Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,084

Re: Game 69 : Indiana Pacers (31-36) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (21-47) - 7:30 PM 

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 11, 2021 5:05 am

I watched

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Tue May 11, 2021 12:56 pm

Except for cedi trying to be simmons a couple games back and Sexton having 4 dimes he is putting up good assist numbers while he struggles to adjust to more usage as a shot caller but guess what i see... 6.3 avg over 6 games without DG. Thats is better than DG season avg of 6.2 per albeit a small sample size. It proves he can do it when he has too .
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#5 » by LivingLegend » Tue May 11, 2021 1:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I watched

The one thing Ive noticed in these last few games is that they really need to get Allen involved more in the offense. I really belive hes crazy talented and he should be used more than a P&R lob threat. We are literally using him just like TT, but Allen I think has far more skill around the rim to be used in such a garbage man role.

Also, another thing that Ive seen that is a trend is that the Cavs need to draft somebody who is capable of shooting off the dribble. Everybody on this roster outside of Garland and maybe Dotson is strictly a spot up shooter--which means they either take the open shot or pump fake and crash to the rim trying to get a layp. There is no middle ground because nobody can pull up and shoot off the bounce.

Nance, Sexton, Allen, Osman, Love, Wade, Okoro, ect are all strictly guys who can only spot up shoot. None of them can pull up off the dribble and have it look halfway decent which makes us a team that either 1) Drive + Kick or 2) Pump fake and drive. It makes our offense so stale. Get more guys in here that can pull up off the dribble please.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:08 pm

LivingLegend wrote:

The one thing Ive noticed in these last few games is that they really need to get Allen involved more in the offense. I really belive hes crazy talented and he should be used more than a P&R lob threat. We are literally using him just like TT, but Allen I think has far more skill around the rim to be used in such a garbage man role.

Also, another thing that Ive seen that is a trend is that the Cavs need to draft somebody who is capable of shooting off the dribble. Everybody on this roster outside of Garland and maybe Dotson is strictly a spot up shooter--which means they either take the open shot or pump fake and crash to the rim trying to get a layp. There is no middle ground because nobody can pull up and shoot off the bounce.

Nance, Sexton, Allen, Osman, Love, Wade, Okoro, ect are all strictly guys who can only spot up shoot. None of them can pull up off the dribble and have it look halfway decent which makes us a team that either 1) Drive + Kick or 2) Pump fake and drive. It makes our offense so stale. Get more guys in here that can pull up off the dribble please.

Sexton had a decent pullup midrange shot his rookie year but he stopped taking it. The Cavs are second to last, in the entire NBA, in both made three point attempts and opponents 3point %. That's the fundamental problem and it's killing us. We can't make threes and we don't defend them, or at least we don't defend them well.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#7 » by LivingLegend » Tue May 11, 2021 6:04 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Sexton had a decent pullup midrange shot his rookie year but he stopped taking it. The Cavs are second to last, in the entire NBA, in both made three point attempts and opponents 3point %. That's the fundamental problem and it's killing us. We can't make threes and we don't defend them, or at least we don't defend them well.

Which is hilarious considering Loves only real quality on offense is hitting 3s, 90% of the reason the Cavs fell in love with Garland is because how good he shot the ball in his workout, drafted Windler because of how good of a shooter he was, brought in Dotson because he was a 3+D guy and Sexton was a super efficient 40%+ shooter from behind the arc.

1/2 of our roster is supposed to be great shooters but we suck at shooting the ball. It doesnt compute.

Love, Windler, Garland were all viewed as snipers but I have yet to see a game where the Cavs just bury a team by shooting 17/25 from distance. (I know Windler has been injured but he was super shaky shooting even when he was healthy)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 11, 2021 6:43 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Which is hilarious considering Loves only real quality on offense is hitting 3s, 90% of the reason the Cavs fell in love with Garland is because how good he shot the ball in his workout, drafted Windler because of how good of a shooter he was, brought in Dotson because he was a 3+D guy and Sexton was a super efficient 40%+ shooter from behind the arc.

1/2 of our roster is supposed to be great shooters but we suck at shooting the ball. It doesnt compute.

