ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#181 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon May 3, 2021 3:26 pm

Here's what France is doing to prepare for the Olympics ( I used google translate on the link afterwards ).

https://www.sportmag.fr/collectif/basket/basket-ball-les-bleus-face-a-lespagne-pour-preparer-les-jeux/

If we ever got our act together, in terms of elite talent , Canada and France are number 2 and 3 in the world and improving while teams like Spain and Argentina are waning . Off course winning internationally goes beyond talent as we've sadly found out. Also if we do qualify for the Olympics , which will be quite hard, we have to probably get by France to get to the second round of the Olympics.

The French get together June 23, practice for 2 weeks and then play a home/away series against Spain. They then depart July 14 for Japan to acclimate to the new time zone and location and play a game against Japan. France has some player issues of their own - Batum and Fournier are free agents and are also on good teams which may still be playing. Rudy Gobert who signed a lucrative extension this past season has said as soon as Utah is eliminated he's immediately jumping on a plane to Japan to play.

France is asking for a 6 week player commitment , if Canada gets together June 15 as per Mike Meeks we'll be asking for 7 weeks. Given that teams will be on a strict lockdown, no fans in the stadium , no athlete interaction at the Olympics and many free agent contract issues this is a hard ask. Some players, especially after an abbreviated off season both after the bubble and this year may well pass on this event. If we get 5-7 NBA guys who are willing to run this gauntlet I'll be quite happy.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,882

Post#182 » by mojo13 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:17 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's what France is doing to prepare for the Olympics ( I used google translate on the link afterwards ).

https://www.sportmag.fr/collectif/basket/basket-ball-les-bleus-face-a-lespagne-pour-preparer-les-jeux/

If we ever got our act together, in terms of elite talent , Canada and France are number 2-3 in the world and improving while teams like Spain and Argentina are waning . Off course winning internationally goes beyond talent as we've sadly found out. Also if we do qualify for the Olympics , which will be quite hard, we have to probably get by France to get to the second round of the Olympics.

The French get together June 23, practice for 2 weeks and then play a home/away series against Spain. They then depart July 14 for Japan to acclimate to the new time zone and location and play a game against Japan. France has some player issues of their own - Batum and Fournier are free agents and are also on good teams which may still be playing. Rudy Gobert who signed a lucrative extension this past season has said as soon as Utah is eliminated he's immediately jumping on a plane to Japan to play.

France is asking for a 6 week player commitment , if Canada gets together June 15 as per Mike Meeks we'll be asking for 7 weeks. Given that teams will be on a strict lockdown, no fans in the stadium , no athlete interaction at the Olympics and many free agent contract issues this is a hard ask. Some players, especially after an abbreviated off season both after the bubble and this year may well pass on this event. If we get 5-7 NBA guys who are willing to run this gauntlet I'll be quite happy.

Where did Meeks say they are getting together June 15? Initially that feels a little late to me. Canada had a solid 2 week tour in Europe before the 2016 Manila Qualifier and a camp before that. But I suppose they had most of the guys available well before and then made accommodations for guys like TT and I think even Cory to join later.

I suppose the trade off here is pushing it back to get the most talent you can corral from the NBA and a shorter total overall time commitment, rather than a longer prep time that may exclude some key guys. Seems a little risky though - but perhaps there isn't even much they can do for scrimmages leading into the Qualifier. I suspect they only get a couple games against other participants in Victoria (or other Canadian cites) in the week leading up to the tournament? Still so many unknowns...

By the way the Olympics is 3 pools of 4 teams and the two best 3rd place teams in the Olympic pools will make the quarterfinals. So beating France (or the USA) is not mandatory. And since point differential comes into play it is nice to have the worst team in the tournament in our pool (Iran) and maybe a friendly USA who may not be motivated to run up points.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#183 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon May 3, 2021 5:41 pm

mojo13 wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's what France is doing to prepare for the Olympics ( I used google translate on the link afterwards ).

If we ever got our act together, in terms of elite talent , Canada and France are number 2-3 in the world and improving while teams like Spain and Argentina are waning . Off course winning internationally goes beyond talent as we've sadly found out. Also if we do qualify for the Olympics , which will be quite hard, we have to probably get by France to get to the second round of the Olympics.

Where did Meeks say they are getting together June 15? Initially that feels a little late to me. Canada had a solid 2 week tour in Europe before the 2016 Manila Qualifier and a camp before that. But I suppose they had most of the guys available well before and then made accommodations for guys like TT and I think even Cory to join later.

I suppose the trade off here is pushing it back to get the most talent you can corral from the NBA and a shorter total overall time commitment, rather than a longer prep time that may exclude some key guys. Seems a little risky though - but perhaps there isn't even much they can do for scrimmages leading into the Qualifier. I suspect they only get a couple games against other participants in Victoria (or other Canadian cites) in the week leading up to the tournament? Still so many unknowns...

By the way the Olympics is 3 pools of 4 teams and the two best 3rd place teams in the Olympic pools will make the quarterfinals. So beating France (or the USA) is not mandatory. And since point differential comes into play it is nice to have the worst team in the tournament in our pool (Iran) and maybe a friendly USA who may not be motivated to run up points.

Here's the link to the Meeks quote I had posted a few weeks ago ( he said mid month which is in/around June 15 )

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/canada-basketball-olympic-qualifier-update-1.5978896?utm_content=buffercf612&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"Michael Meeks, an assistant coach on Nurse's staff, said training camp would likely start around mid-June. The team is scheduled to play a CEBL all-star team on June 18.

"And then from there, it's moving on to prepare for the Olympic Games," Meeks, who played for Canada's last Olympic men's basketball entrant in 2000, said."

Now I'd like to see camp open earlier to, but remember it's what the players and coaching staff feel is feasible. I forgot about the 2 best third place team scenario, but I'd hate to be relying on this convoluted longshot situation.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#184 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon May 3, 2021 7:53 pm

Here's the gauntlet our women have to run. It's quite arduous and long. They go from Mid May training in Edmonton until after the Olympics without a break ( a 12-13 week commitment ! ) . After quarantining and training at the Saville Centre , they go to P.R. for the women's Americup which starts June 11 -19. Afterwards due to the 14 day federal government quarantine rule, they most likely will not return to Canada , instead training in the U.S.A. They then go to Japan for acclimatization and isolation/testing before entering the highly controlled Athletes Village. Talk about a commitment - for the women though the Olympics are pre - eminent. For most Canadian men winning the NBA championship is the ultimate, for women though the Olympics are paramount. Give the Canadian women a lot of praise for committing to this staggering process. Also the issue of our athletes being vaccinated is discussed , although if they are in the States they should have much more ready access.

I note the NHL got a waiver during the NHL trade deadline for a 7 day quarantine . Hopefully Canada Basketball and the Victoria tournament gets the same treatment by our Federal politicians. If they adhere to 14 days this is going to be quite problematic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/coach-gearing-up-for-olympics-1.6009549
mojo13
Veteran

Post#185 » by mojo13 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:11 am

TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's the gauntlet our women have to run. It's quite arduous and long. They go from Mid May training in Edmonton until after the Olympics without a break ( a 12-13 week commitment ! ) . After quarantining and training at the Saville Centre , they go to P.R. for the women's Americup which starts June 11 -19. Afterwards due to the 14 day federal government quarantine rule, they most likely will not return to Canada , instead training in the U.S.A. They then go to Japan for acclimatization and isolation/testing before entering the highly controlled Athletes Village. Talk about a commitment - for the women though the Olympics are pre - eminent. For most Canadian men winning the NBA championship is the ultimate, for women though the Olympics are paramount. Give the Canadian women a lot of praise for committing to this staggering process. Also the issue of our athletes being vaccinated is discussed , although if they are in the States they should have much more ready access.

I note the NHL got a waiver during the NHL trade deadline for a 7 day quarantine . Hopefully Canada Basketball and the Victoria tournament gets the same treatment by our Federal politicians. If they adhere to 14 days this is going to be quite problematic.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/coach-gearing-up-for-olympics-1.6009549

There won't be a 14 day quarantine in Victoria - it just doesn't work.
If the Canadian govt sticks to that, the tournament will be moved.

Take it directly from FIBA if you don't believe me:

There is not (and cannot be) a 14-day quarantine period for participating teams in the Victoria FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament," FIBA spokesperson Jacinda Michaux said. “The Local Organizing Committee is working on waiving mandatory quarantine based on the 'bubble' concept."

https://www.yardbarker.com/olympics/articles/fiba_working_with_canadian_officials_on_olympic_qualifier_bubble/s1_16793_34633892
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#186 » by TrueNorth31 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:01 am

mojo13 wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's the gauntlet our women have to run. It's quite arduous and long. They go from Mid May training in Edmonton until after the Olympics without a break ( a 12-13 week commitment ! ) . After quarantining and training at the Saville Centre , they go to P.R. for the women's Americup which starts June 11 -19. Afterwards due to the 14 day federal government quarantine rule, they most likely will not return to Canada , instead training in the U.S.A. They then go to Japan for acclimatization and isolation/testing before entering the highly controlled Athletes Village. Talk about a commitment - for the women though the Olympics are pre - eminent. For most Canadian men winning the NBA championship is the ultimate, for women though the Olympics are paramount. Give the Canadian women a lot of praise for committing to this staggering process. Also the issue of our athletes being vaccinated is discussed , although if they are in the States they should have much more ready access.

There won't be a 14 day quarantine in Victoria - it just doesn't work.
If the Canadian govt sticks to that, the tournament will be moved.

Take it directly from FIBA if you don't believe me:

There is not (and cannot be) a 14-day quarantine period for participating teams in the Victoria FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament," FIBA spokesperson Jacinda Michaux said. “The Local Organizing Committee is working on waiving mandatory quarantine based on the 'bubble' concept."

https://www.yardbarker.com/olympics/articles/fiba_working_with_canadian_officials_on_olympic_qualifier_bubble/s1_16793_34633892

That's good to know , and I believe you , but quite frankly FIBA does not run this country. I think people who live in Zurich don't quite comprehend the sheer panic and pressure on Canadian politicians given the extremely poor Canadian covid numbers. The issue about the quarantine has become quite a hot political issue as the Federal government was slow to roll out adequate measures. As my linked article clearly states the Canadian women's team is planning not to return to the country because of the existing 14 day quarantine protocols. It's hard to imagine if they wouldn't wave them for the girls, that they'll wave them for Fiba unless there is a dramatic shift.

Still at the end of the day things can change rapidly as is starting to happen in Britain and the U.S. Canada is actually on pace to surpass the States in the number of total people vaccinated by mid - June ( albeit just for initial first doses ). The Americans have a real problem with vaccine hesitancy - about 35% don't want to take a vaccine. The Canadian rates are much smaller at only 20% . Many feel when you get to an overall 60% vaccination number , Covid rates start to plummet quickly. Let's hope that happens by the end of May and the Victoria tournament is a still a go and reasonable political expediency occurs.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#187 » by frumble » Tue May 4, 2021 4:20 pm

Brandon Clarke was asked about Team Canada in an interview with the Score yesterday.

https://www.thescore.com/nba/news/2164141

theScore: Similar question, but about Canada Basketball. Do you and (Grizzlies teammate) Dillon Brooks, or you and other Canadian players around the league, ever get caught up in the bright future of Canada Basketball the same way fans do?

Clarke: I talk to Dillon about it often. We have a really good team, Team Canada, for this year. I was talking to a couple other guys, and they were saying it's probably the best team (Canada) has ever had. That makes us all really excited. We're really looking forward to finally getting together as a team and being able to play in the (Olympic) qualifiers.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#188 » by TrueNorth31 » Tue May 4, 2021 5:57 pm

frumble wrote:Brandon Clarke was asked about Team Canada in an interview with the Score yesterday.

theScore: Similar question, but about Canada Basketball. Do you and (Grizzlies teammate) Dillon Brooks, or you and other Canadian players around the league, ever get caught up in the bright future of Canada Basketball the same way fans do?

Clarke: I talk to Dillon about it often. We have a really good team, Team Canada, for this year. I was talking to a couple other guys, and they were saying it's probably the best team (Canada) has ever had. That makes us all really excited. We're really looking forward to finally getting together as a team and being able to play in the (Olympic) qualifiers.

Good find. Grunwald seems to have a good relationship with Memphis so that could help. It's just so much easier for players who have a contract next season to show some commitment to play. I imagine Nembhard now that he's not going into the draft will be in the mix. I've heard through the grapevine Nurse really likes his game. Mojo is going to love all his Zags guys potentially showing up.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#189 » by Kenter16 » Tue May 4, 2021 6:49 pm

frumble wrote:Brandon Clarke was asked about Team Canada in an interview with the Score yesterday.

That's great news. He is definitely an asset.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#190 » by mojo13 » Tue May 4, 2021 7:12 pm

Kenter16 wrote:

That's great news. He is definitely an asset.

Let's just throw this line-up out there and be done with it.

Nembhard
Pangos
Clarke
Wiltjer
Olynyk

Maybe that will even get Robert Sacre out of retirement.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#191 » by Kenter16 » Wed May 5, 2021 12:37 am

https://amp.oklahoman.com/amp/4948290001?__twitter_impression=true

Interesting article about Shai's injury. Says he's almost certainly done for the year but it mentions this:

"Daigneault said Gilgeous-Alexander will likely have a chance to play for Team Canada this summer as it tries to qualify for the Olympics. That, combined with another condensed offseason, is even more reason for Gilgeous-Alexander to rest."

Hmmmm. Did they do Shai a favour in sitting him out to make sure he can play in the OQT? Sounds like it. OKC's only goal is a higher draft pick. So, that may align with Shai's desire to play for Canada. Keep their star happy and get a better pick by doing so.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#192 » by Mirotic12 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:38 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Reading the Greek story , I see no indication Giannis won't play if his team is eliminated early. He has a guaranteed long term contract and he's always been a willing participant in their program. Basically unless the Buck's aren't one of the two East finalists, I expect him to be in Victoria.

On a major Greek sports network they had a discussion, and they said Giannis was not going to just be added to the team at the last second. That all the players had to be in the training camp. So unless that is a false report, he isn't playing.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#193 » by TrueNorth31 » Wed May 5, 2021 9:39 pm

Grange has a story up on the Victoria tournament.

Read on Twitter
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#194 » by Hair Canada » Mon May 10, 2021 1:54 am

Some encouraging roster depth news:

NAW finally returning to play after a month and a half hiatus due to ankle injury. Looked good for a depleted NO in a win over the Hornets. 13 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists, including a nice assist to seal the game. Would be very good to have him as a backup guard.

Meanwhile, Dwight Powell in May (6 games): 10.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 1 steal, playing 22 minutes a game for a winning team. And he's back to his great efficiency, shooting 84% (!) true shooting during this stretch. I think there's a good chance that he wants to take the summer to rest after coming back from such a serious injury. But if he's interested to play, he'd also be a really nice addition to our questionable frontcourt.

And less relevant to the team, but still nice to see: Brazdeikis looks like a legit leaguer, though in a very weak Magic team. Tonight a career-high 16 points. After Brissett has pretty much secured an NBA roster spot for next year (or so it seems), Iggy and Simi continue to be on the casp. I think both have enough talent to play in the NBA, but for both, it depends a lot on being in the right situation, where they get a shot to show what they got. Kabengele probably in a similar position.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 656

Post#195 » by BilboBanginz » Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Marcus Carr enters the draft. He signed with an NCAA certified agent so he has the option to return to the NCAA.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#196 » by TrueNorth31 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:38 pm

Here's a story on Olynyk from the local Kamloops newspaper. Sure sounds like he was almost a Raptor. Would they be interested next year?

https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/sports/olynyk-talks-excelling-with-rockets-trade-to-raptors-that-fell-through-free-agency-olympics-1.24317175

" ‘You’re probably going to Toronto ( per his agent ). Miami is the frontrunner for Kyle Lowry and if something happens, you’ll probably be in the deal to Toronto.’ That was at about one o’clock. The trade deadline was three o’clock. Two-thirty comes around and I haven’t heard anything. I get a phone call saying there is still a high possibility you’re going to Toronto. They’re just trying to figure out terms."

As well he discusses the Olympics. Given the circumstances he remains non-committal , but generally positive.

"KTW: Are you intending to play in the upcoming Olympic qualifier tournament and try to help Canada get to the Tokyo Games?
KO: My hope and goal is always to play in the Olympics. Ever since I was young and watching Steve Nash and Canada play at the Sydney Olympics in 2000, that’s been my goal. Obviously, it’s a tough situation right now, with a contract year. Usually, free agency is July 1, so you’d be through free agency and onto the Olympics at the end of July and into August. But this year, because it’s been pushed back, free agency is Aug. 1, so it’s a tough decision because if you get hurt, good luck getting signed, basically. You’re going to have to wait a year and do a short deal to prove you’re healthy.

I’m still trying to work through it and maybe check into insurance and all that kind of stuff and see what we can do to protect ourselves. My goal is, hopefully, that I can play, but we’ll see how it shakes out. "
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#197 » by TrueNorth31 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

ESPN has it's 2022 mock draft posted.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31402210/2022-nba-lottery-picks-sleepers-iverson-classic

- Houstan #9

- Mathurin # 20

- Andrew Nembhard # 36

No Primo who may/not enter this year's draft and would probably be in the mix.

I hope a few of these guys decide to showcase themselves at the World U19 tournament this summer. The only one who has said he's going is Ryan Nembhard. Given the World U17 was cancelled last year we may have better turn out than in other years with essentially 2 player age groups (2002/2003 ) wanting perhaps some more exposure.
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#198 » by Hair Canada » Tue May 11, 2021 7:15 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:ESPN has it's 2022 mock draft posted.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31402210/2022-nba-lottery-picks-sleepers-iverson-classic

- Houstan #9

- Mathurin # 20

- Andrew Nembhard # 36

No Primo who may/not enter this year's draft and would probably be in the mix.

I hope a few of these guys decide to showcase themselves at the World U19 tournament this summer. The only one who has said he's going is Ryan Nembhard. Given the World U17 was cancelled last year we may have better turn out than in other years with essentially 2 player age groups (2002/2003 ) wanting perhaps some more exposure.

Yes, let's hope. My "dream team" starting five would probably be something like:

Nembhard/Primo
Mathurin
Houstan
O-Max
Edey

And coming from the bench:

Nembhard/Primo
Clayton
Sharpe
Fisher
Lestin
Bediako
Boakye/Brown

Also, the U16 FIBA Americas has been postponed to August. We'll see if it happens then because the FIBA Europe competitions (U16, U18, and U20) have all been canceled again this year.
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
mojo13
Veteran

Post#199 » by mojo13 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Euro competitions were not canceled.

Just being reworked into "pods". Essentially smaller mini-tournaments of 6 teams a piece.

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/fiba-europe-board-approves-alternative-format-for-youth-competitions-new-dates-for-small-countries-championships
Kenter16
Junior

Post#200 » by Kenter16 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Big news. Appears as though Khem Birch is in. Now, please bench him Raptors! You are out of it anyways.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app

Return to Toronto Raptors