ImageImageImage

Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Trade Thread 2021-22: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#1 » by djFan71 » Fri May 7, 2021 4:56 pm

Just for kicks.... who says no to Jaylen, Edwards, BOS 21 for Haliburton, Barnes, SAC 21?

Picks are currently 18 & 9. I think both sides say no cuz they like their guys too much. I'm not sure I'd do it, but I'm intrigued. Follow that up with Kemba/Al/cap space 3-way with Knicks and you have:

Hali/Smart/PP
Tatum/Barnes/Fournier/Nesmith
Rob/TT/Al
Romeo/Grant/Parker
vet min

Obviously the higher SAC pick goes the more interested I am, and the less interested they are. I'm not even really a Barnes guy, but he fits and makes the salary work.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Re: 2021 Craft Your Boston Celtics Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by playa-hater » Fri May 7, 2021 5:28 pm

djFan71 wrote:Just for kicks.... who says no to Jaylen, Edwards, BOS 21 for Haliburton, Barnes, SAC 21?

Picks are currently 18 & 9. I think both sides say no cuz they like their guys too much. I'm not sure I'd do it, but I'm intrigued. Follow that up with Kemba/Al/cap space 3-way with Knicks and you have:

Hali/Smart/PP
Tatum/Barnes/Fournier/Nesmith
Rob/TT/Al
Romeo/Grant/Parker
vet min

Obviously the higher SAC pick goes the more interested I am, and the less interested they are. I'm not even really a Barnes guy, but he fits and makes the salary work.

wow.. I am going to sleep on this, but damn very interesting.. leaning on yes..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Trade Thread 

Post#3 » by djFan71 » Fri May 7, 2021 10:42 pm

BTW, I separated these from the draft thread into a trade specific one. There was good draft stuff going on in there, so don't want ot muddy things up.

Fencer, give me one choice for a name if you don't like my Hemingwayesque title.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Re: Trade Thread. 

Post#4 » by Spin Move » Fri May 7, 2021 10:57 pm

interesting thought but its 3 quarters for a doller and a dime. JB is the best player in the deal and going to be the best player in the deal. Haliburton is a better passing patrick beverly, a really good player to have but not an all star, barnes is pretty good, #9 likley won;t be an all star. Brown is an All star so I pass, though its not a horrible deal or anything.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#5 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri May 7, 2021 11:07 pm

This is why I’m here...thank you. Just doesn’t feel like home if I cant say we should have got harden or read other crazy trade proposals. Dj fan is the hero this board needs
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#6 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri May 7, 2021 11:08 pm

I’m open to trading brown but I think I pass on this deal
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#7 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 7, 2021 11:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:BTW, I separated these from the draft thread into a trade specific one. There was good draft stuff going on in there, so don't want ot muddy things up.

Fencer, give me one choice for a name if you don't like my Hemingwayesque title.

To Trade Or Trade Not

I think that's more broadly appropriate than:

Reserve Wing For Sale; Never Healthy.

Trivia: What Hemingway stuff was I referencing in those two ideas?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by djFan71 » Fri May 7, 2021 11:15 pm

Spin Move wrote:interesting thought but its 3 quarters for a doller and a dime. JB is the best player in the deal and going to be the best player in the deal. Haliburton is a better passing patrick beverly, a really good player to have but not an all star, barnes is pretty good, #9 likley won;t be an all star. Brown is an All star so I pass, though its not a horrible deal or anything.

Yeah, that's my main hesitancy for sure. You gotta believe a few things to want it: Hali will develop beyond your assessment, you love someone at 9, and Jaylen doesn't have another leap left. I'm not sure I'm ready to count on all 3 of those, but thought it was a fun one to discuss.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#9 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Fri May 7, 2021 11:19 pm

Yeah, I met Kelly Olynyk in 1995 in Whitby, Ontario. I walkin' down the street minding my own business, just walking on. Feelin' good. I walk around the corner, a man walk up, hit me in my chest, right. I fall on the ground, right. And I look up and it's Kelly Olynyk. I said 'Kelly Olynyk?' and he said 'Ooops, I thought you were some body else.'

It is all coming together.

Behold, the barber from Whitby, Ontario making all the news headlines today.

If that isn't a sign, then what is.

In that Edwards trade above, Celtics get three players, move out one. Makes sense for Boston.

May not make sense for Sacramento, but makes more sense than any other deal they have done the past decade.

Three players, or two and a half as Barnes is not great. Kings get Brown and Buddy fighting over the ball.

The pick move, very good. Trade works.

Although, should have just traded them Brown for the pick they "used" on Bagley back in the day.

Trade machine at Disney is broken?

Or 100% accurate?

Rockets get Kemba and Brown, -24 wins.

Celtics get Wall and Olynyk, no change in wins.

The Celtics would be much better. Much.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by djFan71 » Fri May 7, 2021 11:20 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
djFan71 wrote:BTW, I separated these from the draft thread into a trade specific one. There was good draft stuff going on in there, so don't want ot muddy things up.

