20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Re: 20-21 OKC Thunder Regular Season News 

Post#821 » by Old Man Game » Mon May 10, 2021 9:02 pm

slick_watts wrote:we're now a bottom 12 team of all time by srs, with the 10th worst offense ever.

it's a pity that we couldn't go the whole season like this. we would have set records. what an epic tank job, the boston win notwithstanding. sam presti deserves a round of applause.

Its wild that he's avoided any criticism from the 'respect the game' crowd. Other than Justin Termine on Sirius XM NBA Radio I can't recall anyone this season even mentioning. It probably says a lot about how irrelevant the OKC market is.
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#822 » by thedoppelganger » Mon May 10, 2021 9:10 pm

slick_watts wrote:we're now a bottom 12 team of all time by srs, with the 10th worst offense ever.

it's a pity that we couldn't go the whole season like this. we would have set records. what an epic tank job, the boston win notwithstanding. sam presti deserves a round of applause.

Read on Twitter

Already setting records. Boston win was annoying, but probability was we’d win a random game. The bad wins were pre-all star break where we had improbable 4th quarter comebacks against the Bulls and Grizzlies, or having to play Minnesota twice before KAT was back.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#823 » by Dadouv47 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:24 pm

Still gonna argue we started the tank a bit too late and should have rest Dort/SGA is some key games against the Wolves and Houston.

Houston was probably out of reach but a bottom 2 record was pretty easy to reach.

No idea if we will get lucky or not in the lottery but we better draft well because our team is trash (even if I like some guys)
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#824 » by jake_swivel » Mon May 10, 2021 11:42 pm

If they end the season tied for 3rd, I’m absolutely not going to complain. They increased Al’s value, saw that Shai was worth the max, developed some young dudes, picked up a few seconds, and put themselves in position to have a nice pick. Sure they could have lost more, but Presti accomplished multiple objectives, which is pretty impressive. A lot of tank years not only destroy culture, but also devalue their roster on the way.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#825 » by thedoppelganger » Tue May 11, 2021 12:10 am

Read on Twitter
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#826 » by Dadouv47 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 am

jake_swivel wrote:If they end the season tied for 3rd, I’m absolutely not going to complain. They increased Al’s value, saw that Shai was worth the max, developed some young dudes, picked up a few seconds, and put themselves in position to have a nice pick. Sure they could have lost more, but Presti accomplished multiple objectives, which is pretty impressive. A lot of tank years not only destroy culture, but also devalue their roster on the way.

Shai being an elite player is the only VERY good thing from this season.

Then I'm happy about Dort's season, showing he can be a pretty elite role player; pretty optmistic about Poku & Maledon even if I can't be overconfident because Poku could still be a major bust but I understand why Presti picked him. Also like Jerome.

In terms of players I guess Bazley is my biggest disappointment. I like his ceiling but I'm not sure he's mentally ready to work as much as guys like Shai & Dort.

Horford slightly improved his trade value but it won't change much for us. And obviously I wanted us to finish with a bottom 2 record.

Overall it's a good season but we badly need to draft some good players (well at least one)
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#827 » by Old Man Game » Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 pm

Reading this article on advanced stats and defense I can't help but recall the years of debates lodged on forums such as this one and the Daily Thunder comments over guys like Andre Roberson. Invariably, people would point out his defensive metrics and say (often quite condescendingly) that Roberson was obviously worth having on the floor, so what if he was airballing free throws etc.

Well, as it turns out, front offices don't even fully trust those measures and can't even agree on their value. I feel like maybe this should be a lesson that just because a site puts out a fancy sounding stat (RAPTOR it sounds so cool) doesn't mean you can just automatically take it to the bank.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#828 » by jake_swivel » Tue May 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Reading this article on advanced stats and defense I can't help but recall the years of debates lodged on forums such as this one and the Daily Thunder comments over guys like Andre Roberson. Invariably, people would point out his defensive metrics and say (often quite condescendingly) that Roberson was obviously worth having on the floor, so what if he was airballing free throws etc.

Well, as it turns out, front offices don't even fully trust those measures and can't even agree on their value. I feel like maybe this should be a lesson that just because a site puts out a fancy sounding stat (RAPTOR it sounds so cool) doesn't mean you can just automatically take it to the bank.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

RAPTOR is a terrible stat. It doesn't even count how many times you slap the floor with a mean face.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#829 » by Dadouv47 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:16 pm

who wins the tiebreaker between the clippers and Denver? Gotta hope LA have something to play for in the game against us.

Miami pick looking terrible right now. Hope we can find a way to move up into the top 10-12 if the houston pick swap doesn't convey.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#830 » by jambalaya » Thu May 13, 2021 12:18 am

A question for someone here who knows:

Has Daily Thunder game chatter crowd moved somewhere or is it gone for now in reaction to the elimination of game threads? Curious. Could it drift over here next season?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#831 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 13, 2021 12:40 am

jambalaya wrote:A question for someone here who knows:

Has Daily Thunder game chatter crowd moved somewhere or is it gone for now in reaction to the elimination of game threads? Curious. Could it drift over here next season?

It still seems to be there under the comment section of the most recent article.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,905

Post#832 » by Dn4sty » Thu May 13, 2021 2:07 am

Cavs maybe
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#833 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:15 am

Cleveland winning is huge.

Boy we started the tank a bit late but we made such a good job...we better not win another game to ruin it.

Even if we get unlucky in the draft, I like our chances to move up from pick 6 or 7 to n°5.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#834 » by Devilanche » Thu May 13, 2021 2:34 am

Dadouv47 wrote:Cleveland winning is huge.

Boy we started the tank a bit late but we made such a good job...we better not win another game to ruin it.

Even if we get unlucky in the draft, I like our chances to move up from pick 6 or 7 to n°5.

I think active tanking teams are fluid . If they see their competition winning the team might be more likely to win but if nobody winning , a few more guys will be rested as a precaution.

Now does anyone sees Pistons or Magic winning one more game each ?
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#835 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 13, 2021 2:46 am

Devilanche wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:Cleveland winning is huge.

I think active tanking teams are fluid . If they see their competition winning the team might be more likely to win but if nobody winning , a few more guys will be rested as a precaution.

Now does anyone sees Pistons or Magic winning one more game each ?

Pistons won't win another game this season (facing Nuggets and Heat).

I kind of like the odds of Orlando winning another game though. if the Sixers win against Miami tomorrow, they will be a lock for first in the East and are playing Orlando twice. They may still try to win thinking about HCA in a potential Finals but they should rest a lot of players.

Guess LA will not rest all their players against us but I'm a bit worried about our last game against Utah (likeky first seed in the league locked).
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#836 » by jake_swivel » Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 am

Wow....holy smokes. To end in a two way tie for third would be such a huge win. OKC has way overshot my tanking expectation. If you need me, I’ll be at tankathon.com
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#837 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:02 am

jake_swivel wrote:Wow....holy smokes. To end in a two way tie for third would be such a huge win. OKC has way overshot my tanking expectation. If you need me, I’ll be at tankathon.com

damn don't jynx us!

2 more to go. Focus on the tank :lol:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#838 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 13, 2021 3:19 am

So we have a 83% chance of getting a top 5 pick this season. HOLD plz.

If we only get a top 5 pick (Kuminga) I'm fine with it but it would hurt so much to get picks 7 & 19

Top 3 pick + miami pick or picks 5 and 6 would be crazy good already (yeah I know we can get better but trying to find the most likely good scenario)
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#839 » by jambalaya » Thu May 13, 2021 3:22 am

I see one pseudo comment / GIF in the most recent crossbolt thread and none in several other recent threads.
thedoppelganger
Senior

Post#840 » by thedoppelganger » Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 am

Not that I’m not too worried given we just lost 3 times to a Kings team without Fox, Hali, and Barnes, but for Utah and Clips to need to try against us we need:

Utah to lose tonight or Phoenix to win tomorrow, either one means Utah needs to beat us still to get the 1 seed.

Denver to be within 1 game of the Clips going into the final day, which seems likely as they play Minnesota/Detroit before then. Denver has the tiebreaker on the Clips, but there may be some jockeying from those teams if they need to avoid the Lakers in round 1 (which seems unlikely).

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder