Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Charlie_S
Rookie
And1: 87

Re: Future Free Agent Thread, Part 2 

Post#381 » by Charlie_S » Wed May 5, 2021 5:43 am

Charlie_S wrote:I believe that this summer a bunch of NBA teams are going to be taking a look at Shavon Shields. He's Will Shields' son for those of you that follow the NFL (I don't but I'm pretty sure that name rings a bell). He played college ball at Nebraska, went undrafted in 2016 and has since built himself an excellent career overseas, playing very well in high-level, successful clubs. He's now 27 and in his prime.

Shields just led his team to the Euroleague Final Four with a 34 point performance on 9/12 shooting. This guy should be an NBA player next season.

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,284

Post#382 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 5, 2021 7:21 am

I kind of like the idea of trying to get Kelly Olynyk. I think he'd fit pretty well and do a lot of things we need from the power forward position.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,737

Post#383 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 5, 2021 3:21 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I kind of like the idea of trying to get Kelly Olynyk. I think he'd fit pretty well and do a lot of things we need from the power forward position.

I was hoping he would be bought out but I doubt he signs with Utah because Favors would take his minutes.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#384 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:54 pm

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I kind of like the idea of trying to get Kelly Olynyk. I think he'd fit pretty well and do a lot of things we need from the power forward position.

I was hoping he would be bought out but I doubt he signs with Utah because Favors would take his minutes.

I don't think we'd play Olynyk at center unless someone was hurt. I'd imagine something like:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Olynyk 26/Bogdanovic 22
Bogdanovic 8/Ingles 16/O'neale 24
Mitchell 16/Clarkson 24/Ingles 8
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#385 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 5, 2021 10:21 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

I don't think we'd play Olynyk at center unless someone was hurt. I'd imagine something like:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Olynyk 26/Bogdanovic 22
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I am okay with him taking Niangs minutes, that would be ideal in all actuality.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#386 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 21, 2021 9:37 pm

2 year MLE for Oladipo? He misses all of next season, but then if he comes back healthy we have him on a huge discount + bird rights?

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#387 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 21, 2021 10:41 pm

babyjax13 wrote:2 year MLE for Oladipo? He misses all of next season, but then if he comes back healthy we have him on a huge discount + bird rights?

Will we even have the MLE? Feel like it would be the Taxpayers MLE.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#388 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:12 pm

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:2 year MLE for Oladipo? He misses all of next season, but then if he comes back healthy we have him on a huge discount + bird rights?

Will we even have the MLE? Feel like it would be the Taxpayers MLE.

Yah, it will be the taxpayer MLE. Still, if he misses an entire season it may be a competitive offer.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#389 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 27, 2021 5:20 am

Tyreke Evans?
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#390 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:35 am

GobertReport wrote:Tyreke Evans?

Banned from the NBA. Can apply for reinstatement "in 2021", not sure if that means he'd be eligible to play next season, or the season after.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#391 » by AingesBurner » Fri May 28, 2021 3:47 am

babyjax13 wrote:

Banned from the NBA. Can apply for reinstatement "in 2021", not sure if that means he'd be eligible to play next season, or the season after.

I think he’s eligible after this season.
Ingles is cooked.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#392 » by babyjax13 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:48 am

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing what he has in the tank. You can never have too many big wings who can handle the ball.

JColl
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#393 » by pickIBL » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:40 am

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Olynyk 26/Bogdanovic 22
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I actually think the jazz need the option of a small ball stretch 5 just to have options. A guy who is a forward that can play up.

That and maybe this is unpopular but schroder and chris paul played well together. I could see him and DM on the floor together with a more than capable 6th man ready off the bench.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#394 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:41 am

pickIBL wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Olynyk 26/Bogdanovic 22
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

I actually think the jazz need the option of a small ball stretch 5 just to have options. A guy who is a forward that can play up.

That and maybe this is unpopular but schroder and chris paul played well together. I could see him and DM on the floor together with a more than capable 6th man ready off the bench.

Schroder was a lockerroom problem in Atlanta and seems to have worn out his welcome in LA, too. Stylistically it could probably work, I just don't think he's a good addition to a team that has had a bit of tension in the last two seasons. Totally agree with you re: the need for a 4/5.

JColl
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#395 » by pickIBL » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:02 am

babyjax13 wrote:
pickIBL wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Gobert 34/Favors 14
Olynyk 26/Bogdanovic 22
Conley 30/Mitchell 18

Schroder was a lockerroom problem in Atlanta and seems to have worn out his welcome in LA, too. Stylistically it could probably work, I just don't think he's a good addition to a team that has had a bit of tension in the last two seasons. Totally agree with you re: the need for a 4/5.

I know. But schroder has something i dont think the jazz can get anywhere else.

The clips got down 0-2 then came out and pressured and defended well way out. The plan was we cant stop DM but one man aint enough.

You throw schroder an dm out there together and they cant defend like that without getting broken down.

My view for the jazz is that they need to apply a little pressure to slow teams down just a little from getting into their offense. Not over play. Just some pressure to just push the opponent off. Then you close out hard on the snipers and give a good contest for average shooters.

Make average shooters shoot over us. Run snipers off the 3pt line and with gobert in the middle make them mid range scorers.

But it would take defensive schemes to keep gobert home. And if you know your personel and control the boards you win the series. Let average shooters beat you outside and run the snipers off.

If they've had to work to bring the ball up they'll have a little less time to break the D down. And of course the other component is shot selection. The better the jazz selection is the less long rebounds.

And as always it comes down to effort. When that shot goes up you've got to secure the rebound.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#396 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:11 am

babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing what he has in the tank. You can never have too many big wings who can handle the ball.

Definitely!
Ingles is cooked.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,924

Post#397 » by tugs » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 pm

GobertReport wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
GobertReport wrote:

Definitely!
While we're at it, OJ Mayo and Michael Beasley
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#398 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:39 pm

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#399 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:57 am

Maybe take a chance on DJ Wilson? He would be cheap, occasionally flashes promise, is young and at a minimum could play small ball center when needed.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#400 » by CAE15 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:27 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:Maybe take a chance on DJ Wilson? He would be cheap, occasionally flashes promise, is young and at a minimum could play small ball center when needed.
I mean a training camp invite might not be the worst idea if he doesn't get a QO from Houston. He's odd. He'll look incredibly athletic at times and other times he'll look like a guard just trying their damndest to finish over a bigger defender. Not much of a rebounder and doesn't really use his size. 7'3 wing span and he has 42 career blocks in nearly 1800 career minutes. Could potentially be a stretch big and you could do worse on a minimum contract. I don't think I'd be confident in him playing small ball center for us however. Still these guys that are mid 20s that haven't latched on are definitely some guys we should be looking at, I hope our two RMR teams are loaded with athleticism

Return to Utah Jazz