and make sharp cuts. They also say he can pass protect. Let’s us leak out Bates, who I’m hopeful can be that Don Warren type of TE this team needs.

I badly wanted Ben Mason instead of Bates. Mason at his size reminds me of a Mike Sellers type of fullback you can also have as a blocking TE. The guy is also a goal line threat as a runner and would've helped to eliminate the need for Barber from the team

Guess they went with Bates taller & 10 lbs heavier then Mason. But honestly I did wonder how Mason could be used in the Offense. I’ll probably be peaking at Raven games to see how Mason looks.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#797 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:11 am

My guess is we wanted another pass catcher incase rates **** the bed and can't hold on to a ball.
BearlyBallin wrote:
likwitdesi wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Guess they went with Bates taller & 10 lbs heavier then Mason. But honestly I did wonder how Mason could be used in the Offense. I’ll probably be peaking at Raven games to see how Mason looks.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#798 » by doclinkin » Wed May 5, 2021 4:55 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

UDFA RB Jaret Patterson

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If you get 1 or 2 UDFA's make the team, you've done well, and I think he'll do that. I think he'll blend well with Gibson, because he's a completely different style runner. He's like Warrick Dunn used to be - a small RB who runs up the middle and is able to instantly see the little creases - runs like a power back with no wasted motion on quick breaking plays, while Gibson is more of an outside runner on slower developing plays. And Patterson can also catch the ball well -according to scouting reports. Along with McKissic, I think that's our RB by committee.

In looking at footage of Jaret Patterson I was struck with how solid, even dominant, the Buffalo front line was in the running game. They didn't just open holes they frogmarched opposing lines backwards up the field. I don't know who they had on that squad, but if any went undrafted shoot, scouts should be looking.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#799 » by Wizardspride » Wed May 5, 2021 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#800 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:45 pm

Other teams can beat this, and they have the leverage. They would probably ask for chase young or allen or someone else off limits.
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards