ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#1341 » by Feed Your Head » Sat May 8, 2021 11:03 pm

31to6 wrote:Thanks Comedian. I know this is a very minor point, and I don't mean to distract from the fact that I am a big Tatum fan, and hope he develops into a guy that can lead us to the next banners -- but it seems like a weakness re: having him as our starting 4 indefinitely. Maybe it's been mentioned in GTs. Or maybe it's nothing in which case carry on.

I think he’s at his best offensively as a 4, more of a 3 defensively. But as he continues to bulk up, I’m not too concerned about him at the 4 longterm.

At this point, there’s not much of a difference between 3s and 4s anyways.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#1342 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 8, 2021 11:28 pm

The Comedian wrote:
31to6 wrote:Thanks Comedian. I know this is a very minor point, and I don't mean to distract from the fact that I am a big Tatum fan, and hope he develops into a guy that can lead us to the next banners -- but it seems like a weakness re: having him as our starting 4 indefinitely. Maybe it's been mentioned in GTs. Or maybe it's nothing in which case carry on.

I think he’s at his best offensively as a 4, more of a 3 defensively. But as he continues to bulk up, I’m not too concerned about him at the 4 longterm.

At this point, there’s not much of a difference between 3s and 4s anyways.

I'd like to see him more at the 3. And, have someone else in there at the 4.
But, we'll see. With Fournier on the team now, we may have to have Tatum at the 4.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1343 » by Feed Your Head » Sun May 9, 2021 12:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#1344 » by playa-hater » Sun May 9, 2021 12:58 am

31to6 wrote:okay so I have a specific Tatum complaint that I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on:
multiple times I've seen him give zero resistance at the rim defensively this season.
probably figuring he's in the restricted circle and doesn't want to give someone an '+1' -- but it's seemed glaring
I don't have highlights queued up about it, nor can I point you to specific games.

So:
1. has anyone else noticed this?
2. anyone know Tatum's defensive metrics at the rim this season?

It seems like an area for growth, for him. Sometimes you've got to foul a guy, just because.

This is only a guess, but what if he fears foul trouble especially when considering he hasn't been getting the "star" calls that other "stars" seem to get.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1345 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Advanced stats unfairly hate Jaylen, so just ignore him grading so low.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#1346 » by bisme37 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Speaking of JT, I kinda hope the Olympics end up getting postponed this year. I imagine he'll def get an offer to play for Team USA and be tempted to do it, but he really needs some damn rest.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1347 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 12, 2021 6:17 pm

bisme37 wrote:Speaking of JT, I kinda hope the Olympics end up getting postponed this year. I imagine he'll def get an offer to play for Team USA and be tempted to do it, but he really needs some damn rest.

Strongly agreed.
jumblin
Rookie
And1: 1,088

Post#1348 » by jumblin » Thu May 13, 2021 3:27 am

10 years from yall will realize you've been trying to win a championship with Melo 2.0 as your centerpiece. Will never happen. Great scorer, great talent. Not a leader, not a guy who makes his team better. He'll get his and his teams will be consistently average.

Danny needs to either bring in a true alpha leader personality to be the tone setter and put Tatum in a robin role, or he needs to trade Tatum. Or option 3, keep Tatum as your centerpiece and be mediocre forever.
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1349 » by ZeroTolerance » Thu May 13, 2021 3:47 am

IMO.... he's there right now....it won't get any better.....time to move on from him....

Ala. Kevin Durant...the classic "second fiddle"....trade high NOW!
ZeroTolerance
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Post#1350 » by ZeroTolerance » Thu May 13, 2021 4:41 am

jumblin wrote:10 years from yall will realize you've been trying to win a championship with Melo 2.0 as your centerpiece. Will never happen. Great scorer, great talent. Not a leader, not a guy who makes his team better. He'll get his and his teams will be consistently average.

Danny needs to either bring in a true alpha leader personality to be the tone setter and put Tatum in a robin role, or he needs to trade Tatum. Or option 3, keep Tatum as your centerpiece and be mediocre forever.

Trade em....while he is topped out....go get Luca ...and pay Cuban's price....keep Smart and Brown and the new rook Neismith and the Timelord.... after this season, any of the others can exit stage right....sick of Brad...sick of the Tatum
hype....sick of the part time players....no heart....at least not every night....

The NBA has become the worst soap opera as far as players sitting out with a sore pinky...crist even LBJ is doing that now! Where the hell is Dave Cowens, Havelcek and Bird when you need them?..... Even a KG... they all are so soft!..... And the crazy money that they all make is obscene....You don't have to be little old lady Clara Peller to yell "wheres the beef"?

Slap some sense into em Perk...I dare ya!
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#1351 » by peachbucket » Thu May 13, 2021 7:14 am

jumblin wrote:10 years from yall will realize you've been trying to win a championship with Melo 2.0 as your centerpiece. Will never happen. Great scorer, great talent. Not a leader, not a guy who makes his team better. He'll get his and his teams will be consistently average.

Bingo...your not winning championship with him as your number 1. He doesn’t have the iq to run team.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#1352 » by ParticleMan » Thu May 13, 2021 8:38 am

Tatum assists in his first 4 years: 1.6, 2.1, 3.0, 4.4.
Sense a trend there?
For comparison, in like 18 years, Melo's highest assist total was 4.2, with a career average of 2.8.

Tatum is DEFINITELY not Melo. But he has to have teammates that can make a damn shot when he passes it to them.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1353 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu May 13, 2021 9:03 am

The Comedian wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Speaking of JT, I kinda hope the Olympics end up getting postponed this year. I imagine he'll def get an offer to play for Team USA and be tempted to do it, but he really needs some damn rest.

Strongly agreed.

I basically agree. But a large fraction of the league's top players will be in the same boat. Embiid's and Townes' national teams may not be good enough to make the Olympics, but who else?

The Celtics invited would start with Tatum and Fournier, especially since Brown is unavailable.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,447

Post#1354 » by bisme37 » Wed May 19, 2021 4:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1355 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Like I said in the VC thread, it wasn’t just the points, he rebounded, made a bunch of great passes, and defended his ass off.

I also love that it wasn’t just a case of him hitting any shot he threw up there, he had to earn his points. It was a perfect example of a guy just refusing to let his team lose.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#1356 » by Slax » Wed May 19, 2021 6:13 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm not entirely sure how this is being calculated. Going from basketball-reference, I have Tony Parker at 1087 points and Tatum at either 975 or 925 depending on whether or not the play-in game counts for playoff stats (I think it should but I'm not sure).

In any case, Tatum has clearly done something incredibly rare by being the best scorer on a playoffs team starting from his rookie year, and leading his team deep into the playoffs several years in a row. Fingers crossed he can beat the odds and manage another deep run this year! 8-)
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Post#1357 » by Ben-N1ce » Wed May 19, 2021 8:53 pm

Colin Sexton with a worse demeanor and less impact on winning.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1358 » by Bleeding Green » Wed May 19, 2021 9:29 pm

^Celtics RealGM, in two posts.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1359 » by Feed Your Head » Wed May 19, 2021 10:45 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:Colin Sexton with a worse demeanor and less impact on winning.

The Colin Sexton post in that gamethread was BIZARRE.

I believe the quote was “Tatum is better, but not by much.”
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#1360 » by Feed Your Head » Thu May 20, 2021 3:23 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Boston Celtics