ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,529

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#741 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue May 4, 2021 12:54 pm

Crash2k18 wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:
KingofTheClay wrote:
Brown has no place on this team. If he wants to chuck 3s, not pass, and play abhorrent level defense, we should mail him to Sacramento. He’d fit perfectly with Buddy Hield. I’d be happy to drive him to Sacramento and back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one in the world agrees with that.

It really is comical to suggest trading Brown or Tatum (and I have seen some C’s fans suggest both at different times this year). Those two are our building blocks for the future. Also both have played parts of this season at less than 100%. That should always be remembered.

There are so few players one would rightly trade Tatum for that the chance of him being rightly traded is essentially nil.

There are a few more one would trade Brown for, so the chance there's a sensible trade for him is better characterized as "small" rather than Tatum's "approximately zero".
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#742 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue May 4, 2021 6:48 pm

Just to bring this back since this is not a trade thread, I think Nesmith could turn into a pretty good 6th man next year possibly who could sub in for either wing spot.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#743 » by Spin Move » Tue May 4, 2021 9:53 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
31to6 wrote:He’s given us reason to be optimistic about his selection.

Anyone up for comparing to how Precious and S. Bey’s rookie seasons are developing?

Here are Precious stats for the last 10 games

Splits GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
L10 5 9.6 28.6 0.0 50.0 3.0 0.2 0.0 0.2 1.4 0.6 1.8

nothing to get excited about....Bey had a great last game and is putting up decent numbers, but he is getting a ton of shots and PT so its comparing apples to oranges, He has had basically triple the minutes Nesmith has, He is averaging 11 and 4 on a bad team it is not like he is lighting the world on fire, he is shooting 38% from three for the season (about the same as nesmith)
His last 10
L10 10 31.9 37.1 37.3 77.4 6.2 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.0 1.0 13.8

Solid rotation player numbers, don't love the 37% overall from the field, but he looks like he will be a decent NBA player, I think Nesmith has more upside. Bey is a good NBA player though. Detriot has given him tons of PT and shots to develop.

I think you're underselling Bey a bit. His FG% on the year is .408 (taking more than 2/3rds of his shots from 3 and hitting .459 from 2) and his FT% is .858, netting him out to a .575 TS%. Pretty good for a rookie. I don't really get the point of focusing on just 10 games out of a nearly done 72-game season. And you're right, he may well be passed in production and development by others in his draft class who haven't got as much opportunity this year. I too think Nesmith has more upside.

The 10 game stats are to show the past few weeks what has been going on, namely that Precious has largely fallen out of Favor in Miami and that Bey's role in Detroit is increasing, I stated earlier in the passsage is full season numbers of 11 and 4 which 10 the past 10 games have gone up to 13 and 6 showing a bigger role. Either way he is getting a ton of shots (He had 38 shots in his last 2 games) He had another high scoring output Monday getting 26 points on 17 shots. I am not saying Bey won't be good, I am just saying some people on this board have overstated his success, his last 3 games have been one of his best stretchs of the season and he has shot well in the expanded role.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#744 » by cloverleaf » Tue May 4, 2021 10:26 pm

Spin Move wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Spin Move wrote:

Here are Precious stats for the last 10 games

L10 5 9.6 28.6 0.0 50.0 3.0 0.2 0.0 0.2 1.4 0.6 1.8

nothing to get excited about....Bey had a great last game and is putting up decent numbers, but he is getting a ton of shots and PT so its comparing apples to oranges, He has had basically triple the minutes Nesmith has, He is averaging 11 and 4 on a bad team it is not like he is lighting the world on fire, he is shooting 38% from three for the season (about the same as nesmith)
His last 10
L10 10 31.9 37.1 37.3 77.4 6.2 1.6 0.6 1.0 1.0 1.0 13.8

Solid rotation player numbers, don't love the 37% overall from the field, but he looks like he will be a decent NBA player, I think Nesmith has more upside. Bey is a good NBA player though. Detriot has given him tons of PT and shots to develop.

I think you're underselling Bey a bit. His FG% on the year is .408 (taking more than 2/3rds of his shots from 3 and hitting .459 from 2) and his FT% is .858, netting him out to a .575 TS%. Pretty good for a rookie. I don't really get the point of focusing on just 10 games out of a nearly done 72-game season. And you're right, he may well be passed in production and development by others in his draft class who haven't got as much opportunity this year. I too think Nesmith has more upside.

The 10 game stats are to show the past few weeks what has been going on, namely that Precious has largely fallen out of Favor in Miami and that Bey's role in Detroit is increasing, I stated earlier in the passsage is full season numbers of 11 and 4 which 10 the past 10 games have gone up to 13 and 6 showing a bigger role. Either way he is getting a ton of shots (He had 38 shots in his last 2 games) He had another high scoring output Monday getting 26 points on 17 shots. I am not saying Bey won't be good, I am just saying some people on this board have overstated his success, his last 3 games have been one of his best stretchs of the season and he has shot well in the expanded role.

Okay, thanks. I didn't quite get all that from your original post.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,795

Post#745 » by 31to6 » Wed May 5, 2021 1:54 am

Damn, I love all the talk of adding Brogdon and Sabonis but get a “trade thread” room, guys.

Also thanks for the Precious and Bey stats!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Trilogy25
Freshman
And1: 124

Post#746 » by Trilogy25 » Sun May 9, 2021 8:06 pm

Shooting with confidence
31to6
RealGM

Post#747 » by 31to6 » Sun May 9, 2021 8:50 pm

Homeboy was >> Precious Achiuwa today, and didn’t think I’d be able to say that for the first four months of the season. Keep it going, Aaron! Your fan base is YUGE or maybe not, but it’s growing!
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#748 » by djFan71 » Sun May 9, 2021 9:18 pm

Dude is gonna be a monster next year. I was team token-start him before the season, but admit he just wasn't ready. That stretch in Feb or whatever when he figured it out was when he should have started getting 20+ mpg. Even now, he had 19 tonight, 13 against the Bulls???? Just not enough for the one dude playing his heart out and scoring efficiently.
31to6
RealGM

Post#749 » by 31to6 » Sun May 9, 2021 11:49 pm

I’m happy if we resign Fournier, but also really like the idea of this guy developing into a quality starter with us, which I think he can do as long as we keep putting caffeine pills in his Gatorade.

Who would you compare Nesmith to? Like a “ceiling” comparison? Energy/hustle/3pt/slasher doesn’t ring bells for me, yet.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#750 » by Feed Your Head » Sun May 9, 2021 11:55 pm

djFan71 wrote:Dude is gonna be a monster next year. I was team token-start him before the season, but admit he just wasn't ready. That stretch in Feb or whatever when he figured it out was when he should have started getting 20+ mpg. Even now, he had 19 tonight, 13 against the Bulls???? Just not enough for the one dude playing his heart out and scoring efficiently.

31to6 wrote:

I’m happy if we resign Fournier, but also really like the idea of this guy developing into a quality starter with us, which I think he can do as long as we keep putting caffeine pills in his Gatorade.

Who would you compare Nesmith to? Like a “ceiling” comparison? Energy/hustle/3pt/slasher doesn’t ring bells for me, yet.

I compared him to Wesley Matthews after the draft, who was a damn good player before his achilles injury. I sold him short, he is way more explosive than Matthews, and plays with much more energy.

Looks like he’s going to be a stud two way player.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#751 » by JediMasterRevan » Sun May 9, 2021 11:55 pm

I like aaron.

Not sure how he is going to get consistant minutes next season. Which annoys me, cause we HAVE to resign Fournier or else we just completely wasted the TPE.

and contrary to somes thoughts, Smart wont get shopped.

So that means

SG: Smart/Fournier
SF: Brown/NEsmith
PF: Tatum
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#752 » by JediMasterRevan » Sun May 9, 2021 11:56 pm

The Comedian wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Dude is gonna be a monster next year. I was team token-start him before the season, but admit he just wasn't ready. That stretch in Feb or whatever when he figured it out was when he should have started getting 20+ mpg. Even now, he had 19 tonight, 13 against the Bulls???? Just not enough for the one dude playing his heart out and scoring efficiently.

31to6 wrote:

I compared him to Wesley Matthews after the draft, who was a damn good player before his achilles injury. I sold him short, he is way more explosive than Matthews, and plays with much more energy.

MIddleton.

He will be better than Herro.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#753 » by BK_2020 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:51 pm

Dennis Rodman with a jumper.
31to6
RealGM

Post#754 » by 31to6 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:27 pm

All great answers so far. Marcus Smart with a jumper, anyone? :)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#755 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 10, 2021 9:11 pm

The Comedian wrote:

31to6 wrote:

If we're talking "absolute ceiling" here; Klay?
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#756 » by cloverleaf » Tue May 11, 2021 8:05 pm

I can hear Tommy now, were he still with us:

"I looovvve Aaron Neeeesmith!!!"
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#757 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

31to6 wrote:

He’s a tough guy to comp IMO. A much better offensive Robert Covington? Which is a borderline all star player, I think.

It’s just weird, not many guys with his shot profile and shooting ability also play with the tenacity of Gerald Wallace lol.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,211

Post#758 » by Homerclease » Tue May 11, 2021 8:43 pm

He’s much better than Romeo Langford that’s for sure
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#759 » by Feed Your Head » Tue May 11, 2021 8:45 pm

Homerclease wrote:He’s much better than Romeo Langford that’s for sure

I’d give Romeo another year, I mean the injuries are a real issue, but he has legit talent. He was the best PnR player in college his freshman year, while playing hurt.

He needs a real offseason, BADLY. But yeah, Nesmith definitely has jumped way over Romeo.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#760 » by djFan71 » Tue May 11, 2021 9:21 pm

The Comedian wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

He’s a tough guy to comp IMO. A much better offensive Robert Covington? Which is a borderline all star player, I think.

It’s just weird, not many guys with his shot profile and shooting ability also play with the tenacity of Gerald Wallace lol.

Wes is interesting that you thought of him at draft time. I always picture Wes as tough defender who can knock down some shots. Whereas Aaron coming out I got the scouting vibe that he was knock down shooter who might have issues defending. Both Wes and RoCo are probably stronger than Aaron will ever be and able to slide up positions on D better, but Aaron hopefully ends up a better scorer than either.

I actually like Middleton/Klay as aspirational comps.

My guess/hope/fear is that like all our young guys that start out as manic defenders, he evolves his game enough to be a scorer who then starts taking plays off on D... :)

Return to Boston Celtics