To Trade Or Trade Not

I admit to failure on your trivia. I think I've read only the big ones: The Sun Also Rises, For Whom The Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms and The Old Man and the Sea. But, even those, It's been a while and they all kinda jumble together for me. Sun Also Rises is my favorite, I believe.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#11 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 7, 2021 11:23 pm

djFan71 wrote:

To Trade Or Trade Not

Your 2nd one hints at part of reasoning for my first post.
I admit to failure on your trivia. I think I've read only the big ones: The Sun Also Rises, For Whom The Bell Tolls, A Farewell to Arms and The Old Man and the Sea. But, even those, It's been a while and they all kinda jumble together for me. Sun Also Rises is my favorite, I believe.

Hint on the first one: It was said (I think by the director) that the best Hemingway movie was made from his worst book.

The second one does not reference a Hemingway title. And, oops, upon review the Hemingway tie is likely apocryphal.

https://www.openculture.com/2015/03/the-urban-legend-of-ernest-hemingways-six-word-story.html

Also, I got the quotes in both slightly wrong, making them harder. E.g., the "Or" should be an "And", which probably would be an improvement to the thread title as well. Sorry for the confusion!
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by djFan71 » Sat May 8, 2021 5:12 pm

djFan71 wrote:
To Trade Or Trade Not

Your 2nd one hints at part of reasoning for my first post.

Hint on the first one: It was said (I think by the director) that the best Hemingway movie was made from his worst book.

The second one does not reference a Hemingway title. And, oops, upon review the Hemingway tie is likely apocryphal.

https://www.openculture.com/2015/03/the-urban-legend-of-ernest-hemingways-six-word-story.html

Also, I got the quotes in both slightly wrong, making them harder. E.g., the "Or" should be an "And", which probably would be an improvement to the thread title as well. Sorry for the confusion!

I feel like there is some macbethian/yoda "do or do not" in one of them (maybe Sun?) for the first one, but can't remember the exact quote. 2nd one I hadn't known about, though.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,983

Re: Trade Thread: To Trade Or Trade Not 

Post#13 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat May 8, 2021 6:53 pm

GSW probably holds out for a star and gets one, but if not, wouldn't mind rolling the dice on dealing Smart and Rob Williams for Wiseman and salary match fillers..

Smart's going to want big money in 2022-23, and Williams is a real nice player, but also pretty fragile and a RFA soon in 2022. R. Williams, Green, Wiggins, Thompson, Klay and Steph would be pretty good...
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,618

Post#14 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat May 8, 2021 8:55 pm

djFan71 wrote:

To Trade Or Trade Not

Shows what I know. I thought this was Shakespeare.

As for the trade, I know it's wrong, but I kind of want to do it just to shake(speare) things up a bit. A rose by any other name?
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,457

Post#15 » by Fierce1 » Sat May 8, 2021 9:19 pm

I think Ainge is serious about building around Tatum and Brown.

So if Ainge won't trade Brown for Harden, why would he trade Brown for players like Barnes and Haliburton.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by djFan71 » Sat May 8, 2021 10:54 pm

Fierce1 wrote:I think Ainge is serious about building around Tatum and Brown.

So if Ainge won't trade Brown for Harden, why would he trade Brown for players like Barnes and Haliburton.

Harden was extenuating circumstances, but I do think we should probably hold on to Brown unless it's a trade for a star or a really high pick/prospect. I was hoping SAC was higher than 9 when I started the idea, but figured I'd throw it out anyways. Increases our overall height/bbiq, but still probably not worth it.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#17 » by 31to6 » Sat May 8, 2021 11:01 pm

ABT: Always Be Trading
but not for SACkangz

"For sale: Baby shoes, never worn"
--your twist on it is great, Fencer!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#18 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 9, 2021 2:47 am

djFan71 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Your 2nd one hints at part of reasoning for my first post.

I feel like there is some macbethian/yoda "do or do not" in one of them (maybe Sun?) for the first one, but can't remember the exact quote. 2nd one I hadn't known about, though.

I'm not sure what it's To Have AND Have Not rather than To Have OR Have Not, but the latter is actually the correct title.

The movie of it has a famous Bogart/Bacall scene.

Wikipedia confirms my memory that director Howard Hawks (correctly) bragged he'd make a good movie that was at least loosely based on Hemingway's worst book.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 9, 2021 2:59 am

Tatumfor2 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
To Trade Or Trade Not

Shows what I know. I thought this was Shakespeare.

As for the trade, I know it's wrong, but I kind of want to do it just to shake(speare) things up a bit. A rose by any other name?

I think the Romeo & Juliet puns need to be saved for Langford.

But we could always go for something based on (perhaps by pluralizing) "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

A couple of us wanted to put that quote in the preface to our dissertations. My advisor wouldn't let me, but as a consolation prize he let me devote a page to a verse from Gilbert & Sullivan's The Mikado.

My thesis proved a particularly obscure variation of game theory's famous min-max theorem. I called the players Mr. A and Mr. B. The quote was the opening verse of:

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Post#20 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 10, 2021 10:54 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:GSW probably holds out for a star and gets one, but if not, wouldn't mind rolling the dice on dealing Smart and Rob Williams for Wiseman and salary match fillers..

Smart's going to want big money in 2022-23, and Williams is a real nice player, but also pretty fragile and a RFA soon in 2022. R. Williams, Green, Wiggins, Thompson, Klay and Steph would be pretty good...

That won't land Wiseman, but Jaylen for Wiseman/Minny pick/Looney could potentially work if the pick conveys high and Looney opts in.

Return to Boston Celtics