ImageImageImageImageImage

LAC Playoff Rondo Era Has Begun

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: LAC Playoff Rondo Era Has Begun 

Post#21 » by TheNewEra » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:45 pm

Think we need to be careful with expectations. He will go off at times like this but we still need the other higher priority guys to give us a major leap in help. Beverly/Morris/Zu need to stay focused and get back on track. Also think we have to find ways to get Kennard back into the rotation we can’t waste great shooting like that
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#22 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:03 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Think we need to be careful with expectations. He will go off at times like this but we still need the other higher priority guys to give us a major leap in help. Beverly/Morris/Zu need to stay focused and get back on track. Also think we have to find ways to get Kennard back into the rotation we can’t waste great shooting like that

Considering he pretty much just had a peak game his 3rd time in a Clipper uniform, you can say that again! 8-) But it's a really good sign that the potential is there for him to positively impact our offense.

I'm not worried about Kennard's minutes this season in the sense that others deserve the minutes, he's not losing minutes due to poor play. I hope they can keep him somewhat involved though, I'm sure there will be a time we Ty puts him in to shake things up in a game and hopefully he can deliver.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:47 pm

The most important part about having rondo is clutch time. Instead of PG and Kawhi wondering who’s gonna run the offense, Rondo is going to walk up the ball
Up court and run offense. Clippers never had that the last 3 seasons
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#24 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Playoffs are less than 20 games away.

Do WC teams at the top start to maneuver to get favorable first-round matchups or to avoid certain matches?

For instance, Lakers are #5 and Nuggets are #4. They'd be the first-round matchup. Clippers are 2 games ahead of the Nuggets.

All the top WC teams want nothing to do with the Lakers in the first-round, if in fact they finish #5 or lower.

Maybe no more load management for Kawhi and PG13 for the rest of the season until they lock up #3 seed? Of course the Lakers could #6 or #7 too.
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#25 » by Chronz » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:47 pm

Why did a team with such an elite offense need a qb/pg tho?

Reminds me of when Dallas had the best offense and tanked it by adding Rondo. But we're not looking for that from him, I hope.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,884

Post#26 » by esqtvd » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:16 am

Chronz wrote:Why did a team with such an elite offense need a qb/pg tho?

Reminds me of when Dallas had the best offense and tanked it by adding Rondo. But we're not looking for that from him, I hope.

One is last year's playoff collapse, which was more psychic than physical. Kawhi and PG are simply not natural leaders. Rondo is, especially at crunchtime.

Another is that Kawhi and PG are expending too much energy on playmaking that they could--should--be spending on scoring and defense.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Chronz
Starter
And1: 467

Post#27 » by Chronz » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:37 am

esqtvd wrote:

One is last year's playoff collapse, which was more psychic than physical. Kawhi and PG are simply not natural leaders. Rondo is, especially at crunchtime.

Another is that Kawhi and PG are expending too much energy on playmaking that they could--should--be spending on scoring and defense.

I dont buy that leadership talk being what stopped us. They were in a bubble and different minds handled it differently.

The 2nd reason you gave makes alot more sense tho. Maybe they can up their defensive intensity if they dont have to run the offense.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#28 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:24 am

wco81 wrote:Playoffs are less than 20 games away.

Do WC teams at the top start to maneuver to get favorable first-round matchups or to avoid certain matches?

For instance, Lakers are #5 and Nuggets are #4. They'd be the first-round matchup. Clippers are 2 games ahead of the Nuggets.

All the top WC teams want nothing to do with the Lakers in the first-round, if in fact they finish #5 or lower.

Maybe no more load management for Kawhi and PG13 for the rest of the season until they lock up #3 seed? Of course the Lakers could #6 or #7 too.

Of course you want a favorable match up, but it is most important to just be playing consistently well and let the chips fall where they may
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#29 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Chronz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I dont buy that leadership talk being what stopped us. They were in a bubble and different minds handled it differently.

The 2nd reason you gave makes alot more sense tho. Maybe they can up their defensive intensity if they dont have to run the offense.

Our offense suffocated in the 2nd halves of multiple Denver games, people say PG and Kawhi choked because of their poor shooting stats but the overall offense ground down and they just weren't getting good shots. It was painful to witness, like a slow motion train wreck that everyone sees coming but no one can prevent.

Adding Rondo adds another dimension/facet to our offense which will help in moments like that IMO. I think PG has specifically talked about how Rondo will allow him to expend less energy setting up the offense and playmaking. You don't have to do an awful lot to generate a favorable offensive opportunity for Kawhi or PG, but having a true point guard makes that even easier (even if he only plays 20 MPG or so.)

That Rondo is a also seasoned leader with deep playoff experience and a decent defender, just completes the package for us and made it the right trade for sure IMO. Value-wise we shouldn't have had to give up 2 2nds but we were more motivated than Atlanta to make the trade so that's what it took.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#30 » by SK21209 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:59 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Chronz wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Our offense suffocated in the 2nd halves of multiple Denver games, people say PG and Kawhi choked because of their poor shooting stats but the overall offense ground down and they just weren't getting good shots. It was painful to witness, like a slow motion train wreck that everyone sees coming but no one can prevent.

Adding Rondo adds another dimension/facet to our offense which will help in moments like that IMO. I think PG has specifically talked about how Rondo will allow him to expend less energy setting up the offense and playmaking. You don't have to do an awful lot to generate a favorable offensive opportunity for Kawhi or PG, but having a true point guard makes that even easier (even if he only plays 20 MPG or so.)

That Rondo is a also seasoned leader with deep playoff experience and a decent defender, just completes the package for us and made it the right trade for sure IMO. Value-wise we shouldn't have had to give up 2 2nds but we were more motivated than Atlanta to make the trade so that's what it took.

Nearly every time Rondo's touched the ball since we traded for him he's tried to push the pace and 2-3 transition baskets can be huge in a playoff game. It makes sense to have Rondo close if Zu is on the court with PG, Kawhi and Morris. However, if we have Morris playing the 5 I'm not sure Rondo should be in as I don't think he's very switchable.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#31 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri May 7, 2021 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#32 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri May 7, 2021 3:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#33 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 7, 2021 8:13 pm

Hope we do something smart with our draft pick and get a PG that can learn from Rondo in his final year
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#34 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat May 29, 2021 6:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,196

Post#35 » by Clemenza » Sat May 29, 2021 7:54 pm

Reggie starts and Rondo finishes is good by me. Lets get them Sunday and tie it up
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#36 » by UnFadeable21 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Los Angeles Clippers