Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Game 66: Portland Trail Blazers (36-29) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (21-44) - 7.30PM 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed May 5, 2021 6:44 pm

Read on Twitter
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Re: Game 66: Portland Trail Blazers (36-29) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (21-44) - 7.30PM 

Post#2 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 6, 2021 2:56 pm

Jarrett Allen end up +2 in this blowout, while Kevin Love was -45. :lol:

It wasn't easy.

The starters would fall behind the Blazers, then Love would go to the bench, and the remaining starters would bounce back. Love then brought his "magic" to the bench unit which got destroyed.

Dean Wade was 3-4 on his 3pters and helped the starters when Love sat, but the problem was we could only get him 4 looks.

Hartenstein somehow managed -29 in just 12 minutes (mostly all with Love on the floor).

We're usually alright on the second night of back to backs in terms of energy, I get we're short handed but maybe JBB should have just given Kevin the night off and started Wade and used Kabengele?

If Kevin was trying to impress a team that might want to trade for him, I doubt they won't look deeper than the 18-11 he plopped in the box score.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,638

Re: Game 66: Portland Trail Blazers (36-29) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (21-44) - 7.30PM 

Post#3 » by toooskies » Thu May 6, 2021 3:15 pm

It's impressive to be a -45 and still have a decent stat line otherwise, 50% shooting and 40% from three, 8 boards for 26 minutes on the floor, no turnovers, only one foul.

But letting Kanter and Giles go 12/14 inside the arc just kills you.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 6, 2021 5:39 pm

I'm glad I missed this game. Hopefully Kevin puts some serious thought into how he wants to end his career this summer. The Cavs problems go beyond him, but it's pretty clear that he belongs in a second unit that consists of mostly good defenders at this point.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 6, 2021 6:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm glad I missed this game. Hopefully Kevin puts some serious thought into how he wants to end his career this summer. The Cavs problems go beyond him, but it's pretty clear that he belongs in a second unit that consists of mostly good defenders at this point.

With Kevin still not close to 100% coming off an injury this should had been a game where we gave Wade another chance to start and show what he can do. Was Love pushing to start to try to show Portland why they should trade for him?

Whatever.

The losses work, and we can re-visit next season when he's had a whole Summer to recuperate.

As much as I like Dean Wade, he's not the player you push Kevin Love aside to create playing time for. If we draft Mobley and he's out-playing Kevin or at least playing decently on defense? Tough for a rook, but sure thing.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,081

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 6, 2021 6:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'm glad I missed this game. Hopefully Kevin puts some serious thought into how he wants to end his career this summer. The Cavs problems go beyond him, but it's pretty clear that he belongs in a second unit that consists of mostly good defenders at this point.

With Kevin still not close to 100% coming off an injury this should had been a game where we gave Wade another chance to start and show what he can do. Was Love pushing to start to try to show Portland why they should trade for him?

Whatever.

The losses work, and we can re-visit next season when he's had a whole Summer to recuperate.

As much as I like Dean Wade, he's not the player you push Kevin Love aside to create playing time for. If we draft Mobley and he's out-playing Kevin or at least playing decently on defense? Tough for a rook, but sure thing.

I can't make an objective case for Love starting ahead of Nance based on his recent play. Maybe he puts in the work this summer, maybe he doesn't. This dumpster fire of a season is basically over, but part of developing young guys is putting them in a position to succeed on the court. If you can't put them in the best position to succeed on the court with Kevin as a starter next season, then he shouldn't start. I'm done *auditioning* him at this point. I'm not convinced you're increasing his trade value.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Thu May 6, 2021 7:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Whatever.

I can't make an objective case for Love starting ahead of Nance based on his recent play. Maybe he puts in the work this summer, maybe he doesn't. This dumpster fire of a season is basically over, but part of developing young guys is putting them in a position to succeed on the court. If you can't put them in the best position to succeed on the court with Kevin as a starter next season, then he shouldn't start. I'm done *auditioning* him at this point. I'm not convinced you're increasing his trade value.

I'm guilty of forgetting about Larry again, but you've got to admit ... it's pretty easy to do when he can't stay healthy. Even before missing almost half this season I've mentioned it was questionable if he could ever be our starter because of Crohn's.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers