Austin Rivers

Moderator: THE J0KER

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Austin Rivers 

Post#1 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:11 pm

Personally, I am in favor of this signing. He brings an intensity on both ends of the court, that I just love. Plus he's a shooting guard that can handle the ball decently. He should fit well with Jokic (or almost any other needs we have). Starter? I wouldn't mind. Bench? I wouldn't mind. I'm hoping he gets 20-25 mpg. But that's just me --- and please don't ask me where Malone will get those minutes. I have my ideas but I doubt he'll agree with me :lol: He seldom does :roll:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Rivers
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/riverau01.html
DaFan334
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,333

Re: Austin Rivers - 10 Days (for now?) 

Post#2 » by DaFan334 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:00 am

I think he is a good fit. Brings some of the things that Jamal brought, just not anywhere near on that level. He will definitely be some needed depth if Morris is out any longer.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Interesting the dynamics of the two new guards we brought in, Harrison lends to the defensive side of the ball, while Rivers more towards the offensive side. Definitely looking forward to seeing what they can bring, if Malone will play them.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
FilNugsFan
Sophomore
And1: 255

Post#4 » by FilNugsFan » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Signing him for the rest of the season eliminates any pressure off Rivers. I hope he gets more comfortable from hereon and provide the Nuggets with more buckets and less bricks. His playoffs experience should be a plus for us as well.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Re: Austin Rivers 

Post#5 » by TunaFish » Thu May 6, 2021 3:04 pm

There may be a place for Rivers on the Nuggets even in the future.

Rivers quote: "This has been a life-saver and -changer for me, coming here. I've never experienced a team or an organization like this, so about 'we' instead of 'me'. I'm just lucky to be here and thankful to be here. I don't take this **** for granted."

Interview:

Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Sun May 9, 2021 12:06 am

I've always like River's attitude and thought he made a decent top-8 player on a team. He didn't start out real well with the Nuggets, but lately he's been playing some of his best ball in a long time. He's got a decent shot - good enough to keep people honest. He seems to benefit better than many from playing with Jokic. He hustles on the defensive end of the court.

We've got a lot of guards. Who stays? Who goes?

Murray & Morris
Barton? - will they keep him if he opts out?
Probably keep Dozier & Campazzo

Will Rivers be the #5 or #6 guard? I wouldn't object.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#7 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun May 9, 2021 12:24 am

TunaFish wrote:There may be a place for Rivers on the Nuggets even in the future.

Rivers quote: "This has been a life-saver and -changer for me, coming here. I've never experienced a team or an organization like this, so about 'we' instead of 'me'. I'm just lucky to be here and thankful to be here. I don't take this **** for granted."

Interview:

He's kills the Jazz so in a way I'm surprised the Jazz didn't go get him. Nice pick up.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Sun May 9, 2021 1:33 am

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
TunaFish wrote:There may be a place for Rivers on the Nuggets even in the future.

Interview:

He's kills the Jazz so in a way I'm surprised the Jazz didn't go get him. Nice pick up.

With Murray probable to miss much of next season, wouldn't be surprised to see him signed for next season
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by NuggetsWY » Fri May 28, 2021 12:49 pm

One great game last night, does not mean he's a great find. But after a rough start, he's been playing consistent --- and more important, consistent on both ends of the court. I'm impressed. Will he start next year? I don't know, but I'm sure hoping he'll get solid rotation minutes.

Did you see him defending Melo early in the game? One-on-one and he was fighting. Melo's quite a bit bigger and it took a lot of fight. It reminded me of times I've seen Murray in the same situation. Effective? Rivers might be better at it than Murray but it's a tough battle when isolated down low on a big. All I care is that they fight and I love it!
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#10 » by The Rebel » Fri May 28, 2021 2:34 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:One great game last night, does not mean he's a great find. But after a rough start, he's been playing consistent --- and more important, consistent on both ends of the court. I'm impressed. Will he start next year? I don't know, but I'm sure hoping he'll get solid rotation minutes.

Did you see him defending Melo early in the game? One-on-one and he was fighting. Melo's quite a bit bigger and it took a lot of fight. It reminded me of times I've seen Murray in the same situation. Effective? Rivers might be better at it than Murray but it's a tough battle when isolated down low on a big. All I care is that they fight and I love it!

Let's not get out of hand, the one thing that Murray has always been good at was one on one or in the post against larger players, he is stronger and more physical than he looks while he never could keep up with guys like Lillard on the perimeter.

Rivers is not really a starter, I would rather have any of the 3 guys we are missing starting over Rivers, but he is a solid 8th man type. He can get hot like he did last night, he can exploit the right matchups, and he is a good defender. Not a bad guy to have, but not someone I am comfortable being our best or even 2nd best guard.
TunaFish
Head Coach
And1: 5,773

Post#11 » by TunaFish » Fri May 28, 2021 11:33 pm

The Rebel wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:One great game last night, does not mean he's a great find. But after a rough start, he's been playing consistent --- and more important, consistent on both ends of the court. I'm impressed. Will he start next year? I don't know, but I'm sure hoping he'll get solid rotation minutes.

Let's not get out of hand, the one thing that Murray has always been good at was one on one or in the post against larger players, he is stronger and more physical than he looks while he never could keep up with guys like Lillard on the perimeter.

Rivers is not really a starter, I would rather have any of the 3 guys we are missing starting over Rivers, but he is a solid 8th man type. He can get hot like he did last night, he can exploit the right matchups, and he is a good defender. Not a bad guy to have, but not someone I am comfortable being our best or even 2nd best guard.

He can play defense and he can shoot, at least inconsistently. I have seen reclamation projects in the past and Denver has had some success (i.e. Michael Adams). One of the reasons that I found George Karl's interview so interesting is because he did think that Rivers could become a future starter and who should not be moved back to the bench by Barton. He thinks Rivers is a solid pro who just needs a chance.

I am more in line with Rebel's thinking but I keep hearing Karl's point and wondering if something that unlikely could actually happen.
Canned in Denver.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Sat May 29, 2021 5:30 pm

The Rebel wrote:

Not sure how that could have been close to "out of hand". Pretty sure I suggested he'd be better off the bench. I didn't say that, but it was implied in my mind. However, Rivers starting with Murray isn't necessarily out of the question in my opinion.

Considering the options for the 2nd starting guard, I can make an argument against any of the options. What is the most valuable asset any 2nd guard brings to the Nuggets? It's probably their defense, as in, "see Gary Harris". Campazzo can be a pest on defense. Harrison, is a fairly good defensive player. But they are both too short to be able to handle all the switches that happen in the NBA. Barton plays defense in spurts. Dozier's still learning how to play NBA defense and I have hopes regarding him.

So in my opinion, our best guard to start next to Murray would be either Morris or Rivers.

I'm a big fan of Morris, but he's more of a PG than a SG and frankly, we need someone that helps open the paint area. Morris' shooting is good enough to do that, but his tendency to not shoot even when open, means other teams don't worry about him much.

While I would actually prefer having Rivers come off the bench, IMO he'd make a decent pairing with Murray.

Unfortunately all of that is immaterial, since we all know Malone will be starting Barton as soon as possible.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#13 » by The Rebel » Sat May 29, 2021 10:17 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

Not sure how that could have been close to "out of hand". Pretty sure I suggested he'd be better off the bench. I didn't say that, but it was implied in my mind. However, Rivers starting with Murray isn't necessarily out of the question in my opinion.

Considering the options for the 2nd starting guard, I can make an argument against any of the options. What is the most valuable asset any 2nd guard brings to the Nuggets? It's probably their defense, as in, "see Gary Harris". Campazzo can be a pest on defense. Harrison, is a fairly good defensive player. But they are both too short to be able to handle all the switches that happen in the NBA. Barton plays defense in spurts. Dozier's still learning how to play NBA defense and I have hopes regarding him.

So in my opinion, our best guard to start next to Murray would be either Morris or Rivers.

I'm a big fan of Morris, but he's more of a PG than a SG and frankly, we need someone that helps open the paint area. Morris' shooting is good enough to do that, but his tendency to not shoot even when open, means other teams don't worry about him much.

While I would actually prefer having Rivers come off the bench, IMO he'd make a decent pairing with Murray.

Unfortunately all of that is immaterial, since we all know Malone will be starting Barton as soon as possible.

Dozier was by far the best player on the team for defensive rating, we were over 5 points per 100 possessions better with him on the court than any other regular rotation player. To put it in perspective Dozier's defensive rating on the court was 8th in the league and was 4.3 ppp 100 better than the Lakers team defensive rating. To say he was our best defender this year is not hyperbole, including better than Gordon.

When Dozier comes back I would prefer to see Morris and Dozier starting with Campazzo and Rivers off the bench, and Harrison at SG when we go small. I think we need Morris's shooting with the starters and I think while both being streaky on offense, Rivers and Campazzo can both lead the back court defense and run the offense well enough.

I almost expect Murray back before Barton, for whatever reason he seems to nurse injuries longer than anybody I have ever seen. I still hope Barton opts out this summer, but with the injury I am not so sure at this point.

Return to Denver Nuggets