ImageImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Who do you guys want the most assuming all of these players are within our range

James Bouknight
24%
Ayo Dosunmo
6%
Tre Mann
12%
Davion Mitchell
12%
Josh Giddey
18%
Jared Butler
8%
Ziaire Williams
6%
BJ Boston
2%
Moses Moody
4%
Sharife Cooper
8%

Total votes: 122

robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,851

Re: 2020-2021 College/Draft Thread Part 3 

Post#181 » by robillionaire » Wed May 5, 2021 2:42 am

WargamesX wrote:
cgf wrote:That's basically what I'm hoping for; Ziare, Butler, & Murphy. Kids who could contribute early on if called upon by injuries, but with the big homerun swing in Williams; who is potentially a perfect partner for Julius & Rowan.

I keep trying to see it with Ziare but I can’t. I mean I was wrong about Jaden McDaniel so I am not saying he won’t be good. He just looks he’ll need time and Knicks aren’t about that anymore :nonono: .

I actually found myself on that BJ Boston train. He’s flawed and his time in UK stunk but you can see where he looks like he should be at least a NBA roleplayer sooner than later.

Agree, would take BJ with any of our late 1sts or 32nd don’t care
NYK Dolemite
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,202

Post#182 » by NYK Dolemite » Wed May 5, 2021 5:55 pm

Wow, just realized that I have zero idea about this draft. Usually the Knicks are a) so bad that they are hard to watch so I watch more college ball and b) we usually have traded away our high pick, so I hate watch the draft stars we gave up for some Italian lady.

This year I’m so grateful to not know anything. Hopefully we can package our 32nd pick with Dallas to get a useful piece for our title defense next year!
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 685

Post#183 » by -YogiBiz- » Wed May 5, 2021 6:22 pm

WargamesX wrote:
cgf wrote:That's basically what I'm hoping for; Ziare, Butler, & Murphy. Kids who could contribute early on if called upon by injuries, but with the big homerun swing in Williams; who is potentially a perfect partner for Julius & Rowan.

I keep trying to see it with Ziare but I can’t. I mean I was wrong about Jaden McDaniel so I am not saying he won’t be good. He just looks he’ll need time and Knicks aren’t about that anymore :nonono: .

I actually found myself on that BJ Boston train. He’s flawed and his time in UK stunk but you can see where he looks like he should be at least a NBA roleplayer sooner than later.

BJ Boston big trash.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 9,496

Post#184 » by cgf » Wed May 5, 2021 6:26 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
WargamesX wrote:

BJ Boston big trash.

BJ Boston big question mark.

I may gripe about Ziaire's situation, being stuck on a veteran team that played through Wills & da Silva too much and was on the road all year because of the virus; but Kentucky was an absolute mess this season. I don't know how you can evaluate anyone from that roster properly and depending on what we do with our firsts, he could be a really interesting option for that Piston's pick.

He's just way more of a question mark to me. Whereas I am confident that Ziaire has the basketball instincts / understanding-of-the-game & resiliency to make the most of his tools...even if it'll take him a while before he can reach his full realistic-ceiling.
cgmw wrote:Basically, in conclusion: I'd like Dolan to get off my lawn.

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#185 » by newyorker4ever » Thu May 6, 2021 11:24 pm

Angryfatboy wrote:
WargamesX wrote:Are there any really good D&3 prospects in this draft?

Another 3D guy that declared for the draft, Danny green material

Chris Duarte my favorite 3-D guy in this draft.
camillepd
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#186 » by camillepd » Fri May 7, 2021 12:30 am

The Atlantic came out with their new mock draft today. They have the Knicks picking:

21. Isiah Jackson
22.Chris Duarte
32. Bj Boston
55. Marcus Garrett

21. New York Knicks
Isaiah Jackson | 6-10 center | 18 years old, freshman | Kentucky
The player: A fascinating situation, as Jackson is considering returning to school, per The Athletic’s Kyle Tucker. That tracks with what agents and scouts I’ve talked to have been told as well. Jackson could certainly use another year in college to iron out some of the more raw parts of his game. Having said that, he showed genuine growth, especially late in the season. NBA teams would assuredly take a chance on him somewhere in Round 1, potentially even in the late lottery, due to his elite-level physical tools. He’s 6-10 with a 7-3 wingspan and all sorts of twitchy explosiveness. He is the prototypical run-and-jump, play-finishing, shot-swatting center prospect and has the athleticism to legitimately do it.

The fit: The Knicks obviously have a track record of looking toward the Kentucky program for players, with Julius Randle, Immanuel Quickley, Nerlens Noel and Kevin Knox on the roster, plus John Calipari-coached Derrick Rose. In this case, drafting Jackson could give them some insurance if they decide not to pay Mitchell Robinson this summer. And frankly, given the way their defense has operated with Noel in the middle after Robinson was injured, I don’t think I’d be beating down the door to pay Robinson $15 million-plus per season. Drafting a center like Jackson could give them the kind of high upside that Robinson also presents while restarting the rookie contract timeline and keeping the salary-cap sheet clean for other fits this summer and into the future. With how competent the Knicks finally look, it’s not hard to envision a circumstance where New York is the destination.

Kentucky’s Isaiah Jackson throws down an easy dunk against Missouri in February. (L.G. Patterson / Associated Press)
22. New York Knicks (via DAL)
Chris Duarte | 6-6 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oregon
The player: Some evaluators have docked Duarte for his age, as he’d be the oldest prospect in the first round. But I think his game is so tailor-made for the NBA that he’s not going to have any problem making an immediate impact. He’s an All-Defense member in the Pac-12 and a genuine playmaker with how disruptive his hands are in the backcourt with length at 6-6. And on offense, he’s a legit 40-plus percent 3-point shooter who can also handle the ball and make comfortable decisions. Duarte has high-level role player written all over him.

The fit: The Knicks have a lot of smaller guards in the backcourt with guys such as Quickley, Rose and Elfrid Payton. Duarte could really fit as a role player who gives them some length and shooting next to RJ Barrett or Quickley long-term. He’s a versatile chess piece whom coaches can utilize in a variety of ways. And with the Jackson selection above and the potential to chase real high-level free agents, I think a safer pick on a player with a higher degree of likelihood to become a good, cost-controlled role player early in his career makes sense.
newyorker4ever
RealGM
And1: 4,545

Post#187 » by newyorker4ever » Fri May 7, 2021 12:53 am

camillepd wrote:The Atlantic came out with their new mock draft today. They have the Knicks picking:

21. Isiah Jackson
22.Chris Duarte
32. Bj Boston
55. Marcus Garrett

21. New York Knicks
The player: A fascinating situation, as Jackson is considering returning to school, per The Athletic’s Kyle Tucker. That tracks with what agents and scouts I’ve talked to have been told as well. Jackson could certainly use another year in college to iron out some of the more raw parts of his game. Having said that, he showed genuine growth, especially late in the season. NBA teams would assuredly take a chance on him somewhere in Round 1, potentially even in the late lottery, due to his elite-level physical tools. He’s 6-10 with a 7-3 wingspan and all sorts of twitchy explosiveness. He is the prototypical run-and-jump, play-finishing, shot-swatting center prospect and has the athleticism to legitimately do it.

The fit: The Knicks obviously have a track record of looking toward the Kentucky program for players, with Julius Randle, Immanuel Quickley, Nerlens Noel and Kevin Knox on the roster, plus John Calipari-coached Derrick Rose. In this case, drafting Jackson could give them some insurance if they decide not to pay Mitchell Robinson this summer. And frankly, given the way their defense has operated with Noel in the middle after Robinson was injured, I don’t think I’d be beating down the door to pay Robinson $15 million-plus per season. Drafting a center like Jackson could give them the kind of high upside that Robinson also presents while restarting the rookie contract timeline and keeping the salary-cap sheet clean for other fits this summer and into the future. With how competent the Knicks finally look, it’s not hard to envision a circumstance where New York is the destination.

Kentucky’s Isaiah Jackson throws down an easy dunk against Missouri in February. (L.G. Patterson / Associated Press)
The player: Some evaluators have docked Duarte for his age, as he’d be the oldest prospect in the first round. But I think his game is so tailor-made for the NBA that he’s not going to have any problem making an immediate impact. He’s an All-Defense member in the Pac-12 and a genuine playmaker with how disruptive his hands are in the backcourt with length at 6-6. And on offense, he’s a legit 40-plus percent 3-point shooter who can also handle the ball and make comfortable decisions. Duarte has high-level role player written all over him.

The fit: The Knicks have a lot of smaller guards in the backcourt with guys such as Quickley, Rose and Elfrid Payton. Duarte could really fit as a role player who gives them some length and shooting next to RJ Barrett or Quickley long-term. He’s a versatile chess piece whom coaches can utilize in a variety of ways. And with the Jackson selection above and the potential to chase real high-level free agents, I think a safer pick on a player with a higher degree of likelihood to become a good, cost-controlled role player early in his career makes sense.

Love me some Duarte but i wouldn't take Jackson at #21. Obviously don't know who was left on their board but i'm sure there's a few others i'd choose over Jackson.

Would also take Boston in the 2nd round. He's worth taking a shot on. Play him in G-League and let him play and learn and get better.
cgf
RealGM

Post#188 » by cgf » Fri May 7, 2021 12:54 am

camillepd wrote:The Atlantic came out with their new mock draft today.

[snip]

Outta curiousity, where did they have Keon Johnson, Ziaire Williams, Jared Butler & Trey Murphy going?

Capn'O wrote:We're not the kid cousin. We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#189 » by camillepd » Fri May 7, 2021 1:30 am

Keon Johnson # 7 to Kings. Zaire Williams # 17 to OKC. Jared Butler # 25 to 76ers and Trey Murphy # 40 to the Pelicans.
camillepd
Assistant Coach

Post#190 » by camillepd » Fri May 7, 2021 1:36 am

Their second round board:

31. Milwaukee (via HOU): Bones Hyland | 6-3 guard | 20 years old | VCU

32. New York (via DET): Brandon Boston Jr. | 6-7 wing | 19 years old, freshman | Kentucky

33. Orlando: Josh Christopher | 6-4 guard | 19 years old, freshman | Arizona State

34. Oklahoma City (via MIN): Rokas Jokubaitis | 6-4 lead guard | 20 years old | Zalgiris

35. Oklahoma City: Isaiah Todd | 6-10 big | 19 years old | G League Ignite

36. New Orleans (via CLE): Miles McBride | 6-2 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | West Virginia

37. Sacramento: Joel Ayayi | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Gonzaga

38. Chicago: Luka Garza | 6-11 center | 22 years old, senior | Iowa

39. Detroit (via TOR): Terrence Shannon Jr. | 6-5 wing | 20 years old, sophomore | Texas Tech

40. New Orleans: Trey Murphy | 6-8 wing | 20 years old, junior | Virginia

41. Brooklyn (via IND): Greg Brown | 6-8 forward | 19 years old, freshman | Texas

42. New Orleans (via WAS): Santi Aldama | 6-10 big | 20 years old, sophomore | Loyola (MD)

43. Toronto (via GSW): Charles Bassey | 6-10 center | 20 years old, junior | Western Kentucky

44. San Antonio: Matthew Hurt | 6-9 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Duke

45. Detroit (via CHA): Daishen Nix | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | G League Ignite

46. Toronto (via MEM): David Duke | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Providence

47. Atlanta (via MIA): David Johnson | 6-5 guard | 20 years old, sophomore | Louisville

48. Boston: Raiquan Gray | 6-8 forward | 21 years old, junior | Florida State

49. Brooklyn (via ATL): Moses Wright | 6-9 big | 22 years old, senior | Georgia Tech

50. Memphis (via POR): Herbert Jones | 6-7 wing |22 years old, senior | Alabama

51. Philadelphia (via NYK): Austin Reaves | 6-5 guard | 23 years old, senior | Oklahoma

52. New Orleans (via DAL): Filip Petrusev | 7-0 center | 21 years old | Mega

53. Detroit (via LAL): Trendon Watford | 6-9 forward | 20 years old, sophomore | LSU

54. Indiana (via MIL): Kofi Cockburn | 6-11 center | 20 years old, sophomore | Illinois

55. New York (via PHI): Marcus Garrett | 6-5 guard | 22 years old, senior | Kansas

56. Oklahoma City (via DEN): Neemias Queta | 7-0 center | 21 years old, junior | Utah State

57. Charlotte (via LAC): Sandro Mamukelashvili | 6-11 big | 22 years old, senior | Seton Hall

58. Charlotte (via BKN): Derrick Alston Jr. | 6-9 wing | 22 years old, senior | Boise State

59. Brooklyn (via PHX): Ariel Hukporti | 6-11 center | 19 years old | Nevezis

60. Indiana (via UTA): Quentin Grimes | 6-5 guard | 21 years old, junior | Houston
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#191 » by NewKnicks » Fri May 7, 2021 5:14 am

https://theathletic.com/2554168/2021/05/06/2021-nba-mock-draft-4-0-davion-mitchell-josh-giddey-jump-into-top-10-plus-player-and-team-fits/

The Athletic's new mock. They do a really good job breaking down players. Kudo's to them.

Edit: Should have taken 30 seconds to check first if this was posted already. :lol:

Not surprisingly, as some of us on here have discussed for a long time, he projects all 4 top picks as future All-Star's, with Kominga being a 'maybe'.

At six he's got my guy Scottie Barnes. Love that kid. I think he falls in the 'potential future All-Star' category as well. Hopefully he gets with a good shooting coach who helps improve his form and technique (which I think he'll be able to do). He doesn't get a lot of elevation on his shot, and it's a bit stiff. But I think when the professional coaches get to work on him he can make some corrections and improve.

Barnes is a point-forward type player who can bring the ball up the court. He has an incredible 7'2 wingspan, and can guard 1-5 (at potentially an elite level). He's a playmaker at 6'9 and can really dish the ball. He plays with a passion you don't see from a lot of players. He plays to win, not rack up stats. He's a dog. Similar to Suggs in that regard. He's built to be a big wing in the league. Adept passing skills as well. The thing about him is he does everything else well, so even if his shot is not falling he's going to be able to impact games. With the skill set he has, he'll be around this league for a long time. I don't get the unnecessary bashing of him on here. He'll be a fan favorite wherever he ends up.

I won't spoil who the Knicks take if you'd like to take your time flipping through it before getting to the picks.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#192 » by NewKnicks » Fri May 7, 2021 5:15 am

Angryfatboy wrote:

I like Grimes. He's really flying under the radar.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#193 » by NewKnicks » Fri May 7, 2021 5:22 am

newyorker4ever wrote:
Angryfatboy wrote:

Chris Duarte my favorite 3-D guy in this draft.

The more I watch Duarte the more I'm coming around on him. I just can't get past the age thing with Obi being our pick last year. Can't do it. :lol:

Jokes aside, he's got a lot of skill. It's really a shame he's so damn old. I'd love to say he's a plug and play from day 1, but we see how that idea turned out last year. Remove his age, I'm all for it. From what I've heard he's a really hard worker and has a great head on his shoulders too. I like him a lot. DAMMIT OBI
NewKnicks
Sixth Man

Post#194 » by NewKnicks » Fri May 7, 2021 5:26 am

camillepd wrote:The Atlantic came out with their new mock draft today. They have the Knicks picking:

21. Isiah Jackson
22.Chris Duarte
32. Bj Boston
55. Marcus Garrett

21. New York Knicks

Didn't see this was posted already. Love the Atlantic. They decided to go backwards in time and actually produce a sports media outlet that cares more about quality than getting clicks. They're one of the only media/newspapers I'd consider giving a dime to for a subscription (although I haven't yet).
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#195 » by Richard4444 » Fri May 7, 2021 5:29 am

newyorker4ever wrote:

21. Isiah Jackson
22.Chris Duarte
32. Bj Boston
55. Marcus Garrett

21. New York Knicks

Love me some Duarte but i wouldn't take Jackson at #21. Obviously don't know who was left on their board but i'm sure there's a few others i'd choose over Jackson.

Would also take Boston in the 2nd round. He's worth taking a shot on. Play him in G-League and let him play and learn and get better.

Isaiah Jackson is almost a lock if he is available. Kentucky guy, Arguably the best rim protector of the class. We need a cheap big. It was rumored that we almost drafted Isaiah Stewart last draft, similar prospect. And we had drafted another big with #33 in Oturu.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Celo
Junior
And1: 150

Post#196 » by Celo » Fri May 7, 2021 7:40 am

NewKnicks wrote:https://theathletic.com/2554168/2021/05/06/2021-nba-mock-draft-4-0-davion-mitchell-josh-giddey-jump-into-top-10-plus-player-and-team-fits/

The Athletic's new mock. They do a really good job breaking down players. Kudo's to them.

Edit: Should have taken 30 seconds to check first if this was posted already. :lol:

Not surprisingly, as some of us on here have discussed for a long time, he projects all 4 top picks as future All-Star's, with Kominga being a 'maybe'.

At six he's got my guy Scottie Barnes. Love that kid. I think he falls in the 'potential future All-Star' category as well. Hopefully he gets with a good shooting coach who helps improve his form and technique (which I think he'll be able to do). He doesn't get a lot of elevation on his shot, and it's a bit stiff. But I think when the professional coaches get to work on him he can make some corrections and improve.

Barnes is a point-forward type player who can bring the ball up the court. He has an incredible 7'2 wingspan, and can guard 1-5 (at potentially an elite level). He's a playmaker at 6'9 and can really dish the ball. He plays with a passion you don't see from a lot of players. He plays to win, not rack up stats. He's a dog. Similar to Suggs in that regard. He's built to be a big wing in the league. Adept passing skills as well. The thing about him is he does everything else well, so even if his shot is not falling he's going to be able to impact games. With the skill set he has, he'll be around this league for a long time. I don't get the unnecessary bashing of him on here. He'll be a fan favorite wherever he ends up.

I won't spoil who the Knicks take if you'd like to take your time flipping through it before getting to the picks.

How will he contribute offensively, if teams will give him the Payton treatment? Barnes is a complete non-shooter at the moment. And to me, there are not many signs that it'll change in the near future. His passing - his only good offensive skill atm - will be neglected in the half-court completely. That's why I don't see All-Star Potential. Like what else does he do offensively on a level where you may think he has this upside? He can't shoot, he can't create his own shot and while he's not a bad finisher, he definitely isn't a great one.

Yes, he'll be a very good defender in the league, no doubt about that. But he isn't a good rim protector yet. And one might wonder how much potential in this regard he'll have, because amongst other things, he isn't the greatest vertical athlete. So to maximize him, you'd probably need to have a shooting rim protector + all the shooting you can get from the other positions on a team. So in my eyes, Rookie contract Barnes has only value to a handful of teams.

Don't get me wrong, Barnes isn't a bad player per se. I simply don't like his fit with us. We won't go that route, and that'll be the right decision, but if you wanna go for a raw wing with defensive versatility, then Garuba's the pick, and not Barnes.

If the draft would be tomorrow, I'd probably lean Springer btw. He's my favourite combo G of the draft besides Mitchell. Why? Because he's by far the best defender of the group (minus Mitchell ofc) and to me he's shown plenty playmaking flashes. Couple that with his youth and the fact that Tennessees Roster as well as their offense weren't the best circumstances for him, I feel like in a few years people will wonder why he went so low if he should go in the late teens as most mocks predict at the moment.
Dave DaButcher
Sixth Man
And1: 4,296

Post#197 » by Dave DaButcher » Fri May 7, 2021 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Someone please feed Holmgren. He makes rookie Porzingis look like Shaq.
cgf
RealGM

Post#198 » by cgf » Fri May 7, 2021 4:38 pm

Dave DaButcher wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Someone please feed Holmgren. He makes rookie Porzingis look like Shaq.

...and suddenly I'm even less concerned by Ziaire's frame :lol:

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 15,617

Post#199 » by stuporman » Fri May 7, 2021 5:04 pm

All these people saying Knicks won't keep multiple picks because Thibs won't play two rookies while watching a winning record team coached by Thibs playing two rookies....
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
cgf
RealGM

Post#200 » by cgf » Fri May 7, 2021 5:11 pm

stuporman wrote:All these people saying Knicks won't keep multiple picks because Thibs won't play two rookies while watching a winning record team coached by Thibs playing two rookies....

If starting RJ & Mitch, while consistently playing IQ more than Elf down the stretch of a playoff run, doesn't prove that Thibs hates kids; then I just don't know what will...

Return to New York Knicks