Love, Windler, Garland were all viewed as snipers but I have yet to see a game where the Cavs just bury a team by shooting 17/25 from distance. (I know Windler has been injured but he was super shaky shooting even when he was healthy)

Garland takes 5 a game and is a rounding error below 40% from 3. He's been our best three point shooter this year. Love has played in 24 games and has been in NBA shape for maybe 14 of them? He takes 6 a game and is at .347 which is well below his career average. Prince shot .415% from 3 on 4 attempts in Cleveland, but only played in 29 games. Sexton takes 4.5 per game and is at .370. Wade was .364 on 3.3 attempts. Nance shot .360 on 3.3 attempts, but again, only played in 35 games.

Cedi, Okoro, and Windler have all been abysmal though. Cedi dropped from .380 all the way to .306 and that's basically the difference between him being a net positive versus net negative player. The Cavs just aren't getting efficient three point shooting out of the SF position.

Dotson shot .278 from 3 point range which was below his career average but I'm not sure he's ever been great from range. Delly shot .160 from 3 (I double checked, it's right). So just nothing from backup PG.

Our PFs have taken turns missing huge chunks of the season, and with the exception of Nance, have been pretty streaky when it comes to shooting 3s.

So it's not as dire as it sounds on that end of the court and you can see a couple areas where the Cavs could make a serious jump at just a couple positions. But I'm very concerned about the opponents three point percentage and I think it's why the Cavs the need to look hard at bringing Love and Sexton off the bench next year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#9 » by LivingLegend » Wed May 12, 2021 12:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Garland takes 5 a game and is a rounding error below 40% from 3. He's been our best three point shooter this year. Love has played in 24 games and has been in NBA shape for maybe 14 of them? He takes 6 a game and is at .347 which is well below his career average. Prince shot .415% from 3 on 4 attempts in Cleveland, but only played in 29 games. Sexton takes 4.5 per game and is at .370. Wade was .364 on 3.3 attempts. Nance shot .360 on 3.3 attempts, but again, only played in 35 games.

Cedi, Okoro, and Windler have all been abysmal though. Cedi dropped from .380 all the way to .306 and that's basically the difference between him being a net positive versus net negative player. The Cavs just aren't getting efficient three point shooting out of the SF position.

Dotson shot .278 from 3 point range which was below his career average but I'm not sure he's ever been great from range. Delly shot .160 from 3 (I double checked, it's right). So just nothing from backup PG.

Our PFs have taken turns missing huge chunks of the season, and with the exception of Nance, have been pretty streaky when it comes to shooting 3s.

So it's not as dire as it sounds on that end of the court and you can see a couple areas where the Cavs could make a serious jump at just a couple positions. But I'm very concerned about the opponents three point percentage and I think it's why the Cavs the need to look hard at bringing Love and Sexton off the bench next year.

Couldnt agree more. I was a big Love supporter but this season made me open my eyes with him that he is washed. Same thing with Sexton, realized that in order for this team to take a real step, he needs to be a high volume 6th man.

Its going to be real interesting to see what the FO thinks this offseason and if they make any major adjustments.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 12, 2021 4:15 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Couldnt agree more. I was a big Love supporter but this season made me open my eyes with him that he is washed. Same thing with Sexton, realized that in order for this team to take a real step, he needs to be a high volume 6th man.

Its going to be real interesting to see what the FO thinks this offseason and if they make any major adjustments.

I'd continue to start Kevin and Collin until it's clear we have a better answer. It's just the state of the roster unless we make some major additions or whoever we pick in the draft turns out to be NBA ready.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,638

Post#11 » by toooskies » Wed May 12, 2021 4:18 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Depends on who we end up drafting and how good they are to start the season, but I don't think there's a guy you play at SG in front of him on our current roster. Maybe Sexton isn't a starting SG on a good team, but we're not a good team! We don't have a SG on the roster worthy of putting our only good scorer on the bench.

If you move Sexton out of the starting lineup, you're simultaneously insulting him and killing his trade value. May as well trade him in the offseason.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 12, 2021 7:37 pm

toooskies wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Depends on who we end up drafting and how good they are to start the season, but I don't think there's a guy you play at SG in front of him on our current roster. Maybe Sexton isn't a starting SG on a good team, but we're not a good team! We don't have a SG on the roster worthy of putting our only good scorer on the bench.

If you move Sexton out of the starting lineup, you're simultaneously insulting him and killing his trade value. May as well trade him in the offseason.

Yep, not to mention a player like Collin or even Kevin might even accept coming off the bench if they actually felt the team had a better chance to win. Otherwise pull them early when they're not playing well, and do your experimenting with the second unit.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Yep, not to mention a player like Collin or even Kevin might even accept coming off the bench if they actually felt the team had a better chance to win. Otherwise pull them early when they're not playing well, and do your experimenting with the second unit.

Here's the thing, and there's really no getting around it, when you're losing this often by this much, players feelings shouldn't dictate your actions. They just shouldn't. Honestly, the only guy who can make a really convincing case that the Cavs are much better with him on the floor is Nance Jr. And even Nance hasn't necessarily been healthy enough this year to insist.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

How could you possibly come to any definitive conclusions about a player who never plays in Love or a a Guard not having any problem passing and creating for his teammates even gleague ones in the past 6 games with Garland on the lamb? Sexton is absolutely their best 6th man but he is too good until they get a replacement to live without his offense in the starting line up and there is no way you are changing that with any rookies in this draft either.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#15 » by Revenged25 » Wed May 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

How could you possibly come to any definitive conclusions about a player who never plays in Love or a a Guard not having any problem passing and creating for his teammates even gleague ones in the past 6 games with Garland on the lamb? Sexton is absolutely their best 6th man but he is too good until they get a replacement to live without his offense in the starting line up and there is no way you are changing that with any rookies in this draft either.

I think the only rookie with the chance to push Sexton to the bench immediately would be Cunningham and that's less that he could score as well as Sexton immediately but more to have some additional size in the starting line-up.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#16 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 12, 2021 11:03 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Depends on who we end up drafting and how good they are to start the season, but I don't think there's a guy you play at SG in front of him on our current roster. Maybe Sexton isn't a starting SG on a good team, but we're not a good team! We don't have a SG on the roster worthy of putting our only good scorer on the bench.

Here's the thing, and there's really no getting around it, when you're losing this often by this much, players feelings shouldn't dictate your actions. They just shouldn't. Honestly, the only guy who can make a really convincing case that the Cavs are much better with him on the floor is Nance Jr. And even Nance hasn't necessarily been healthy enough this year to insist.

Except all this losing has never been about now, but what this young core could be when fully fleshed out, the roster filled out, and properly constructed.

IMO, the best way to judge someone is by their own words ... but Altman ain't talking.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I think the only rookie with the chance to push Sexton to the bench immediately would be Cunningham and that's less that he could score as well as Sexton immediately but more to have some additional size in the starting line-up.

Cade would clearly give us the most options as he could potentially replace any of our 3 guards in the staring lineup, but I wouldn't bother to predetermine which or even immediately write him in as a starter (for a change).
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#18 » by LivingLegend » Thu May 13, 2021 3:51 pm

toooskies wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think Okoro is your SG. Hes not a SF no matter how many people on here want him to be. Unless he grows another 2-3 inches he will always be undersized guarding guys like Tatum, LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, ect

I agree with you on your last point with Sexton. Which is why I would be shopping him heavily this offseason while he may not have a higher value than he does now
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#19 » by LivingLegend » Thu May 13, 2021 3:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Depends on who we end up drafting and how good they are to start the season, but I don't think there's a guy you play at SG in front of him on our current roster. Maybe Sexton isn't a starting SG on a good team, but we're not a good team! We don't have a SG on the roster worthy of putting our only good scorer on the bench.

I love Nance. However I dont think he has starters type of stuff. His qualities are that of a high energy bench big who can go 150mph for 25 mins a game. You stretch him out to 35min in a starters role for a entire season and I bet his production would go down.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Thu May 13, 2021 4:44 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
toooskies wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I think Okoro is your SG. Hes not a SF no matter how many people on here want him to be. Unless he grows another 2-3 inches he will always be undersized guarding guys like Tatum, LeBron, Kawhi, Butler, ect

I agree with you on your last point with Sexton. Which is why I would be shopping him heavily this offseason while he may not have a higher value than he does now

Okoro is proving without DG out there that he is best offensively with the ball in his hands as a slashing small forward there is literally nothing about his lack of a pull up game that should make you think he is an off ball guard in any universe. WIll he have some problems defending the teams best 3-4 sized player as he gets better? I doubt it very much as he is often doing that as a rookie and not doing too bad considering.
All of these people claiming he is limited to being a sg are not seeing the big picture.
Sexton is never getting shopped after proving in these last 7 games to be fine as a distributor without our glorified lob pitch dribble tank commander out there.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers